PDA

View Full Version : Oopsie!

M
3/14/2008, 09:09 AM
Lost military rocket crashes into Tulsa apartment building (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080314_1__Arock56356)

by: STAFF REPORTS
3/14/2008 12:00 AM

Federal authorities are investigating why a military rocket traveling about 600 mph crashed into a building at a Tulsa apartment complex Thursday evening.

Jeremy Isbell, who lives at the Canyon Creek Apartments, 2102 E. 51st St., said he was told by a federal investigator that the rocket came from a military plane. It crashed into a building that houses electrical equipment and knocked out an apartment wall and power to the complex.

Tulsa Police Capt. Rick Helberg confirmed that early Friday.

A federal agent told him that a military pilot thought the rocket, which had a "dummy warhead" on it, had been dropped over a Kansas field but that the pilot never saw the smoke trail that would have indicated that the rocket did indeed drop.

Helberg said the Air National Guard was on a routine training mission and thought they'd lost the "inert military ordnance" somewhere over Kansas.

Isbell said Friday morning that the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were at the site all night and that the warhead had been removed from the scene.

A call placed to the Air National Guard base in Tulsa was not returned by early Friday. The military is expected to issue a press release on the incident Friday.

Isbell said the electricity was off when he and his wife arrived at their home on Thursday evening. After they went inside, his wife, Kyla Isbell, discovered that their bathroom wall had been knocked out.

Isbell said he went outside to tell AEP-PSO employees who were trying to find the cause of the outage that the damage to his home might have been caused by an electrical explosion.

The workers then looked at the damage and found the rocket -- half of which was buried in the concrete structure of the building that housed the complex's electrical equipment. The other part of the rocket, which had fins on it, was twisted and broken off but probably measured at least 2 feet in length, he said.

The rocket had plunged through some trees before it hit the building, and firefighters were using ladders to climb into the trees, apparently to try to determine its trajectory, Isbell said.

Associate Images:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/DixieChickMissy/rocket1.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/DixieChickMissy/rocket2.jpg
Jeremy Isbell used his cell phone to photograph the end of the rocket found in his apartments wall.

Viking Kitten
3/14/2008, 09:15 AM
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/D_oh.jpg

proud gonzo
3/14/2008, 09:19 AM
they're lucky it didn't land on people.

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 09:24 AM
So I guess it was OK if it landed in some random place in Kansas? :confused:

proud gonzo
3/14/2008, 09:32 AM
So I guess it was OK if it landed in some random place in Kansas? :confused:well, to be fair there isn't much in most of kansas. I'm guessing it wasn't supposed to land in a RANDOM place. :O

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 09:34 AM
Was it the Oklahoma Air National Guard? I'm thinking it was politicians in OKC getting worried about the stuff Tulsa's doing to improve itself. Was that apartment anywhere near the BOK center?

M
3/14/2008, 09:38 AM
Was it the Oklahoma Air National Guard? I'm thinking it was politicians in OKC getting worried about the stuff Tulsa's doing to improve itself. Was that apartment anywhere near the BOK center?

Heh, no, but it's not too far from the river! :rolleyes:

mxATVracer10
3/14/2008, 01:01 PM
Here's a little update on this...

Federal authorities are investigating why a dummy bomb traveling about 600 mph crashed into a building at a Tulsa apartment complex Thursday.

The non-explosive BDU-33 bomb came from an F-16 fighter plane that was headed for Salina, Kan., from the Tulsa Air National Guard Base, according to a press release from the Oklahoma Air National Guard. The plane took off about 3 p.m. and the bomb was inadvertently released from the aircraft a few minutes later.

No one was injured when the bomb crashed into the Canyon Creek Apartments, 2102 E. 51st St. It hit a building that houses electrical equipment and knocked out an apartment wall and power to the complex.

The BDU-33, which weighs 22 pounds and is used during training, has a spotting charge that releases a cloud of smoke on impact, but the pilot never saw the smoke trail that would have indicated it did indeed drop.

Pricetag
3/14/2008, 01:43 PM
The BDU-33, which weighs 22 pounds and is used during training, has a spotting charge that releases a cloud of smoke on impact, but the pilot never saw the smoke trail that would have indicated it did indeed drop.
Why would he see it? Wouldn't he have had to turn around?

StoopTroup
3/14/2008, 02:14 PM
It was only doing 600 mph...

I can't imagine why he didn't see it.

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 02:20 PM
See? Apparently Oklahoma WAS intending to bomb Kansas. Probably a good idea, really.

BORDER WAR!!!