PDA

View Full Version : Great idea by Urban Meyer

Collier11
3/10/2008, 08:19 PM
I think this is awesome...

Urban Meyer has announced that any student who wants to come out an run a 40 is welcome to come out and post his best time.

The student who runs the fastest will get a chance to run a 40 against the four fastest Gators, including Percy Harvin, during the spring game.

If the walkon wins, he gets a full scholarship. ESPN will show the race, and said today they may show the prelims to pick out the winning student:

"Meyer announced the first-ever speed challenge on Wednesday. The event will take place during the Orange and Blue Game on April 12. ESPN GameDay will broadcast live from Gainesville and ESPN will televise the game live.

"While full details have yet to be worked out, Meyer said that on Thursdays of spring practices, which begin March 19, strength coaches will be out on the practice fields and students will be invited to come out and train. The entrants will be whittled down to one lucky contestant who will face Harvin, Thompson, Murphy and Rainey in front of a packed Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

"I want to give back to our students somehow," Meyer said. "That's going to be a great afternoon. If I'm a recruit and I come out and watch the ESPN GameDay crew in the stadium, watch it on a beautiful afternoon in the spring in Florida, and then you get to see a 40-yard dash in front of 60,000 people, that'd be kind of neat. Maybe that can help us get a couple of fast guys in recruiting."

TopDawg
3/10/2008, 08:22 PM
60,000?

Curly Bill
3/10/2008, 08:23 PM
Could they be a student from say...the track team?

freshchris05
3/10/2008, 09:05 PM
60,000?

It's a spring game... they arent bama quite haha..

King Crimson
3/10/2008, 09:25 PM
if i'm a university administrator....i'd probably object to a free ride based on "kinda neat".

of course, no one is gonna outrun those guys.

though, sicem is looking for a new school.

Curly Bill
3/10/2008, 09:28 PM
if i'm a university administrator....i'd probably object to a free ride based on "kinda neat".

of course, no one is gonna outrun those guys.

though, sicem is looking for a new school.

...and if the guy who came up with the idea is only one year removed from a national championship...

yermom
3/10/2008, 09:58 PM
seems a little silly

what if he has skillet hands?

what if it's a girl? :D

goingoneight
3/10/2008, 10:05 PM
Then we can point and laugh that the "super-fast SEC athletes" got beat by a girl. :D

CK Sooner
3/10/2008, 10:22 PM
Micheal Johnson played football, but he wasn't very good. :D

bri
3/10/2008, 10:32 PM
And here I thought Urban Meyer's great idea was "win your BCS bowls". :D

rainiersooner
3/10/2008, 10:43 PM
I think anytime you get ESPN in the mix with your program it's a good thing: not a righteous thing, but a good thing. Publicity = brand value = votes from the coaches and writers who don't watch your games. I think it's brilliant - this is from the man who used the press to lobby his team into the national championship game. This is, of course, also why we need a playoff, but that's another post for another thread.

freshchris05
3/10/2008, 10:45 PM
this much is true

GottaHavePride
3/10/2008, 11:02 PM
seems a little silly

What if it's Kathy Ireland?

You know, back when she was younger.

And hotter.

bri
3/10/2008, 11:06 PM
I think anytime you get ESPN in the mix with your program it's a good thing: not a righteous thing, but a good thing. Publicity = brand value = votes from the coaches and writers who don't watch your games. I think it's brilliant - this is from the man who used the press to lobby his team into the national championship game. This is, of course, also why we need a playoff, but that's another post for another thread.

I think that since his team went on to win that national championship game handily, it's not that bad. It's okay to argue your way into the title game if you're right. :D

rainiersooner
3/11/2008, 01:18 AM
Much better than arguing your way into it and losing! I've got no problem with him - I think he's a real media savvy coach. Good for them.

goingoneight
3/11/2008, 11:44 PM
I think that since his team went on to win that national championship game handily, it's not that bad. It's okay to argue your way into the title game if you're right. :D

Meh... look at Ohio State and :les: lobbying in 2007. Anyone in the top ten could have blasted them an a decent night. There's lots of national Champions who if they played someone else, played somewhere else, the outcome would have been very different. There's also plenty of teams who harp on getting hosed by the BCS and the outcome would be no different if they weren't snubbed. I don't see Auburn beating or even hanging with USC in 2004. OUr '85 title was won because the team that was better than us choked.

Big Red Ron
3/11/2008, 11:52 PM
I think this is a brilliant move. This is great way to get national media to recruit those great athletes that can afford to walk on and pay their way if the chose to walk on and fail. Sneaky smart if you ask me.

goingoneight
3/11/2008, 11:59 PM
It's a nice idea, I guess. Not exactly earth-shaking in my books.

OklahomaTuba
3/12/2008, 12:37 PM
Is it restricted to human beings only?

Seamus
3/12/2008, 12:40 PM

And hotter.

I used to be head-over-heels, crazy, kill-you-and-your-family-for-a-chance-with-her in love with Kathy Ireland.

Until I heard her speak in that crappy alien movie she made.

Then every thought was like this: I'm tapping her good, then she talks, and then I'm on the next train to Limpsville.

Meh. No one's perfect, I guess.

Collier11
3/12/2008, 01:12 PM
she does craft some fine wood! :)

aurorasooner
3/12/2008, 06:23 PM
If the walkon wins, he gets a full scholarship. Worked out for Willie Hayes. :D
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5425/wmhrunning2lb0.gif

silverwheels
3/12/2008, 06:29 PM
You may run like Hayes but you hit like ****.

aurorasooner
3/12/2008, 06:47 PM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6660/wmhbattersboxcl7.gif

dw17
3/12/2008, 11:14 PM
seems a little silly

Featherstone?

JLEW1818
3/13/2008, 12:09 AM
We will have the sooner game on ESPN again, right?

bri
3/13/2008, 12:18 AM
I used to be head-over-heels, crazy, kill-you-and-your-family-for-a-chance-with-her in love with Kathy Ireland.

Until I heard her speak in that crappy alien movie she made.

Then every thought was like this: I'm tapping her good, then she talks, and then I'm on the next train to Limpsville.

Meh. No one's perfect, I guess.

Two words: Ball. Gag.

You're welcome. :D

SbOrOiNaEnR
3/13/2008, 10:58 AM
Is it restricted to human beings only?

I like where this is going. Let's put Percy Harvin up against a cheetah or a gazelle. Think we can get the gambling community involved in this?

Collier11
3/13/2008, 11:00 AM
I like where this is going. Let's put Percy Harvin up against a cheetah or a gazelle. Think we can get the gambling community involved in this?

To much danger in the evolution of this idea, what if Harvin won and started talking smack so the cheetah said he could guard him one on one so then while the cheetah is guarding Harvin he gets juked and hurts his foot...man PETA would be all over Urban on that one...Screw that!

SoonerTerry
3/13/2008, 11:21 AM

And hotter.

I'd still hit it with the power of a popular revolution.

Seamus
3/13/2008, 11:55 AM
Two words: Ball. Gag.

You're welcome. :D

Sweet! And since Pulp Fiction didn't come out for another six years, I would've had a nice window of opportunity before having to worry about images of Ving Rhames going, '"Mmmm, mmmmphg."

:D

bri
3/13/2008, 11:59 AM
Dude, fight through it. We have to take ball gags back from the violent gay rape scene!

;)

shaun4411
3/13/2008, 12:37 PM
Could they be a student from say...the track team?

im not sure the track coach would want one of boys wearing pads and lifting weights with the footbal team.

bri
3/13/2008, 12:59 PM
Yes, because there's never been any two-sport athletes in football and track before. Ever.

shaun4411
3/13/2008, 01:34 PM
Yes, because there's never been any two-sport athletes in football and track before. Ever.

didnt say it cant happen. just said track coach wouldnt like it. and they usually end up dropping one sport for the other. it happend at ou.