PDA

View Full Version : LASIK - 3+ Years Later

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/10/2008, 10:29 PM
I went to the optometrist this morning. It's been a little over three years since my LASIK. I was thrilled to learn that my vision is still 20/20.

YAY!

Boomer.....
3/11/2008, 07:16 AM
Do you have problems with seeing in the dark? I heard that is a common problem.

sooner_born_1960
3/11/2008, 07:39 AM
Doesn't everyone?

sooner_born_1960
3/11/2008, 07:53 AM
SBSB, I'm glad your Lasik has proven so successful thus far.

OUDoc
3/11/2008, 08:00 AM
I still want to get it.

sooner_born_1960
3/11/2008, 08:01 AM
Me too, but I'd like to hear the 10-15 year stories.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/11/2008, 08:31 AM
Me too, but I'd like to hear the 10-15 year stories.
Well, I'll just say that before LASIK, trying to see out of my right eye was like trying to see through a piece of saran wrap. My vision was so poor in my right eye that when they did the vision tests, the E at the top may as well been a Y. I think my prescription was like +500. Anything was going to be an improvement and if I completely lost sight in that eye, no big deal.

I didn't have surgery on my left eye because the correction needed was so minimal.

As far as seeing in the dark, I've never been able to see that well at night anyway so I don't know if there is a difference.

Mjcpr
3/11/2008, 08:33 AM
Do you have whiskers? I've always heard that helps.

Boomer.....
3/11/2008, 09:12 AM
I have just heard of cases in which people could not see as well as they could before in low light situations after the procedure. NOT PITCH BLACK PEOPLE!

Ruuuuuufus
3/11/2008, 09:23 AM
NOT PITCH BLACK PEOPLE!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Tonito44/ThatsRacist.gif

proud gonzo
3/11/2008, 09:25 AM
edit: HAH! beat me to it :P

Cam
3/23/2008, 10:51 AM
I went to the optometrist this morning. It's been a little over three years since my LASIK. I was thrilled to learn that my vision is still 20/20.

YAY!

It's been over 4 years since mine. I need to visit my optometrist friend for a checkup. Gonna take my son in soon, so I'll probably have her check me out then as well.

StoopTroup
3/23/2008, 10:59 AM
Does it help keep you from running your shin into furniture when you get up in the middle of the night?

VeeJay
3/23/2008, 11:42 AM
I had it done in June '99, so it's been almost nine years. I had the same problem SBSB had - I was legally blind without corrective lenses. My surgery corrected me to 20/20 in one eye and 20/25 in the other.

No problems at all after nine years. It's probably the best money I have ever spent, and it was expensive back in those days - and insurance didn't cover it. If I had to do it again I would.

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2008, 11:44 AM
I had it done in June '99, so it's been almost nine years. I had the same problem SBSB had - I was legally blind without corrective lenses. My surgery corrected me to 20/20 in one eye and 20/25 in the other.

No problems at all after nine years. It's probably the best money I have ever spent, and it was expensive back in those days - and insurance didn't cover it. If I had to do it again I would.

4 years for me and I'd do it again in a heart beat. Anyone that is thinking about doing it, stop wasting time. It's a life changer.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/23/2008, 04:28 PM
My eye doctor told me if I wanted to see things just a little sharper to buy some +1.00 reading glasses. It was nice being able to buy a $14 pair of glasses to use for reading & computer stuff.

OU-HSV
3/23/2008, 04:33 PM

Crap...it still seems expensive to me today. But I'm sure like you said it will be money well spent. And I'm glad to hear both of your stories, cause I really want to get Lasik done as soon as I have the money (or as soon as I get some debt paid off). I'm really looking forward to it, I'm tired of contacts and glasses.

Does anyone else on here besides me see what my eye doctor calls "floaters" in their vision...some days they're worse than others. They're like black dots and trails of little bubbles, etc. I wonder if they can still perform Lasik on people who have these??

Cam
3/23/2008, 04:37 PM
My lasik was $2K. Worth every shiny penny. I'd do it again tomorrow if I needed to.

OU-HSV
3/23/2008, 04:39 PM
My lasik was $2K. Worth every shiny penny. I'd do it again tomorrow if I needed to.

Wow, you pulled a Mike Leach?? Paid them in pennies? ;)

Tailwind
3/23/2008, 05:03 PM
I told my optometrist that I wnated to have the Lasik done.
He told me not to bother because I am developing cataracts so it would be useless.

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2008, 05:31 PM
I told my optometrist that I wnated to have the Lasik done.
He told me not to bother because I am developing cataracts so it would be useless.

Maybe he just wants you to keep buying glasses...:D

Cam
3/23/2008, 05:42 PM
Wow, you pulled a Mike Leach?? Paid them in pennies? ;)

Half pennies, old school style.

LilSooner
3/23/2008, 06:25 PM
yeah I told my doc the same thing and now all of the sudden I have astigmatism in my right eye, and I'm not longer a good candidate.

Hmmm, funny how that works.

SoonerInKCMO
3/23/2008, 09:09 PM
Does it help keep you from running your shin into furniture when you get up in the middle of the night?

Most furniture hits her mid-thigh.

RacerX
3/23/2008, 09:18 PM
yeah I told my doc the same thing and now all of the sudden I have astigmatism in my right eye, and I'm not longer a good candidate.

You need to find jed's epic lasik post.

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2008, 09:22 PM

I have astigmatism in both eyes and had it done. The technology has changed.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/23/2008, 10:05 PM

Hmmm, funny how that works.It may depend on the doctor too. I had an optometrist who told me the same thing. I got a second opinion and they said I was a candidate. The doctors at Advanced Laser Centers still worked with me through vision therapy (free of cost to me) for about 3 months until I was ready for it.

My astigmatism is why I have low Rx reading glasses.