PDA

View Full Version : Lynn Katoa with some problems at CU

King Crimson
3/14/2008, 04:25 PM
i'm hearing an incident from a party about a month ago.

apparently left a party and picked up a rock returned to party and assaulted a fellow student. other kid hospitalized with stitches. something like this....

just rumor now....but, he's turned himself in for something on $5000 bail.

OK. here's a link.

http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/mar/14/cu-football-player-arrested-assault-charges/

Boulder police arrested a University of Colorado football player today in connection with the assault of another CU student at an off-campus party last month.

Freshman linebacker Lynn Katoa, 18, turned himself in today and is being held at the Boulder County Jail on $5,000 bond on suspicion of second-degree assault, police said.

Police were called to an apartment in the 1000 block of 12th Street early Feb. 16 on a report of an assault. Witnesses told police that a member of the football team –- later identified as Katoa –- came through the door, yelling, then pushed one victim’s head into the wall and hit him in the forehead while holding a rock in his fist.

The suspect then punched a second victim in the head.

The first victim, Cameron Shafer, was taken to the hospital, where he required stitches. The second victim declined to pursue charges. The suspects were no longer on scene when officers arrived.

According to police, further investigation revealed that the assault stemmed from an altercation that had occurred outside the apartment building a short while earlier.

In the course of the preceding fight, one of Katoa’s friends was shocked by a stun gun, angering Katoa. The men with the stun gun took off in a vehicle while others chased them.

Katoa is accused of picking up a rock and going inside the house to confront some of the other occupants, police said. The suspects involved in the stun gun incident have not yet been identified.

Katoa graduated early from Salt Lake City's Cottonwood High School to get an early start on academics at CU and preparing for next season with the Buffs.

The linebacker was one of the Buffs' top recruits, earning consensus All-American honors after last season.

Rivals.com ranked him as the No. 2 inside linebacker in the nation and the No. 62 ranked player in the country. As a senior, he recorded 175 tackles, with 33 for losses and six quarterback sacks to go with five forced fumbles, two recoveries and an interception.

Rhino
3/14/2008, 04:34 PM
Good thing we whiffed on him.

Collier11
3/14/2008, 04:53 PM
Good thing we whiffed on him.

might you say that our recruitment of him was...Rocky! Thats all I got...

PLaw
3/14/2008, 06:08 PM
damn 'roids.

BOOMER

KantoSooner
3/14/2008, 06:15 PM
You know, if that story is true and he was confronting a bunch of azzhats who'd stun gunned a friend, I'm not so sure he was out of line. Ill advised, sure. But I frankly have little trouble with clean retaliation.
If that's what it was. And we don't really know the facts, yet.

RedstickSooner
3/14/2008, 06:30 PM
You know, if that story is true and he was confronting a bunch of azzhats who'd stun gunned a friend, I'm not so sure he was out of line. Ill advised, sure. But I frankly have little trouble with clean retaliation.
If that's what it was. And we don't really know the facts, yet.

Well, there's a chance the cops know more than we do -- and apparently, they had trouble with what he did.

Dunno why we'd second guess them.

piusbovis
3/14/2008, 08:39 PM
I don't see where anyone is second guessing the cops. If he did go after them to retaliate for his friend being stunned he could still be in trouble with the law without really being egregiously wrong. Vigilante justice is, after all, against the law. Probably the fact that it didn't occur during the initial scuffle, where it could have been called self-defense, plays into the arrest. Assuming that is all that happened, that is.

KantoSooner
3/14/2008, 09:57 PM
That's about where I was going. sorry to not be more clear. I don't know the precise facts, but what I know so far is not enough to condemn the guy. At least not morally.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/15/2008, 12:46 AM
Well it is Boulder and they ARE liberal.

GoBuffs99
3/15/2008, 01:20 AM
If the article above is true, and Katoa did assault someone with a rock in his hands, then he's done. Instead of playing mr. toughguy he should've been calling the police. Or an ambulance for his boy that got tazered. jmo.

It's really sad seeing college athletes throw it all away for some stupid BS.

insuranceman_22
3/16/2008, 12:45 AM
Here's another link on it:
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&c=737562

MojoRisen
3/16/2008, 08:53 AM
If I am 18 years old and a guy tazer's my buddy. Sadly I would say that I would have thrown down on those guys. Not sure about the rock in hand thing but to me - it sounds like they will have to get all the players involved in this one on the Stand- before I would convict anyone of anything.

Sounds like a college fight too me -

King Crimson
3/16/2008, 09:07 AM
in a separate incident, CU had another player arrested for fighting yesterday as well. as my buddy "quipped", maybe the players weren't reading the copies of Herman Hesse's Siddhartha that Hawkins issued along with pads and helmets.

now, one should keep in mind how the CU fans i know (many, many of them good friends) all just had a hoot about the Jarboe incident and how "win at all costs" and "sleazy" Stoops and OU are.

now, that the card has turned and their top 100 LB is in the pinch (one of the stars of their recruiting class)....they are pushing that we wait til all the facts come out. be fair. but, when it is/was another team, another program....and especially Nebraska....they are automatic moral high-ground occupants. everyone else lets things slide for bad actors since on-field success is the goal at any cost, but CU athletes are unfortunate persecuted victims who deserve due process.

double standards are nifty.

Jacie
3/16/2008, 11:51 AM
Is this a normal year in terms of recruits getting into trouble? First it was OUr kid, JJ. Next was a southern cow signee and now a puff. Strictly speaking, it is better for the schools that they flame out early rather than after making the team.