PDA

View Full Version : Online Personal Finance Programs...

OUAndy1807
3/14/2008, 10:43 PM
Anyone use one? I've been using Yodlee for the last 3 months and it kicks the **** out of Microsoft Money or Quicken.

These things are safe, right?

StoopTroup
3/14/2008, 10:55 PM
Money and quicken blow.

OUAndy1807
3/14/2008, 10:59 PM
yeah, they were both terrible for me and required constant manual reconciling when I downloaded transactions. I'm telling you, yodlee needs none of that and it's completely free.

StoopTroup
3/15/2008, 11:44 AM
yeah I'm telling you, yodlee needs none of that and it's completely free.

Never heard of that one.

I'll check it out.

StoopTroup
3/15/2008, 11:53 AM
These things are safe, right?

Just saw this...

Another potential problem is that of security. It's an ID thief's dream to have access to all of your accounts, so be sure make your Yodlee login password a very strong password.

and this....

Yodlee's business model has two streams of income. Yodlee charges its partners a licensing fee for the Yodlee technology, which the partners then incorporate into their Web sites. Yodlee also charges its partners an annual per-user fee for the technology. Each partner has to pony up for each person that uses Yodlee through its site. Yodlee's partners could charge Web surfers for Yodlee, but so far that hasn't happened. Yodlee's Flanigan says that she expects the basic level of Yodlee service to remain free to users, although some of the partners that use Yodlee may eventually charge a nominal fee for additional services, such as transferring funds from one online account to another.

StoopTroup
3/15/2008, 11:56 AM
Looks like lots of folks have been using it for a few years.

I keep seeing stuff about having a strong password, but I think that's probably smart to do with any of your finances.

yermom
3/15/2008, 12:06 PM
Another potential problem is that of security. It's an ID thief's dream to have access to all of your accounts, so be sure make your Yodlee login password a very strong password.

um, no thanks

Vaevictis
3/15/2008, 12:35 PM
Except for the part where you have all of your financial data stored in one single place, on the internet, with who knows how many other people (making it a high profile, high reward target) and you're trusting a third party to take care of it, yeah I'd say it's pretty secure.

(Which is to say, not with a ten foot pole. The only reason I'll do online stuff with my bank is because they'll assume liability for it if something goes wrong.)

StoopTroup
3/15/2008, 12:37 PM
What if you have "Indentity theft'' protection?

http://appraisalnewsonline.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/11/18/idtheft.jpg

Vaevictis
3/15/2008, 12:44 PM
Depends on what exactly you mean by "identity theft protection."

StoopTroup
3/15/2008, 12:52 PM
Well....

There is that guy who goes around letting everybody know his SSN...

He seems to be pretty sure about himself.

Seriously...

Even Quicken, Money and Quickbooks scare the heck out of me...

I've used all three and would love to find something better.

Vaevictis
3/15/2008, 12:59 PM
There is that guy who goes around letting everybody know his SSN...

He seems to be pretty sure about himself.

Yeah. I read a news article a month or so ago... his identity got stolen.

Vaevictis
3/15/2008, 01:02 PM
The thing you've got to realize about identity theft is that there are too many vectors to attack from. A third party tool can help, but it can't stop everything -- and the more the would be thief knows about you, the more avenues of attack become open.

Hence why I feel concentrating it all on an online site is ... questionable. If they get all that information, they're going to find a way to exploit it. And for the most part, you end up holding the bag.

StoopTroup
3/15/2008, 01:22 PM
Hence why I feel concentrating it all on an online site is ... questionable. If they get all that information, they're going to find a way to exploit it. And for the most part, you end up holding the bag.

That's exactly how those made me feel.

I dealt with approving and denying retail credit for a few years and also took accounting as a Major in College.

The thing that has and will continue to disturb me about this Country is the way your Credit can get damaged by no fault of your own.

I hate to say this but I think one of the Major needed fixes in this Country is the way Credit Reporting affects ours lives.

It's never a big deal until it's ruined.

Widescreen
3/15/2008, 11:04 PM
<Jedi mind trick>You will buy Quicken.</Jedi mind trick>