PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Eischen's today!

Hot Rod
3/17/2008, 09:56 AM
I took the day off and taking the fam up there for some chicken. This is my first trip there. I've heard it's pretty good.

Have a great St. Patrick's day everyone! :)

frankensooner
3/17/2008, 10:04 AM
It Sucks

It is actually okay. Have fun. Get the okra.

RacerX
3/17/2008, 10:24 AM
This won't end well.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 10:28 AM
:chicken:

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 10:30 AM
Have the Frito chili pie. That way you're guaranteed to not be disappointed by the chicken.

frankensooner
3/17/2008, 10:31 AM
(Mackie McNear's is actually better) ;)

LilSooner
3/17/2008, 10:37 AM
Half time is just as good and you don't have to drive out to BFE.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 10:37 AM
BTW, I've never said it sucks. Only that it is nothing special. The hype for that place is all about the road trip. Anybody who thinks it is unbelievably good is only acting like a lemming. They think if you drive that far to eat chicken, it MUST be great. The reality is that the only good reason to drive there is to hang out with friends.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 10:38 AM
You know who had good chicken? Barry's Chicken Ranch. It's too bad that place was such a spectacular failure.

Hot Rod
3/17/2008, 11:14 AM
Well, we are going out with friends plus my kids. It really is more of a little road trip to have fun and grab a bite. I'll give my two cents later.

Beef
3/17/2008, 11:45 AM
Stop by the highway bar on your way back. Fun WT watching to be had.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/17/2008, 11:50 AM
Take a cash or a check!

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 12:00 PM
Well, we are going out with friends plus my kids. It really is more of a little road trip to have fun and grab a bite. I'll give my two cents later.
Anything south of a mouthgasm means the place is overrated.

SoonerInKCMO
3/17/2008, 12:15 PM
It was really good when I went. That was back in '92 or '93 though... and I had a few beers... and there were pretty girls (twins!)... so my judgment on the chicken alone might be off. ;)

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 12:21 PM
See, that's what I'm talking about. If you want to take a road trip somewhere to hang out with your friends and drink a few beers, say so. I've got no problem with that. What I take issue with are the people who pimp that place like the chicken is some sort of religious experience. It's not. In fact, Popeye's is better.

:chicken:

soonerbrat
3/17/2008, 12:25 PM
You know who had good chicken? Barry's Chicken Ranch. It's too bad that place was such a spectacular failure.

Babe's in dallas has the same menu as Barry's but better chicken and chicken fried steak.

StoopTroup
3/17/2008, 12:29 PM

I never understood why he didn't put the restaurant in a better location.

When I first saw where they put it...I thought "That's really stupid. Who the heck convinced him to put it there? It must be a tax write off."

I know he didn't make that mistake. :D

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 12:35 PM
http://cdn-www.answerbag.com/images/answers/394666/1820265/tmb_chickhead.jpg

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/17/2008, 12:37 PM
Oh and watch for feathers. Sometimes you get a little surprise at Eischen's.

Condescending Sooner
3/17/2008, 12:41 PM
It's just deep fried chicken. Any moron with a deep fryer could make the exact same chicken.

frankensooner
3/17/2008, 01:39 PM
This should be a pole.

shaun4411
3/17/2008, 01:50 PM
I took the day off and taking the fam up there for some chicken. This is my first trip there. I've heard it's pretty good.

Have a great St. Patrick's day everyone! :)

i heard it was good too. so i went there and was completely disappointed. i really expected something better than kfc.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 01:52 PM
That's because you listened to a bunch of lemmings. Listen to me; when it comes to food I don't play.

shaun4411
3/17/2008, 02:11 PM
That's because you listened to a bunch of lemmings. Listen to me; when it comes to food I don't play.

hey! neither do i. I was dragged there by a couple friends. i didnt drive and i didnt pay. i ended up with a full greasy belly when it was all said and done. i was just unimpressed by this "oklahoma tradition". german traditions are better. weißbier in the Hofbräuhaus is better!

C&CDean
3/17/2008, 02:25 PM
Never even heard of it. Therefore, it can't be all that good.

NormanPride
3/17/2008, 02:35 PM
Thus sayeth The Dean.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 03:15 PM
Wait just a goldarned minute. You've never HEARD of Eischen's? :eek:

C&CDean
3/17/2008, 03:24 PM

I've heard the name/word "Eischen" (very nice Jewish name BTW), but have never heard it connected to chicken; fried, or otherwise. Seriously.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 03:25 PM
Man, yet another reason I secretly want to be Dean.

silverwheels
3/17/2008, 03:27 PM
Last time I had Eischen's was like 8 years ago...I was on my way home from a soccer tournament in Enid. I remember it as being very juicy but not very flavorful, and obviously not good enough for me to go back.

C&CDean
3/17/2008, 03:28 PM
So, is anybody gonna tell me where the hell this joint is?

BigRedJed
Last time I had Eischen's was like 8 years ago...I was on my way home from a soccer tournament in Enid. I remember it as being very juicy but not very flavorful, and obviously not good enough for me to go back.
SEE??!!? SEE???!!?

silverwheels

Okarche.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 03:29 PM
Well, with the caveat that I suggest you immediately forget about the place once I tell you, it's in Okarche.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 03:30 PM
DANGIT!!

silverwheels
3/17/2008, 03:32 PM
:les: Where's your no flood control now???

C&CDean
3/17/2008, 03:35 PM
Let me get this straight. People are willing to drive all the ****ing way to Okarche for some average bird? Are you kidding me?

I mean if you're just passing through (yeah, cause I'm like always just passing through Okarche) and you're hungry, and fried bird sounds good I can see it, but making a trip there especially for chicken? I think not. Unless of course you get the whole religious experience/orgasmatic bombshell from it, and since nobody makes better chicken that my mother (well except for momma), I just don't see that happening.

I believe I'll pass, thanks anyhow.

SoonerInKCMO
3/17/2008, 03:36 PM
Never even heard of it. Therefore, it can't be all that good.

Bah. Every time the Eischen's conversation comes up, Dean says he's never heard of it. His memory just isn't what it used to be. :texan:

Viking Kitten
3/17/2008, 03:36 PM
I've heard the name/word "Eischen" (very nice Jewish name BTW)

More German than Jewish, I'm thinking. A whole bunch of western Oklahoma was settled by prosperous German families. I grew up in Enid with with all their spoiled bratty descendents.

C&CDean
3/17/2008, 03:37 PM
More German than Jewish, I'm thinking. A whole bunch of western Oklahoma was settled by prosperous German families. I grew up in Enid with with all their spoiled bratty descendents.

German-Jew. Just like my last name.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 03:39 PM
Here's the thing on that place: 20 years ago it was cool, but not because of the chicken. It was cool because the bar in there was, like, a hundred years old and was the "oldest bar in the state of Oklahoma." People from OKC road tripped out there because it was a cool old building. They happened to serve fried chicken.

A number of years ago, the place burned to the ground. It was replaced by a nondescript building, with some scraps from the old bar worked into the new bar.

Well, people had fond memories of the road trips they took out there, but of course now they were driving a ridiculous distance to go to a crappy, nodescript bar in a crappy, nondescript dead downtown. So they had to think up a reason to justify the fascination. Presto! Suddenly the chicken there was the greatest fried chicken ever to pass through the lips of a man. It's not. It's roughly average.

So again, go if you have friends pressuring you to. It's not like it's bad; it's just average. The only thing "bad" about the experience is the long drive and the usual wait/fight to get a table. I'm sure I will go again, because, like everyone, I have some friends who are lemmings. But I will never pass on the false statements regarding how "incredible" the chicken is. It's just chicken. I guarandamntee you that Mama Dean's chicken is superior.

Viking Kitten
3/17/2008, 03:43 PM
Wikipedia says the name comes from a town in Luxembourg, specifically the river Eisch, which flows through the town. Its etymology goes back to the celtic word isc or ysche, meaning water.

silverwheels
3/17/2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah, stop there if it's on your way to/from somewhere else, and try going during the day, when there'll be less people. Otherwise, get a recipe for some good fried chicken and make it yourself.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 03:45 PM
Let me get this straight. People are willing to drive all the ****ing way to Okarche for some average bird?
Yes.

Of course, they don't want to admit it, so they tell people it made them have a mouthgasm, because that's what their friends told them would happen, and they don't want people to think they can't appreciate the Greatest Fried Chicken Ever Known to Man. Thus, a legend is born.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 03:47 PM
Tomorrow I'll break down how I feel about Ted's Cafe Escondito and Pete's Place in Krebs.

C&CDean
3/17/2008, 03:49 PM
Wikipedia says the name comes from a town in Luxembourg, specifically the river Eisch, which flows through the town. Its etymology goes back to the celtic word isc or ysche, meaning water.

My last name comes from a waterfall in Germany. What's your point?:mack:

Viking Kitten
3/17/2008, 03:54 PM
That plenty of blonde-haired, blue eyed Aryan Lutheran types also have German last names.:texan:

M
3/17/2008, 03:59 PM
Growing up in Tulsa, I only heard of Eischen's about 2 years ago.

shaun4411
3/17/2008, 04:00 PM

i am one of the few german jews still around. we are a proud people.

mdklatt
3/17/2008, 04:01 PM

Dean's not bald, he's just circumcised up top.

Hot Rod
3/17/2008, 10:10 PM
OK, so here it goes...

Chicken was good, but not the best that I've ever had. The atmosphere was pretty cool with it being St. Patrick's Day and all. Best part about it was playing some pool with the kids. Would I go back? Sure, but not to make a trip out of it, only if I was headed to or back from that way.

At least I can say that I've been in the oldest bar in Oklahoma now.

OUbones
3/17/2008, 11:53 PM
Tomorrow I'll break down how I feel about Ted's Cafe Escondito and Pete's Place in Krebs.

Oh Gawd don't get me started on Ted's.