PDA

View Full Version : Scientists claim uniform color confers an edge

Jacie
3/12/2008, 08:01 PM
You're going to love this . . .

Wearing red makes you more likely to score
By Nic Fleming, Science Correspondent
Last Updated: 4:01pm GMT 11/03/2008

Football fans might assume the footballing dominance of Manchester United and Arsenal is down to factors such as Alex Ferguson's tactical nous and Cesc Fabregas's midfield mastery.

However new research suggests the historical success of teams who play in red is not simply a matter of the talents of their managers and players.

Analysis of English league results since the Second World War shows that teams whose strips are predominantly red win more often, get more points per game and finish higher in the league on average compared with those who wear other colours.

Scientists believe the colour can confer an advantage in competitive sports because opponents subconsciously associate it with aggression and dominance, and as a result act in a more defensive manner when confronted with it.

Lead author Prof Martin Attrill, of the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Plymouth, said: "Previous evidence from studies on combat sports and psychological tests suggest that competitors wearing red perform better than average.

"It is believed the colour can stimulate deep-rooted aggressive and dominance in competitive situations. Similarly research shows players who encounter opponents in red display more defensive reactions."

The researchers, whose work is due to be published later this year in the Journal of Sports Sciences, calculated the percentage of home wins and average points per game for 68 top clubs playing primarily in red, blue, white or yellow/orange between 1947 and 2003.

Teams with mixed strips or those of other colours were placed in a fifth "other" category.

Teams with red strips were found to have won the league 60 per cent of the time, compared with 20 per cent for those in blue, despite more wearing blue.

They gained an average of 1.84 points per home game, compared with around 1.79 for blue and white teams and 1.75 for those playing in orange or yellow.

All results were standardised to three points for a win, a change introduced in 1981.

Teams with red, blue, white and yellow/orange strips won at home during the period 53 per cent, 51 per cent, 51 per cent and 50 per cent of the time respectively.

Over the 56 seasons studied, they ranked on average 25th (red), 34th (blue), 35th (white) and 50th (yellow/orange) out of the 68 teams looked at.

However researchers found teams whose home strip is red performed no better than teams who play in other colours in away games - in their non-red away strips.

The researchers also analysed the performance of eight pairs of teams from cities and areas in which one played in red and the other had a home strip of another colour.

In the cases of Liverpool and Everton, Manchester United and Manchester City, Nottingham Forest and Notts County, Bristol City and Rovers, Stoke and Port Vale, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, and Millwall and Charlton, the red team came out on top over the study period.

Sheffield United was the only team with a red home kit who did worse than their non-red rivals – in their case Sheffield Wednesday.

Research published in 2005 showed that Olympic boxing, wrestling and taekwondo contestants performed significantly better on average than those in blue.

Studies involving a wide variety of animal species have shown red is a sexually-selected signal of male dominance.

Co-author Dr Russell Hill, from Durham University, said: "The influx of wealthy foreign owners has changed the resources available to some teams and this should result in increased success, regardless of their shirt colour.

"Nevertheless, in close matches where teams are evenly balanced, we still predict that wearing red could tip the balance between success and failure and the red advantage will still persist."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2008/03/11/scicolour111.xml

adoniijahsooner
3/12/2008, 08:06 PM
This is crap! the boston celtics, the new york yankees, and the steelers have the most championships in there sport, and none wear red.

yermom
3/12/2008, 08:31 PM
this does explain our issues on the road though...

Sooner74
3/12/2008, 08:36 PM
This is a farse argument that has almost no clue of being true. For this to be true they would have to switch colors of teams and have them match up multiple times in multiple weeks. The only thing it is proving is that "RED" teams have been better historically, but that isn't based on a color, the assumption is based because those teams were better anyway.

goingoneight
3/12/2008, 09:00 PM
I thought this was posted in good humor... you're all taking it too seriously.

snp
3/12/2008, 09:30 PM
Hayden Fry would agree

And Fry had the visitors’ locker room painted pink. Fry, a psychology major at Baylor, knew that pink is occasionally used in jails and mental institutions to relax and pacify the residents, and Fry claimed that it might have the same effect on the visiting team. Principally, though, Fry hoped that the unusual color would distract and fluster the opposing players and coaches.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2008, 09:39 PM
This is crap! the boston celtics, the new york yankees, and the steelers have the most championships in there sport, and none wear red.

The 49ers and Les Habitants would like to have a word with you.

illinisooner
3/12/2008, 09:41 PM
It also helps that Arsenal, Man U, and Liverpool are 3 of the most successful clubs in the Premiership.

crawfish
3/12/2008, 09:42 PM
Did science prove that orange makes you suck?

I don't need 'em to tell me, though.

Tailgate
3/12/2008, 11:15 PM
There is red in orange.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2008, 11:17 PM
There is red in orange.

But you have to mix in a whole lot of yellow to get there.

Youngsooner
3/12/2008, 11:24 PM
this does explain our issues on the road though...

Maybe our only away games should be at LSU

goingoneight
3/12/2008, 11:32 PM
Nobody ever said you couldn't win with orange... you just suck overall.

silverwheels
3/12/2008, 11:36 PM
Add the Montreal Canadiens to that list. They have the most number of Stanley Cups and have almost twice as many as the team behind them.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2008, 11:41 PM
The 49ers and Les Habitants would like to have a word with you.

Add the Montreal Canadiens to that list. They have the most number of Stanley Cups and have almost twice as many as the team behind them.

Yeah, if only someone would mention the Montreal Canadiens. :D

silverwheels
3/12/2008, 11:44 PM
Hey, at least I saw the "49ers" part of your post. :P

Readyfor8
3/12/2008, 11:47 PM
it says you will score more often than if you weren't wearing red, not that you will score more than the opposing team.

In Futball or Soccer, it might make a difference, you aren't assigned to play defense, and being offensive minded means you spend more time on the other end of the field. In Football though you are assigned Defense so that would mean defenses would play better against us right?

FroggyStyle22
3/13/2008, 01:25 AM
You're going to love this . . .

Wearing red makes you more likely to score

In other news SicEm just bought a new wardrobe.

Funky G
3/13/2008, 11:23 AM
LSU is red on the inside..

Funky G
3/13/2008, 11:25 AM
However, of the top programs in college history here are those with shades of red in their uni's:

Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, Nebraska, USC, Harvard.

Could just be red is popular too. I think a study should be commissioned to see if shades of orange is linked to in-breeding, being an *******, or just all-around idiocy?

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 02:43 PM
http://www.siamgolftour.com/images/odds_n2.jpg

RedstickSooner
3/13/2008, 02:44 PM
I could've sworn I read about this years ago, once again in a British study. But like others have pointed out, you simply cannot draw any legit conclusions from associative studies like this. The only valid studies are ones where you control for variables -- and there's no control here. As 74 pointed out, for there to be even a SMIDGEON of validity, you would have to change colors on these teams and have them play in a controlled setting, for many, many matches, under those switched conditions.

As it stands, simply finding an associative link between uniform color and winning percentage is nearly meaningless. I have no clue how people are allowed to do "research" of such a shoddy nature.

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2008, 02:55 PM
If we take the study across only one league of one sport with limited player mobility (as the study's author did) then you're absolutely right-such a study is rather meaningless.

You could probably do a better study by crossing results with multiple leagues with unlimited free agency. You'd still have some flaws, but such a study would at least be a bit more valid. You're never going to have a social experiment of this nature with perfect controls.

RedstickSooner
3/13/2008, 03:14 PM
If we take the study across only one league of one sport with limited player mobility (as the study's author did) then you're absolutely right-such a study is rather meaningless.

You could probably do a better study by crossing results with multiple leagues with unlimited free agency. You'd still have some flaws, but such a study would at least be a bit more valid. You're never going to have a social experiment of this nature with perfect controls.

Along with free agency, you'd have to have a very rigid salary cap -- one without all the smoke & mirrors of, say, the NFL's cap system.

I suppose, if you studied the effect across enough sports, in enough regions, you might gain *some* validity... But, man, there's just so damned much which could skew each result. Like the Yankees being historically so well supported -- just putting baseball into the study instantly hurts the red effect, I would imagine.

Also, how do you justify any particular set of explanative results? Sure, maybe red puts the other team on the "defensive". Or, maybe it just attracts more fans, which in turn leads to a stronger home field advantage, and a larger on-the-road friendly fan contingent.

While it's fun to speculate, I think there comes a time when you have to just admit -- we have no idea if this particular variable matters. Particularly since there are certain things that *can't* be empirically tested.

And, yeah -- I probably *am* missing the point. This kind of thing is more for fun than anything else. Guess I can't help bitchin' about lousy methodology ;)

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2008, 04:05 PM
Yep. I'm wondering how the study author hit upon the explanation of "It puts people on the defensive." I mean, it'd be just as easy to say "Red is a popular color, and teams that got first selection of colors typically incorporated a lot of red, whicle expansion teams tried to pick unique colors and didn't get red. Expansion teams historically underperform charter teams."

oudivesherpa
3/13/2008, 04:08 PM
I've heard that in Stoolwater they are thinking of changing their team colors to fuchsia with a touch of mauve. It helps them get in touch with thier feelings when the lose.

oudivesherpa
3/13/2008, 04:08 PM
I've heard that in Stoolwater they are thinking of changing their team colors to fuchsia with a touch of mauve. It makes them get in touch with thier feelings when the lose.

RedstickSooner
3/13/2008, 07:01 PM
Yep. I'm wondering how the study author hit upon the explanation of "It puts people on the defensive." I mean, it'd be just as easy to say "Red is a popular color, and teams that got first selection of colors typically incorporated a lot of red, whicle expansion teams tried to pick unique colors and didn't get red. Expansion teams historically underperform charter teams."

Exactly! Heck, it almost makes you wonder if the guy did the study with his conclusions already in mind :D

Vaevictis
3/13/2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, if only someone would mention the Montreal Canadiens. :D

Nobody did. :confused:

:D

KantoSooner
3/13/2008, 08:40 PM
Red is a bad *** color according to this 'scientific' survey.
Crimson is the baddest form of 'Red'.
OU wears Crimson.

Therefore, to backcheck our logic, we need ask: "Is OU a bad *** team?"

It would appear that a prima facie case has been made in support of the survey's conclusion.