PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Oldest Movie You Ever Watched?

stoopified
3/18/2008, 04:59 PM
I was up late or early(depending on your point of view )and saw a SILENT movie called THE GENERAL,starring Buster Keaton(original Tarzan),it was made in 1927.I know one thing after watching it,silent movies suck.

BigRedJed
3/18/2008, 05:03 PM
The Birth of a Nation. After that, probably Metropolis, as far as full-length features go.

C&CDean
3/18/2008, 05:05 PM
Nosferatu (or however the hell you spell that vampire flick).

stoopified
3/18/2008, 05:07 PM
The Birth of a Nation. After that, probably Metropolis, as far as full-length features go.Mtropolis came on after The General but ionly saw about 5 minutes of it because I was tired/bored.I think in came out in 1926.I have seen clips from Birth of A Nation,isn't it a Klan thing?When was it made?

BigRedJed
3/18/2008, 05:10 PM
The Birth of a Nation was filmed in the teens. And yeah, it dealt with the Klan and Reconstruction. Highly controversial. Watched it in a film class.

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2008, 06:09 PM
Along with Birth of a Nation and Nosferatu I think Potemkin might be the oldest I've seen. Not sure what the relative dates on these were.

Jed, sounds like we both took Intro to Film and Video at OU.

I remember my professor was trying really hard to get me to switch majors. I felt really bad for her, but I was thinking "Er, yeah, if I'm going to major in Film I probably wouldn't do it at OU."

shaun4411
3/18/2008, 06:12 PM
The Birth of a Nation. After that, probably Metropolis, as far as full-length features go.

Metropolis for me too.

birddog
3/18/2008, 06:29 PM
battleship potemkin.

BigRedJed
3/18/2008, 06:29 PM
Along with Birth of a Nation and Nosferatu I think Potemkin might be the oldest I've seen. Not sure what the relative dates on these were.

Jed, sounds like we both took Intro to Film and Video at OU.

I remember my professor was trying really hard to get me to switch majors. I felt really bad for her, but I was thinking "Er, yeah, if I'm going to major in Film I probably wouldn't do it at OU."
Yeah, I don't remember the professor's name, but it was a guy. He had a Hitchcock obsession, I remember that part. Not a very memorable class, and I love film.

Scott D
3/18/2008, 06:38 PM
Nosferatu (or however the hell you spell that vampire flick).

you actually spelled it right. It's also the oldest film I've seen. I think it's a shame that there is a fair sized chunk of the film that was destroyed and been missing on any release of it other than the original theatric release.

TAFBSooner
3/18/2008, 09:00 PM
Wings, from 1927. Nowhere near the record here, but I did get to see it in a theater with a piano player doing the original score.

The movie was filmed in part at Kelly Field, where I was working at the time I saw it.

fadada1
3/18/2008, 09:31 PM
caligula.