PDA

View Full Version : No huddle For 08!

adoniijahsooner
3/11/2008, 10:54 AM
I came across this article today. i am excited that coach stoops is allowing changes to be made on the offensive and defensive teams this year, i guess he has finally figured out that 8 years of the same ole stuff, against the same teams will eventually be unproductive.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080311_2_B1_hCoac12224

bri
3/11/2008, 11:05 AM
Once again, Josh Heupel shows how much of a football genius he is by comparing the no-huddle to Billy Ball. I love how through and through that guy has become a Sooner. :D

primetime43
3/11/2008, 11:06 AM
It would have been nice to break this out in the bowl games the last few years.

bri
3/11/2008, 11:11 AM
I hope this is something we actually do and not just the usual spring practice "no, really, we're trying something new" that gives way to more of the same. 'Cause if we start going no-huddle, the 2009 game with Tulsa just became that much more entertaining. :D

OUmillenium
3/11/2008, 11:33 AM
Good luck on us changing anything away from the Ohio State playbook.

Vanilla season, here we come...oh unless we are up by 30 at home, then out come the trick plays.

adoniijahsooner
3/11/2008, 11:39 AM
Good luck on us changing anything away from the Ohio State playbook.

Vanilla season, here we come...oh unless we are up by 30 at home, then out come the trick plays.

Have faith in stoops, I believe the bowl games have changed his heart.

fadada1
3/11/2008, 11:55 AM
can we go "no huddle" on defense in our bowl games???

The Maestro
3/11/2008, 11:59 AM
Heupel = greatest Sooner ever. How many Billy Ball games do you think he saw as a kid in South Dakota? Probably not one. But he "gets" what it means to be a Sooner and use that analogy.

I love the idea of Sam Bradford being the Peyton Manning of college football. Smart and talented enough to do it.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2008, 12:27 PM
If they do this, there may have to be a separate forum for "Fire Brent Venables" threads

toast
3/11/2008, 12:55 PM
I could see it being used from time to time during games to change the pace or throw a defense off. At the very least all of the practice should help our two minute drills.

NormanPride
3/11/2008, 01:31 PM
If they do this, there may have to be a separate forum for "Fire Brent Venables" threads

No kidding. This, to me, speaks of "Oh crap, our D is going to suck anyway. Let's score a ton."

Still, I have faith that the coordinators won't cripple our D just to be a little tricky on O.

bri
3/11/2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I liked that Wilson threw in some lip service to try and allay everyone's defensive fears. But yeah, this smacks of "We just realized who we're counting on defensively, oh noes". ;)

JLEW1818
3/11/2008, 01:43 PM
Maybe it will help us on 2pt conversions too.

All_Day_28
3/11/2008, 03:31 PM
Josh heupel>>>>>>>>>

TopDawg
3/11/2008, 03:46 PM
It would have been nice to break this out in the bowl games the last few years.

This year we're going to throw them for a loop by huddling in our bowl game.

oupride
3/11/2008, 04:05 PM
No kidding. This, to me, speaks of "Oh crap, our D is going to suck anyway. Let's score a ton."

Not necessarily, I have wondered why we didn't have a no huddle. I dismissed it last year as due to lack of QB experience. However, it will be cool to have it when/if we need it. Boomer!

CK Sooner
3/11/2008, 04:07 PM
Maybe it will help us on 2pt conversions too.

Yea, we didn't do very well with those last year.

goingoneight
3/11/2008, 10:44 PM
A no huddle doesn't mean we're going all back to Leach's Texas Tech offense, people. This team desperately needed to hurry the hell up in quite a few games in recent memory and couldn't do it. Texas 2006 right before halftime comes to mind along with Oregon 2006, Boise State Fiesta Bowl and WVU Fiesta Bowl. When you think about it... we were down by 20 in the 4th quarter of the WVU game. Granted, the defense was going to give the game away anyway that night, but we were killing priceless time with draw plays and running the base offense. There's a reason it's referred to as the "oh ****" drill.

OU-HSV
3/11/2008, 11:50 PM
I like this idea..hope they stick with it.
Thanks for posting that article.

goingoneight
3/11/2008, 11:58 PM
I gave the newspaper to my Dad today at work and told him I had a talk with Coach Stoops...

[inside joke=] We've watched Sooner football for as long as I can remember breathing. During the last three seasons we always talk about two things OU needs to get past the apparent "slump" they sometimes fall into. One is attitude, but the other is the one that drives him the most crazy is OUr tendency to waste precious time and not have an effective two-minute drill.[/inside joke]

He told me with my new HDTV I just bought that I should nominate myself as the replay official for the games, too. :D

Curly Bill
3/12/2008, 09:07 AM

If so can I be the modador of the Fire BV forum? :D

Desert Sapper
3/12/2008, 09:24 AM
We could have certainly used the no huddle at times last season. I just hope it doesn't wear our D out, since we won't be burning the clock as much.

Blitzkrieg
3/12/2008, 09:54 AM
Whats great about this college is that you get a future CPA covering a guy that is future NFL. It can create a mismatch is you are sly enough to use it at the right time.

Dan Thompson
3/12/2008, 01:33 PM
No huddle spread offense with a new defensive scheme.

I think I'll watch some of the games this year, should be interesting.

bprao5
3/12/2008, 01:48 PM
To the first person who posted, actually the same old stuff has worked against the same old team. Its not the Big 12 we have trouble with, its the rest of the country. I.E. Bowl Games
This is just experimental, dont expect the run and shoot from this team. they will still line up in the I-Formation and Run it down Peoples throats when they want.

r5TPsooner
3/12/2008, 02:53 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Stoops is more conservative then Glen Beck.

CK Sooner
3/12/2008, 03:10 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Stoops is more conservative then Glen Beck.

:rolleyes:

adoniijahsooner
3/12/2008, 05:56 PM
To the first person who posted, actually the same old stuff has worked against the same old team. Its not the Big 12 we have trouble with, its the rest of the country. I.E. Bowl Games
This is just experimental, dont expect the run and shoot from this team. they will still line up in the I-Formation and Run it down Peoples throats when they want.

True, thanks for the reminder, but what does that say about our conference when they can't stop us, but boise state and west virginia can make us look silly. I think with the recievers that we have we need some spice in our vanilla offense. Bubble screens and stretch plays are just too easy to defend.

cvsooner
3/12/2008, 06:42 PM
:rolleyes:

And better looking and a helluva lot smarter too.

RedstickSooner
3/12/2008, 07:54 PM
Y'know, the one edge we're supposed to have is in conditioning. I've bitched for years now that we aren't more up-tempo on offense to take advantage of that edge.

I'd love to believe that we really will get a no huddle. I'd also love to believe, if we got it, that it'd pick the pace up a bit on offense.

But I'm fence sitting 'til I see it in at least 3 or 4 regular season games. I've gotten my hopes up before.

MojoRisen
3/18/2008, 12:42 PM
Certainly having a QB in his second year who supposedly has major smarts is going to help a ton in Audibles and even running a no huddle. Stoops and company have been way overly conservative with the QB's because they feared they couldn't even handle the normal playbook. I say we get as dynamic as possible on offense counting on having our top 3 QBs for the next 5 years.

I know Nichol is a 4.0 GPA type as well.

I believe most teams that we have lost too over the last couple of years with exception to Colorado has jumped on us from the get go and got us out of our game plan.

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2008, 07:48 PM
Here is an idea. Let's try finding a defense that can stop gimmick type offenses like Boise State and West Virginia.

Yes, a no huddle would speed up our offense and would be a nice addition when needed. But what would be even better is if we can shut down opposing offenses every game.

OU's offense was not the main concern against West Virginia. That was our defense. The only thing our offense didn't do was speed it up late into the game. But who knows, if we had done that, WVU might have scored another 3 TDs on our Defense.

And this is not a knock on our season last year. I thought it was a wonderful season, outside of the Fiesta Bowl.

85sooners
3/18/2008, 09:11 PM
:pop:

soonerlaw
3/18/2008, 10:50 PM
What I was excited about was when we implemented the "wild sooner" formation with DM lining up at qb and getting the direct snap. Then we never saw it again. Stoops needs to mix it up some more like he did in his 1999 campaign.

snp
3/18/2008, 11:09 PM
What I was excited about was when we implemented the "wild sooner" formation with DM lining up at qb and getting the direct snap. Then we never saw it again. Stoops needs to mix it up some more like he did in his 1999 campaign.

They didn't need to use it against Baylor and they were down to much to be fooling around with that play vs Tech. Murray got hurt that game and that was the end of that. We'll probably see it a few times next year.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
3/18/2008, 11:49 PM
No Huddle offense = OL had better be in shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many running plays were run down by the backside DE or DB?

I cannot recall how many times I asked my friends/OU fans this very question.

If anyone has a doubt, go back and look at the video. It is truly obscene!!!!

Bring on the 'reds', I dare you. Make sure you look at the video first.

AzianSooner
3/18/2008, 11:56 PM
The whole idea of NO HUDDLE is using what LSU used against AuBurn.

It is all about how to play against the new Muchacha defensive coordiante man of Texas

leapin_lizard
3/20/2008, 01:15 AM
A no huddle doesn't mean we're going all back to Leach's Texas Tech offense, people. This team desperately needed to hurry the hell up in quite a few games in recent memory and couldn't do it. Texas 2006 right before halftime comes to mind along with Oregon 2006, Boise State Fiesta Bowl and WVU Fiesta Bowl. When you think about it... we were down by 20 in the 4th quarter of the WVU game. Granted, the defense was going to give the game away anyway that night, but we were killing priceless time with draw plays and running the base offense. There's a reason it's referred to as the "oh ****" drill.

I'll give you this argument for a better no huddle, less conservative, etc.......

However...No one should ever mention Oregon 2006 as a loss, or try and argue that we should have done something better or different. That game should be void and marked out of the record books. My doc sent me to anger management as a result of that game. :) j/k

Crucifax Autumn
3/23/2008, 12:11 AM
I'm still on 3 anti-anxiety meds from that one!

shaun4411
3/27/2008, 12:21 PM
i didnt even watch it, so my bitterness doesnt run as deep

goingoneight
3/27/2008, 11:30 PM
The Oregon game had nothing to do with who was winning or losing, we got zapped by the play clock several times and got away with it twice. NTM, the offense did, afterall have an oppurtunity to save us from what was, yes... a screw job. There was more than enough time to go five-wide and set up an easier FG after Reggie's kick return, but we ran the ball up the gut and just about ran the clock out. If not for PT paying attention to the clock, we'd have "lost" due to "running out of time," which is unacceptable per Stoops.

OU-HSV
3/29/2008, 09:16 AM
So do you all think the new "no huddle" offense will be seen today at the first scrimmage or is this something they'll hold off til late Summer to unveil?

OUmillenium
3/29/2008, 10:48 AM
The Oregon game had nothing to do with who was winning or losing, we got zapped by the play clock several times and got away with it twice. NTM, the offense did, afterall have an oppurtunity to save us from what was, yes... a screw job. There was more than enough time to go five-wide and set up an easier FG after Reggie's kick return, but we ran the ball up the gut and just about ran the clock out. If not for PT paying attention to the clock, we'd have "lost" due to "running out of time," which is unacceptable per Stoops.

Well said.

And I will always believe that if our defense had gotten 1 more stop we would have won anyway. So I put the blame on the D. Even thourgh the officials totally botched the onside kick call.

adoniijahsooner
3/29/2008, 01:07 PM
So do you all think the new "no huddle" offense will be seen today at the first scrimmage or is this something they'll hold off til late Summer to unveil?

I dont think it will be seen til the fall.

OK2LA
3/29/2008, 02:08 PM
Doesn't seem to me like the offense, or the speed of the offense was the problem last year. Maybe in the Colorado game . . .

Piware
3/31/2008, 01:58 AM
The Pokes are swearing that we stole the idea from them and they will use it against us. Heh!

93sooner
4/1/2008, 10:43 PM
IMO the "no huddle" will let us take advantage of mismatches that are created by the other teams' inability to sub. Sexat and A&M have new coordinators and schemes that will slow them down. While we beat Mizzou twice, it was frustrating seeing the offense break the huddle when our D was in some cases still trying to get the play in.

BOB says that D wins championships, so the no huddle is interesting but we have to solve the D issues on the line and with the DB's.

And who gives a shizzle what that rasslin' school in stoolwater thinks?

93sooner
firebobbyjack.com