PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever smoke any of this?

JohnnyMack
3/16/2008, 09:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

Just curious.

I mean I haven't. I just wondered.

olevetonahill
3/16/2008, 10:18 PM
Ive Got It on my list of things to do.:D
cause Im
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05PBA_F23hg
:cool:

Shneeg11
3/16/2008, 10:33 PM
I have, I did it while it was still legal, and it only lasted for a minute or two, but then it made me just feel like normally high for awhile

olevetonahill
3/16/2008, 11:02 PM
I have, I did it while it was still legal, and it only lasted for a minute or two, but then it made me just feel like normally high for awhile

Its Illegal already ?
:mad:

King Crimson
3/16/2008, 11:18 PM
legal in Colorado.

all the head shops are selling it. even the head shops that pretend they aren't head shops. and just sell Ugg boots and Reef sandals.

http://coloradodaily.com/articles/2008/03/13/news/c_u_and_boulder/news1.txt

Meet the ‘new dope'

By EVAN SANDSMARK Colorado Daily Staff
Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:39 PM MDT

A lot of people in Boulder like to smoke marijuana. More precisely, 10.3 percent of Boulder's population over the age of 12 admitted to using marijuana in the last month, according to a report by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration in August of 2005. That places Boulder second on the list of areas with the highest rates of past-month marijuana use in the nation.

Unfortunately for this sizable portion of smokers, marijuana is illegal. However, Salvia divinorum, a hallucinogenic herb colloquially known as the “Magic Mint” and “Sally-D,” is legal, despite the overwhelmingly intense effects of the drug.

“It was the most intense trip I've ever had, definitely, by far, like more intense than acid,” said one CU student who declined to provide his name because of the stigma attached to drug use.

“You're not in the same place - your eyesight is not what you're actually seeing. It's all like a fantasy. I felt like I was in the rainbow road level on Mario Cart, and that I was being tied down by zippers to basically the world,” the student said. “It will take you anywhere.”

Native to Mexico and still grown there, Salvia divinorum is a hallucinogen that gives users the sensation of merging with inanimate objects, induces out-of-body experiences of traveling through space and time, and inhibits motor skills, among other strange reported effects.

“About 30 seconds after smoking it - when I blew out the smoke - I completely lost touch with reality. I was sitting on the couch and it just kind of felt like my head fell back. For some reason I was laughing uncontrollably. I don't know, everything seemed completely funny. I found random conundrums with humans in my head and I was just laughing,” explained John, a high school student who plans to attend CU-Boulder next fall.

Salvia divinorum is generally smoked using water pipes because the smoke is “harsh,” but it can also be chewed or made into a tea. Unlike other hallucinogens such as LSD and psilocybin mushrooms, the effects of salvia do not last long, with the strong hallucinogenic effects wearing off after only 5-15 minutes, and the lingering high lasting another 15-20 minutes, roughly.

According to Bonnie Dahl, owner of the popular head shop The Fitter, salvia sales are some what inconsistent.

“It's popular Š but it seems to go in spurts,” she said. “A few years ago, once it hit national news, we were getting so many requests. And then we finally got it, and it was huge.”

In fact, it was so popular that a whole range of people came and bought salvia when it first garnered attention, not all of which were the usual suspects.

“We had people who wouldn't smoke pot who would come and buy it because it was legal - they felt safe,” she said, “but it's a false sense of safe.”

“It's a flawed way of thinking,” she continued, “they think, ‘Oh, if it's legal then you're not going to feel much, it's not going to be that big of a deal,' but it's not that way with Salvia.”

Indeed, many find of the effects of saliva unfavorable and far too intense.

Brian, another CU student, who declined to provide his full name, never enjoyed the effects of saliva.

“The whole sensation made me incredibly uncomfortable,” he said, referring to the effect he experienced after smoking salvia during his freshman year of college. “The people I was with were standing up around me, and I took a rip out of this water pipe, and when I looked up, their bodies were sort of stretching over me. They were all looking at me - that's what made me uncomfortable.”

Because of the dramatic effects of the legal herb, which can be purchased in shops such as The Fitter or online, Dahl says she cautions those who come into her store looking for salvia, especially first-time users.

“I have a lot of customers that do not like the effect of it,” she said, “when we have first-time users, I usually try to have them start at the lower levels” of potency.

At The Fitter, extracts of saliva are sold in a condensed leaf form, the potency of which ranges from 5 to 20 times that of the leaf. The “doses” of saliva are generally sold in one-gram amounts, the price of which ranges from $16 to $50, depending on the potency.

According to Dahl, there are extracts of salvia that are 65 times the potency of the leaf, which she labeled “out of hand.”

Strangely, a drug that can cause out-of-body of experiences can be legally used anywhere a cigarette can be smoked. So, an individual with adequate courage could legally take bong hits of salvia on the steps of a court house or police station, provided he was more than 15 feet away from the entrance (in accordance with state tobacco-smoking ordinances).

“At this point, since it's not on the banned substances list in Colorado, it would be treated the same as any other smoking device or instrument, such as cigarette,” said Brad Wiesley, the spokesman for the CU-Boulder Police.

If someone were caught with saliva or paraphernalia used to smoke it, “there's certainly not anything legally we can do about it,” Wiesley said. To confirm that the residue in a smoking device is nothing illegal, Wiesley said the police could perform a quick field test using a chemical that reacts to THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. If there is no THC in the pipe, the test result would be negative.

Salvia, like a number of other legal substances used to get high, could only be a passing trend, according to Wiesley.

“It may just be the new fad,” he said, “this may just be something that somebody came up with and, until the legislature decides what they want to do with it, people can take it and not have any legal consequences.”

Regardless of its legal standing, smoking salvia and operating a motor vehicle is illegal.

“It's illegal to drive a car while your impaired by any substance, whether the substance is legal or not,” said Wiesley. “If somebody is impaired by saliva while driving a car Š that [violation of the law] would be enforced like any other DUI arrest for alcohol or drugs.”

Eight states have already placed restrictions on salvia, and 16 others are considering a ban or have previously.

“It's a new trend and we'll see where it goes,” said Wiesley, “whatever the legislature does, we will work within that framework.”

Contact Evan Sandsmark about this story at (303) 443-6272, ext. 113, or at [email protected].

olevetonahill
3/16/2008, 11:26 PM
So I can still get a stash ?

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 09:20 AM
It sounds like you can have a bad trip if your head isn't right for it, much like acid or mushrooms.

And I SWEAR my mom takes that as an herbal supplement. I think it's available at health food stores. That concerns me.

BigRedJed
3/17/2008, 09:26 AM
Well, upon further review, there are a number of types of salvia, and it's apparently the botanical term for sage. So she's possibly taking a different type. I hope. :eek:

JohnnyMack
3/17/2008, 09:28 AM
I hope. :eek:

If not, your mom rules.

Flagstaffsooner
3/17/2008, 11:35 AM
If you want to get really f'd up eat half a bottle of nutmeg.

Melo
3/17/2008, 01:01 PM
Its illegal already?
Man, I remember people at Blinn doing it.
They were trippin BALLS for a few minutes.
They agreed the high was great, but didnt last long enough for it to be worth spending the money on.

olevetonahill
3/17/2008, 01:10 PM
Its illegal already?
Man, I remember people at Blinn doing it.
They were trippin BALLS for a few minutes.
They agreed the high was great, but didnt last long enough for it to be worth spending the money on.

Dayum Mods want to ruin the Fun :mad:

Jerk
3/22/2008, 08:14 PM
According to wiki it's not illegal in Oklahoma in it's plant form. If you extract the active drug and make it concentrated or enhanced then it's illegal.

royalfan5
3/22/2008, 08:19 PM
Since the Unicameral had nothing better to do this year they are trying to make it illegal here, and a head shop owner in Lincoln got cited for selling it under some arcane ordinance that didn't directly name salvia, and that caused a kerfuffle.

JohnnyMack
3/22/2008, 08:39 PM
According to wiki it's not illegal in Oklahoma in it's plant form. If you extract the active drug and make it concentrated or enhanced then it's illegal.

Let's get some, hang out and talk politics. :D

GottaHavePride
3/22/2008, 08:47 PM
Well, upon further review, there are a number of types of salvia, and it's apparently the botanical term for sage. So she's possibly taking a different type. I hope. :eek:

Yeah, regular old sage is genus Salvia also. Salvia divinorum is a different, but closely related, plant.

I knew a guy from South America, he said they use it for religious ceremonies, sort of like Native Americans and peyote.

Jerk
3/22/2008, 09:03 PM
Let's get some, hang out and talk politics. :D

I wouldn't mind. I mean, if it's legal then I have nothing to lose.

The only reason that I don't occassionally smoke a little pot is because if I get caught on a urine sample then I'm fired.

olevetonahill
3/22/2008, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't mind. I mean, if it's legal then I have nothing to lose.

The only reason that I don't occassionally smoke a little pot is because if I get caught on a urine sample then I'm fired.

Wanta Know how to beat the pisz test ?

Jerk
3/22/2008, 09:39 PM
Wanta Know how to beat the pisz test ?

Mountain Dew?

olevetonahill
3/22/2008, 10:01 PM
A buddy of Mine Smokes a Lot
When He has to go fer a Pee Test . He Takes a Hand ful of the Water purifcation Tabs . ( you can Buy em at AtWoods ) . drinks a lot of water
. Course Ya need to Know when Ur gonna have to take the test .

Jerk
3/22/2008, 10:05 PM

Mine are random. I haven't done anything more serious than alcohol since 1999.

I wouldn't mind a little experimenting, but the problem is that I have too much responsibility, and thus too much to lose.

:sad:

MojoRisen
3/22/2008, 10:09 PM
I roomed up with a Radar Technologist - who had to get pee'd test all the time and she bought some salvia on the internet when it first came out mainstreamish in 03 - when it was legal. We smoked it up -

I raced through a tunnel that was very Inca like for about 2 minutes- the room then turned sideways for about another 3 minutes - then I was back to normal.

Definitely like outerbody for 5 minutes and not 2 days - the Central Americans used it often to heel the tribe probably smoked pounds of it...

olevetonahill
3/22/2008, 10:09 PM
So dont ya get a Vacaition ?

MojoRisen
3/22/2008, 10:15 PM
Got any?

olevetonahill
3/22/2008, 10:27 PM
Got any?

Not Me . Im a Good Boy .:cool:

MojoRisen
3/22/2008, 10:45 PM
All the same--- I didn't inhale. Must have been second hand smoke... or the potent stuff...

I tried but - I couldn't hold it in...

CORNholio
3/22/2008, 10:49 PM
Did it back in '03 or '04. Nothing to get worked up about. It's harmless and less thrilling than thumbwrestling.

def_lazer_fc
3/23/2008, 05:06 AM
A buddy of Mine Smokes a Lot
When He has to go fer a Pee Test . He Takes a Hand ful of the Water purifcation Tabs . ( you can Buy em at AtWoods ) . drinks a lot of water

eh, that depends a LOT on when, for one, but also how much they smoke, and their body weight. fat holds the thc longer. a good way to solve this problem is just get a job that doesn't drug test. :cool: