PDA

View Full Version : Soldier Care Package

Fraggle145
3/14/2008, 12:43 PM
So I am getting ready to send my buddy some stuff out in Iraq. This is the first time I have sent anything out there so I was wondering:

What is some more good stuff I can put in there? right now I have:
Baby Wipes
Louisianna Hot Sauce
Magazines
Red Man Chewing tobacco

Also is there anything special I should know about mailing it? Like how much it is how long it takes... things I can do to make it get there faster etc...

Thanks for the input

shaun4411
3/14/2008, 12:47 PM
playboy magazines were popular at one time. once i sent absinthe, and that too was apparently a hit.

Viking Kitten
3/14/2008, 01:43 PM
Around Christmas time, I talked to a lady (a serviceman's mom) who was sending over a ton of care packages to her son's unit.

One thing she mentioned as being popular is packets of condiments from fast food places, especially stuff like Taco Bell hot sauce. Apparently MREs are pretty bland, so anything to spice them up is a big help. You mentioned Louisiana hot sauce so apparently you're on the right track... maybe the smaller packets are really convenient?

Kudos to you for taking care of your buddy!

Fugue
3/14/2008, 02:18 PM
I saw a story on the news the other day about a lady who is sending over red clown noses. She is a clown and thought it would raise spirits. It did. She has scrap books full of pics the soldiers have sent back wearing the noses. This post has a lot of words.

Anyway send some stuff like that too.

Rhino
3/14/2008, 02:26 PM
I had an idea awhile back about local musicians / record stores donating CDs to send to soldiers.

Is that something that would be good to send? Do they have more use for CDs or digital music? I know I heard awhile back about how sand ruins all their electronics, so I don't even know if its worth it to them.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/14/2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure they can have dirty magazines anymore. I would think card games would be good. I'd also send some of those 100 calorie snack packs. My brother always requested peanut butter.

Miko
3/14/2008, 02:44 PM
I heard about this place in Dallas that had somehting the soldiers were going ape**** over. It is basically a solar charger that can be used to charge an ipod etc. Dunno where else to get one, but should be worth a web search. THey were under $20.

shaun4411
3/14/2008, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure they can have dirty magazines anymore. I would think card games would be good. I'd also send some of those 100 calorie snack packs. My brother always requested peanut butter.

they technically arent supposed to have dirty magazines anyways.

Miko
3/14/2008, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure they can have dirty magazines anymore. I would think card games would be good.

No, I guess they;re prolly not supposed to. I am sure that would make them all the more popular.

Or kill two birds with one stone, send a deck of cards with dirty pickshures on 'em!!! :D

M
3/14/2008, 03:07 PM
Here (http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm?from=smallbizpick&page=flatrate) is the info for priority mail shipping.

Soldiers' needs vary greatly depending on their unit, but some ideas are toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, chicken/tuna in a pack, card games, video games (if someone in his unit has a console), cookies in individual packs (dust and sand can get in those big bags and ruin the whole bag), nail clippers, foot powder, Kool-Aid packets, socks, underwear. Also my cousin said candy to hand out to Iraqi children was a great way to charm the locals. I also heard that Beanie Babies are good "peacekeeping tools" for the local children and are easy for soldiers to carry in their packs. Not sure if this would apply to your friend, but it's something you normally wouldn't think about.

TexasSooner01
3/14/2008, 03:59 PM
My cousin who is stationed in Iraq likes for us to send chocolate. We would unrap the chocolate and put it into those ziploc plastic containers then we would send plastic spoons and forks.

That way the chocolate would melt in the container as one big brick of chocolate and then the soliders could eat it with the spoons or forks.

Viking Kitten
3/14/2008, 04:26 PM
I just like saying big brick o' chocolate.

olevetonahill
3/14/2008, 04:33 PM
Booze and Pron . Pron and Booze
Thats a fact . If he dont want it He can trade for ANYTHING he does .
Just sayin

M
3/14/2008, 04:36 PM
I just like saying pron and booze.

olevetonahill
3/14/2008, 04:44 PM
I just like saying pron and booze.

My kinda Lady :cool:

OUHOMER
3/14/2008, 04:55 PM
Chap Stick

Jimminy Crimson
3/14/2008, 05:04 PM
Robertson's Beef Jerky!

Shneeg11
3/14/2008, 07:40 PM
Robertson's Beef Jerky!

agreed, will definitely make everyone thirsty though

olevetonahill
3/14/2008, 07:49 PM
The More of that type stuff you send , the More there is there,
The Dude with the Pron and Booze , Can get More trade that way .
Trust me the Dude or Dudette with The Booze and Pron Rules .
;)

Tailwind
3/14/2008, 07:57 PM
Socks.

Newbomb Turk
3/14/2008, 07:57 PM
natty

olevetonahill
3/14/2008, 08:02 PM
natty

Weighs to much!
Trust me folks . Booze and Pron! that Youngster will be able to name His /her Price and get anything they need Or want .:pop:

Newbomb Turk
3/14/2008, 08:05 PM
Weighs to much!

but it's Natty Light?

:confused:

olevetonahill
3/14/2008, 08:15 PM
but it's Natty Light?

:confused:

trust me .:cool:

shaun4411
3/14/2008, 08:19 PM
send condoms.

olevetonahill
3/14/2008, 09:11 PM
send condoms.

Camels aint got the Clap yet !

Fraggle145
3/15/2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys for the all of the suggestions...