PDA

View Full Version : OU women's team...biggest disappointment since..

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 08:56 PM
what ??? The Alamo...

bri
3/11/2008, 08:57 PM
...spell check?...

KC//CRIMSON
3/11/2008, 08:59 PM
....you registered.

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 09:00 PM
...spell check?...

Much better to have a bri grammar and spelling patrol check...

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 09:01 PM
....you registered.

Two of my favorite stalkers... bri and KC...

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 09:07 PM
When did Rus become a celeb? An tool bag I understand, but a celebrity?

I'm calling shenanigans.

again, nice avatar, KC...

KC//CRIMSON
3/11/2008, 09:10 PM
again, nice avatar, KC...

Isn't it though? Glad you finally noticed it after six months.

Who said you weren't the sharpest crayon in the box? Lies!

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 09:15 PM
Isn't it though? Glad you finally noticed it after six months.

Who said you weren't the sharpest crayon in the box? Lies!

Nice avatar, M-1 mobile...I mean Global...

badger
3/11/2008, 10:33 PM
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6954/wtfcoaleiq4.jpg
It would have been more appropriate to have a "WNIT Here We Come" thread :(

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 10:34 PM
Sherri may be thinking about something other that b-ball...

wileyousooner
3/11/2008, 10:37 PM
how did this happen? i had such high hopes for the girls...at the beginning of the year. i guess every team is bound to have a down year now and then, but why now. There was supposed to be so much talent on the team. Plenty of 3-point shooters, a solid point guard, a winning coach. I just don't get it. Please help me understand as I am out here in California.

Big Red Ron
3/11/2008, 10:38 PM
We have a Freshman PG and a midget soph. 2 guard. Maybe our expectations were too high?

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 10:39 PM
how did this happen? i had such high hopes for the girls...at the beginning of the year. i guess every team is bound to have a down year now and then, but why now. There was supposed to be so much talent on the team. Plenty of 3-point shooters, a solid point guard, a winning coach. I just don't get it. Please help me understand as I am out here in California.

Hey, Courtney had 30 points and 20 rebounds...can't blame her...

Salt City Sooner
3/12/2008, 12:43 AM
We have a Freshman PG and a midget soph. 2 guard. Maybe our expectations were too high?
We have a WINNER. OU lost 6 seniors off last year's team. SIX. That's basically half a roster, & it's not like those girls were benchwarmers. They combined for 106 starts last year alone. To have a turnover like that & not miss a beat, well, let's just say is rare (I certainly can't think of any off the top of my head) to say the very least.

yermom
3/12/2008, 01:04 AM
they aren't out of the tourney though, are they?

Ruuuuuufus
3/12/2008, 01:08 AM
There was supposed to be so much talent on the team. Plenty of 3-point shooters, a solid point guard, a winning coach.

plenty? Jenna was our only returning player that made more than two 3-pointers last year (the five others graduated).

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/12/2008, 02:57 AM
You have to realize most people critical of the girls team...haven't ever really watched a girl's basketball game ;)

Boomer.....
3/12/2008, 07:44 AM
they aren't out of the tourney though, are they?

No, and what's sad, we will still get a good seed.

badger
3/12/2008, 08:18 AM
You have to realize most people critical of the girls team...haven't ever really watched a girl's basketball game ;)

I started watching women's basketball my freshman year at OU. The year was 2001 going on 2002. We went to the final four that year.

The following year we went to the tournament but were ousted early. The next year, more of the same.

HOWEVER, in 2004, wow, that was when we defied all odds and went bam bam bam in the Big 12 tournament and I was there once again to witness it. We were a sixth seed and easily won game one. The next game was the infamous Chewbacca game, where a mammoth girl cried from our taunts and constant beeping... so, we beat Colorado. The next game was Kansas State, another Big 12 power. We win! Last game, another OU-Texas. Texas was so god awful, it was marvelous. We were up by 25 at one point, but settled for about 20 point win, if I recall correctly. For the first time ever, a Big 12 team played four straight tournament games and won it all.

Alas, we have yet to recapture those magic seasons of my time there. Perhaps Coale is relying too much on star recruits and not the fire and drive she had to prove that she could win anything with lesser talent and a lesser program that nearly got scrapped before she arrived?

Boomer.....
3/12/2008, 08:34 AM
I started watching women's basketball my freshman year at OU. The year was 2001 going on 2002. We went to the final four that year.

The following year we went to the tournament but were ousted early. The next year, more of the same.

HOWEVER, in 2004, wow, that was when we defied all odds and went bam bam bam in the Big 12 tournament and I was there once again to witness it. We were a sixth seed and easily won game one. The next game was the infamous Chewbacca game, where a mammoth girl cried from our taunts and constant beeping... so, we beat Colorado. The next game was Kansas State, another Big 12 power. We win! Last game, another OU-Texas. Texas was so god awful, it was marvelous. We were up by 25 at one point, but settled for about 20 point win, if I recall correctly. For the first time ever, a Big 12 team played four straight tournament games and won it all.

Alas, we have yet to recapture those magic seasons of my time there. Perhaps Coale is relying too much on star recruits and not the fire and drive she had to prove that she could win anything with lesser talent and a lesser program that nearly got scrapped before she arrived?

Sounds familiar.

jccouger
3/12/2008, 12:59 PM
Why do so many more people show up for the womens games when the mens team is just as good?

And no offense, but mens basketball is just more entertaining then womens basketball...

NormanPride
3/12/2008, 01:08 PM
Because the tickets are cheaper, probably. And Sherri is hawt. ;)

BermudaSooner
3/12/2008, 01:19 PM
I thought this was going to be another Fiesta Bowl thread...

Civicus_Sooner
3/12/2008, 01:44 PM
Why do so many more people show up for the womens games when the mens team is just as good?

And no offense, but mens basketball is just more entertaining then womens basketball...Students get in for free at wimmins games, not mens games.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/12/2008, 03:12 PM
I would say men's attendance is more indicitive of our fan base and not the quality of entertainment.

badger
3/12/2008, 03:37 PM
Why women's attendance rox:

1- Season ticket holders are return buyers from when season tix were readily available.
2- Student fans came to see the almighty Paris twins in person to see how good they were... and kept returning.
3- A loyal student base along with returning season ticket holders = full LNC.

Why men's games are not well attended:
1- Your season ticket holders only buy tickets as a mandatory donation to the athletic department to buy better football tickets.
2- Your season tickets are expensive.
3- Those who cannot buy season tickets buy single game tickets... and are then stuck in the upper nosebleed area.
4- The lower area of the stadium thus is empty because the season ticket holders don't care and the ones that do care are camped up high.

goingoneight
3/13/2008, 12:15 AM
At it again... these people should be ashamed of themselves. (http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=50393)

thedeanisin
3/14/2008, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't compare them to the Alamo considering that 183 men held off 5,000 Mexican soldiers for 12 days. I would compare them to OU's loss in the Fiesta Bowl this year, however.

These girls play like there is no harmony within the team. Is there a little dessention in the locker room? The ladies in the past responded pretty well to Coach Coale but, they don't seem to respond to her very well at all this year.

Plus, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when the Paris's and Olajuwon are on the court at the same time, they can be beat up and down the floor easily. The ladies have to have more scoring support from outside the lane.

The ladies play hard but, there seems to be something missing from their game..... Any thoughts?

outuba
3/14/2008, 09:01 AM
It seems as though it is one thing or another in each of our last 3 games. We haven't really had a game where bad passing and bad shooting and tons of turnovers are combining to kill us. It is usually a combination of the 3. Against Texas (@ LNC) it was terrible passing and turnovers, but the shooting wasn't terrible. At A&M it was really shooting that hurt and team speed (getting up and down the floor). This recent game against Missouri was shooting. In the Big 12 tournament, we passed a lot better than we recently had and we only had 12 turnovers.

It is just trying to get all 3 to sync in one game that is the trouble.

I believe in our Sooners and I feel a good run coming along!

Curly Bill
3/14/2008, 09:05 AM
In tournament play your guards have to play well...

...so I do not see a good run coming.

thedeanisin
3/14/2008, 09:10 AM
I am wishing them luck. I know they can play better and believe that they will.

Yes, the losses have either resulted from poor shooting or turnovers. The games I get to see, it is usually the turnovers. Was it at A & M or Baylor where the ladies had 18 turnovers by halftime? When the came out in the second half, it continued that way.

I really think that our team speed wouldn't hurt us as bad if we took better care of the basketball. It is hard to score with out it.

outuba
3/14/2008, 09:11 AM
Why not support the Sooners and show that their fans are here for them rather than saying 'you will probably continue playing like you have'?

They will have had almost 2 weeks off since the Big 12 game, I think they can turn things around.

Curly Bill
3/14/2008, 09:17 AM
Bad guards do not "turn things around" in two weeks. They are what they are: young, turnover prone because we're terrible passers, and really bad shooters. It is what it is.

...but if they do well: great, I'm all for 'em.

thedeanisin
3/14/2008, 09:31 AM
The guard play has been weak but, they have had some good games. If they can just string some good games together, they could have a fairly successful run in the tournament. The guards on the men's team are terrible as well but, they have managed to pull it together lately to give the guys a boost. It isn't impossible or improbable for the women to do the same.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/14/2008, 09:46 AM
9 of their players are sophmores or younger...They are inconsistent and streaky...color me suprised :P

stoopified
3/14/2008, 10:18 AM
While I am not at all happy with the way this season is ending,I can't help wondering if Sherri has spoiled us?After all we did lose an waful lot of talent and experience from last years team.Ball handlers and shooters that we took for granted are now sorely missed.I can't help thinking IF this is now a Coale version of a down year we are in good shape for the future.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/14/2008, 10:20 AM
I agree, I think you get a summer of her getting to work with these new girls and I believe she will help shore up a whole lot of our current problems

OUmillenium
3/14/2008, 11:27 AM
biggest disappointment since the 2007 Fiesta Bowl...no wait the 2008 Fiesta Bowl...and the...nevermind

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/14/2008, 11:39 AM
biggest disappointment since the 2007 Fiesta Bowl...no wait the 2008 Fiesta Bowl...and the...nevermindFWIW, IMO, the SHOCK started with the '02 feetball game against aggy.

princetonsooner
3/14/2008, 06:06 PM
Besides poor guard play I'm not sure if its a good idea to have both the Parris sisters play extensive minutes together. They are too similar and clog up the middle making it difficult to drive and also almost impossible to play man. I think it's worth thinking about.

Curly Bill
3/14/2008, 10:33 PM
Besides poor guard play I'm not sure if its a good idea to have both the Parris sisters play extensive minutes together. They are too similar and clog up the middle making it difficult to drive and also almost impossible to play man. I think it's worth thinking about.

They often work well together, but you bring up some good points.