PDA

View Full Version : Change Tippers

JohnnyMack
3/11/2008, 09:46 AM
I hate change tippers.

You know, people who have a tab at a restaurant that is say 43.23 and they add in a tip that's 6.77 so it comes out to an even amount.

******. Baggery.

frankensooner
3/11/2008, 09:47 AM
But that is over 15%. A good tip. :D

Boomer.....
3/11/2008, 09:48 AM
Guilty

yermom
3/11/2008, 09:50 AM
you'd rather see $6?

at least it wasn't $1.77...

M
3/11/2008, 09:52 AM
Sounds like just another reward of working in the service industry! :)

achiro
3/11/2008, 09:55 AM
It's better than $6 and that stuff adds up. Take it from someone that worked in that industry for several years, it's a good thing.

sooneron
3/11/2008, 10:03 AM
This thread is stupid and full of fail.

frankensooner
3/11/2008, 10:05 AM

Which makes it perfect for this place!

JohnnyMack
3/11/2008, 10:06 AM

Obviously posted by a change tipper.

SoonerTerry
3/11/2008, 10:06 AM
gift horse mouth looker

JohnnyMack
3/11/2008, 10:08 AM
gift horse mouth looker

Lint licker.

yermom
3/11/2008, 10:09 AM
word.

you are lucky i paid my bill at all ;)

sooneron
3/11/2008, 10:17 AM
Obviously posted by a change tipper.

If I got it, yeah!

Rarely is it used to make an even amount. I use it to give someone a little bit extra. I always tip >15% if the service is good.

JohnnyMack
3/11/2008, 10:17 AM
One of my glorious jobs here at my office is to break down American Express bills. We have this new employee who always "change tips". I was on the fence as to whether or not he was a *********. This seals the deal.

tbl
3/11/2008, 10:18 AM
I do that every time. See, I'm the customer. When I get home and have to do my expense report, its much easier for me to press "50 - Enter" instead of having to type an extra decimal and two other numbers. Win = Customer

NormanPride
3/11/2008, 10:18 AM
Why does it matter? It's a good tip and everything comes out even.

sooneron
3/11/2008, 10:19 AM
Oh, I get it. You would rather add up exterraneous amounts and have to deal with cents instead of rounded off numbers? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

tbl
3/11/2008, 10:20 AM
However, I still tip a minimum 15% and most of the time I'm closer to 20%, so it looks like everybody wins, even the waiter that has to take home $.47 in change.

SoonerTerry
3/11/2008, 10:22 AM
Lint licker.

Terd pincher offer before its' done

SoonerTerry
3/11/2008, 10:23 AM
One of my glorious jobs here at my office is to break down American Express bills. We have this new employee who always "change tips". I was on the fence as to whether or not he was a *********. This seals the deal.

2 werds.. HEAD SHOT!!!

YWIA

JohnnyMack
3/11/2008, 10:25 AM
2 werds.. HEAD SHOT!!!

YWIA

Conveniently he works out of New Jersey. I'll have to call in an airstrike to deal with this problem.

That or send him down to the basement to check on Junior Soprano.

crawfish
3/11/2008, 10:29 AM
Worst tip I ever got working at Steak & Ale in Moore: A group left me $130 for a bill of 129.97.

I had to pay a 5% tip share, plus 3 bucks for bartender tip since they'd transferred their bar tab. In essence, I had to pay nearly 10 bucks for the "pleasure" of waiting on the rudest, most demanding six people I'd ever seen. I don't quite remember, but it probably took away from the tips
I got from the other tables I had at the time.

SoonerTerry
3/11/2008, 10:30 AM
Just wait for the 7 streak and call in a heli on him.

soonerbrat
3/11/2008, 10:47 AM
Worst tip I ever got working at Steak & Ale in Moore: A group left me $130 for a bill of 129.97.

I had to pay a 5% tip share, plus 3 bucks for bartender tip since they'd transferred their bar tab. In essence, I had to pay nearly 10 bucks for the "pleasure" of waiting on the rudest, most demanding six people I'd ever seen. I don't quite remember, but it probably took away from the tips

that's what happens on the sousside.

sooneron
3/11/2008, 11:04 AM
There is STILL a Steak and Ale in Htown.

shaun4411
3/11/2008, 02:23 PM
get a better job?

JohnnyMack
3/11/2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the advice.

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 02:54 PM
Guilty. I generally figure out the 18% or 20% amount (depending on service) and round up to the nearest 50 cent increment after that. EXCEPTIONAL service might get 25%, 30% or more, but generally gets the spare change too.

And of course, this will open up a whole OTHER can of worms, but super ****ty service that I KNOW was the fault of the server (as opposed to the kitchen, understaffing, or other external forces uncontrolled by ther server, which is most often the case) gets jobbed. The type of service that qualifies for this is generally limited to rudeness or blatant inattentiveness when obviously not "in the weeds." (again usually out of the server's control). I have a pretty good eye for what is the server's fault vs. the myriad of factors that can take service quality out of the server's hands, due to years in the industry myself. Of course, any good server can fix any number of external factors by explaining them to the patron with a brief but sincere apology.

I've stiffed a server MAYBE ten times in my life. But what I've done when doing this is send a message by placing a solitary quarter on the table and using whatever is a hand, straws, sugar packets, whatever, to make a little starburst pattern or series of arrows pointing to the quarter. Warning: don't do this when paying via credit card.

Flame away, service industry people.

Viking Kitten
3/11/2008, 03:06 PM

This is the essence of why I only spent five months of my life waiting tables. That in addition to the fact that the IRS assumes you are making 15 percent, so you get to pay the taxes on money you didn't even make.

Yes, sometimes there would be good nights where you would make up for some of that crap, but nothing, nothing was worth that feeling of wanting to throw some no-tipping bastage to the ground and shove jalepeno poppers into all their orifices.

So, as long as I was getting the tip I had earned, I had no problem with a customer tipping odd amounts to make an even dollar amount figure.

JohnnyMack
3/11/2008, 03:16 PM
...but nothing, nothing was worth that feeling of wanting to throw some no-tipping bastage to the ground and shove jalepeno poppers into all their orifices.

:hot:

Pricetag
3/11/2008, 03:19 PM
And of course, this will open up a whole OTHER can of worms, but super ****ty service that I KNOW was the fault of the server (as opposed to the kitchen, understaffing, or other external forces uncontrolled by ther server, which is most often the case) gets jobbed. . .Of course, any good server can fix any number of external factors by explaining them to the patron with a brief but sincere apology.
Sincerity being critical here. A good friend of mine has worked in the industry for many years, and I have gotten to know a good number of his co-workers. Blaming the kitchen is a favorite tactic of theirs when trying to salvage a good tip off not-so-good service. I'm pretty skeptical of excuses of any kind. A simple apology with no attempt to explain works far better for me.

Regarding the original post, this is someone who has to process the charges complaining, and not any waiters, right? That would take the cake to complain about getting more money.

JohnnyMack
3/11/2008, 03:23 PM
Regarding the original post, this is someone who has to process the charges complaining, and not any waiters, right? That would take the cake to complain about getting more money.

Yes. I don't work in the food service industry, rather I was always told it was poor etiquette to tip with change.

Where's Lid?

Pricetag
3/11/2008, 03:29 PM
Yes. I don't work in the food service industry, rather I was always told it was poor etiquette to tip with change.

Where's Lid?
I've heard that regarding change made out of metal, but I don't see how change made out of paper (that's what we're talking about here, credit card receipts, correct?) could possibly be a source of complaint. It's going to add up, and the waiter won't end up bringing home more that 99 cents from it in a single night.

OUDoc
3/11/2008, 03:37 PM
I do it sometimes. I'm not too worried about what the waiter/-ess thinks of me after I leave.

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 03:39 PM
Sincerity being critical here. A good friend of mine has worked in the industry for many years, and I have gotten to know a good number of his co-workers. Blaming the kitchen is a favorite tactic of theirs when trying to salvage a good tip off not-so-good service. I'm pretty skeptical of excuses of any kind. A simple apology with no attempt to explain works far better for me...
Yeah, I'm not encouraging a bunch of finger pointing. I'd prefer to get something along the lines of "hey, I'm really sorry; I know we've been off of our game a bit tonight. I hope it doesn't keep you from coming back."

A really good server, though, will keep the customer apprised when there are kitchen problems, for instance. Checking in with "hey, I'm sorry it's taking a bit long for your entrees. The kitchen is a little behind. Should be out in a few minutes. Can I get you another refill?" or "please bear with me; we weren't prepared for this crowd tonight and I have more tables than I usually take care of," earns points in my book. Just acknowledging along the way that things aren't optimal, but doing whatever possible to inform and make the evening better. THAT'S all most people are looking for.

crawfish
3/11/2008, 03:44 PM
This is the essence of why I only spent five months of my life waiting tables. That in addition to the fact that the IRS assumes you are making 15 percent, so you get to pay the taxes on money you didn't even make.

Yes, sometimes there would be good nights where you would make up for some of that crap, but nothing, nothing was worth that feeling of wanting to throw some no-tipping bastage to the ground and shove jalepeno poppers into all their orifices.

So, as long as I was getting the tip I had earned, I had no problem with a customer tipping odd amounts to make an even dollar amount figure.

That's about how long I spent at S&A. Don't feel too sorry for me...I made about double during that period than I would have continuing to be a stocker/cashier/other grunt worker. I saved up and didn't have to work the last semester of college.

Taxman71
3/11/2008, 03:46 PM

I worked at the same place in college. Overall, the money was great, but tip share definitely $ucked on slow nights or a crappy table. Then again, I always welcomed the intoxicated corporate bigtop who double-tipped.

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 03:48 PM
**** a bunch of tip share. No way I would work somewhere like that, were I still in the service industry. What a disincentive to do excellent work. The exception would be a rocking bar with tip jars for the bartenders.

Oldnslo
3/11/2008, 03:57 PM
ahem. I see that I am a *********. Carp. Up until this thread, I'd been thinking pretty highly of myself.

JohnnyMack
3/11/2008, 04:00 PM
ahem. I see that I am a *********. Carp. Up until this thread, I'd been thinking pretty highly of myself.

:O

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 04:08 PM
:les: *********!!!

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 04:08 PM
Dang timing ruiner. Thanks a lot, JM.

StoopTroup
3/11/2008, 04:13 PM
I try not to tip on the credit card receipt.

It's best to go with cash and then deduct the 28% that the waiter isn't going to claim as taxable income.

:D

Oldnslo
3/11/2008, 04:15 PM
*********s of the world, UNITE!

Taxman71
3/11/2008, 04:19 PM
**** a bunch of tip share. No way I would work somewhere like that, were I still in the service industry. What a disincentive to do excellent work. The exception would be a rocking bar with tip jars for the bartenders.

The tipshare thing wasn't nearly as bad as not making minimum wage plus tips (as most people who have never worked in a restaurant believe). The amount of tips claimed by the employees count towards the minimum wage, thus, the restaurant lets its customers pay its employees' entire wages (nearly). Now that really $ucked on a slow night when the manager made you do cleaning work (because you had no tables) and you basically did so for free.

Of course, when I would bartend on a slow night and still get $40 - $50 bucks for watching TV, it was nice.

Pricetag
3/11/2008, 04:40 PM
The tipshare thing wasn't nearly as bad as not making minimum wage plus tips (as most people who have never worked in a restaurant believe). The amount of tips claimed by the employees count towards the minimum wage, thus, the restaurant lets its customers pay its employees' entire wages (nearly). Now that really $ucked on a slow night when the manager made you do cleaning work (because you had no tables) and you basically did so for free.

Of course, when I would bartend on a slow night and still get $40 - $50 bucks for watching TV, it was nice.
You're complaining about not making minimum wage plus tips? Jeez, how much money did you need to make? I don't believe that society is ignorant of the fact that waiters don't make minimum wage. That's the reason there have been accepted tipping norms. Waiters and former waiters tend to keep us well informed on the issue.

Don't get me wrong--I think it's jacked that restaurants pass their labor costs on to the customer like that. I don't have a problem with waiters making minimum wage, nor do I have a problem with paying more for my food because of it. But I also think that the current norm would need to be adjusted accordingly.

StoopTroup
3/11/2008, 04:42 PM
Do strippers have the same pay structure?

SoonerInKCMO
3/11/2008, 04:48 PM
Do strippers have the same pay structure?

Pay structure at strip clubs varies greatly by club and local laws. :hot:

soonervegas
3/11/2008, 04:58 PM
I worked at the same place in college. Overall, the money was great, but tip share definitely $ucked on slow nights or a crappy table. Then again, I always welcomed the intoxicated corporate bigtop who double-tipped.

I am 100% convinced myself and Taxman worked together in college at said establishment.

Steak and Ale
OU fan
Tax man
Has a Sam Malone icon

I am convinced at this point.

soonervegas
3/11/2008, 05:05 PM
and on a side note:

If you weren't making a $100-150 per shift at Steak and Ale.....you just weren't trying hard enough.

SelmaBamaFan
3/11/2008, 05:34 PM
"in the weeds."

Ah, good ole restaurant talk. Brings back bad memories man, very bad memories.

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 05:37 PM
See? I'm LEGIT, bitches!!

TUSooner
3/11/2008, 05:42 PM
Who knew?
I try to be a good tipper, so I promise not to do that any more. :)

mdklatt
3/11/2008, 05:57 PM
Change tippers are the twats who round up to the nearest dollar, as in not "keep the change" but the "keep just the change". Oh gee, 13 cents. Now I can pay for the operation.

That's not even a tip, that's just being lazy.

:mad:

I don't know WTH JohhnyMack is complaining about. :confused:

Viking Kitten
3/11/2008, 05:58 PM
We can say "twats"?

Oh man. This is awesome news.

mdklatt
3/11/2008, 06:00 PM
We can say "twats"?

Oh man. This is awesome news.

Yes, I discovered that a few weeks ago.