PDA

View Full Version : Top 7 Big 12 QBs

oupride
3/17/2008, 11:02 AM
List your top 7 starting quarterbacks in the Big 12, not how they fared in 2007 but on their individual skills i.e. athletism, agility, size, speed, accuracy, decision making, etc. I think everyones top 4 will be similiar and I could name 5 off the top of my head, but 6 and 7 could be interesting to see what everyone else here thinks.

MojoRisen
3/17/2008, 11:10 AM
1. Chase Daniels
2. Graham Harrel
3. Sam Bradford
4. Colt Mccoy
5. Kansas dude
6. Mcghee A&M
7. Freeman K State

Easting
3/17/2008, 11:18 AM
1. Sam Bradford (Boomer!)
2. Todd Reesing (KU)
3. Kerry Meier (KU) yeah, I know he doesn't start.
4. Graham Harrell (TT)
5. eh....the rest are average in my opinion.

freshchris05
3/17/2008, 11:26 AM
homer... heh

Sonner magic923
3/17/2008, 12:25 PM
1.Sam Bradford
2.Joey Halzle
3.Keith Nichol
4.Landry Jones
5.John Nimmo
6.Chase Daniel
7.Colt Mccoy
:D

JLEW1818
3/17/2008, 12:38 PM
1. Sam Bradford (I really think so)
2. Chase Daniel
3. Colt Mccoy
4. Graham Harrel (anybody can get yards/tds at that school)
5. Todd Reesing (KU)
6. Steve Mcghee A&M

Salt City Sooner
3/17/2008, 12:40 PM
IF (& it's a big if, because the sample size isn't the biggest) Ganz from NU performs anything close to like he did in his 3 starts last year (vs. KU,KSU, & CU) when Keller got hurt, you've got to put him in there somewhere. His lowest output in that stretch was 405 yards. It's a pick primarily based on potential, but he looked awfully good when he got on the field.

Blitzkrieg
3/17/2008, 12:54 PM
Chase Daniel
Harrell
Sam Bradford
McCoy
Reesing

You are total homer if you think Ou wouldn't be the pre season #1 team and heavy favorite with Daniel as QB on our team.

soonerfan28
3/17/2008, 02:24 PM
You are total homer if you think Ou wouldn't be the pre season #1 team and heavy favorite with Daniel as QB on our team

Daniel is good, but I think that Bradford has better decision making skills. He can also see better downfield being 6'5 and not 5'11. It also doesn't hurt that he has put on more weight and increased his speed.

shaun4411
3/17/2008, 03:03 PM
ohh osu fans would call you all homers for not having robinson at the top 3. you guys are osu haters you dont know ANYTHING. robinson would BE A 4 YEAR STARTER IN NORMAN!!

trey
3/17/2008, 04:11 PM
it's DANIEL! not DANIELS! how hard is it? & for future reference it's HEUPEL and LEINART.

carry on

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2008, 04:32 PM
So is Chase Daniels related to Jeff Daniels the actor? What about Jack Daniels?

snp
3/17/2008, 04:54 PM
1. Chase Daniel
2. Sam Bradford
3. Zac Robinson
4. Graham Harrel
5. Todd Reesing
6. Colt McCoy
7. Cody Hawkins

JohnnyMack
3/17/2008, 05:06 PM
1. Chase Daniel
2. Sam Bradford
3. Zac Robinson
4. Graham Harrel
5. Todd Reesing
6. Colt McCoy
7. Cody Hawkins

I'd swap out McGhee for Hawkins.

I'd also put Reesing at 7, McCoy at 5 and McGhee at 6.

C&CDean
3/17/2008, 05:07 PM
So, how many of these boys are coming back next year?

soonerfan28
3/17/2008, 05:16 PM
1. Sam Bradford
2. Graham Harrell
3. Zac Robinson
4. Chase Daniel
5. Cody Hawkins
6. Colt McCoy
7. Todd Reesing

snp
3/17/2008, 05:26 PM
I'd swap out McGhee for Hawkins.

I'd also put Reesing at 7, McCoy at 5 and McGhee at 6.

I've lost faith in McGee's passing ability and he's not going to be the running threat in Shermans offense next year. Hawkins is coming off a freshman campaign that was commendable and knows the offense just as well as his dad. I expect a big year in terms of efficency next year for Hawkins along with a better offense.

McCoy and Ressing were a tossup for me.

So, how many of these boys are coming back next year?

Bradford, Harrell, McCoy, Robinson, McGee, Reesing, Daniel, Freeman, Ganz, Hawkins, Syzmanksi although he may not start for Baylor. Only Keller and Meyer don't return.

The Maestro
3/17/2008, 06:03 PM
Why top 7? Odd number to choose. I've never heard of a "Top 7" list.

Kudos for originality.

BoulderSooner79
3/17/2008, 06:24 PM
This is a tough apples/oranges/ducks comparison. But arbitrarily, going by what was asked of them vs. delivered.

1. Chase Daniel.
2. Bradford
3. McCoy
4 Reesing (pure grit)
5. Others...

I think McCoy gets dinged too much for drop from Freshman year. The O-line wasn't nearly as good and number were going to drop. He did try to do too much at times, but the guy made some incredible runs at clutch times. If Sam can improve throwing while rolling out in both directions and move better in the pocket to buy time, he should be #1 on the list at the end of next year. As for Harrell, he was shut down several times this year like at Mizzou and 2nd half of OU and Virginia.

JLEW1818
3/17/2008, 06:32 PM
How bout this Chase Daniel will never play in a NFL game, ever. I would say honestly he is 5'10 or shorter. I dont care whats on paper. Great college qb, not so much for nfl. Sam Bradford 6'5. bling bling! As far as tech's qb who was the last qb they ever had who was not in the top 5 in passing ??? honestly. Anybody with a decent arm can play there. Colt Mccoy will also be an nfl qb. JMO.

BoulderSooner79
3/17/2008, 07:22 PM
How bout this Chase Daniel will never play in a NFL game, ever. I would say honestly he is 5'10 or shorter. I dont care whats on paper. Great college qb, not so much for nfl. Sam Bradford 6'5. bling bling! As far as tech's qb who was the last qb they ever had who was not in the top 5 in passing ??? honestly. Anybody with a decent arm can play there. Colt Mccoy will also be an nfl qb. JMO.

My comments were strictly about being a college QB and what they do for their respective teams. As far as NFL potential, I agree only Bradford and McCoy have a shot, but it's too early to tell on both of them. Very few QB's enter the NFL each year that turn into starters. Sam has the height and I hear he has put on muscle. His delivery is a little "shot put" like he didn't throw a great deep ball. But he's only had 1 year as a RS FR., so there's a lot of upside.

soonerfan28
3/17/2008, 07:36 PM
I might be comparing apples to oranges, but Flutie played in the NFL and he was like 5'7. Daniel is a great scrambler and can make things happen from time to time. Consistency hasn't seemed to be there for Mizzou and I don't know if they can do what they did last year, but if so that's better for the Big 12.

OU-HSV
3/17/2008, 07:49 PM
Daniel is good, but I think that Bradford has better decision making skills. He can also see better downfield being 6'5 and not 5'11. It also doesn't hurt that he has put on more weight and increased his speed.

I'm with ya on this. Chase is a good qb, no doubt...however Chase throws short routes better than deep routes. And Sam throws better short rotues and definately better deep routes than Chase. Sam had some unbelievable passes last year under pressure and into double coverage at times but threaded them in there perfectly. Call me a homer if you want to...but I'm voting for our record setting QB as #1. (and also I'm not just doing that cause I can't stand Chase Daniel's cry baby azz...but that would be more motivation if I did actually think Chase was better)

So here's how I'm ranking the top 5:
1. Sam Bradford
2. Graham Harrel
3. Chase Daniel
4. Todd Reesing
5. Colt McCoy...
the rest

Rhino
3/17/2008, 08:34 PM
01. Chase Daniel
02. Sam Bradford
03. Graham Harrell
04. Todd Reesing
05. Zac Robinson
06. Joe Ganz
07. Colt McCoy

And just for fun:
08. Stephen McGee
09. Josh Freeman
10. Kirby Freeman / Blake Szymanski
11. Cody Hawkins
12. Austen Arnaud

OU-HSV
3/17/2008, 08:53 PM
Why am I thinking Keller graduated? I'm sure I'm wrong..but that's what I was thinking anyways

Rhino
3/17/2008, 09:00 PM
Why am I thinking Keller graduated? I'm sure I'm wrong..but that's what I was thinking anyways He has. Guess I misread it. I'll fix it.

OU-HSV
3/17/2008, 09:01 PM
He has. Guess I misread it. I'll fix it.

Cool, so I'm one step smarter than I thought I was...awesome :D

SbOrOiNaEnR
3/17/2008, 09:13 PM
12. Austen Arnaud

Who???

"I've never heard of half these guys. And the ones I do know are way passed their prime."
"Most of these guys never had a prime."

Rhino
3/17/2008, 09:14 PM
Who??? The frontrunner for ISU QB.

goingoneight
3/17/2008, 09:31 PM
Considering Sammy B's accomplishments this past year, being the nation's most *efficient* (most effective for what's called of him) quarterback, and considering he was recruited by Texas Tech tells me Leach believes in him, too... how do I not put him ahead of the system guys. Hell, every snap for those guys is a four or five-wide set and they are the center of their offense. System quarterbacks have not traditionally fared well at the next level, however comparing system guys is unfair to say the least. Jamelle Hollieway can't be put in the same competition with a passing-style of QB and comparing Heupel and White was really kinda ridiculous, too.

1. Sam Bradford (has already got out there and proven it, and was one fluke injury away from potentially throwing 40 TDs as a freshmen. Name one other quarterback who has ever done that. The guy could end up falling off a bit as the offense and players around him change eventually, but for now he's got it all. Arm strength, decision-making, footwork, accuracy and while he's not a wishbone or option guy, he is mobile enough to do what a great majority of other great quarterbacks do when a play breaks down. I'll take skills, efficiency, eligibility and class for $500, Alex.)

2. Chase Daniel (As much as I feel he's going to fail at the next level without better coaching, the guy does do a lot with what he's got to work with. Mizzou doesn't have near the quality of speedsters in the WR and DB corps that Oklahoma and Texas have, but this guy manages to run a potent offense and is a Johnny High School kind of quarterback in that he doesn't run OOB, or slide or anything smart like that. He's a dare-devil who takes on linebackers and linemen to get every yard possible. Risk/reward? More of a risk, traditionally... that's why coaches tell you to get down or get away. Count how many times Tom Brady, Tony Romo, either of the Mannings or anyone else in the league right now whose name isn't Dunce Young and they'll tell you get TF down or away from big hitters. His Rhett Bomar mentality is "always cool until someone gets hurt." I'd wager Bomar probably has a little more class in defeat, as well.)

3. Graham Harrell (As much as this screams "system guy," he's not your typical T Tech QB. The play is never over as long as it's in his hands and inbounds. This guy is a heck of a playmaker, but I can't put him any higher than 3 until I see him lead his team better vocally or until he proves he's not just a guy with 10 hands open on short routes every down. Once again, how many Texas Tech quarterbacks are tearing it up in the NFL? About as many as any other BIG 12 school. If Tech's QBs are oh-so-much better and numbers didn't lie, why aren't they winning in places like Norman and why aren't they tearing up quality defenses like Colorado and Oklahoma without the aide of an injured opposing QB and home-field advantage? Still, #3 is a great place to be in this league and means you better damn well play your A-game defensively when he's on the field.)

4. Colt McCoy (Typically, rivals aTm and OU live for two things in the world of football... their own success and laughing at a Texas QB's shortcomings. As much as people pick on this guy, he's been tough as nails and is probably going to surprise everyone how good he'll be at the next level because he's just one of those guys who has a great feel for the game. He makes throws some times that are just sickening to anyone not wearing puke-orange. It doesn't matter where you blitz him or what side you chase him to, he most often manages a great touch on the ball wherever he's going. Also runs the ball surprisingly well.)

5. Todd Reesing (May be five-foot-nothin' but is a straight-up gamer. Lacks arm strength and follows up great plays with bone-headed plays. Also a system guy, but again... how many BCS Bowl rings do Harrell, Combie, Kingsbury, etc. have? We may have seen one of the finest coaching jobs in years last year in Lawrence, but let's not forget Reesing's playmaking abilities. He reminds me of a shorter Paul Smith.)

6. Zac Robinson (Watch out... the world's most powerful quarterback is the pre-season All-American and leading Heisman candidate who will certainly beat "U-O" and play Arizona in the Rose Bowl just to stick it to another Stoops brother. Seriously, though... it's about time someone grew a pair and told Bobby Reid "dude... you suck... this guy runs our system better so **** off dip ****." Mobile, great runner, developing well as a pocket passer, but still lacks ball control and that signature victory. No... 5-7 Nebraska doesn't count... that's like saying Tommie Frazier's win over Oklahoma was an eventful win. "Guyliner" is still the one to build your defense around when visiting Stoolwater.)

7. Cody Hawkins (Looks like a good redshirt freshmen on a young team without a lot of surrounding big-time playmakers.)

OU-HSV
3/17/2008, 09:45 PM
Nice...even 'spektacular' analysis GOE

JLEW1818
3/17/2008, 11:23 PM
we just gotta hope that sammy does not pull a colt mccoy sophomore season.

KantoSooner
3/17/2008, 11:41 PM
And that seques neatly into what I perceive as Sam's greatest asset. Beyond his physical talents and his calm presence of mind on the field he appears to be a very, very well balanced and grounded person. He recently was quoted as saying that he have worse numbers and actually be a better quarterback (indicating that he understands that his role is to perform, yes, but also to lead). That doesn't sound to me like a guy who is going to get all caught up in his own press releases and lose the hunger.

I'm looking forward to an excellent season. Any word on how the qbs looked so far in spring practices?

JLEW1818
3/18/2008, 12:39 AM
Right on Kanto! Sam looks like a leader to me. One of the smartest kids on the team in the class room too. I think we are going to have a real treat for the next 3 years. ALMOST 5 MONTHS AWAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOOMER

goingoneight
3/18/2008, 01:16 AM
Off. Season. Is... ghey.

NYC Poke
3/18/2008, 01:38 AM
Off. Season. Is... ghey.

Agreed, but when you're in prison, sometimes you do things you wouldn't otherwise do.

Big XII returns a lot of great QBs next year. Should be a great year.

I would encourage you, however, not to overlook Zac Robinson.

PASSING AVG/GAME Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Avg/G

9. Bradford, Sam....... OU FR 14 341 237 8 69.5 3121 36 222.9
10.Robinson, Zac....... OSU SO 13 333 201 9 60.4 2824 23 217.2

TOTAL OFFENSE Team Cl G Rush Pass Plays Total Yds/G

5. Robinson, Zac....... OSU SO 13 847 2824 473 3671 282.4

11.Bradford, Sam....... OU FR 14 7 3121 372 3128 223.4

http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/confldrs.html

"Best QB" is pretty subjective. Y'all have a good one, and so do we. So does Mizzou, TT, KU, NU, UT, A&M, CU (depending on who they go with), Baylor (depending on who they go with), KSU (depends on their jucos), and I will admit to knowing nothing about ISU.

Big XII will be strong this year.

JLEW1818
3/18/2008, 02:12 AM
I agree the Big XII will be strong, just seems that OSU cant ever finish. Fields was ya'lls best.

HBick
3/18/2008, 02:39 AM
Chase Daniel
Bradford
Reesing
Harrell (who are you kidding? you think his stats would be that good w/o crab?)
McCoy
Robinson
Cu's QB

oupride
3/18/2008, 08:41 AM
Why top 7? Odd number to choose. I've never heard of a "Top 7" list.

Kudos for originality.

The original idea was to choose top 6, whereas those 6 would represent the best half. However, I thought maybe QB 7 would be good conversation and not necessarily one of the worst half. Perhaps honorable mention or a tie with 6 might define number 7.

stoopified
3/18/2008, 05:02 PM
1.Sam Bradford and the other 6 are all tied for 7th place because IMHO there is a gap between Sam and everyone else.

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2008, 08:16 PM
1. Sam Bradford - OU. Perhaps the best pro style QB in the league and NCAA.
2. Colt McCoy - Texas. When healthy, he is perhaps the best dual threat QB in the League
3. Chase Daniel - Missouri. He would be higher, but is not all that accurate. Reminds me of Brad Smith.
4. Todd Reesing - KU. Accurate, good vision. His size is something less than desirable though.
5. Zac Robinson - OSU. Dual Threat, how will he perform without Savage and Bowman?
6. Graham Harrell - TTU. Texas Tech passes 71% of the time. His numbers will be inflated while at TTU.
7. Cody Hawkins - Colorado. Should improve last years numbers. Has the mechanics to be a very solid D-1A QB.

Salt City Sooner
3/18/2008, 08:38 PM
2. Colt McCoy - Texas. When healthy, he is perhaps the best dual threat QB in the League
3. Chase Daniel - Missouri. He would be higher, but is not all that accurate. Reminds me of Brad Smith.
4. Todd Reesing - KU. Accurate, good vision. His size is something less than desirable though.
5. Zac Robinson - OSU. Dual Threat, how will he perform without Savage and Bowman?
6. Graham Harrell - TTU. Texas Tech passes 71% of the time. His numbers will be inflated while at TTU.
7. Cody Hawkins - Colorado. Should improve last years numbers. Has the mechanics to be a very solid D-1A QB.
I'll buy all that to a certain extent, except one: He may be a brat deluxe, but Daniel's a better QB than Brad Smith ever thought about being, & he's very accurate. The guy hit 68% of his passes last year, & 63% the year before, in his first as the starter. Smith only topped 60% once, & barely then (60.3). Brad did a better VY imitation as far as tucking it in & taking off, but as far as actual QB skills, Booger beats the heck out of him. There's a reason Mizzou topped 30 points in every game last except one & it wears #10.

OU-HSV
3/18/2008, 10:49 PM
I'll buy all that to a certain extent, except one: He may be a brat deluxe, but Daniel's a better QB than Brad Smith ever thought about being, & he's very accurate. The guy hit 68% of his passes last year, & 63% the year before, in his first as the starter. Smith only topped 60% once, & barely then (60.3). Brad did a better VY imitation as far as tucking it in & taking off, but as far as actual QB skills, Booger beats the heck out of him. There's a reason Mizzou topped 30 points in every game last except one & it wears #10.

It's tough to dog on Brad Smith. Pinkel is the reason Brad's numbers didn't reach his potential. Had he let him play to his strengths instead of trying to make him a pocket passer, Brad would've improved his stats IMO.
And due to what games I saw Chase play in, I'm of the mindset that Chase's % is/was high because of all the short routes they run (under 8-10 yards is what I'm considering short). I'm too lazy to look right now, but I really think the YAC by his t.e.'s and w.r.'s is what racked the pass yards up for Mizzou last year...and the short routes that tend to be easier to complete are what helped pad his completion percentage. It's not comparable to Sam who I feel can hit short and deep balls very accurately at any time. Now that's not saying that Chase can't hit a deep ball...just saying that his completion percentage is a little inflated due to the quick short passes they use.

soonerfan28
3/19/2008, 10:42 PM
we just gotta hope that sammy does not pull a colt mccoy sophomore season.

What hurt McCoy was the a rebuilt line. Sam doesn't have to worry about that, at least not yet. We'll worry about that next year. Hopefully their will be enough blow-outs that we can get some young lineman experience. We have the talent there for years to come. Just need the experience after this year.

soonerfan28
3/19/2008, 10:44 PM

Isn't that more like 91% of the time.

Eielson
3/20/2008, 12:14 AM
1. Bradford
2. Daniel
3. Reesing
4. Harrell
5. McCoy
6. Robinson
7. Freeman

goingoneight
3/20/2008, 01:02 AM
There's a reason Mizzou topped 30 points in every game last except one & it wears #10.

Garrett Hartley??? :confused:

Eielson
3/20/2008, 01:53 AM
There's a reason Mizzou topped 30 points in every game last except one & it wears #10.

I thought it was #40?:confused:

oupride
3/20/2008, 08:12 AM

well done

ric311
3/20/2008, 06:44 PM
FYI - Cody Hawkins *might* not even be the starter for CU next year. Word out of Spring practice is that Matt Ballenger is making a big push. Ballenger is 6'5" and apparently has a cannon for an arm. He's hitting all of his receivers and running the offense well. Yeah, it's still Spring, and a lot can change, but the feeling is that Cody has a better grasp of the system, Ballenger has better athletic ability. Coach Hawkins was quoted as saying that they were prepared to take Ballenger's redshirt if there were injuries at QB last year.

Just throwin that out there.

goingoneight
3/21/2008, 12:36 AM
Hawkins was your typical freshmen quarterback. I think he would have been great here with all the surrounding talent we had. But it has to be said that Sam did outlast him in the longrun with not only solid playing but wins and leadership as well.

He has an oppurtunity to be really good this year if his surrounding talent helps him out. I've heard rave reviews about some of their young receivers and getting Darrell Scott is going to be huige for them eventually. CU looks to have everything going well thus far. They were very young a year ago and had no momentum after a 2-10 season in 2006. Now they have a signature win, a signature road win at Tech, they know they can compete and can only get better with time and experience in Hawk's system. Maybe I just don't like Mizzery, but I always liked playing either CU or the one time with NU was awesome for the title.

JLEW1818
3/21/2008, 02:13 AM
Chase Daniel will never play in the NFL ................. EVER

snp
3/21/2008, 02:52 PM
Chase Daniel will never play in the NFL ................. EVER

Neither did Jason White or Josh Heupel but they were better QBs than anyone else in the Big 12 during their years. Your argument sucks.

JohnnyMack
3/21/2008, 03:10 PM
<giggle>

texas bandman
3/22/2008, 12:15 AM
Slingin' Sammy B, I like the sound of it, but it does seem familiar :D

JLEW1818
3/22/2008, 12:20 AM
Neither did Jason White or Josh Heupel but they were better QBs than anyone else in the Big 12 during their years. Your argument sucks.

Did I say that he was not a good college qb??? Your comment sucks. I would expect a lot more from a guy with a GOLD star. Nice job on that. Go sooners.

effay
3/22/2008, 05:45 PM

Actually, from what I hear, Daniel is more like 5'9".

And what is this love-fest with Harrell? He holds the ball way too long and has horrible pocket awareness.

1. Sam Bradford
2. Chase Daniel
3. Todd Reesing
4. Colt McCoy
5. Graham Harrell
6. Josh Freeman
7. Zac Robinson

snp
3/22/2008, 10:32 PM
Did I say that he was not a good college qb??? Your comment sucks. I would expect a lot more from a guy with a GOLD star. Nice job on that. Go sooners.

No, you actually said he was the second best but then you went off topic and started talking about NFL potential. I don't expect a lot with a guy with all that red so I shouldn't have even started with you.

OU-HSV
3/23/2008, 07:41 AM
Actually, from what I hear, Daniel is more like 5'9".

And what is this love-fest with Harrell? He holds the ball way too long and has horrible pocket awareness.

1. Sam Bradford
2. Chase Daniel
3. Todd Reesing
4. Colt McCoy
5. Graham Harrell
6. Josh Freeman
7. Zac Robinson

I seriously doubt Chase is 5'-9". He doesn't look that short on the field from the games of his I've seen in person against us and on t.v. I think he is probably truly 5'-11" pushing 6'-0".
And about Harrell, yeah we know Tech puts "system" QBs out. But system or not you gotta give Graham some credit for the last 2 seasons stats his racked up. Whether you think he's good in the pocket or not, he's proven to be efficient and not even all of Texas Tech's former "system" qbs can throw for 5705 yds with 48 tds and only 14 Ints, like he did in 2007. I'd say that makes him noteworthy.

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2005 37 55 422 67.3 7.67 44 3 0 2 149.73
2006 412 617 4555 66.8 7.38 76 38 11 18 145.54
2007 512 713 5705 71.8 8.00 75 48 14 16 157.31

Salt City Sooner
3/23/2008, 11:52 AM
If Harrell holds on to the ball too long, then our pass rush must've truly stunk that game. He threw the ball 72 times vs. OU. OU's sack total? NADA.

OU-HSV
3/23/2008, 04:25 PM
If Harrell holds on to the ball too long, then our pass rush must've truly stunk that game. He threw the ball 72 times vs. OU. OU's sack total? NADA.

Kinda what I was thinking. I forgot how much he threw all over us in that game. I'd like to perma-block that out of my memory bank.