PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Liquor Stores

mdklatt
3/16/2008, 02:17 PM
Are they closed on Sundays? I guess I won't be making chicken marsala for dinner. Stupid Baptists. :mad:

StoopTroup
3/16/2008, 02:20 PM
yep. closed.

You can't vote either.

BigRedJed
3/16/2008, 03:32 PM
Your first post could have just said "suck." No further explanation needed.

silverwheels
3/16/2008, 03:43 PM
You sinners shouldn't be drinking anyway.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/16/2008, 03:45 PM
alcoholics..cant you stay away from it at least one day a week

BigRedJed
3/16/2008, 03:49 PM
I can stay out of the liquor stores MOST days of the week. 'Cause I try to anticipate my own demand and keep a little extra on hand.

olevetonahill
3/16/2008, 03:59 PM
alcoholics..cant you stay away from it at least one day a week

No self respecting Alky would run out .
Most plan ahead :D

olevetonahill
3/16/2008, 04:00 PM
I can stay out of the liquor stores MOST days of the week. 'Cause I try to anticipate my own demand and keep a little extra on hand.

Shoulda read your post befor I posted .:O
:D

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/16/2008, 04:04 PM
Do you ever read before you post :P

stoops the eternal pimp
3/16/2008, 04:05 PM
I do all my drinking before church on sunday

sooneron
3/16/2008, 04:21 PM
Heh, suckers with no liquor stores on Sunday.

mdklatt
3/16/2008, 04:23 PM
You sinners shouldn't be drinking anyway.

It's for chicken marsala. The alcohol cooks off, duh.

How in the world did certain sects decide that alcohol was a no-no in the first place? Jesus himself turned water into wine. I guess they don't believe in Communion, either?

silverwheels
3/16/2008, 04:28 PM
It's for chicken marsala.

A likely story.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/16/2008, 04:29 PM
You can buy cooking wine at the store today. Since it cooks off, the flavor won't suffer.

mdklatt
3/16/2008, 04:30 PM
'Cause I try to anticipate my own demand and keep a little extra on hand.

There's the rub. I've never bought anything from a liquor store before, so I have no idea when they are or aren't open. I knew there are some rules about election days. I should have realized that Sundays are out, too.

mdklatt
3/16/2008, 04:32 PM
You can buy cooking wine at the store today. Since it cooks off, the flavor won't suffer.

Marsala cooking wine? Do they have that at grocery stores? I have no idea.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/16/2008, 04:35 PM
Yes, it should be on the aisle with the spices.

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2008, 04:35 PM
Marsala cooking wine? Do they have that at grocery stores? I have no idea.

Yes, they sell cooking marsala and sherry in the grocery store and it works just fine for chicken marsala.

BigRedJed
3/16/2008, 04:37 PM
How the heck have you never bought anything from a liquor store before? :confused:

Viking Kitten
3/16/2008, 04:38 PM
Just don't try to siphon any sips off the bottle for yourself. Nas.Tee.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/16/2008, 04:38 PM
And don't worry about getting any high dollar stuff. I think Holland House made the kind I used.

Viking Kitten
3/16/2008, 04:39 PM
How the heck have you never bought anything from a liquor store before? :confused:

That was actually my next question too.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/16/2008, 04:39 PM
How the heck have you never bought anything from a liquor store before? :confused:One time on an episode of Family Ties, the drunk uncle got drunk from marashino cherry juice.

mdklatt
3/16/2008, 04:41 PM
Well hell. I know they sell that kind of stuff at the grocery store in normal states, but I figured there was no way you could pick up anything but near-beer at the Wal-Marts around here. Hmm...does the Wal-Marts have it or do I have to go to a real grocery store? Or what passes for a real grocery store now that Albertsons is gone.

What's the difference between regular wine and cooking wine, the alcohol content?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/16/2008, 04:45 PM
WM should be fine. As for your other question, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_wine#Other_styles

mdklatt
3/16/2008, 04:48 PM

I drink alcohol almost never, so there's no need for me to have any around the house. This will be my first time to attempt chicken marsala. When I first turned 21 I went to a liquor store in Dallas to get some beer for my mom for cooking some brats. I was actually ****ed because they didn't ID me. Haven't been to one since, unless maybe once or twice with somebody else.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/16/2008, 04:50 PM
It's kind of a conspiracy that most people rarely get ID'd right after they turn 21. I think salespeople can see the eagerness to get ID's all over one's face.

mdklatt
3/16/2008, 04:54 PM
WM should be fine. As for your other question, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_wine#Other_styles

So, cooking wine is cheap and nasty...is that something you want in your food? I was going to opt for a real albeit cheap bottle, but I wouldn't use it for anything but cooking so long shelf life is important. I guess I'll try nasty stuff for now and cut back on the salt I add.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/16/2008, 05:00 PM
It's only nasty if you drink it.

Jimminy Crimson
3/16/2008, 05:01 PM
Use the same stuff you would drink to cook with.

You don't want to concentrate the flavor of a sh!tty wine.

As for long shelf life, your best bet would be to get the best box wine (yes, they actually make decent boxed wine these days) and use that, as it has minimal exposure to air -- which starts the skunkification of wine.

mdklatt
3/16/2008, 05:06 PM
As for long shelf life, your best bet would be to get the best box wine

Isn't that, like, a lot of wine?

As for not cooking with anything I wouldn't drink, I don't generally drink wine in the first place. :D

proud gonzo
3/16/2008, 05:08 PM
You can buy cooking wine at the store today. Since it cooks off, the flavor won't suffer.FALSE. the taste is not in the alcohol that burns off. I never cook with anything I wouldn't drink by itself.

BigRedJed
3/16/2008, 05:15 PM
Get a nice bottle of something (there are lots of inexpensive wines with great flavor -- good wine doesn't have to mean expensive), use it for cooking, and then sack up and drink the rest of the bottle over then next couple of days. :D

Of course, that ruins your chances of cooking with it tonight. Unless you can find a friend with some extra wine hanging around.

And Jimminy, I know they're saying there are a number of good box o' wines these days, but I've just now started accepting rubber corks and screw caps. I went to a birthday party a few weeks ago at Red Prime, bought a pretty darn nice bottle of Pinot Noir ($60+), and they brought the bottle to me and cracked open the screw top. I about crapped. :D

BigRedJed
3/16/2008, 05:17 PM
And, BTW, although I have had a couple of really good experiences there, this time the steak was overcooked and the kitchen was slow. Strike one.

olevetonahill
3/16/2008, 05:17 PM
I drink alcohol almost never, so there's no need for me to have any around the house. This will be my first time to attempt chicken marsala. When I first turned 21 I went to a liquor store in Dallas to get some beer for my mom for cooking some brats. I was actually ****ed because they didn't ID me. Haven't been to one since, unless maybe once or twice with somebody else.

So let me get this correct.
You dont Drink, But you want to get a chick Drunk On sunday?
Im down with that .:cool:

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2008, 05:21 PM
1. The majority of the flavor from your chicken marsala should not be from the wine. It should come from the mushrooms and oregano.

2. Again, I've made chicken marsala with cooking wine before and it tasted the same as it did with high-dollar marsala wine. Using high-dollar wine to cook with is a waste of good wine.

3. Yes, they sell it in grocery stores in states that they don't allow liquor in the grocery stores. At least they do here.

olevetonahill
3/16/2008, 05:26 PM
Theres just sompun Ghey about Guys cookin with Wine.
drink that shat and Eat whatever ya find in the fridge !

AlbqSooner
3/16/2008, 05:33 PM
How in the world did certain sects decide that alcohol was a no-no in the first place? Jesus himself turned water into wine. I guess they don't believe in Communion, either?

Did anybody else used to go through the communion line like 5 or 6 times?:D

mdklatt
3/16/2008, 05:39 PM
1. The majority of the flavor from your chicken marsala should not be from the wine. It should come from the mushrooms and oregano.

Oregano, huh? None of the recipes I've seen use oregano, and I don't think I've had it with oregano before. I would think that rosemary would be better than oregano if you're going to herb it up, but what do I know.

I'm going to start out very basic since I've never made it before: floured chicken breasts, cremini mushrooms, and chicken stock/marsala reduction, and maybe hit it with some lemon juice. I've been pondering shallots, too.

mdklatt
3/16/2008, 05:41 PM
Theres just sompun Ghey about Guys cookin with Wine.

All the alcohol cooks out, so think of it as cooking with grape juice. What could be more hillbilly than that? :D

olevetonahill
3/16/2008, 06:09 PM
All the alcohol cooks out, so think of it as cooking with grape juice. What could be more hillbilly than that? :D

Thats what Im talking about . Waisting Good alkyhol Thats Just ghey !

Jimminy Crimson
3/16/2008, 06:19 PM
And Jimminy, I know they're saying there are a number of good box o' wines these days, but I've just now started accepting rubber corks and screw caps. I went to a birthday party a few weeks ago at Red Prime, bought a pretty darn nice bottle of Pinot Noir ($60+), and they brought the bottle to me and cracked open the screw top. I about crapped. :D

I still don't like the screw caps. Synthetic corks are okay, though.

StoopTroup
3/16/2008, 07:41 PM
Synthetic corks are okay, though.

Agreed...I think they make less mess in the wine bottles at least.

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2008, 09:23 PM
Oregano, huh? None of the recipes I've seen use oregano, and I don't think I've had it with oregano before. I would think that rosemary would be better than oregano if you're going to herb it up, but what do I know.

I'm going to start out very basic since I've never made it before: floured chicken breasts, cremini mushrooms, and chicken stock/marsala reduction, and maybe hit it with some lemon juice. I've been pondering shallots, too.

Interesting. Every recipe I've seen for chicken marsala has oregano in it.

You put oregano and pepper into the flour before flouring the chicken.

olevetonahill
3/16/2008, 09:32 PM
This thread Is GHEY !
Just sayin

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/17/2008, 12:05 AM
Well how did it go? Did you buy the cooking wine?

Mjcpr
3/17/2008, 08:36 AM

Shhhh.....dude got hammered on a couple of breasts and extra sauce. He's suffering.

mdklatt
3/17/2008, 09:50 AM

I didn't feel like going back out again, so I stuck with Plan B. I shall try again later this week. Maybe the Wal-Marts will have some shallots in stock, too.

Dio
3/17/2008, 04:57 PM
One time on an episode of Family Ties, the drunk uncle got drunk from marashino cherry juice.

And that drunk uncle was Tom Hanks.

C&CDean
3/17/2008, 05:05 PM
What kinda moron wastes perfectly good booze by cooking the alcohol out of it?

olevetonahill
3/17/2008, 06:25 PM
What kinda moron wastes perfectly good booze by cooking the alcohol out of it?

You didnt read My post where I said this shat was Ghey ?
Pay tention .;)

KC//CRIMSON
3/17/2008, 07:06 PM

Make the Indian/Dot dish Chicken Tikka Marsala next time. Teh bomb.:cool:

ps. It is awesome being able to buy alcohol on Sundays!

OUTromBoNado
3/17/2008, 09:33 PM
One good thing I can say about moving to Texas...I can buy real beer at Wal-Mart and go to a drive-thru at the liquor store.

OUbones
3/18/2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah, but you still have dry counties and can't buy beer after midnight. I'll take 3.2 until 2am over that any day. After the first 4 beers you can't tell the difference anyways, that's when I'm not drinking IPA though. Plus you can walk around anywhere in OK with a 3.2 beer cause it's not considered an alcoholic beverage. Not saying OK alcohol rules are the best, they're actually teh succ, but I think they're better than TX, AR, and KS.

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2008, 12:10 AM
Plus you can walk around anywhere in OK with a 3.2 beer cause it's not considered an alcoholic beverage.That'll prolly get ya a free wood shampoo in most towns here in OK.:D

mdklatt
3/21/2008, 08:37 PM
mdklatt reviews mdklatt's chicken marsala

I went by the Wal-Marts after work and picked up a bottle of their finest, Holland's marsala cooking wine. FYI, at the west Norman Wal-Mart the cooking wines are with the fancy vinegars near the salad dressing and the croutons. Mmmmm...croutons.

I don't know squat about wine, but the Holland's passed the smell test when I opened it: Yep, it's wine! Actually, it smells pretty good. I didn't taste it straight out of the bottle, but by all accounts you don't want to.

All the chicken marsala recipes I found were unanimous about a 1:1 ratio of wine to chicken stock. That made a lot thinner sauce than I was hoping for; I think a little roux action is called for next time. I might half the amount of chicken stock next time for more wine flavor. The mushrooms sure sucked up the flavor, though. They were tasty. I doubled the amount of liquid called for in the recipe because I wanted extra sauce for the pasta; that might have altered the flavor if the wine cooks down faster than the chicken stock.

It wasn't the mouthgasm I was hoping for, but it was serviceable. There is room for improvement. You can taste the preservatives in the wine, I think. Well, not taste exactly, but you know how your tongue kind of dries out? Like that. Overall, I'd call the cooking wine a success, and the price is right.

shaun4411
3/21/2008, 08:41 PM
there isnt much *real beer* in the united states. especially since budlight is the predominant one it seems. and the liquor laws here are lame.

think about it. just a few years ago you couldnt gamble, get a tattoo, OR buy liquor on sundays, or after 9pm. man things suck here. cant even buy a car on sunday. so the idea is dont let people get liquored up and buy a car? or will people be too bored not drinking and buying cars and just go to church?

Frozen Sooner
3/21/2008, 08:53 PM
mdklatt reviews mdklatt's chicken marsala

I went by the Wal-Marts after work and picked up a bottle of their finest, Holland's marsala cooking wine. FYI, at the west Norman Wal-Mart the cooking wines are with the fancy vinegars near the salad dressing and the croutons. Mmmmm...croutons.

I don't know squat about wine, but the Holland's passed the smell test when I opened it: Yep, it's wine! Actually, it smells pretty good. I didn't taste it straight out of the bottle, but by all accounts you don't want to.

All the chicken marsala recipes I found were unanimous about a 1:1 ratio of wine to chicken stock. That made a lot thinner sauce than I was hoping for; I think a little roux action is called for next time. I might half the amount of chicken stock next time for more wine flavor. The mushrooms sure sucked up the flavor, though. They were tasty. I doubled the amount of liquid called for in the recipe because I wanted extra sauce for the pasta; that might have altered the flavor if the wine cooks down faster than the chicken stock.

It wasn't the mouthgasm I was hoping for, but it was serviceable. There is room for improvement. You can taste the preservatives in the wine, I think. Well, not taste exactly, but you know how your tongue kind of dries out? Like that. Overall, I'd call the cooking wine a success, and the price is right.

Interesting. I don't use chicken stock at all when making marsala, I just let the wine braise the chicken for a long time and it cooks down very well.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/21/2008, 09:35 PM
I'm glad the Holland House finest worked out for you.

And Dio-I did not know that was Tom Hanks. Interesting.

olevetonahill
3/21/2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah, but you still have dry counties and can't buy beer after midnight. I'll take 3.2 until 2am over that any day. After the first 4 beers you can't tell the difference anyways, that's when I'm not drinking IPA though. Plus you can walk around anywhere in OK with a 3.2 beer cause it's not considered an alcoholic beverage. Not saying OK alcohol rules are the best, they're actually teh succ, but I think they're better than TX, AR, and KS.

You aint fer Real are you ?:eek:

yermom
3/22/2008, 12:36 AM
at least OK is consistent... i don't know about KS and AR but that crap in Texas is just stupid. i can't remember where i was but you had to buy some membership or some crap, and use it the next time you were there? do they still do that? am i remembering it wrong? all that because someone wants a margarita at Chili's...

olevetonahill
3/22/2008, 12:55 AM
In certain Counties In Okla . Its Still Like that .

yermom
3/22/2008, 01:12 AM
weird.

olevetonahill
3/22/2008, 01:29 AM
weird.

I think theres Just a few counties In Ok. that can serve Liquer By the drink . The other Counties Its a Private Club Crap :mad:

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 06:16 AM
Heh, suckers with no liquor stores on Sunday.

Heh, Suckers that cant make thier own LOLOLOLOL;)

bluedogok
5/23/2008, 08:54 PM
at least OK is consistent... i don't know about KS and AR but that crap in Texas is just stupid. i can't remember where i was but you had to buy some membership or some crap, and use it the next time you were there? do they still do that? am i remembering it wrong? all that because someone wants a margarita at Chili's...
That is in Dallas, you have wet/dry areas, in the dry areas you have to have a Unicard or a private membership and the grocery stores sell no beer or wine. You can tell where the wet/dry line is, just look for the 6 liquor stores right next to it like just south of Royal lane on Greenville. There is also the little "town" of Buckingham between Dallas and Richardson which is about a half a square mile but has 4 liquor stores. Down here all of this area is wet, the only restriction is the time/day. I know that you can't buy any before noon on Sunday.

CORNholio
5/24/2008, 12:38 AM
there isnt much *real beer* in the united states. especially since budlight is the predominant one it seems. and the liquor laws here are lame.

think about it. just a few years ago you couldnt gamble, get a tattoo, OR buy liquor on sundays, or after 9pm. man things suck here. cant even buy a car on sunday. so the idea is dont let people get liquored up and buy a car? or will people be too bored not drinking and buying cars and just go to church?

is this a law? I always just thought it was some kind of industry standard for dealerships to take sundays off. If some jack *** politician had nothing better to do than tell people not to buy cars on Sunday then something is seriously wrong.

CORNholio
5/24/2008, 12:47 AM
If alcohol is legal then just let it be 100% legal. Same with gambling. Oklahoma has got some real idiots litigating this state to death.

Frozen Sooner
5/24/2008, 01:17 AM
Dealerships up here are open on Sundays.

bluedogok
5/24/2008, 12:00 PM
Yes, no car sales on Sundays. When I worked for the dealer that ran the car auction in OKC we had to have a certain percentage of "antique" cars (as classified by the state) to qualify as something other than a "sale" and all transactions were to be recorded on Monday. Texas used to have one in which you could only be open one day on the weekend, a few dealers were closed Saturday but open Sunday. I don't know if they are still in effect. Most of the "Blue Laws" come from a different time many years ago, most have been repealed but the car one still applies for some reason

Blue laws, along with alcohol and gambling laws are what happens when the Baptists are writing the laws :D

OSUAggie
5/24/2008, 08:09 PM
at least OK is consistent... i don't know about KS and AR but that crap in Texas is just stupid.

You can't buy beer anywhere but a liquor store in Arkansas. Or at least that was the case a few years ago. I found it odd.