PDA

View Full Version : Backfeild recruiting

Big John
3/12/2008, 10:22 PM
I was basically bored and ready for the new football season to start, so I decided to go on about the backfield recruiting situation to give people something to discuss. Please excuse any typing mess-ups.

At QB, I can't imagine anyone commiting here. The position is loaded with Bradford, Nichol, and Jones all likely being here for the next few years. The only reason I would commit to OU if I was a QB is if I was a blue chip, homegrown kid whose always dreamed of playing at OU. I think the same would be true for any other QB recruit considering OU.
I'm really bored, so I decided to type about the backfield recruiting situation.

It would be nice to get A.J. McCarron though. He has nice height (6'3"), though not a burner (4.8 40), but he has a great touchdown to interception ratio (25-4 sophomore, 26-3junior year). I bet it's a long shot to get him since a lot of other great schools across the south have offered him such as LSU, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Miami.

At RB, we appear to be stacked in this department as well with Murray, Brown, Madu, Calhoun, and Johnson all comming back for the next couple of years. The situation is much like the QB situation, which is a good one.

We have too much young talent. Brown has already followed his brother to Miami and Chris Whaley has already committed to Texas. Whaley has to be the most intriguing recruits physically this season as he is around 6'2" and 220 pounds. The real impressive measureable is his speed to compliment to great size running in the 4.4-4.5 range. His stats will turn heads as well with 2,100 yards last year, averaging over 8 yards a carry, with 28 touchdowns. While I'm not completely heartbroken to see him go elsewhere, it sucks he had to choose Texas.

OU did however pickup a running back commit out of Garland, Texas named Jonathan Miller (6'0" 190 4.5). He racked up nearly 2,000 yards last season, averaging nearly 8 yards a handoff, with 25 touchdowns. While he is not on any all-american lists early on, the Sooner coaching staff had to have been impressed with him to offer him so early.

Offers have also been made to Eddie Lacey (5'10" 205 4.4) out of Louisiana who rushed for 1,200 yards and 19 touchdowns as a sophomore, along with Dexter Pratt (6'0" 215 4.5) out of Texas.

One suprise thus far is Carl Albert product David Oku (5'8" 175 4.4) not listed as having received an offer yet. He is rated as a 4 star (****) recruit by both major recruiting sites.

It would be nice to get a fullback, but it's difficult when you never handoff and rarely pass to the guys at the position. That might change as Matt Clapp is getting reps at running back, recieving handoffs because of the lack of spring depth. Judging by the past though, it seems like the fullback spot could remain primarily a blocker for yet another season. OU doesn't come off as being very worried about the current situation as they decided not to offer instate fullback recruit Cameron Gladd last season. That may be somewhat understandable because it's always a possibility to move a linebacker or someone else over to play fullback (ex: Lamont Robinson).

As far as I know, they haven't offered any fullbacks this season. With Clapp and Eldridge both being juniors this upcomming season, a replacement for next season shouldn't be completely neccesary.

OU has already picked a commit from in-state recruit Ronnell Lewis (6'2" 220). He rushed for 2,000 yards and 40 touchdowns on offense, but also picked off 11 passes. Scout.com and Rivals.com both think that he will play outside linebacker.

CK Sooner
3/12/2008, 10:43 PM
At QB, I can't imagine anyone commiting here. The position is loaded with Bradford, Nichol, and Jones all likely being here for the next few years. The only reason I would commit to OU if I was a QB is if I was a blue chip, homegrown kid whose always dreamed of playing at OU. I think the same would be true for any other QB recruit considering OU.
I'm really bored, so I decided to type about the backfield recruiting situation.

I think it was Jacob Karam that said he wanted to be a Sooner, we will probaly take a one or two qb's this year.

One suprise thus far is Carl Albert product David Oku (5'8" 175 4.4) not listed as having received an offer yet. He is rated as a 4 star (****) recruit by both major recruiting sites.

We offered a couple of weeks ago.

As far as I know, they haven't offered any fullbacks this season. With Clapp and Eldridge both being juniors this upcomming season, a replacement for next season shouldn't be completely neccesary.

I read somewhere that we will most likely try to offer one

We also offered a safety that is Oku's teammate, that should help us a bit because the safety said he wanted to go where Oku goes, so hopefully he will get in his ear.

snp
3/15/2008, 05:46 PM
I'd like to get the fastest QB worth throwing a scholarship at, like Rollison or Shepard even though both of those guys appear to be off the board for us. We have the luxury of great QB depth now and I'd like to take a chance on a guy and let him develop slowly under Heupel.

Anything else we get on top of Miller at RB is awesome. Oku would be a great change of pace back but our depth here is pretty good too so can't hold your breath.

I'm not too worried about fullback recruiting, after all it is probably the least important position on the field. With Gresham, Eldridge and Hanna I bet we'll see more double/triple TE packages and more H-Back looks anyways.

redpurple
4/7/2008, 06:13 PM
how is johnson looking

redpurple
4/7/2008, 06:13 PM
whats the depth chart at running back

goingoneight
4/7/2008, 10:28 PM
In the fall, it should look like this until someone makes a name for themself.

Murray
Brown
Madu
Calhoun/Johnson

Outside of Murray, we don't really have any excitable guys proven yet. A lot of people are high on Calhoun and Johnson, they just look like regular backs to me. Nice size and speed, but it's kinda hard to judge when they blow the whistle before the guys can break out into open field.

Rhino
4/7/2008, 11:26 PM
Judging by the past though, it seems like the fullback spot could remain primarily a blocker for yet another season. OU doesn't come off as being very worried about the current situation as they decided not to offer instate fullback recruit Cameron Gladd last season. That may be somewhat understandable because it's always a possibility to move a linebacker or someone else over to play fullback (ex: Lamont Robinson). Gladd will be a walk-on this fall.

insuranceman_22
4/9/2008, 08:53 AM
Gladd will be a walk-on this fall.

I like that....he may surprise some people.

Civicus_Sooner
4/9/2008, 12:13 PM
In the fall, it should look like this until someone makes a name for themself.

Murray
Brown
Madu
Calhoun/Johnson

Outside of Murray, we don't really have any excitable guys proven yet. A lot of people are high on Calhoun and Johnson, they just look like regular backs to me. Nice size and speed, but it's kinda hard to judge when they blow the whistle before the guys can break out into open field.I haven't seem much of Calhoun but Johnson really looked good saturday. He broke a 60 yard TD that had a phantom holding call downfield that brought it back but I was much more impressed with Johnson than Madu.

snp
4/9/2008, 09:06 PM
Looks like we can forget about Oku for the time being. He cut us from the list today.

http://newsok.com/article/3227836/1207785918

MIDWEST CITY — Carl Albert running back David Oku has cut several teams, including Oklahoma, from the list of schools he is considering. The junior lists USC, Ohio State, Florida State, Illinois, Tennessee and Michigan as his favorites. West Virginia, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and LSU were among the teams cut from the list. Oku also said Oklahoma State remains in the running.

Oh well. Would've loved to have him but Stoops didn't want to play any games it seems.

soonerfan28
4/11/2008, 02:03 PM
Glad to see Gladd coming to OU. Who cares about Oku he'd be riding the bench anyway. He's a good talent but everybody knows we can compete nationally for players and who can blame him for going elsewhere. When he looks at our depth chart and sees Calhoun, Murray, Johnson, Madu and Brown (in no specific order) then why would you come to OU.

Civicus_Sooner
4/11/2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah, if we didn't have three of the best RB's in the country already in the line up, I'd be a little concerned. He should go somewhere that he can beat out the third best back on the roster.

soonerfan28
4/13/2008, 11:08 AM
He would be a good back at Michigan. In that spread option.