PDA

View Full Version : Clayton To LB

PLaw
3/11/2008, 07:17 AM
Just saw where Keenan Clayton has moved from safety to OLB. Clayton fell off the radar during the 2006 season after some mental busts in early games. Didn't know if he was in the dog house or what had happened to him. Apparently, this move is BV's answer to the three receiver and empty back field sets that the traditional LB's sttuggle to defend.

Clayton really has excelled in the new role leading in 9 of 10 LB metrics.

Good for Clayton.

BOOMER

SoonersEnFuego
3/11/2008, 08:19 AM
Hopefully he's learned how to tackle.

David Earl
3/11/2008, 08:34 AM
We've all heard the buzz that he's been all over the field during spring practice at LB. I'm hopeful he's found where he fits best.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2008, 08:37 AM
I think BVs comments about seeing it in games is key here because KC did enough in practice before to earn a starting safety gig only to be yanked and sent to special teams..So while I m glad he s done well, I think I ll get pumped about this when its during the game

soonerfan28
3/11/2008, 09:57 AM
I think he'll make a good LB, but the reasoning behind it doesn't make any sense to me. If we need more speed at LB why not move Travis Lewis who ran reported 4.34 40 there. I know Lewis ran that at closer to 215 lbs and he's now 242 lbs, but Clayton only ran a 4.5 and I can't see any way that Lewis has lost that much speed. I do like Clayton, but I would much rather see him playing safety with Harris.

NormanPride
3/11/2008, 10:23 AM
In a perfect world, sure you'd love to have him at safety. But if he's not good in space, then maybe we need to protect him a bit in the scheme. I'm sure we all remember the tackle he blew against East Popcorn State to give them a 50+ yard touchdown run. I don't want no more of that.

soonerfan28
3/11/2008, 11:39 AM
Good point. Maybe we should move Lewis to safety. Just kidding, but maybe we can rotate at LB like we do the DL. Keep some fresh bodies in there. I see why they have Lewis at weakside. With the speed he has, maybe him and Box can rotate at weakside and be factor.

David Earl
3/11/2008, 02:50 PM
The fact they've moved him to LB suggests we are gravitating toward a hybrid defense that is nickel/dime, even if we're in a 4-3 set.

fadada1
3/11/2008, 03:40 PM
Hopefully he's learned how to tackle.

is that important for linebackers???

TIA

effay
3/11/2008, 06:25 PM
Just saw where Keenan Clayton has moved from safety to OLB. Clayton fell off the radar during the 2006 season after some mental busts in early games. Didn't know if he was in the dog house or what had happened to him. Apparently, this move is BV's answer to the three receiver and empty back field sets that the traditional LB's sttuggle to defend.

Good for Clayton.

BOOMER

KC has been at LB all year.

SoonerSinger3
3/11/2008, 06:47 PM
you guys are hilarious. i know you all are just pokin some fun at him saying " i hope he can learn to tackle", but cmon fellas it was one missed tackle. anyone can get juked or miss a tackle.

snp
3/11/2008, 06:57 PM
I think he'll make a good LB, but the reasoning behind it doesn't make any sense to me. If we need more speed at LB why not move Travis Lewis who ran reported 4.34 40 there. I know Lewis ran that at closer to 215 lbs and he's now 242 lbs, but Clayton only ran a 4.5 and I can't see any way that Lewis has lost that much speed. I do like Clayton, but I would much rather see him playing safety with Harris.

1. Lewis IS a LB
2. Reported 40 times don't mean jack and should never be used in discussion "who should start"
3. This is old news, Clayton has been practicing with the LBs for over a year now.

tulsaoilerfan
3/11/2008, 09:41 PM
In a perfect world, sure you'd love to have him at safety. But if he's not good in space, then maybe we need to protect him a bit in the scheme. I'm sure we all remember the tackle he blew against East Popcorn State to give them a 50+ yard touchdown run. I don't want no more of that.

if we benched everyone that missed a tackle like he did against washington we would have been down to walk ons in the last 2 bowl games; seemed like he was given a raw deal and i hope he's a stud at LB

soonerfan28
3/11/2008, 09:45 PM
I know Lewis is a LB, but he's not playing strongside. He is listed at backup on the weakside behind Box. I was only saying that getting both of them on the field would be a good thing. I know he's been practicing with the LB's for a year. And 40 times do mean jack just ask Ryan Reynolds. He couldn't cover anyone last year. I'm not hating Clayton, but don't you want to have the best athletes on the field. If you would look closer I said it would be nice to see him at safety.

CK Sooner
3/11/2008, 09:47 PM
I know Lewis is a LB, but he's not playing strongside. He is listed at backup on the weakside behind Box. I was only saying that getting both of them on the field would be a good thing. I know he's benn practicing with the LB's for a year. And 40 times do mean jack just ask Ryan Reynolds. He couldn't cover anyone last year.

I am sure knee problems contributed a little bit to that.

Curly Bill
3/11/2008, 09:49 PM

Good for Clayton.

BOOMER

Metrics? ...what, are we playing Canadian football this coming season? ;)

soonerfan28
3/11/2008, 09:51 PM
I agree that 2 knee surgeries contributed. I was only saying that 40 times are important in response to snp saying that that they don't mean jack. I think Reynolds will be great in the middle and losing Lofton we will need some experience in there.

CK Sooner
3/11/2008, 09:53 PM
I agree that 2 knee surgeries contributed. I was only saying that 40 times are important in response to snp saying that that they don't mean jack. I think Reynolds will be great in the middle and losing Lofton we will need some experience in there.

They show a little bit about the player, if it didn't you would think it wouldn't be one of the main things tested at Camps/Combines.

snp
3/11/2008, 10:29 PM
I know Lewis is a LB, but he's not playing strongside. He is listed at backup on the weakside behind Box. I was only saying that getting both of them on the field would be a good thing.

That's not what you said and not what I quoted. Who cares what he's listed on the depth chart, it's March.

I know he's benn practicing with the LB's for a year. And 40 times do mean jack just ask Ryan Reynolds. He couldn't cover anyone last year. I'm not hating Clayton, but don't you want to have the best athletes on the field. If you would look closer I said it would be nice to see him at safety.

Reynolds was getting beat on 5 yard dashes because his knees were shot to hell. 40 times alone don't mean jack.

CK Sooner
3/11/2008, 10:35 PM
That's not what you said and not what I quoted. Who cares what he's listed on the depth chart, it's March.

Reynolds was getting beat on 5 yard dashes because his knees were shot to hell. 40 times alone don't mean jack.

Sooo true.

soonerfan28
3/11/2008, 10:39 PM
Actually Reynolds couldn't cover anything beyond 15 yards and that's why they moved him to the middle. I'm sorry you couldn't figure out that Lewis was on the weakside. I guess I thought that was common knowledge. Your right they'll probably have Lewis work at weakside all spring and then move him in the fall. That makes a lot of sense. I think we've already established that they do mean jack.

goingoneight
3/11/2008, 10:49 PM
I'm with the above posters who said "wait until he does something." I've seen him play a few times and he's looked awful each time. NTM, he never saw the field again and there were several times when players I never heard of before came in mop-up safety ahead of him.

soonerfan28
3/11/2008, 10:54 PM
I understand why he's not at safety and maybe he will work out better at LB. I was only saying that Lewis would be a great fit at strongside. That's not a knock on Clayton's ability. I'm just praising Lewis' speed and potential to play on the strongside.

NormanPride
3/12/2008, 09:55 AM
if we benched everyone that missed a tackle like he did against washington we would have been down to walk ons in the last 2 bowl games; seemed like he was given a raw deal and i hope he's a stud at LB

Our tackling was terrible early, yes, but he was the worst of the lot, and was in a position where there was no leeway if he missed one. The kid was fired for a reason, and here's hoping this new shot is a better fit for him.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/12/2008, 10:07 AM
It was more than one play peeps...its also not necessarily about missing a tackle as it was effort or lack of

NormanPride
3/12/2008, 10:10 AM
Word.

East Coast Bias
3/12/2008, 04:15 PM
We are stacked at starting ends, why not convert one or two of those guys to LB? I am sure some of those guys can run, they certainly can tackle. We have Williams.Washington, Beale and English all available. I like a possible starting lineup of Washington and English with Beale or Williams as LB candidates. The problem with Reynolds's role is that Stoops always seems to weigh seniority over talent in situations like this.

CK Sooner
3/12/2008, 04:21 PM
I think Williams would be too slow for LB. Beal and English would probaly be pretty good though. I don't think it would be a good idea though, thats why we are recruiting linebackers.

soonerfan28
3/12/2008, 04:26 PM
I think Williams would be too slow for LB. Beal and English would probaly be pretty good though. I don't think it would be a good idea though, thats why we are recruiting linebackers.

Or just converting safeties.

snp
3/12/2008, 05:55 PM
Actually Reynolds couldn't cover anything beyond 15 yards and that's why they moved him to the middle. I'm sorry you couldn't figure out that Lewis was on the weakside. I guess I thought that was common knowledge.

I never said which LB position Lewis plays; I know he's the WILL since that is where the fastest LB on the crew will play. (Baker vs Reynolds, Lehman vs Allen, Alexander vs Ingram). I thought that was common knowledge.

And guess what, they don't use 40 times to figure out the depth chart.

Your right they'll probably have Lewis work at weakside all spring and then move him in the fall. That makes a lot of sense. I think we've already established that they do mean jack.

Yea, it does. There are two potential SAM backers coming in after this semester. Why get Lewis the reps at that position if it's likely those two upperclassmen are better? If they don't work out, then you gotta explore other options.

snp
3/12/2008, 05:59 PM
The problem with Reynolds's role is that Stoops always seems to weigh seniority over talent in situations like this.

What? Stoops is known for the exact opposite.

David Earl
3/12/2008, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure our DE's would have enough quickness and agility to do what our defense asks of a LB.

Curly Bill
3/12/2008, 08:23 PM
We are stacked at starting ends, why not convert one or two of those guys to LB? I am sure some of those guys can run, they certainly can tackle. We have Williams.Washington, Beale and English all available. I like a possible starting lineup of Washington and English with Beale or Williams as LB candidates. The problem with Reynolds's role is that Stoops always seems to weigh seniority over talent in situations like this.

You named four guys and consider that being stacked at end? There are others you didn't mention, but nonetheless we are yet to be proven to be stacked at end. We need 4 or more guys who can play that position well and get after people's ***, we don't need to be farming them out to other positions.

snp
3/12/2008, 09:23 PM
What the two guys above me said and also we need all the fresh DEs we can get. With the entire conference passing 60 times a game, a great rush with the front four will be crucial. I love stockpiling DEs.

soonerfan28
3/12/2008, 09:46 PM
And guess what, they don't use 40 times to figure out the depth chart.

I never said they use 40 times to figure out the depth chart, but if I'm not mistaken Lofton improved his draft status just by running 1 tenth of a second faster. Last I checked we were pulling for the same team. I just think that if we are trying to improve the speed at strongside why not give Lewis a shot. I still don't agree that it makes a lot of sense to work at weakside all spring and then move to strongside in the fall. I agree Lehman was the man at weakside and Lewis would probably be excellent there, but if Box has that sewn up then why not move him to the strongside and get the best athletes on the field. I know that Clayton tested better then the other LB at 9 of the 10 events, but I thought it would be nice to see him back there with Harris and Box, Lewis and Reynolds playing the the LB's.

soonerfan28
3/12/2008, 09:55 PM
Also I think Bryant would be a great fit at strongside with the 4.45 speed. I just think he's going to be to far behind in understanding the schemes to be able to start right away. I also don't see any reason we can't rotate LB's in there and stay fresh like we do on the DL.

Curly Bill
3/12/2008, 10:14 PM
Also I think Bryant would be a great fit at strongside with the 4.45 speed. I just think he's going to be to far behind in understanding the schemes to be able to start right away. I also don't see any reason we can't rotate LB's in there and stay fresh like we do on the DL.

Did you see the Fiesta Bowl? We don't require they understand what they're doing in order to get to play. :D

...or if they did understand what to do and we still looked like butt on defense...well, this would be a good place to slam Venables then huh?

soonerfan28
3/12/2008, 10:20 PM
We don't require they understand what they're doing in order to get to play. :D

...or if they did understand what to do and we still looked like butt on defense...well, this would be a good place to slam Venables then huh?

That's true. I think the scheme was run around and try to tackle someone.

RedstickSooner
3/12/2008, 10:20 PM
I nominate this thread to be enshrined somewhere as the prototypical offseason football thread.

It's kinda sad how we get when we're starved for our favorite sport.

Me, I even watch a few arena football games this time of year. It's pitiful. Man, I wish they'd add about 7 more bye weeks to the football season, extend it a few months.

goingoneight
3/12/2008, 11:00 PM
Did you see the Fiesta Bowl? We don't require they understand what they're doing in order to get to play. :D

Let's not punish DeMarcus Granger for shoplifting and getting suspended, that must have been BV's fault. And damn that BV for not making Lendy's grades and English having the flu. Dumb old BV has to be the reason Reggie Smith was out with a broken foot, too. I am personally placing the blame on the defensive staff for managing only field goals, screwing up an onside kick and throwing an interception instead of a touchdown.

Missing six starters, turnovers, offensive anemia, playing an 11-2 opponent...
:les: FIRE HIM NAO!!!

Curly Bill
3/13/2008, 07:55 AM
Let's not punish DeMarcus Granger for shoplifting and getting suspended, that must have been BV's fault. And damn that BV for not making Lendy's grades and English having the flu. Dumb old BV has to be the reason Reggie Smith was out with a broken foot, too. I am personally placing the blame on the defensive staff for managing only field goals, screwing up an onside kick and throwing an interception instead of a touchdown.

Missing six starters, turnovers, offensive anemia, playing an 11-2 opponent...
:les: FIRE HIM NAO!!!

I don't care who was missing. I don't look to just this one game to form my opinion that BV is not a top-notch defensive coordinator.

Who was missing when we gave up 27 to TT in the first half, that's one half, and try and blame Hazle, but he was on offense after all, not defense. Who was missing in the Boisie game last year? Who's been missing in the 2-3 games per year when our defense mamages to play as if it doesn't have a clue? I know kids being kids they'll have bad games sometimes but since BV took the defensive helm it has happened too often. This doesn't even get into the soft cover 2 zone we play ALL THE TIME, the all too predictable blitz packages we employ, etc...etc...

Tear Down This Wall
3/13/2008, 08:33 AM
Stoops/Venables/etc.'s ability to move players around is highly overrated.

Because Andre Woolfolk and Frank Romero were standouts on both sides of the ball in high school, many idiots thought Stoops was a genius for moving them when he got here.

Their success hasn't been repeated despite the constant shuffling on defense. Eric Bassey moving back and forth from CB to safety. Ditto Reggie Smith. D.J. Wolfe moved from offense to defense and in between CB and safety. Lewis Baker from linebacker to safety. Etc., etc., etc. - with none of it being particularly effective.

I still trace it all back to the back-to-back departures of Mike Stoops and Bo Pelini. Since those two have gone, there has been no stability in the secondary. Just constant shuffling. We haven't had back-to-back years of stability at corner since Antonio Perkins and Derrick Strait were here.

I'm tired of it. I think we'll lose two or three games again because guys are constantly having to learn new positions and responsibilities - sometimes within the season.

My theory has always been Bobby Jack Wright is an excellent recruiter and defensive ends coach, but a crappy secondary coach. I now also think Mike Stoops and Bo Pelini were alot better with the secondary than Bob Stoops. For all of Bob Stoops' so-called expertise on training safeties, there sure have been a ton of big coverage busts and poor tackling by the safeties in big games over the past four to five years..

So, I'll again repeat - fire Chris Wilson, move BJW back to DE coach, and hire a real, bona fide secondary coach.

...or, just wait for Arizona to can Mike Stoops and re-hire him.

Curly Bill
3/13/2008, 08:36 AM
Stoops/Venables/etc.'s ability to move players around is highly overrated.

Because Andre Woolfolk and Frank Romero were standouts on both sides of the ball in high school, many idiots thought Stoops was a genius for moving them when he got here.

Their success hasn't been repeated despite the constant shuffling on defense. Eric Bassey moving back and forth from CB to safety. Ditto Reggie Smith. D.J. Wolfe moved from offense to defense and in between CB and safety. Lewis Baker from linebacker to safety. Etc., etc., etc. - with none of it being particularly effective.

I still trace it all back to the back-to-back departures of Mike Stoops and Bo Pelini. Since those two have gone, there has been no stability in the secondary. Just constant shuffling. We haven't had back-to-back years of stability at corner since Antonio Perkins and Derrick Strait were here.

I'm tired of it. I think we'll lose two or three games again because guys are constantly having to learn new positions and responsibilities - sometimes within the season.

My theory has always been Bobby Jack Wright is an excellent recruiter and defensive ends coach, but a crappy secondary coach. I now also think Mike Stoops and Bo Pelini were alot better with the secondary than Bob Stoops. For all of Bob Stoops' so-called expertise on training safeties, there sure have been a ton of big coverage busts and poor tackling by the safeties in big games over the past four to five years..

So, I'll again repeat - fire Chris Wilson, move BJW back to DE coach, and hire a real, bona fide secondary coach.

...or, just wait for Arizona to can Mike Stoops and re-hire him.

Nice! :D

NormanPride
3/13/2008, 10:31 AM
:rolleyes: