PDA

View Full Version : Since VK's OSCN thread got locked, I have a question...

TheHumanAlphabet
3/11/2008, 10:02 PM
So why are they restricting information? Too many politicians getting found out? Too good a thing for the small guy? Or do they want to charge? Anybody buy the protecting privacy arguement? JUst wondering?

I hope I don't get baned, and certainly not calling anyone out.

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 10:07 PM
www.oscn.net (http://www.oscn.net) public record...

Sooner24
3/11/2008, 11:14 PM
So why are they restricting information? Too many politicians getting found out? Too good a thing for the small guy? Or do they want to charge? Anybody buy the protecting privacy arguement? JUst wondering?

I hope I don't get baned, and certainly not calling anyone out.

I'm like you. I read the other thread and have no idea why it was locked or what is going on. :confused:

proud gonzo
3/11/2008, 11:17 PM
yeah, comments were deleted in the other one.

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 11:18 PM
I do not think it is locked to attorneys...

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 11:20 PM
Don't worry about it. The subject matter of the thread had nothing to do with the lock. It was locked because someone made a totally unrelated personal attack on another poster in it, followed up by a namecalling meltdown when they were warned to stop doing it.

I locked the thread to keep it from becoming a referendum on board policy. Keep this thread on the track of talking about the OSCN, and you've got nothing to worry about.

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 11:23 PM
totally confused but don't care...

bri
3/11/2008, 11:29 PM
Well, you did care enough to make your fingers push down keys to cause corresponding letters to appear on screen to convey just how much you don't care, so I'd dispute your claims of total not-caring-ness.

But, you know, that's neither here nor there.

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 11:32 PM
Well, you did care enough to make your fingers push down keys to cause corresponding letters to appear on screen to convey just how much you don't care, so I'd dispute your claims of total not-caring-ness.

But, you know, that's neither here nor there.

I can acces OSCN.net without a problem...now, what is your problem...

Sooner_Havok
3/11/2008, 11:33 PM
I can acces OSCN.net without a problem...now, what is your problem...

everyone can

until June

GottaHavePride
3/11/2008, 11:34 PM
The original post about OSCN said it will remain up, but the types of information you can access through that site will be more limited in the near future.

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 11:35 PM
sorry for you guys...

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 11:36 PM
I'd be very surprised if public records were restricted..

Okla-homey
Look, unless I'm reading this wrong:

Restricting Website Access To Court Records

The Clerk of the Oklahoma Supreme Court, each district court clerk, and the Project Manager of the Oklahoma Court Information System are directed to immediately limit internet public access to court dockets only. The individual pleadings and other recorded documents filed of record in state court actions shall not be publicly displayed on the internet. Court documents may be viewed at the courthouse unless otherwise prohibited by law. This policy may be reviewed by this Court in the future

...you'll still be able to find out if a potential employee or tenant has been in trouble by doing a docket search under that guy's name. You just won't be able to access the court documents. Therefore, if you decide to check out Joe Blow and you see a bunch of cases styled State of Oklahoma v. Blow, Joseph, you might want to click on them and see what crime he was charged with and whether or not he was convicted. Bottomline: no big change for most people's purposes.

Methinks what they're limiting is innerwebs access to the various pleadings filed in cases that can contain potentially embarrasing stuff. You know, like if Wilbur Weenie sued someone who stole his milk money. Anyone would be able to click on that document and read what a whiney baby Wilbur Weenie really is. Or if Wanda Doublewide filed on Darryl Doublewide for deevorce. If access were'nt limited, anyone could clicky on Wanda's divorce petition and see that Wanda was accusing Darryl of staying out all night, coming in drunk and puking on the black velvet Elvis painting and what not. Seems fair to me to limit innerweb access to that sort of thing.

bri
....i'm a lawyer....so impressive.....i can access legal things and stuff.....wowie....better than you.....blurp......

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 11:39 PM

...you'll still be able to find out if a potential employee or tenant has been in trouble by doing a docket search under that guy's name. You just won't be able to access the court documents. Therefore, if you decide to check out Joe Blow and you see a bunch of cases styled State of Oklahoma v. Blow, Joseph, you might want to click on them and see what crime he was charged with and whether or not he was convicted. Bottomline: no big change for most people's purposes.

My understanding is attorneys, at a minimum , will still be able to access all aspects of OSCN..

bri
3/11/2008, 11:41 PM
Holy wowee super geez, you mean that people who need access to legal information for their jobs will still be able to get to it? Super awesome!

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 11:46 PM
Holy wowee super geez, you mean that people who need access to legal information for their jobs will still be able to get to it? Super awesome!

Yes, similar to you being familiar to trash pick up times in any area;and city...

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 11:47 PM
Deer lord.

:les: BACK TO THE OSCN TOPIC PPL!!!

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 11:48 PM
Apparently, OSCN threads are cursed. Who knew?

Sooner_Havok
3/11/2008, 11:49 PM
Deer lord.

:les: BACK TO THE OSCN TOPIC PPL!!!

Make us! :P

<Ducks head>

Okla-homey
3/11/2008, 11:52 PM
My understanding is attorneys, at a minimum , will still be able to access all aspects of OSCN..

Well it ain't exactly comprehensive now anyway. We often have to send someone (sometimes me) to various courthouses throughout the state to copy filings in old cases. If this thing was all whizbang, we could just clicky-clicky.

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 11:53 PM
Well it ain't exactly comprehensive now anyway. We have to send someone to various courthouses throughout the state to copy filings in old cases. If this thing was all whizbang, we could just clicky-clicky.

We can click in most any county now, at least the population centers...agreed..

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 11:54 PM
http://www.dropshipwholesale.net/images/man-pulling-hair-out-2.jpg

bri
3/11/2008, 11:55 PM
Well it ain't exactly comprehensive now anyway. We often have to send someone (sometimes me) to various courthouses throughout the state to copy filings in old cases. If this thing was all whizbang, we could just clicky-clicky.

A nice first step would be having one system for the entire state. Having to remember which county is in which database was always a pain. :D

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 11:58 PM
A nice first step would be having one system for the entire state. Having to remember which county is in which database was always a pain. :D

There you go but it is a great convenience from the old days when we had to send people out to the counties to determine what the status was...great advancement...

bri
3/12/2008, 12:08 AM
True, we are way ahead of other states that still don't have a similar system in place, or won't release the information electronically. And it's rare for us to be way ahead of anyone in anything that isn't teen pregnancy or meth lab busts. :D

GottaHavePride
3/12/2008, 12:09 AM
We're way ahead of Kansas in having a smoking ban in all public places. Stupid damn Kansas.

BigRedJed
3/12/2008, 12:10 AM
*blows cigar smoke in trombone boy's face*

BigRedJed
3/12/2008, 12:11 AM
*apologizes for blowing smoke and offers to switch seats*

BigRedJed
*orders another beer*

GottaHavePride
Heh.

Okla-homey
3/12/2008, 06:17 AM
True, we are way ahead of other states that still don't have a similar system in place, or won't release the information electronically. And it's rare for us to be way ahead of anyone in anything that isn't teen pregnancy or meth lab busts. :D

we're numba one in the number of tribal gaming facilities too!

StoopTroup
3/12/2008, 06:59 AM
What about turnpikes?

How many more till we're number one in that?

Hot Rod
3/12/2008, 07:08 AM
"WHAT IS GOING ON?!"

http://blog.dreamhost.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/expose-2.jpg

olevetonahill
3/12/2008, 09:38 AM
totally confused but don't care...

So whats New ? :P

frankensooner
3/12/2008, 09:41 AM
lots of filing also include the parties ssn#

olevetonahill
3/12/2008, 09:42 AM
Apparently, OSCN threads and threads that rus posts in, are cursed. Who knew?

You Didnt :D

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/12/2008, 10:20 AM
When I was in college, I worked at the Oklahoma County Court Clerk's office. When I was there, they implemented OSCN and slowly began to image documents to put them on the internet. I assure you a lot of it has to do with privacy. Some court documents have SSN and other very personal info on them and can easily be misused.

Channel 4 even did a story on it a few years ago with the marriage licenses. While it is still public record, you just have to work harder at getting it like the good old days when you actually had to go to the court house.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2008, 10:21 AM

Methinks what they're limiting is innerwebs access to the various pleadings filed in cases that can contain potentially embarrasing stuff. You know, like if Wilbur Weenie sued someone who stole his milk money. Anyone would be able to click on that document and read what a whiney baby Wilbur Weenie really is. Or if Wanda Doublewide filed on Darryl Doublewide for deevorce. If access were'nt limited, anyone could clicky on Wanda's divorce petition and see that Wanda was accusing Darryl of staying out all night, coming in drunk and puking on the black velvet Elvis painting and what not. Seems fair to me to limit innerweb access to that sort of thing.

Thanks for the update, the original thread seemed to imply the access would be limited. So it appears, that you will still be able to discern [fixed] style and possible charges, just not the pleadings, which tend to not necessarily mean anything other than the "theory" of why the plaintiff is pleading - tending to be exagerated. So would we still be able to tell is Joe So and So was convicted of drunk driving, etc?

soonerbrat
3/12/2008, 10:48 AM
i think you meant "discern"

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2008, 11:26 AM
i think you meant "discern"

yep...

fat fingers flying speedily...

Viking Kitten
3/12/2008, 11:43 AM
Part of the new policy does deal with redaction of personal info such as SSNs

In regard to online access to court records, this is exactly what the new policy says:

V.

Restricting Website Access To Court Records
The Clerk of the Oklahoma Supreme Court, each district court clerk, and the "Project Manager of the Oklahoma Court Information System are directed to immediately limit internet public access to court dockets only. The individual pleadings and other recorded documents filed of record in state court actions shall not be publicly displayed on the internet. Court documents may be viewed at the courthouse unless otherwise prohibited by law. This policy may be reviewed by this Court in the future."

I suspect whether this applies only to non-attorneys will be need some clarification, but for now this is the stated policy effective June 10.

Hamhock
3/12/2008, 12:53 PM
if you're an attorney, you can use OSCN today.

Viking Kitten
3/12/2008, 01:28 PM
If you're leprechaun with an STD and a third grade education you can use OSCN today.

JohnnyMack
3/12/2008, 01:29 PM
If you're leprechaun with an STD and a third grade education you can use OSCN today.

Pat is thrilled to hear it.

Viking Kitten
3/12/2008, 01:32 PM
:P

Okla-homey
3/12/2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the update, the original thread seemed to imply the access would be limited. So it appears, that you will still be able to discern [fixed] style and possible charges, just not the pleadings, which tend to not necessarily mean anything other than the "theory" of why the plaintiff is pleading - tending to be exagerated. So would we still be able to tell is Joe So and So was convicted of drunk driving, etc?

eggsackery