PDA

View Full Version : Peeking Ahead To Next Year

stoopified
3/11/2008, 07:06 PM
I say put your sunglasseson,because the future is Bright.We will have more players(13),more talent,skilled dpth then we have had the last several years.

IN THE POST:
Orlando Allen 6'11 junior
Blake Griffin 6'10 soph
Billy Cannon 6'8 junior
Ryan Wright 6'8 junior

SWINGMEN:
Keith Clark 6'8 junior
Taylor Griffin 6'7 senior

SHOOTING GUARD/ WING:
Tony Crocker 6'6 junior
Cade Davis 6'5 soph
Tony Neysmith 6'5 soph
Ray Willis 6'5 frosh
Willie Warren 6'5 frosh

POINT GUARD:
Austin Johnson 6'3 senior
Omar Leary 5'10 Senior

Thirteen players makes for an weildy rotation so for this reason and others I think you will see some redshirts.I see three palyers as possible redshirts:
Orlando Allen battles weight issues and could use a season to adjust to D-1. Going against Blake in practice for a year would help his game enormously.This would Lessen the crowding in the post and lessen the sise of Our senior class in 2 years.There will be (5) juniors on this team.

Tony Neismith is a goodlooking athlete but at this point appears to need MAJOR work on his offense.A year spent working on his game without having to play could be beneficial.I think Capel could do wonders with him.

Keith Clark struggled to qualify to play at OU and then had academic issues when he did get here.A year spent solidifying his academics and working on his game would help him and OU.I don't know that Capel will redshirt anyone but doing so would make the rotation easier to figure and allow more teaching fo those three players who need it.Lack of playing time is also a maor reason for redshirting 2-3 players.

With Warren on hand OU is guaranteed to have a second GO-TO guy.While WW is not a point guard he can create shots for himself and his teamates in much the same way that Nolan Johnson and Terell Everett did in the past.From what I saw(and what the EXPERTS say)WW looks most at home in uptempo action,couple that with athletic wing players and I think we will be able to run more.

At the post position we will be loaded,maybe even overloaded with Blake,Cannon,Wright,Allen as well as Taylor,Clark being able to swing between the THREE and FOUR spots.I don't see fouls or injury problems forcing us to play small ball.This assumes of course that everyone is eligible to play (including Clark).Academic issues or injuries could change any redshirt plans.

Point guard is still apparently left in the hands of AJ and Leary but with the experienced gained this year I expect they will be better next in addition I suspect that Warren (a combo guard) will see at least some time at point.As I said earlier while not a point guard,he DOES create for himself and his teamates.

With the performance of this years team,it raises the bar for next season.I think we have a chance to compete for the Big 12 title and I will be shocked if we don't.Well that is my take on what we have to look forward to next year.

tommieharris91
3/11/2008, 07:17 PM
Don't count on Keith Clark and it's a coin flip if Blake Griffin comes back. If Blake comes back, well, lets just say that expectations will be high...

jccouger
3/11/2008, 08:35 PM
Keith Clark has a chance to come back?

jccouger
3/11/2008, 08:37 PM
Oh, and I see the starters looking like this

Austin Johnson-PG
Willie Warren - SG
Tony Crocker - SF
Ryan Wright - PF
Blake Griffin - C

Rhino
3/11/2008, 08:46 PM
Keith Clark has a chance to come back? Yep. He's gotta get all his academics in order at Rose State, but it can be done.

Capel has definitely left the door open for him.

jccouger
3/11/2008, 09:51 PM
Thats good news. I hope he pulls through.

If he does then I think we could be final 4 good next year..

Hell, even without him I think we could get there.

Big Red Ron
3/11/2008, 10:51 PM
Oh, and I see the starters looking like this

Austin Johnson-PG
Willie Warren - SG
Tony Crocker - SF
Ryan Wright - PF
Blake Griffin - CI think Taylor will start at PF

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/11/2008, 10:54 PM
I say put your sunglasseson,because the future is Bright.We will have more players(13),more talent,skilled dpth then we have had the last several years.

IN THE POST:
Orlando Allen 6'11 junior
Blake Griffin 6'10 soph
Billy Cannon 6'8 junior
Ryan Wright 6'8 junior

SWINGMEN:
Keith Clark 6'8 junior
Taylor Griffin 6'7 senior

SHOOTING GUARD/ WING:
Tony Crocker 6'6 junior
Cade Davis 6'5 soph
Tony Neysmith 6'5 soph
Ray Willis 6'5 frosh
Willie Warren 6'5 frosh

POINT GUARD:
Austin Johnson 6'3 senior
Omar Leary 5'10 Senior

Thirteen players makes for an weildy rotation so for this reason and others I think you will see some redshirts.I see three palyers as possible redshirts:
Orlando Allen battles weight issues and could use a season to adjust to D-1. Going against Blake in practice for a year would help his game enormously.This would Lessen the crowding in the post and lessen the sise of Our senior class in 2 years.There will be (5) juniors on this team.

Tony Neismith is a goodlooking athlete but at this point appears to need MAJOR work on his offense.A year spent working on his game without having to play could be beneficial.I think Capel could do wonders with him.

Keith Clark struggled to qualify to play at OU and then had academic issues when he did get here.A year spent solidifying his academics and working on his game would help him and OU.I don't know that Capel will redshirt anyone but doing so would make the rotation easier to figure and allow more teaching fo those three players who need it.Lack of playing time is also a maor reason for redshirting 2-3 players.

With Warren on hand OU is guaranteed to have a second GO-TO guy.While WW is not a point guard he can create shots for himself and his teamates in much the same way that Nolan Johnson and Terell Everett did in the past.From what I saw(and what the EXPERTS say)WW looks most at home in uptempo action,couple that with athletic wing players and I think we will be able to run more.

At the post position we will be loaded,maybe even overloaded with Blake,Cannon,Wright,Allen as well as Taylor,Clark being able to swing between the THREE and FOUR spots.I don't see fouls or injury problems forcing us to play small ball.This assumes of course that everyone is eligible to play (including Clark).Academic issues or injuries could change any redshirt plans.

Point guard is still apparently left in the hands of AJ and Leary but with the experienced gained this year I expect they will be better next in addition I suspect that Warren (a combo guard) will see at least some time at point.As I said earlier while not a point guard,he DOES create for himself and his teamates.

With the performance of this years team,it raises the bar for next season.I think we have a chance to compete for the Big 12 title and I will be shocked if we don't.Well that is my take on what we have to look forward to next year.

It would nice if Clark could get things together but I'm not holding my breath. My guess would be Orlando Allen redshirts. There are probably not enough minutes for a 5th big man barring serious injury. Allen would be basically getting the minutes that Beau Gerber gets...not much.

I'd like to see Neysmith redshirt. Again with the other players in the 1-3 spots I don't see that many minutes. In fact Leary probably will see less minutes as well.

Even under some of the Sampson teams that won a lot of games we never had as much depth as we will appear to have next year.

Rhino
3/12/2008, 12:35 AM
My guess would be Orlando Allen redshirts. There are probably not enough minutes for a 5th big man barring serious injury. Allen would be basically getting the minutes that Beau Gerber gets...not much. Allen is redshirting this year at JUCO.

tommieharris91
3/12/2008, 01:31 AM
So Allen is coming in as a soph, right?

Rhino
3/12/2008, 01:34 AM
Yep. 3 to play 3.

Cannon's redshirting as well. Same thing - 3 to play 3.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/12/2008, 01:55 AM
Rhino you get spek, just for the avatar!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/12/2008, 09:42 AM
Allen is redshirting this year at JUCO.

Redshirt him again! :D

Well if he has 3 years then it is just as well. I could be wrong but I would think of the 5 bigs on the team (6 if you count Gerber) that he is probably the 5th man. After next year when the presumably both Griffins will be gone he will get minutes but I don't see him getting much playing time. (I'm assuming of course that Wright and Cannon perform like I think they will)

It will be nice for a change to have players like Neysmith, Leary and Allen have a hard time getting enough minutes instead of worrying about having 8 healthy bodies for a practice or playing with a walk-on as a 3rd post player (no offense to Gerber who had done a pretty good job). Usually the only team in this part of the country with depth like that is KU.

soonervegas
3/12/2008, 03:54 PM
Next year does look like it has a chance to do the most damage since 2003....especially if Blake comes back. I do agree that he went from 100% to 50/50 real quick.

stoopified
3/14/2008, 09:46 AM
Allen is redshirting this year at JUCO.Thanks for the info Rhino.I was wondering why he was not listed stat-wise at Paris.I still think someone in the frontcourt will need to be redshirted to avoid a logjam.Since Wright sat out last year that would leave Cannon as the most likely.In any case I'm sure Jeff will sort it out,he is THE MAN.

BTW Rhino do you have any info on Cannon,Willis on their past season?We all know what a stud WW is ,just curious about the others.Anyone see Wright in practice and have a feel for how good he can be?

One last thought,if Clark can't make his grades,is Capel going to sign anyone this spring?Top-notch true point guard would be nice.

Rhino
3/14/2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info Rhino.I was wondering why he was not listed stat-wise at Paris.I still think someone in the frontcourt will need to be redshirted to avoid a logjam.Since Wright sat out last year that would leave Cannon as the most likely.In any case I'm sure Jeff will sort it out,he is THE MAN.

BTW Rhino do you have any info on Cannon,Willis on their past season?We all know what a stud WW is ,just curious about the others.Anyone see Wright in practice and have a feel for how good he can be?

One last thought,if Clark can't make his grades,is Capel going to sign anyone this spring?Top-notch true point guard would be nice. Cannon also redshirted this year. 3 to play 3.

Willis averaged around 26ppg, 5 rpg and 4 apg a game. Their team lost in the Georgia state semifinals. Everything I've heard is that he's a very good shooter.

I think the general consensus on Clark and the extra scholly is that it's Clark's for the taking, unless Capel can find a PG that will for sure start / heavily contribute immediately.

stoopified
3/14/2008, 10:11 AM
Thaks Rhino

OUmillenium
3/14/2008, 10:26 AM
great info, thanks

Glad that Clark has a chance to come back. Loved his dunk against West Virginia.

Can't wait to see some guards who can shoot off the dribble.

starrca23
3/14/2008, 11:13 AM
Don't be surprised if Cade Davis gets some run with Willie Warren. I wouldn't be surprised if those two get the bulk of the minutes at the guard spots especially if Willie is able to create open shots for Cade.