Ground_Attack
3/16/2008, 05:14 PM
boomer sooner

Sooner5030
3/16/2008, 05:16 PM
Game time for Friday?

Jay C. Upchurch
3/16/2008, 05:16 PM
Probably the absolute best draw Oklahoma could have asked for... Capel's crew will certainly have a good opportunity to win one, if not both of its first two games...

GrapevineSooner
3/16/2008, 05:17 PM
Game times won't be announced until tomorrow in all probability.

silverwheels
3/16/2008, 05:21 PM
USC vs. Kansas State in the Midwest Region's first round. Awesome.

TopDawg
3/16/2008, 05:40 PM
Since we're in UNC's bracket, they had us as the last team receiving a six seed. (UNC is the overall #1, so the odd #'s in their bracket are the best of that seed and the even #'s in their bracket are the worst of that seed.)

So we're going up against the #1 3 seed in Louisville.

If we would've dropped to the overall top #7 seed, we would've stayed in the UNC bracket and gone up against the worst #2, which according to the committee, is Tennessee.

Looking at it that way, I'm pleased as punch we got a 2 seed. Louisville won't be easy, but Tennessee would've run us outta the gym.

God help us if Boise State pulls the upset of Louisville.

TopDawg
3/16/2008, 05:45 PM
USC vs. Kansas State in the Midwest Region's first round. Awesome.

KSU finishes ahead of us in Big XII play, but is five seeds (roughly 20 teams) lower than us.

kevpks
3/16/2008, 05:46 PM
Is anyone going to go over to Orangepower to remind them to watch the NIT selection special on ESPNU?

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2008, 05:46 PM
That's the first thing I thought of. (Boise St)

silverwheels
3/16/2008, 05:47 PM
KSU finishes ahead of us in Big XII play, but is five seeds (roughly 20 teams) lower than us.

They didn't finish very strongly.

mynameisjoe
3/16/2008, 05:49 PM
Is anyone going to go over to Orangepower to remind them to watch the NIT selection special on ESPNU?

Don't you worry, they already have a thread dedicated to it

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=50610

TopDawg
3/16/2008, 05:50 PM
They didn't finish very strongly.

Definitely. But that's still a pretty big gap. I'm not saying I disagree with it...it's just weird.

silverwheels
3/16/2008, 05:54 PM
Definitely. But that's still a pretty big gap. I'm not saying I disagree with it...it's just weird.

Yeah, and Tennessee being put in UNC's bracket doesn't make sense, either.

joeTsooner
3/16/2008, 05:55 PM
Anyone know anything about this St Joe's team?

TopDawg
3/16/2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah, and Tennessee being put in UNC's bracket doesn't make sense, either.

Well I can understand having Georgetown and Texas ahead of them. So that leaves Duke and Tennessee as the only other #2's. I wonder if the committee did it like this so that Duke and UNC wouldn't be in the same bracket.

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2008, 06:01 PM
Anyone know anything about this St Joe's team?

Seth on CBS just picked them as his sleeper team in the East.

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2008, 06:03 PM
Texas got an unreal draw. They will get Memphis in Houston If they both get that far. That's a pretty bad draw for Memphis as far as location.

silverwheels
3/16/2008, 06:04 PM
Well I can understand having Georgetown and Texas ahead of them. So that leaves Duke and Tennessee as the only other #2's. I wonder if the committee did it like this so that Duke and UNC wouldn't be in the same bracket.

Probably, although Duke is definitely the weakest 2. Just an unfortunate break for Tennessee, but they shouldn't have lost in their conference tourney semifinal to a 9 seed in the NCAA tournament.

TopDawg
3/16/2008, 06:05 PM
I think the fact that Georgia won the SEC conference kinda made everyone think twice about Tennessee's resume.

silverwheels
3/16/2008, 06:08 PM
Texas got an unreal draw. They will get Memphis in Houston If they both get that far. That's a pretty bad draw for Memphis as far as location.

Yeah, but they play in a terrible conference so it balances out.

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2008, 06:11 PM
They still earned a number a 1 seed.

V. Tech coach whining on ESPN right now.

SoonerFrog
3/16/2008, 06:15 PM
Spekaing of jobbed by geography, #6 USC gets to play #11 Kansas State in Omaha...194 miles from their home arena.

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2008, 06:26 PM
that game is gonna be great.

joeTsooner
3/16/2008, 06:31 PM
beasley vs mayo
two nba busts on the same court

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2008, 06:35 PM
wow. Calling them busts before their last college games. Nice

joeTsooner
3/16/2008, 06:37 PM
sorry, future busts

Vegas Sooner
3/16/2008, 06:45 PM
I watched St Joe a few times, and they can play. I hope we change a lot of things up on defense--show some different looks. I think Capel will put together a good game plan, I just hope the game is not slowed down by the hack-a-shaq on Griffen. We always seem to fall out of the tempo and game plan when we do that.

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2008, 07:37 PM
Probably the absolute best draw Oklahoma could have asked for... Capel's crew will certainly have a good opportunity to win one, if not both of its first two games...

Most experts tonight seem to disagree. We get a 11 seed that beat a good 3 seed Xavier twice.

We're gonna have our hands full with this guy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22355)

Collier11
3/16/2008, 08:53 PM
beasley vs mayo
two nba busts on the same court

:rolleyes: Mayo really doesnt have much room to get better but Beasley will be a superstar...mark it down!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/16/2008, 09:17 PM
Most experts tonight seem to disagree. We get a 11 seed that beat a good 3 seed Xavier twice.

We're gonna have our hands full with this guy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22355)

We are not going to be a prohibitive favorite over anyone but the other 11 seeds are Kentucky, Baylor and KSU. We couldn't play the other two but obviously all 3 games were tough and playing Kentucky is never a bargain. We got the best 11 seed we could get and if we had slipped to a 7 seed we might have gotten Arizona or a hugely underrated Davidson team.

From where we were 3-4 weeks ago we a 6-seed (the bracket equivalent of being a top 25 team) is nothing short of amazing.

Eielson
3/16/2008, 09:22 PM

Yeah, they beat Xavier twice in a little over a week. They also lost to Temple twice in less than two weeks, lost to Dayton, Saint Louis, La Salle, Duquesne, Charlotte, Creighton, and Holy Cross. If we don't win we have no room to complain about who we got matched up with.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/16/2008, 09:23 PM
:rolleyes: Mayo really doesnt have much room to get better but Beasley will be a superstar...mark it down!

I'll split the difference on Beasley. I don't think he will be a star at the NBA level but I can see him having a nice career as a 2nd-3rd option on an NBA team like Lamar Odom. Some people might see that as a bust if he is the #1 pick but Odom is a real good player probably in the top 35-40 players in the league.

Mayo has bust written all over him for the NBA level though IMO.

Jay C. Upchurch
3/16/2008, 09:23 PM
I'm not saying St. Joe's isn't a solid team, but I watched the first time St. Joe's beat Xavier... Drew Lavender played, but his injured ankle reduced him to a shell of himself. The same could be said over the weekend when S. Joe's got them again... Lavender had no mobility and thus could not create any of the offensive opportunities as he did so often prior to his injury.

St. Joe's went 6-7 over its last 13 games, a stretch that included losses to non-NCAA Tournament opponents Duquesne, La Salle, St. Louis and Dayton.

They played a much weaker schedule than did the Sooners... also lost to the same Gonzaga team OU beat.

Contain their best player 6-10 Pat Calathes -- a versatile power forward who can shoot it from anywhere on the floor -- and you beat them... plain and simple.

Blake and Longar will definitely need to bring it, and of course, AJ, Crocker and Goldbold are going to need to play up to their ability and shoot it better... Goldbold could be a huge key, especially on defense in helping with Calathes...

OU certainly can't afford to look ahead to Louisville, but this is a much better matchup than say any of the other No. 11 seeds (besides K-State) they could have played, including Kent State and Kentucky.

SleestakSooner
3/16/2008, 09:47 PM
Doubt many St Joe's fans will travel to Alabama. It seems like the site will be very neutral. If the Sooner team that played in West Virginia earlier this season shows up it should be a good game. Or will it be the team that visited Colorado?

The full week of rest for our injured will help a great deal and I really like the Sooners chances of getting to the second round.

Collier11
3/16/2008, 09:51 PM
I'll split the difference on Beasley. I don't think he will be a star at the NBA level but I can see him having a nice career as a 2nd-3rd option on an NBA team like Lamar Odom. Some people might see that as a bust if he is the #1 pick but Odom is a real good player probably in the top 35-40 players in the league.

Mayo has bust written all over him for the NBA level though IMO.

Not that it is necessarily 100% but nbadraft.net has him compared to Carmelo...I think he may be somewhere between that and Odom which puts him as a bonified star IMO.

FWIW, they have mayo as marbury/ben gordon which would make him a solid nba player but never really a star

SoonerShark
3/16/2008, 11:34 PM
I hope we are deserving of a #6 seed. I was surprised at how highly we were placed since I would have absolutely put us no higher than an 8 after Saturday's game versus UT and our game at Nebraska.

AlabamaSooner
3/17/2008, 12:34 AM
Doubt many St Joe's fans will travel to Alabama. It seems like the site will be very neutral. If the Sooner team that played in West Virginia earlier this season shows up it should be a good game. Or will it be the team that visited Colorado?

The full week of rest for our injured will help a great deal and I really like the Sooners chances of getting to the second round.

If we can win on Friday, I plan on making the drive down I-20 to Birmingham for sure on Sunday. Now if I can just fight off all of those orange-clad Vol fans for a ticket outside the arena...

cheezyq
3/17/2008, 01:55 AM

I actually predicted this type of thing back in January (I think) in the RPI/Bracketology thread. Their entire credentials for tourney seeding are Beasley/Walker and beating KU. Everything else is inconsistent blech.

HBick
3/17/2008, 02:56 AM
dean just said that ou was playing at 6:10. but don't hold me to that

colleyvillesooner
3/17/2008, 08:59 AM
Yep:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard?confId=100&date=20080321