PDA

View Full Version : Cox vs AT&T

kbsooner
3/15/2008, 03:09 PM
Has anyone here made the switch from Cox bundle to AT&T bundle (via fiberoptics not satellite)? Any opinions out there? I like that AT&T gives you multiple boxes with DVR capabilities, but I have not done much research between the offerings.

Shneeg11
3/15/2008, 03:19 PM
after Cox blacked out the ESPN2 HD coverage of the game (I believe that is what happened, could be wrong) I'm about ready to switch

StoopTroup
3/15/2008, 03:32 PM
The only Cox has over anything else IMO....is they cover some Local HS games on I believe Channel 3.

Other than that....

Rabbit ears > Cox

BudSooner
3/15/2008, 04:44 PM
Nope, i'm employed by Cox.

Courtesy services>everything else.

shaun4411
3/15/2008, 06:16 PM
att uverse is awesome. it runs on dsl and the channel switching is 10x faster than cable and directv. it has a much bettter HD package (albeit it costs $10 or so) it has many more channels. and can dvr more than even directv .

SoonerObsession
3/15/2008, 06:56 PM
I have ATT Uverse. I love it, but it does have some things it needs worked out. The main box is the only dvr box. The other boxes for the other rooms are only cable boxes, so you are not able to watch recorded shows or use dvr features (rewind, etc) on them. The Video on demand is nice and there are over 700 movies you can download on demand. The Motorola DVR has had it's issues as well. ATT had to replace one dvr for us because when watching certain channels it would freeze up if we tried to rewind. Since we got a new box, I have had to reboot the system several times because it gets hung up every once in a while. It seems like with each new update you get from them the system runs a little better than before. Installation takes a whole day, so when they come be ready to do a few honey do's around the house. One last thing...there's no slow motion feature. Not a biggy to some, but it really ticks me off when I want to see a foul called on a Sooner that I am pretty sure never happened. :D I was happy with the installers and how thorough they worked. They gave me a ton of extra cables (2 extra HD cables just in case I needed them)and they set you up on a wireless network for all your computers in your home. My internet access has been spotless and efficient. All in all I'm glad I switched. I even got $100 gift card and a $50 gift card for making the switch.

Mjcpr
3/15/2008, 07:00 PM
So why is all that better than Cox, is it cheaper or something? I have pretty much all of the same features and I have Cox and have had for quite a while and I don't have any complaints at all. I know I'm in the minority around here, but I'm happy with them. It seems a little expesive though, is all but I think that's going to be the case with any cable, HD, DVR, internet service bill.

SoonerObsession
3/15/2008, 07:10 PM
It was cheaper for me. I have over 250 channels, +40 HD channels, and highspeed internet for $80 a month.

r5TPsooner
3/15/2008, 07:24 PM
I have ATT Uverse. I love it, but it does have some things it needs worked out. The main box is the only dvr box. The other boxes for the other rooms are only cable boxes, so you are not able to watch recorded shows or use dvr features (rewind, etc) on them. The Video on demand is nice and there are over 700 movies you can download on demand. The Motorola DVR has had it's issues as well. ATT had to replace one dvr for us because when watching certain channels it would freeze up if we tried to rewind. Since we got a new box, I have had to reboot the system several times because it gets hung up every once in a while. It seems like with each new update you get from them the system runs a little better than before. Installation takes a whole day, so when they come be ready to do a few honey do's around the house. One last thing...there's no slow motion feature. Not a biggy to some, but it really ticks me off when I want to see a foul called on a Sooner that I am pretty sure never happened. :D I was happy with the installers and how thorough they worked. They gave me a ton of extra cables (2 extra HD cables just in case I needed them)and they set you up on a wireless network for all your computers in your home. My internet access has been spotless and efficient. All in all I'm glad I switched. I even got $100 gift card and a $50 gift card for making the switch.

Only ONE receiver in the house that can record with AT&T? If so, that's f***in crazy!

And I thought (they still do) that Cox sucked!

Partial Qualifier
3/15/2008, 08:37 PM
I have pretty much all of the same features and I have Cox and have had for quite a while and I don't have any complaints at all. I know I'm in the minority around here, but I'm happy with them.

Me too. :O

kbsooner
3/15/2008, 08:53 PM
I can't say I have been dissatisfied with Cox, but not enamored either. Our On Demand works when it wants to even after having a guy out to fix it. I guess you get 1 box with DVR, but having multiple boxes with the expanded package would be nice for the other TVs. I also was told that the AT&T DVR can record 4 shows at once, Which would be awesoms for our show addictions. The Cox DVR and bedroom Tivo are working full time on Tuesdays and Sundays. The rep that came to our house did say that their HD signal did support 1080i and Cox was 720p. I'm sure both are similarly priced, it is a gut check when I think about the almost $1900 a year I drop on the "price saving" bundle. Thanks for the opinions so far...

SoonerObsession
3/15/2008, 10:19 PM
With Uverse, we can record 4 shows at one time (unless one of them is HD), but you just can't watch the recorded show on the other tv's. One nice thing that I forgot to mention earlier is that you can go to the Uverse website and log in to program your dvr from work. It's come in handy when I forgot to program the dvr to record an OU game. It worked like a charm.

BudSooner
3/16/2008, 05:58 AM
Obsession you can program your Tivo from their website also, not to mention share photos/videos with other computers/Tivos in the house when you are on a network...and the ability to download your videos to an Ipod/Zune is cool.
The podcasting featre is nice also.

BigRedJed
3/16/2008, 11:05 AM
I have no complaints with Cox, either. None.

Boomer.....
3/19/2008, 11:48 AM
Another vote for no complaints with Cox.

soonerboomer93
3/19/2008, 12:31 PM
i'll add my vote for tivo pwns all other dvrs

SoonerTerry
3/19/2008, 12:32 PM
High speed internet=cox

that is all

Miko
3/19/2008, 12:41 PM
I'd say ATT has size and reach and out weighs cox.

I would take att and lay the points. :cool:

picasso
3/19/2008, 01:04 PM
so what's the consensus? I've heard from many that Cox raises it's rates after a while. But, they do have the Bob Stoops playback. Plus, AT&T is with Dish Network right? blech.

Mjcpr
3/19/2008, 01:43 PM
You're probably thinking of "introductory" packages or something where the price goes up after the 3 month or 6 month initial period or something. You just have to know what plan you're getting I guess. And I thought everybody did that to draw customers but maybe not.

Cox raised their basic cable rate and DVR lease rate by, I think, $2 each this month....or maybe it's next month. But that's going to happen with whoever you choose, they're going to all be "about the same" or they couldn't compete.

How often do you lose your satellite signal due to weather? Anyone lose theirs during all of the cloud cover and rain on Mon and Tue? I think that would be bug the hell out of me if I had satellite.

Vaevictis
3/19/2008, 02:01 PM
Heh, I lose signal with Cox as often as I lost signal with DirecTV :) And the outages last longer with Cox.

That's just my experience though.

mdklatt
3/19/2008, 02:26 PM
Heh, I lose signal with Cox as often as I lost signal with DirecTV

If you have reception problems with cable it's (theoretically) fixable. Reception problems with satellite are just the way it is. My parents' DirecTV fades and goes out all the time if there's any rain or strong wind. Of course, they got DirecTV in the first place because their cable company (not Cox) was sucktastic, so YMMV.

I've had zero problems with Cox. The TV went out one time, but rebooting the decoder box fixed it right away. Internet drops off every now and then, but only for a few seconds at most; I usually don't even notice unless I happen to look at the modem. I've got Cox phone service too, and the quality is noticeably better than SBC was (but I think that's due to the crappy phone wiring in my apartment).

Vaevictis
3/19/2008, 04:17 PM
Well, having problems with satellite is usually fixable too, it just might take more effort than you're willing to put out.

I'm not really complaining about Cox, mind you -- just saying that it's not all peaches and roses. If something happens with Cox, it can take a day or more to fix it, depending on how quickly they get out there. Same goes for the dish, but *usually* it's transient and self-correcting (weather).

mdklatt
3/19/2008, 04:19 PM
If something happens with Cox, it can take a day or more to fix it, depending on how quickly they get out there. Same goes for the dish, but *usually* it's transient and self-correcting (weather).

Unless there's a solar flare that wipes out the satellite. ;)

Yeah, my parents' cable company was the suck. When they installed the cable, they didn't even bury it. It was laying across the alley. So after getting run over a few dozen times the cable would end up torn in half. The idiot cable people would just splice in a new piece and leave it laying in the alley. We kept telling them what was going to happen while they were working, explaining to them the concept of an "alley" and how "vehicles" travel up and down it and constantly run over the cable with their "tires". Sure enough, a few days later the cable would be in pieces again. My mom kept track of how often the cable was out, and told the them she was going to pro-rate the bill accordingly. They finally buried the cable, but then we were getting bleedthrough of broadcast channels. There's nothing like seeing Showtime and PBS at the same time on the same channel.

Vaevictis
3/19/2008, 04:25 PM
Unless there's a solar flare that wipes out the satellite. ;)

Yeah. But even that is fixable. Just expensive ;)

Ruuuuuufus
3/19/2008, 04:32 PM
after Cox blacked out the ESPN2 HD coverage of the game (I believe that is what happened, could be wrong) I'm about ready to switch

I think every cable company did that. It's an ESPN thing I guess.

picasso
3/19/2008, 05:07 PM
You're probably thinking of "introductory" packages or something where the price goes up after the 3 month or 6 month initial period or something. You just have to know what plan you're getting I guess. And I thought everybody did that to draw customers but maybe not.

Cox raised their basic cable rate and DVR lease rate by, I think, $2 each this month....or maybe it's next month. But that's going to happen with whoever you choose, they're going to all be "about the same" or they couldn't compete.

How often do you lose your satellite signal due to weather? Anyone lose theirs during all of the cloud cover and rain on Mon and Tue? I think that would be bug the hell out of me if I had satellite.

that could be it, I know two neighbors of mine who had their rates increase.

I rarely had problems with the dish in the rain.

BudSooner
3/19/2008, 05:57 PM
FWIW, Cox is upgrading it's systems with fiber optics on a routine basis where AT&T is still relying on mostly 100+ old wiring, albeit they are S L O W L Y upgrading alot of areas with fiber to the curb for use with UVerse.

Even with my free preferred tier, it's still faster than DSL.

Not to mention, during the ice storm Cox was in the neighborhoods before AEP had our power ready....AT&T? 2, yes 2 weeks later they had our phone back on!

Those commercials that say Cox phone is unreliable are full of it btw, think about it most phone lines mostly run next to most cable companies coax.

Or is there some magical phone line that is immune from having a ginormous limb keep from bringing it down???

Cox>AT&T

Vaevictis
3/19/2008, 06:15 PM
Those commercials that say Cox phone is unreliable are full of it btw, think about it most phone lines mostly run next to most cable companies coax.

I've had more telco outages in 2 years of Cox than I'd ever experienced in my life prior to that.

The main difference is that the old school telcos have a long standing commitment to five nines, and their equipment and investments show it. Cox hasn't, and it shows it too.

Acts of God will screw up both. Acts of Man hit Cox harder, because Cox doesn't try as hard for reliability.

BudSooner
3/19/2008, 07:12 PM
Also don't forget when it comes to the video playground AT&T is the new kid on the block and gets more play from the gubmint than the traditional players IE:Cox/Time Warner/Comcast/Directv/Dish.

They don't have to play by the same rules, but thats ok because when the bandwidth dries up due to many decades old lines and due to the kiddos wanting to use the net for games,wifey wanting to do something online and dad wanting to watch the NFL in HD....we will see who is left standing.

Myself even if I wasn't working for Cox would not want to use AT&T for anything other than phone.

Twisted copper sucks.

Vaevictis
3/19/2008, 07:41 PM
Heh, I wouldn't be too quick prognosticating about AT&T's bandwidth drying up. Fiber's cheap these days, and if they want more, they've got plenty of money.

BudSooner
3/19/2008, 08:45 PM
True, i've also heard talk about them installing fiber to the curb(YIKES!! thats some pretty deep pockets)but we are also in the process of doing MAJOR upgrades to our system to carry us into the next century.
I'm more than confident that we can compete with them.

I'm just trying to figure out how Dish and Directv are getting into the OnDemand arena...it doesn't make sense.

Cam
3/23/2008, 09:46 AM
I have no complaints with Cox, either. None.

Me neither.

I work from home now, so there is no way I'm giving up my Cox HSI for DSL.