PDA

View Full Version : Oh Well, Time to Dance!!!!

OUSKINS
3/15/2008, 03:23 PM
Texas is simply a lot better than we are. A lot. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if UT is in the Final Four, or even hoisting the trophy when it's all said and done. Yes, as a Sooner, I hate Texas, but I REALLY, REALLY like and respect Barnes and what he has done in Austin. Not only do they get great talent, but they play hard and smart.

We played VERY hard today and I thought we had a good plan overall. We tied the game at 36-36 a few minutes into the 2nd half, and I was feeling pretty good. Then, WHAM! UT just changed gears and we couldn't keep up.

Oh well. Disappointed in the final score, but I wasn't under any illusion that we could play with the top tier of teams in college hoops in the first place.

The success in this season has already been attained. Winning 22 games and making it to the Big Dance makes this season a big success. The future looks bright for sure. Even if BG should leave, it appears Capel will be able to recruit and coach at a high level.

So, I'm going to enjoy the Selection Show and the upcoming week. A few thoughts:

1. We simply can't beat any GREAT teams in college basketball. The talent just isn't there to keep pace. If we wind up playing a team like UNC, UT, KU, Memphis, Tennessee, UCLA, etc. then that is where our road will end.

2. There is another tier of teams that we are UNLIKEY to beat, but I do think we'd have a chance at an upset (Georgetown, Louisville, Duke).

3. After that, it's a 50/50 proposition with all the other teams in the tourney we'd be likely to face.

So, what do I WANT?

I thought we were a very solid #7 seed entering the game today. I didn't think a loss would drop us out of that slot, but I'm a tad concerned that getting beaten so soundly could drop us to the 8-9 line. I really want a #7 seed so that we would potentially face one of those slightly more beatable teams in the 2nd round, as oppossed to the #1 seeds.

I think we have a 0% chance at being a 6 seed or better and a 0% chance at being a 10 seed or worse. It's 7, 8, or 9. Obviously, there is no real difference between the 8-9, but I think we'd be the 8.

Honestly, I just want to win our first game and stay alive into the weekend. That would take a very good season and turn it into a great season. Then, we could take our best shot at one of the big dogs and be happy with the outcome either way.

Excited to see where we wind up and who is in our bracket. If we get a #7 seed, I'll be a happy man. If we get a #8, I'd like to be in the bracket with Tennessee.

Big Red Ron
3/15/2008, 03:27 PM
Final score of ou-ut?

StoopTroup
3/15/2008, 03:27 PM
I hope we suddenly start hitting everything and become a team of destiny and win it all.

SleestakSooner
3/15/2008, 03:29 PM
Final score of ou-ut?
49-75:O

Big Red Ron
3/15/2008, 03:30 PM
49-75:O
:eek:

OUSKINS
3/15/2008, 03:33 PM
Actually, it was 77-49.

We tied it at 36 a few minutes into the 2nd half, then UT went nuts and we went ice cold.

Not all bad, and I mean this sincerely....Crocker and Johnson run hot and cold, and they are now due for a hot game or two....just in time :)

joeTsooner
3/15/2008, 03:39 PM
I hope we suddenly start hitting everything and become a team of destiny and win it all.

Let's go ahead and call them this years George Mason?

Or is George Mason this years George Mason?

kevpks
3/15/2008, 03:41 PM

All it takes is a six game winning streak. That's not so hard, is it?

Ash
3/15/2008, 03:43 PM
I agree, 7 seed. 8-9 would be a killer draw for this team.

Wherever we land, we need to be able to score more than 40 pts a game.

OUSKINS
3/15/2008, 03:47 PM
I just looked at it again, and I'd be a little surprised if we fall to an 8-9 seed. Looking at the other teams Lunardi has on the 7-9 lines, I'd say our resume' is still better than most despite the blowout today. I'll pull a Blevins and say we have a 70% chance at a #7 seed, a 25% chance at #8, and a 5% chance at #9.

colleyvillesooner
3/15/2008, 03:50 PM
Texas doesn't have the inside game to go to the Final Four in my opinion. One cold. Shooting day by Abrahams and/or Augustine against a better team than us us and they're out. Depending on their draw, I see them making the Elite 8, and that's it.

Hats off to them today, they we're clearly the better team.

Big Red Ron
3/15/2008, 03:52 PM
Texas doesn't have the inside game to go to the Final Four in my opinion. One cold. Shooting day by Abrahams and/or Augustine against a better team than us us and they're out. Depending on their draw, I see them making the Elite 8, and that's it.

Hats off to them today, they we're clearly the better team.Their team reminds me of our final 4 team a couple of years ago.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/15/2008, 03:54 PM
I just hope we can go 2 deep into the NCAA.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/15/2008, 04:12 PM
Their team reminds me of our final 4 team a couple of years ago.

I agree.

Tough to say because I don't like Texas but Barnes is a great coach. They are a particularly tough match-up for us but it is very possibly that they could be cutting down the nets in a few weeks.

My thoughts are along the lines of OUSkins. I think there are 7 teams though that have seperated themselves from the rest..UNC,Memp, UCLA,KU,Tex,Tenn and Duke. I can't see us beating any of those teams except maybe Duke.

After that I think there are some teams we could beat in round 2. G-Town,Louisville,Stanford,etc. I thought with our RPI a competitive game against Tex would possibly get us a 6-seed. I think we will be a 7 seed. My hope is that we of course first get a good match-up in the first round but then we get a 2nd round draw against Georgetown or Stanford. They both have big men that that can be a handful but have been known to get in foul trouble. We would be certainly an underdog but if Lopez or Hibbart got in foul trouble we would have a decent shot.

EDIT: I just saw Lunardi's latest projection on TV for the Big 12 teams. OU a 7 and KU and Tex both 2 seeds. If that is the case our chances are better of catching G-Town or Stan.

We are in the dance though so we have a shot.

SleestakSooner
3/15/2008, 04:17 PM
I agree, 7 seed. 8-9 would be a killer draw for this team.

Wherever we land, we need to be able to score more than 40 pts a game.

Will 49 work?

Hopefully the loss today will be motivation to play better. It's good to be back in the dance again no matter where we land. this could be a fun run or a short visit but Capel's kids got OU back after only one year away. It's good to be a Sooner and bad to be a Poke, all is right again in Oklahoma :D

SleestakSooner
3/15/2008, 04:19 PM
I just looked at it again, and I'd be a little surprised if we fall to an 8-9 seed. Looking at the other teams Lunardi has on the 7-9 lines, I'd say our resume' is still better than most despite the blowout today. I'll pull a Blevins and say we have a 70% chance at a #7 seed, a 25% chance at #8, and a 5% chance at #9.

If it were a true Blevins the total would add up to 115%

Ash
3/15/2008, 05:25 PM
Will 49 work?

:D

Nope. Need more. :P

Eielson
3/15/2008, 05:29 PM
I think we should be able to win the first round game. We've proven twice against Texas that we can hang with a legit 2 seed (for a half or so). If Crocker and Johnson happen to get hot in the second half of a game we might be able to take one down.

GottaHavePride
3/15/2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah, we could have kept that one close if we had been able to buy a bucket or two from outside. Plus we got unlucky that Abrams broke out of his slump and could not be stopped from 3-point range.

I thought that aside from just flat missing the basket, we looked like a solid team today. I like that this team at least seems to have an offensive philosophy to go to, where some of Kelvin's teams seemed to just go into "hand the ball to Nolan Johnson / Ebi Ere and hope something good happens" mode.

Jay C. Upchurch
3/15/2008, 08:58 PM
OUSKINS,

Nice post... logical, realistic with a touch of optimism... well done!

JU

tulsaoilerfan
3/15/2008, 09:57 PM

Hats off to them today, they we're clearly the better team.

they've been considerably better all 3 times, that flat out should not happen; hell even the Pokes have played them closer than we have

OUSKINS
3/16/2008, 09:50 AM
As of this morning, Lunardi has us still sitting at a #7 seed, playing South Alabama in the 1st round, with Tennessee next if we win. Has us slated in Birmingham.

King Crimson
3/16/2008, 10:01 AM
As of this morning, Lunardi has us still sitting at a #7 seed, playing South Alabama in the 1st round, with Tennessee next if we win. Has us slated in Birmingham.

Kent State is another team that seems to keep popping up in projections as an OU opponent. i'd just as soon not play South Alabama in Birmingham.

stoopified
3/16/2008, 10:01 AM
I hate losing like we did BUT 22-11 heading into postseason was my best case prediction prior tothe season.Given that OUr two best players have played hurt the last half of the year,I am happy with this seasonand OUr improvement over last year.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/16/2008, 10:04 AM
I think the limitations in our guard play are clearly evident when we play texass. I think they're just a bad matchup for us. We played better against a more inside oriented Memphis team. Hopefully we'll draw G'town or Stanford in the 2nd round.

Ash
3/16/2008, 01:39 PM
Memphis is guard oriented. But I agree with the point that we hope for a team that we match up well against.

Vegas Sooner
3/16/2008, 03:31 PM
...Lets make some noise in the tourney and attract some recruits!

cheezyq
3/17/2008, 09:35 AM
2. There is another tier of teams that we are UNLIKEY to beat, but I do think we'd have a chance at an upset (Georgetown, Louisville, Duke).

Excited to see where we wind up and who is in our bracket. If we get a #7 seed, I'll be a happy man. If we get a #8, I'd like to be in the bracket with Tennessee.

Wow, Skins, I hope you're right about some of this. Here you have us potentially being competitive with Louisville and Tennessee and look who's on our side in the bracket. :D

Honestly, I think we beat St. Joe's. Having a Friday matchup is great, and I think that Capel will have us ready and we'll win a back/forth matchup for most of the game by about 8-10 points at the end. I really think we have a chance to take down Louisville too. Personally, I think that IF we get to the Sweet 16, Tennessee will run us off the court, but even a Sweet 16 is excellent for this year's team.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/17/2008, 12:46 PM
Wow, Skins, I hope you're right about some of this. Here you have us potentially being competitive with Louisville and Tennessee and look who's on our side in the bracket. :D

Honestly, I think we beat St. Joe's. Having a Friday matchup is great, and I think that Capel will have us ready and we'll win a back/forth matchup for most of the game by about 8-10 points at the end. I really think we have a chance to take down Louisville too. Personally, I think that IF we get to the Sweet 16, Tennessee will run us off the court, but even a Sweet 16 is excellent for this year's team.

We have to get by St Joes first of course but Louisville to me looks like that finesse pitcher that you might wind up 0-4 against but it doesn't exactly make you uncomfortable in the batters box.

Louisville is a good team and we would be the clear underdog but they aren't going to compare athletically to teams like KU or Tex.

shaun4411
3/19/2008, 07:09 PM
i see this being ou's best chance at the sweet 16 than since 02