PDA

View Full Version : Tipping for Furniture Delivery

Sooner Mommy
3/20/2008, 09:42 AM
Just a quick question - I figure I'll be able to get a few good answers here! Is it customary to tip for furniture delivery? If so, how much? We're having 2 children's beds, 2 dressers, and 2 nightstands delivered tomorrow. We've already paid a $50 delivery charge, and this includes assembly of the beds. Thanks!

Mjcpr
3/20/2008, 09:47 AM
I don't know about customary but it seems like a nice thing to do if you can afford a little extry...especially since they're going to put together the beds for you. You can bet they're not getting the $50 delivery charge which, to me, seems like a pretty reasonable amount to pay for delivery.

Pricetag
3/20/2008, 09:48 AM
It's their job to do all that stuff.

Mjcpr
3/20/2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, yeah, just like it's the pizza boy's job to deliver the pizza or the waitress' job to bring you Dr Pepper after Dr Pepper. The point is, it seems like the considerate thing to do if you can afford the extry is all I'm saying.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/20/2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah, yeah, just like it's the pizza boy's job to deliver the pizza or the waitress' job to bring you Dr Pepper after Dr Pepper. The point is, it seems like the considerate thing to do if you can afford the extry is all I'm saying.

Word.

StoopTroup
3/20/2008, 10:01 AM
Call the folks you bought the furniture and ask them.

If the delivery guys are on time, don't damage anything and don't take all day putting it together....

I'd probably give each $10.00 to buy their lunch.

VeeJay
3/20/2008, 10:03 AM
I had some guys that were cutting trees in my yard a few years ago. I know it is hard work. One of the guys kept telling me that he expected me to tip him and his homies because the "boss man" didn't take care of them.

StoopTroup
3/20/2008, 10:04 AM
I had some guys that were cutting trees in my yard a few years ago. I know it is hard work. One of the guys kept telling me that he expected me to tip him and his homies because the "boss man" didn't take care of them.

I would have told him to get off my property...then I would have tipped everyone who kept their mouth shut.

VeeJay
3/20/2008, 10:11 AM
I never used them again. The next time I had trees cut the company I used had a guy who was obviously likkered up.

I believe that when prisons release inmates in Florida, they are required to work for tree cutting companies before they're rewarded with probation.

As for the drunk guy, I told the boss man to get his a$$ back in the truck and I made him show me his insurance certificate.

StoopTroup
3/20/2008, 10:16 AM
Good for you.

That would have ****ed me off bad.

Chuck Bao
3/20/2008, 10:16 AM
I always tip delivery people, especially those lifting heavy stuff like furniture, since I live on the third floor of an apartment building.

soonerinabilene
3/20/2008, 10:35 AM
I used to sale furniture. Most of the time, the delivery guys got tipped only if they assembled something for you and didnt mess anything up when they brought it in. The company isnt making anything off of that 50 buck delivery charge. All that does is cover gas and wages for the 2-3 guys that are in the truck. They will, generally speaking, accept a cold beer, though.

Pricetag
3/20/2008, 12:48 PM
I see where you're coming from, but there are like a jillion things in life where "the considerate thing to do" comes out of your pocket, and I don't understand why tipping service folks is so high on the list. Do we give everything we can afford to charity? Do we give everything we can afford to our church? I think in most cases, the answer is "no." Then why are we so concerned with tipping some, but not all, of the folks who we think have jobs that suck worse than our own?

I guess the reason why this bugs me so much is that our expectations are so low that adequately doing a job one is paid to do is seen as worthy of extra compensation. I've seen a few folks in this thread say that if they bring it in and don't mess anything up, give them a tip. What, then, do you do if they bring it in and put a big scratch on the wall in the process? "Bummer, dude. Well, thanks anyway for bringing it in and putting it together for me." Heck no. You're on the phone with the furniture company, getting them to pay for the damage that was done to your home. How, then, does doing the same job, but not damaging your home, vault the service from **** poor to excellent? I just don't get it.

olevetonahill
3/20/2008, 12:49 PM
Id make them bring me some Natty befor I tipped em .
just sayin:cool:

sooneron
3/20/2008, 01:18 PM
If they do a good job and remove boxes etc.- I would give them about 10-15 each depending on how long it took to reasonably perform the task.

walkoffsooner
3/20/2008, 01:29 PM
It's their job to do all that stuff.

Just live by the golden rule you can't go wrong. Besides He or she may be the cook the next time you eat out. You can hide some pretty nasty things under a hamburger bun. Just sayin

Sooner Mommy
3/21/2008, 04:04 PM
I knew I could count on you people for completely conflicting advice! They were right on time, worked quickly, didn't destroy anything, and no one was likkered up, so I tipped them. Thanks!

olevetonahill
3/21/2008, 04:20 PM
We aim to please . You can Tip me with Natty ;)

Okla-homey
3/21/2008, 06:00 PM
I knew I could count on you people for completely conflicting advice! They were right on time, worked quickly, didn't destroy anything, and no one was likkered up, so I tipped them. Thanks!

Next time, consider this. We moved a lot in the military. We always bought our movers the fast-food lunch of their choice, and made sure they had access to a cooler we kept stocked with pop and juice. In over 10 cross-country moves, our stuff never got busted up.

Seems to me, given what they delivered and how long they were at it, you might have done the same thing and they would have been very happy.

TUSooner
3/21/2008, 06:39 PM
Last time I moved, about 1990-something, was not even across town and we didn't have all that much stuff. I bought the 3 guys lunch and kept them hydrated, a la Homey. I tipped em each $10 (IIRC). Fairly generous, I thought
Come to find out, the bastages stole my cam-corder and I had the threaten to sue the moving company in my local small claims court before they coughed up tree-fiddy for a replacment.

:mad: :(

shaun4411
3/21/2008, 07:15 PM
just have a couple little caesars pizzas lying around and ask if they want a pizza break. then show them your cosongas.

Sooner Mommy
3/21/2008, 10:46 PM
just have a couple little caesars pizzas lying around and ask if they want a pizza break. then show them your cosongas.

It was 3 in the afternoon, so I'm not sure they were hungry for pizza.

I don't know if they would have enjoyed 7.5 month-pregnant cosongas, either :eek:

My dad was in the Army, so we (by "we," I mean my parents) ALWAYS fed the movers at the house - my dad's philosophy was that their not having them leave the house kept them from losing about an hour and half of work each day.

You guys crack me up! I've really got to start posting more.

Mjcpr
3/21/2008, 10:51 PM
Next time, consider this. We moved a lot in the military. We always bought our movers the fast-food lunch of their choice, and made sure they had access to a cooler we kept stocked with pop and juice. In over 10 cross-country moves, our stuff never got busted up.

Seems to me, given what they delivered and how long they were at it, you might have done the same thing and they would have been very happy.

So, basically, you tipped them.

SleestakSooner
3/21/2008, 11:55 PM
When people are taking care of you, feeding you or moving your precious possessions it is a damn good idea to tip them. Try delivering pizza in your own vehicle for a few days. you think dominos is paying those poor ****ers enough to take care of the wear and tear to their car?

Pricetag, did you play Mr Pink in Reservoir Dogs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir_Dogs)?

olevetonahill
3/22/2008, 01:04 AM
Last time I moved, about 1990-something, was not even across town and we didn't have all that much stuff. I bought the 3 guys lunch and kept them hydrated, a la Homey. I tipped em each $10 (IIRC). Fairly generous, I thought
Come to find out, the bastages stole my cam-corder and I had the threaten to sue the moving company in my local small claims court before they coughed up tree-fiddy for a replacment.

:mad: :(

Them Bastages !:mad:

olevetonahill
3/22/2008, 01:08 AM
It was 3 in the afternoon, so I'm not sure they were hungry for pizza.

I don't know if they would have enjoyed 7.5 month-pregnant cosongas, either :eek:

My dad was in the Army, so we (by "we," I mean my parents) ALWAYS fed the movers at the house - my dad's philosophy was that their not having them leave the house kept them from losing about an hour and half of work each day.

You guys crack me up! I've really got to start posting more.

We need Pics On those 7.5 Cosongas !
Hell They may be worth The Furniture and the tip .:D

VeeJay
3/22/2008, 09:46 AM
Does "cosongas" = "tittays"