PDA

View Full Version : I don't fear the loss of Lofton as much as some

Blitzkrieg
3/18/2008, 03:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, that guy mauled people instead of tackling them, and he was a physical presence that scared QBs into bad performances when he was turned loose, ask Chase Daniel.

When I look at our last two AA linebackers, Lofton and Alexander, then I look at their physical abilties and combine numbers, I realize they are "system" linebackers, much like we like to brand QBs that don't live up to the hype in the pros.

We all know that we have our d-line clutch and hold allowing our linebackers to make plays, and since 2000, look at what we've had at LB, then name the player that did jack spit in the NFL. Torrence Marhsall, Rocky Calmus, Teddy Lehman, Pasha Jackson, Rufus Alexander, they all were big time names in college football, and not one made a mark in the NFL, Lehman still could, but honestly, he looks overmatched when I see him subbing in Detroit games, they just traded him for nothing much. NFL success isn't the end all be all, or you could argue that Josh Heuepel wasn't that great of a player, and he might be my favorite college player of all time, when it comes to cajones and will to win.

We'll be fine at LB.

oupride
3/18/2008, 03:33 PM
You could be right. I was worried as heck when Rocky left! We were fine with Teddy!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/18/2008, 03:39 PM
i'd agree with you IF we had more "system" linebackers on campus. do we have any? ryan reynolds was picked on by every team we played last year. for him to be the "man" this year he has to make a quantum leap in a) not jumping on his pre-snap read before the ball is snapped b) getting physical with OL instead of chicken fighting them and c) staying in the lane he is responsible for regardless of what you think the O is doing.

Collier11
3/18/2008, 03:52 PM
i'd agree with you IF we had more "system" linebackers on campus. do we have any? ryan reynolds was picked on by every team we played last year. for him to be the "man" this year he has to make a quantum leap in a) not jumping on his pre-snap read before the ball is snapped b) getting physical with OL instead of chicken fighting them and c) staying in the lane he is responsible for regardless of what you think the O is doing.

Keep in mind that Reynolds was dogged by injuries all year. He will now be 100% and has a full off season to get stronger and faster which he hasnt had since he has been here. I look forward to seeing what a full spring and summer will do for him.

As to any other lb's, we have lewis, box, crow, robinson, clayton, and Franklin. While all are relatively inexperienced I think the one thing we can all agree on with BV is the LB's will be ready to play well! Also, we may see some of Jeremy Beal in the hybrid stand up role that is becoming popular. We will be fine IMO

soonerspudman
3/18/2008, 05:09 PM
Agree up to a point, but let's not kid ourselves, stats or no stats, Loften had a nose for the ball and was a natural-born playmaker. Until proven otherwise, we don't have a 1-for-1replacement for him...

oupride
3/18/2008, 05:54 PM
Clayton will have a break-out season, write it down.

fadada1
3/18/2008, 09:28 PM
linebacker seems to be the one area where we seem to have doubts going into the year, but all-american's at the end of the year. on the flip side, all the publications and espn seem to "cream themselves" about our secondary, yet we consistently fail to deliver for an entire year (with the exception of a great game hear and there).

i'm less worried about LBs and the D-line, and more worried about safties getting their asses handed to them every other play. let's worry about the things costing us games (other than refs, of course) and hope they can be fixed.

adoniijahsooner
3/18/2008, 09:37 PM
I think that Balogun guy is going to be a very good middle linebacker when He arrives this summer. I do not trust ryan reynolds at middle linebacker, if he is the best we have then look for a long season.

JLEW1818
3/22/2008, 11:16 AM
Okay, so who on the defense is the guy who has to step up most this year besides Ryan Reynolds?

Collier11
3/22/2008, 11:18 AM
Jeremy Beal

MojoRisen
3/22/2008, 11:29 AM
Speed can be over rated when it comes to instincts and nose for the ball.

Rufus and Lofton were really good backers... They both run high 47s but that is plenty fast in the flats and making reads covering 10-20 yards.

We have had Juco's come in and be an immedaite impact before and I don't see why that can't happen now. Also I feel those defenses were better so either BV get's ready to really coach em up or simplify's it a bit so we can get the best players on the field and let them make plays.

Lamont Robinson has not seen much game action- but he has played all 3 line backer positions for depth and knows all the positions.

Auston Box - I think will be a playmaker that we want in there 45-46 speed.

Keenan Clayton - 225 is fast, strong and explosive - he has practiced here for a year now.

Reynolds - Experience and a full off season

2 JUCO Transfers - one should emerge if not both based on past experience with JUCO'S Like Pasha Jackson and the other number 10.

Collier11
3/22/2008, 11:33 AM
David Sims I think will be one of our KR's and has a good chance to start at Safety

Charla
3/22/2008, 04:22 PM
Maybe if we could get somebody that could catch that slow white fullback that torched us in the Fiesta Bowl or maybe someone that could shut down that vaunted Tech running game. I'm sure coach Vulnerable will come up with another bend over but don't break scheme.

Collier11
3/22/2008, 04:24 PM
Maybe if we could get somebody that could catch that slow white fullback that torched us in the Fiesta Bowl or maybe someone that could shut down that vaunted Tech running game. I'm sure coach Vulnerable will come up with another bend over but don't break scheme.

Tech running game?

effay
3/22/2008, 05:29 PM
Lofton a system player? I disagree. System players are Hawaii and TTU QBs; Lofton is widely considered the top MLB in the draft.

I will agree though that loosing him isn't going to kill us. I think the opportunity to move RR to MLB is something that needed to happen after his injury.

INGRAM1
3/23/2008, 11:20 AM
Teddy was not traded he was a free agent that signed with the Bucs. I think we will be fine. I do not care how they do in the pros. I would like them to do good but as long as their Sooners and turn into good people than I will be fine with it. Go Sooners.

princetonsooner
3/23/2008, 06:40 PM
Our LB'S were average at best with Loften being the only one above average.Clayton couldn't tackle as a safety,now he's a linebacker! No doubt this is an area of concern.Strength,speed all of the above are issues. Our D-Line has been carrying these people. Jackie doesn't get enough love.

goingoneight
3/24/2008, 12:47 AM
OUr hot and cold DL is the reason OUr secondary gets nagged on all the time. For two downs, we're all over the QB, but then there's always this down where we allow five to seven seconds for a play to develop. 9/10 times... if a play lasts more than five seconds before the throw... it's not good for your defense.