PDA

View Full Version : who is the real bball school?

Collier11
3/11/2008, 12:47 AM
I found this over at ouinsider, what say you puke st fans about your beloved bball program

OU basketball vs. OSU basketball: a statistical analysis since the inception of the Big 8.

The Big 8, as we knew it, came into being for the 1958-59 season. The name "Big 8" wasn't officially adopted until the 1964 season. From 1958-59 through 1964, the conference had been known as the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Oklahoma State was actually in the Missouri Valley Conference from 1928-1958.

So, these statistics are from the 1958-59 season to the last completed season (06-07). The statistics were compiled using a variety of sources, including soonerstats.com, big12sports.com, and okstate.com.

Oklahoma State
Total win/loss record: 779-628, .554
NCAA tournament appearances: 14
Final 4 appearances: 2
Title game appearances: 0
NIT appearances: 5
Conference titles: 2 big 8 (1 shared), 1 big 12
Conference tournament titles: 2 big 8, 2 big 12

Oklahoma
Total win/loss record: 920-540, .630
NCAA tournament appearances: 21
Title game appearances: 1
NIT appearances: 7
Conference titles: 5 big 8, 1 big 12 (shared)
Conference tournament titles: 4 big 8, 3 big 12

Overall head to head since 58-59

Oklahoma 62, Oklahoma State 46

Sooner4FCD
3/11/2008, 12:56 AM
Part of the essence of an aggy is that he ignores facts....

Ardmore_Sooner
3/11/2008, 01:37 AM
But they won 2 national titles! :rolleyes:

tommieharris91
3/11/2008, 02:27 AM
The guy that posted this at one of the prisner orange boards was banned immediately. It's been around for about a month or so.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=48108

The_Red_Patriot
3/11/2008, 09:48 AM
OSU has finished in front of OU only once or twice since the formation of the big 12.

It was also like that in the big 8.

bri
3/11/2008, 10:35 AM
:stunned: TYPICAL GOONER, ONLY GOING BACK FAR ENOUGH TO MAKE YOURSELVES LOOK GOOD!! WE OWNED YOU BACK IN AUGHT-SIX!!!!

soonerfan28
3/11/2008, 12:46 PM
Didn't OSU when the national title in like 54'? I know you are talking about after the 1958-1959 season.

stoopified
3/11/2008, 12:54 PM
But they won 2 national titles! :rolleyes:That is TRUE;in 191945-46.That was argely due a near 7 footer named Bob Kurland in an era when BIG MEN were 6'5-6'6 and goal tending(both offensive and defensive )was legal.I have laways found it intresting that Henry Iba coached at oSu until 1968 and never sniffed anything close to a Final Four in his last 22 years.

IMHO Cowpuke basketball would have stayed moribund had THE DRUNK been able to land any other job.Most neon Orange clad fans don't recall that Eddie coached at Creighton,Arkansas,Kentucky before landing at T. Boone State.If he loved orange so much why did it take 25 years for Eddie to come to Stillwater?The answer is no one else would have him.

One reason TBS administration will have patience with Drunk jr is who else are they going to get?Aside from (2) 60 year-old national titles they have no tradition.

bri
3/11/2008, 01:43 PM
Aside from (2) 60 year-old national titles they have no tradition.

:stunned: STUPID GOONER! WE HAVE THE GREATEST, BESTEST, MOST HISTORICEST PLACE TO PLAY IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!!! IT SAYS SO RIGHT ON THE WALL!! "HISTORIC"!! THEY COULDN'T PUT IT THERE IF IT WASN'T TRUE!!!!!

NormanPride
3/11/2008, 02:18 PM
But bri, they have a basketball gym attached to a football field. That must count for something, right?

bri
3/11/2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, it means they're Union with sh*tter facilities. :D

sooner2b09
3/11/2008, 03:46 PM
Every time i go read there board i get depressed because they always talk about how they are starting to level the field and they are catching up to us and it just makes me feel bad because i know they never will. :)

PDXsooner
3/11/2008, 04:02 PM
i will agree it's pretty weak to not count their natiojnal titles. how would ou fans respons about a football argument discounting the 50's and those three titles? OU has been better in hoops as long as i've been around, but those types of pick-and-choose comparisons are a waste of time...

tommieharris91
3/11/2008, 04:49 PM
Ha, if an aggie ever tries to discount our football titles, just go right ahead and mention that their basketball titles were won in an era where a team could lose in the NIT and still make and win the NCAA tournament. Utah actually pulled that trick once.

Bri, you don't speak and spell aggie well. It's usually a lot of misspelled words, misplaced punctuation, and some random farm animal noises thrown in.

silverwheels
3/11/2008, 04:56 PM
But he did get down the usage of "gooner" properly...I'll be damned if there's a post on an OSU board about OU without the word "gooner" in it. Hell, some threads don't even have to be about OU and I'll see "gooner" a few times.

Stupid gooners.

tommieharris91
3/11/2008, 05:03 PM
:les: DAMDED UO GOONERZ!!!!! KWIT UR CHEETIN N PLA BI DA RULZ!!!!!!

TopDawg
3/11/2008, 05:06 PM
Those gowboys are stupid. But what do you expect out of gggie?

bri
3/11/2008, 05:24 PM
Bri, you don't speak and spell aggie well.

Thank God. :D

silverwheels
3/11/2008, 05:32 PM
Thank God. :D

GOONER! [hairGel]

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 05:35 PM
...One reason TBS administration will have patience with Drunk jr is who else are they going to get?Aside from (2) 60 year-old national titles they have no tradition.
Wait just a goldurn minute. I have heard it from pretty near every aggie I know that Bill Self is chomping at the bit to leave Kansas and come steer them into their glorious new era of championship hoop.

:confused: ;)

bri
3/11/2008, 06:14 PM
[hairGel] THAT'S INAKURIT!!!

Mixer!
3/11/2008, 06:18 PM
Wait just a goldurn minute. I have heard it from pretty near every aggie I know that Bill Self is chomping at the bit to leave Kansas and come steer them into their glorious new era of championship hoop.

:confused: ;)
According to the devil's radio up here, Booner contacted Self and offered him a 10 year/$40M contract, and Self turned him down. :pop:

Mixer!
3/11/2008, 06:20 PM
Oh, and if you truly want to get under an aggroid's skin the next time they start throwing around "gooners", just smile and reply that it beats being a "land thief". :D

bri
3/11/2008, 06:22 PM
If I want to get under aggy's skin, I just point to the nearest available scoreboard. ;)

TDArkansasOhMy
3/11/2008, 06:33 PM
UNC

tulsaoilerfan
3/11/2008, 08:28 PM
Right now the aggies are only the 3rd best program in the state, and in a couple more years they may even be behind TU

bri
3/11/2008, 08:43 PM
God, I hope so. TU needs to get a lot better in order to get back to pulling in the kind of attendance numbers it'll take to get C-USA to pull the conference tourney out of Memphis and let the BOK Center host it. :D

Crimsontothecore
3/12/2008, 09:50 AM
Ya'll is just a bunch of GOONERS..wait.....ya'll is a bunch of GOONERS with MULLETS!...wait...ya'll is a bunch of GOONERS with MULLETS and you live in TRAILOR PARKS!..no..hold on, I got it..Ya'll is a bunch of GOONERS with MULLETS who live in TRAILOR PARKS and MOW LAWNS! no...wait......

Crimsontothecore
3/12/2008, 09:59 AM
The guy that posted this at one of the prisner orange boards was banned immediately. It's been around for about a month or so.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=48108

Take a look at the attacks this Orangelight guy endures just because he doesn't drink from the bottle of hatred and jealousy they are serving. Poor guy will be banned soon if he doesn't meet the status quo. Notice how they instantly label him a "gooner".
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=50358

Mixer!
3/12/2008, 10:15 AM
:les: "WHERE IS YOUR BEARD, ORANGE TALIBAN?" :stunned:

birddog
3/12/2008, 11:20 AM
i'm still hyptonitized by their "World's Most Powerful Countdown Clock".

SteelClip49
3/12/2008, 04:43 PM
for OU, the obvious is the major emphasis on football, and basketball has been damn good as well for being at a major top 10 football program. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way but I would say OSU is the "real" hoops school based on the Gallagher-Iba hype and that being the only sport they usually are consistent in. I would think the majority of Sooner Nation could care less about basketball, not that they don't care at all, but since football is king here, why worry about us being a hoops school or not. I think it's great that OU can benefit from the 2 even though hoops doesn't attract the fan consistency.

Collier11
3/12/2008, 04:46 PM
I would think the majority of Sooner Nation could care less about basketball, not that they don't care at all, but since football is king here, why worry about us being a hoops school or not. I think it's great that OU can benefit from the 2 even though hoops doesn't attract the fan consistency.

This is a dumb statement and shows why Ou bball gets little or no respect around the country, cus many of our fans have this attitude. I care about us being a respected hoops school because I care about OU. Sure we support fball in a greater way but we should be proud of all our sports, especially when few give us much respect and the little annoying brother keeps acting like he is better when facts prove he isn't.

tommieharris91
3/12/2008, 06:23 PM
for OU, the obvious is the major emphasis on football, and basketball has been damn good as well for being at a major top 10 football program. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way but I would say OSU is the "real" hoops school based on the Gallagher-Iba hype and that being the only sport they usually are consistent in. I would think the majority of Sooner Nation could care less about basketball, not that they don't care at all, but since football is king here, why worry about us being a hoops school or not. I think it's great that OU can benefit from the 2 even though hoops doesn't attract the fan consistency.

I can't believe you wrote this and believe it, especially after seeing how our men's basketball program is comparable, if not historically better, than the OSU men's basketball program. Even you wrote that they could have the better basketball program based on hype. They aren't, and if people realize how underappreciated this program is (thanks for the run Sampson!) then people might start showing up for more games.

We worry about the OU men's basketball team because we worry about OU athletics. Now, I would understand if people didn't show up to basketball games simply because they don't like the sport, but simply to not show up just because "we're the football school" is pretty fair-weather thinking.

BTW, I negged you and forgot to sign it.

SteelClip49
3/12/2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks for negging me, it is greatly appreciated.

I am not one of those fans that doesn't appreciate OU basketball. I said what I said because it's worth a mention. Why is it when I listen to WWLS you have these "OU Fans" if they are worthy of that title, that complain about fans not coming to the game to support the team? Hell, why is it that you neg spekked me? Is it because what I said is not true? People call in and give their beef about it and why there are times where the LNC can't sell out. All I know is, you negged me for the wrong reason. I just mentioned what I mentioned because that notion does exist. Geez people, relax a bit.

Collier11
3/12/2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks for negging me, it is greatly appreciated.

I am not one of those fans that doesn't appreciate OU basketball. I said what I said because it's worth a mention. Why is it when I listen to WWLS you have these "OU Fans" if they are worthy of that title, that complain about fans not coming to the game to support the team? Hell, why is it that you neg spekked me? Is it because what I said is not true? People call in and give their beef about it and why there are times where the LNC can't sell out. All I know is, you negged me for the wrong reason. I just mentioned what I mentioned because that notion does exist. Geez people, relax a bit.

because we arent talkinga bout attendence, we are talking about perception and reality based on the facts which arent properly respected

cheezyq
3/13/2008, 08:58 AM
What's the criteria for being labeled a "basketball" or "football" school? If it's based on having the most success in a particular sport (as compared to the other sports that the school competes in), then neither OU nor OSU can be called a "basketball" school. OU is a football school, and OSU is a rasslin' school.

Beyond that, OU is better than OSU in the sports that matter most, including basketball, and the facts support it. The only poSurs that care to disagree are the idiot poke conspiracy theorists that insist we only are better because we cheat. If anyone with half a brain thinks about it logically, though, the manpower and effort it would take to conceal the monumental evidence that would exist if we did cheat to achieve this kind of dominance, would be impossible to manage.

But since it requires half a brain, a poSur will rarely understands how ludicrous their allegations of cheating are. Those that do understand that we don't cheat, however, resort to insults (gooners) and making up stupid stories portraying us as "mullet-wearing trailer trash", etc.

SoonerTroll
3/13/2008, 09:25 AM
typical aggies to just ignore the truth and live in a fantasy world. just like the dream world that they are in when they think they could win a big XII title in football

Collier11
3/13/2008, 10:27 AM
What's the criteria for being labeled a "basketball" or "football" school? If it's based on having the most success in a particular sport (as compared to the other sports that the school competes in), then neither OU nor OSU can be called a "basketball" school. OU is a football school, and OSU is a rasslin' school.

Beyond that, OU is better than OSU in the sports that matter most, including basketball, and the facts support it. The only poSurs that care to disagree are the idiot poke conspiracy theorists that insist we only are better because we cheat. If anyone with half a brain thinks about it logically, though, the manpower and effort it would take to conceal the monumental evidence that would exist if we did cheat to achieve this kind of dominance, would be impossible to manage.

But since it requires half a brain, a poSur will rarely understands how ludicrous their allegations of cheating are. Those that do understand that we don't cheat, however, resort to insults (gooners) and making up stupid stories portraying us as "mullet-wearing trailer trash", etc.

Everyone is missing the entire point of this thread, the point is how Osu constantly claims state supremacy in basketball and how they are a "basketball" school while Ou has historically been better or the same in almost every important bball category than them

tommieharris91
3/13/2008, 10:30 AM
The only claims they can make are more Final Fours and more NCs.

bri
3/13/2008, 11:48 AM
Which, actually, can be comically debunked by reminding them that Oklahoma A&M has two national titles. Oklahoma State University has none. :D

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2008, 11:58 AM
It can also be debunked by pointing out that the NIT was the more prestigious tournament at the time, no matter how much OSU fans want to claim that it wasn't.

bri
3/13/2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah, but that's way too much fact and logic to throw at aggy. If there's anything more annoying than aggy, it's aggy when his nose is bleeding all over the floor while he rocks back and forth in a fetal ball, whimpering "but...but....Robert Allen done told me we was better than y'all gooners!" over and over again.

Dio
3/13/2008, 12:35 PM
BTW, I negged you and forgot to sign it.

I didn't. :D

tommieharris91
3/13/2008, 01:02 PM
Ha, if an aggie ever tries to discount our football titles, just go right ahead and mention that their basketball titles were won in an era where a team could lose in the NIT and still make and win the NCAA tournament. Utah actually pulled that trick once.

It can also be debunked by pointing out that the NIT was the more prestigious tournament at the time, no matter how much OSU fans want to claim that it wasn't.

I pwn teh molty-kwot.

Crimsontothecore
3/13/2008, 01:59 PM
All I gots to say to ya'll GOONERS is..BARRY SANDERS, BARRY SANDERS, BARRY SANDERS, BARRY SANDERS!................so there.

tommieharris91
1/19/2009, 02:16 PM
Yea, I know I'm looking ahead a bit, but I figure this thread needs a good bumping.

bri
1/19/2009, 02:47 PM
Any excuse to hate aggy is a good one to me.

birddog
1/19/2009, 07:18 PM
is anybody reminded of "Ollie" from Hoosiers whenever they see keiton page play?

OSUAggie
1/19/2009, 08:45 PM
Damn, how did I miss this disaster of a thread from yesteryear?

OSU beat the NIT champion after both of our national championships in '45 and '46. You can thank Oklahoma State University (via Oklahoma A&M) for goal tending and March Madness.

On behalf of the better basketball program, you're welcome.

The only claims they can make are more Final Fours and more NCs.

heh

And what kind of barometers are those silly little things?

We can also use Elite 8s, NCAA Tournament wins, Sweet 16s, or any other measuring stick when it matters most: March.

I have laways found it intresting that Henry Iba coached at oSu until 1968 and never sniffed anything close to a Final Four in his last 22 years.

Iba went to the Finals in '49 and the Final 4 in '51. He also had an Elite 8 in '58. And he coached until '70, not '68.

rainiersooner
1/19/2009, 08:50 PM
Sweeeet - it's time for OU basketball to heal my ailing heart!

tommieharris91
1/22/2009, 03:22 PM
Here is an update/addendem:

This is a head to head comparison looking at OU and OSU basketball. It was compiled using Soonersports.com, OkState.com, and Big12Sports.com. The point of this thread is to show just how biased the local media has been in favoring the Oklahoma State basketball program, and to educate both OU and OSU fans alike on how OU's program has a slight edge in tradition.
OU basketball vs. OSU basketball: a statistical analysis since the inception of the Big 8.

The Big 8, as we knew it, came into being for the 1958-59 season. The name "Big 8" wasn't officially adopted until the 1964 season. From 1958-59 through 1964, the conference had been known as the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Oklahoma State was actually in the Missouri Valley Conference from 1928-1958.

So, these statistics are from the 1958-59 season to the last completed season (07-08). The statistics were compiled using a variety of sources, including soonerstats.com, big12sports.com, and okstate.com.

Oklahoma State
Total win/loss record: 779-628, .554
NCAA tournament appearances: 14
Title game appearances: 0
NIT appearances: 5
Conference titles: 2 big 8 (1 shared), 1 big 12
Conference tournament titles: 2 big 8, 2 big 12

Oklahoma
Total win/loss record: 920-540, .630
NCAA tournament appearances: 22
Title game appearances: 1
NIT appearances: 7
Conference titles: 5 big 8, 1 big 12 (shared)
Conference tournament titles: 4 big 8, 3 big 12

Overall head to head since 58-59

Oklahoma 64, Oklahoma State 46

Since the inception of the Big 12 conference, OSU has only finished ahead of OU in the conferences win/loss record one (1) time:
96-97 OU 9-7 OSU 7-9
97-98 OU 11-5 OSU 11-5
98-99 OU 11-5 OSU 10-6
99-00 OU 12-4 OSU 12-4
00-01 OU 12-4 OSU 10-6
01-02 OU 13-3 OSU 10-6
02-03 OU 12-4 OSU 10-6
03-04 OU 8-8 OSU 14-2
04-05 OU 12-4 OSU 11-5
05-06 OU 11-5 OSU 6-10
06-07 OU 6-10 OSU 6-10
07-08 OU 9-7 OSU 7-9

So, you want to go back all-time? That is fine with me. All-Time Stats:

OU: All Time Record 1,468-936 (.611) OSU: 1452-1018 (.588).
124 Bedlam Wins 88
10 winning coaches 6
20 different All-Americans 17
22 Conference Championships 17
10/11 winning records against the Big 12 5/11
34 1000 point scorers 30
8 Oylmpic Appearences ?
40 NBA Draft Selections 32
25 NCAA appearences 22
32 Total Tournament appearences 31
157 100 point games 39
51 game home win streak 46
OU has spent more weeks in the AP Top 25 poll than OSU.
OU has had more winning seasons than OSU.
OU has a better all time home winning percentage than OSU.
OU has made it to 4 final fours (2 Championship games)

OSU (or Oklahoma A&M as it was called back then) has won two national championships ('45 and '46) in basketball. This is a stat that simply cannot be ignored, and really the main reason why the Cowboys are even in the ballpark with Oklahoma in terms of basketball program comparisons. I will not take anything away from their accomplishments but consider this:

1. These championships happened 62 and 63 years ago. Most of us on this board were not even born when the Cowboys won the championship. Before you bombard me with the 50's football championships, at least we have won one in the new millennium (2000), and, this is about basketball, not football.

2. The road to the winning the championship was a lot less meddlesome back in the old A&M days. The Aggies only had to win three (3) games to be crowned the champion unlike the grueling 6 games of the modern era. That is certainly not the Cowboy's fault, but should at least be mentioned. Four of OSU's six final fours were obtained via this three game system. Note: two of Oklahoma's 4 were also obtained this way. Eight of Oklahoma State's eleven Elite 8 appearances were accomplished by only having to win two games in the tournament! Note: 3 of OU's 7 Elite 8 appearances were won in this fashion.

3. The good old NIT was still a major player during this time. It was an era in which the NCAA was battling for dominance. While it is debatable which tournament ran supreme during these championships, one thing is for sure, not all the good teams were playing in the NCAA tournament. Could that of impacted OSU's two victories? Who knows? But again, worth mentioning.

4. All-American Bob Kurland was a game changing center for the pokes. There was no goal tending back then, so the big 7 footer could just sit back and guard the goal until the cows came home. It was certainly within the rules of the day, but it obviously gave the Cowboys a big advantage that they wouldn't have had a few years later (because of Kurland).

If OSU fans really want to use all of that success from the Iba days as the main basis of claiming superiority over Oklahoma (despite all the facts that I have presented in this comparison) then I think they might be living in the past just a tad! If I were them, then I would certainly want something more recent to hang my hat on in this debate.

http://ouhoops.com/showthread.php?t=2470

Collier11
2/20/2009, 12:03 PM
Thats too bad osu, the national media realizes your bball prowess is overhyped as well, you suck!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28116552/

College basketball The greatest programs of all time

• 1. Kentucky
• 2. North Carolina
• 3. Kansas
• 4. UCLA
• 5. Duke
• 6. Indiana
• 7. Louisville
• 8. Arizona
• 9. Syracuse
• 10. Connecticut
• 11. Cincinnati
• 12. Utah
• 13. Villanova
• 14. Illinois
• 15. Michigan State
• 16. Georgetown
• 17. Arkansas
• 18. Ohio State
• 19. St. John's
• 20. UNLV
• 21. Texas
• 22. Notre Dame
• 23. Temple
• 24. Oklahoma
• 25. N.C. State
• Best of the rest

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2009, 12:11 PM
That list loses a lot of credibility by somehow coming to the conclusion that Texas has a better hoops tradition than OU. Unless they've won a couple of national titles or had a brilliant five to ten year run somewhere that I'm not aware of, OU beats Texas in hoops in any way you choose to measure it.

King Crimson
2/20/2009, 12:18 PM
That list loses a lot of credibility by somehow coming to the conclusion that Texas has a better hoops tradition than OU. Unless they've won a couple of national titles or had a brilliant five to ten year run somewhere that I'm not aware of, OU beats Texas in hoops in any way you choose to measure it.

the Texas entry cites Barnes 3 times and "NBA Lottery picks" twice. doesn't even list any program accomplishments like tournament appearances. Doesn't even cite names like Tom Penders or Abe Lemons. It's all about Barnes (and Ford and Durant).

and again, playing in the SWC gives UT a stat boost in terms of total wins.

Collier11
2/20/2009, 12:22 PM
They have 3 final fours, 7 elite 8's, 27 conf championships(tourney and regular season combined), 26 ncaa tourneys, and 1 NIT title...

We have 25 tourneys, 2 natl runner-ups, 5 final fours, 22 conf titles(tourney and regular season combined) Its pretty comparable although we do dominate head to head

King Crimson
2/20/2009, 12:27 PM
anyway, i see that the complete version of the UT write-up includes Lemons.

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2009, 12:31 PM
They have 3 final fours, 7 elite 8's, 27 conf championships(tourney and regular season combined), 26 ncaa tourneys, and 1 NIT title...

We have 25 tourneys, 2 natl runner-ups, 5 final fours, 22 conf titles(tourney and regular season combined) Its pretty comparable although we do dominate head to head

Of those 27 conference championships, how many were won in arguably the worst "major" basketball conference in history? The SWC was garbage.

badger
2/20/2009, 01:12 PM
There are some terms that I learned back in high school economics that could be used here. Yes, OU has the advantage in both football and basketball, but when factoring in COMPARATIVE advantage, OSU has the COMPARATIVE advantage.

Basically, "comparative advantage" (gawww, I can't believe I still remember this stuff and I'm probably getting it wrong) factors in specialization. By having each separate entity focus on it's top area of performance, each entity ensures maximum production. Thus, each side has a comparative advantage and when each side focuses solely on it's comparative advantage area, both overall will be more productive.

:P Of course, OU and other big schools do not really use this mindset when it comes to sports. However, they did when establishing universities in the state.

Aggy stuff: OSU
Book smarts: OU
Minority students: Langston

This way, everyone in the state of Oklahoma could get the education they wanted, without Oklahoma breaking the bank to bring it to them. They specialized the schools to meet all students' needs.

:P Again, there's no chance in hell this would ever happen in sports when it comes to moneymakers. However, you will see it in minor sports. Colorado has the top skiing program in the country! Nebraska has the top volleyball team in the country! OSU has the top wrestling team in the country! OU has the top men's gymnastics team in the country!

Comparative advantage means we all get to be best at something, even if we really aren't. :)

Collier11
2/20/2009, 03:27 PM
Of those 27 conference championships, how many were won in arguably the worst "major" basketball conference in history? The SWC was garbage.

alot

Sooner04
2/20/2009, 03:36 PM
There are some terms that I learned back in high school economics that could be used here. Yes, OU has the advantage in both football and basketball, but when factoring in COMPARATIVE advantage, OSU has the COMPARATIVE advantage.

Basically, "comparative advantage" (gawww, I can't believe I still remember this stuff and I'm probably getting it wrong) factors in specialization. By having each separate entity focus on it's top area of performance, each entity ensures maximum production. Thus, each side has a comparative advantage and when each side focuses solely on it's comparative advantage area, both overall will be more productive.

:P Of course, OU and other big schools do not really use this mindset when it comes to sports. However, they did when establishing universities in the state.

Aggy stuff: OSU
Book smarts: OU
Minority students: Langston

This way, everyone in the state of Oklahoma could get the education they wanted, without Oklahoma breaking the bank to bring it to them. They specialized the schools to meet all students' needs.

:P Again, there's no chance in hell this would ever happen in sports when it comes to moneymakers. However, you will see it in minor sports. Colorado has the top skiing program in the country! Nebraska has the top volleyball team in the country! OSU has the top wrestling team in the country! OU has the top men's gymnastics team in the country!

Comparative advantage means we all get to be best at something, even if we really aren't. :)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/worffrustration.gif

Collier11
2/20/2009, 04:06 PM
my thoughts exactly

badger
2/20/2009, 06:03 PM
haha, clever :)

short version: ou is awesome

the_ouskull
2/21/2009, 01:21 AM
But they won 2 national titles! :rolleyes:

No, Oklahoma State did not win two basketball championships. Oklahoma A&M did. F*cking aggies. Also, I'm pretty sure that the final score of their first "championship" game was 1-0 because one of those aggie f*cktards forgot to cut the bottom out of mama's peach basket. Should that even count?

the_ouskull

badger
2/21/2009, 10:16 AM
No, Oklahoma State did not win two basketball championships. Oklahoma A&M did.

:stunned: Hey, I guess he's right! Sorry, we'll be removing those banners from GIA now

:D If only...

brown town sooner
2/22/2009, 12:51 AM
troll

brown town sooner
2/22/2009, 10:53 PM
The only stat anyone needs to worry about is the one that says.......OSU SUCKS!!!! that is all

brown town sooner
2/22/2009, 10:55 PM
Oh yeah....and if I hear another Faggie talk about how Lloyd Noble is never full I'm going to puke. If they're supposedly such a kick a$$ basketball school then why when the times are tough for them, like right now, they can barely fill the bottom bowl of the Gagular Hall?