PDA

View Full Version : Question for anyone who has attended . . .

Jacie
3/10/2008, 07:50 PM
. . . a highschool game in Oklahoma lately.

Is it legal during an Oklahoma highschool basketball game (i.e. not a team foul) for the home fans (as they are the ones usually dominating a gym) to make noise during free throw attempts by the visiting team?

In thinking back to the early 70's I know we used to make all kinds of noise to try and distract the free throw shooter. Skipping forward to the recent past, attending highschool games in the great frozen north of Upstate New York, I observed that crowds of both sides were so quiet during free throw attempts you could hear the players on the court breathing hard during the stoppage of play. When I brought up the idea of students yelling during free throw attempts, similar to what one sees during every college basketball game, I was told it was an automatic foul for the team of the offending fans (as determined by the officials, of course).

Have highschool rules been softened up a bit to protect the players and if so, would this prove to be a detriment to highschool players who managed to make a college team possibly on a statistic (i.e. scoring average) that would be bolstered by a decent free throw percentage only to find that they bricked em when trying to sink one in a gym full of screaming fans instead of the sedate crowds they were used to in highschool?

MichiganSooner
3/10/2008, 07:59 PM
The last 12 years, I have gone to lots of games in Oklahoma and Kansas and no one is quiet when the visitor is shooting a free throw. When I was in high school almost 40 years ago, our school's fans were quiet for the visitors except late in a game during the tournament. And this was a very large high school. Also, back then, free throws were the least of anybody's concerns. Racial tensions were high during the late 60's and violence sometimes broke out after the games in the parking lots. New York state probably has a rule to bring back sportsmanship.

bri
3/10/2008, 10:03 PM
I hate the ongoing perversion of "sportsmanship". Sportsmanship is competing hard, abiding by the rules, giving it your all and then at the end of the game showing grace in both victory and defeat. Making noise to distract a free-throw shooter isn't bad sportsmanship, it's the home court advantage.

At this rate, the pussies will have it to where there's not even any fans allowed in the building, lest someone clap louder for one team than the other and damage the other team's sense of self-worth.

Gah.

freshchris05
3/10/2008, 10:54 PM
i have no problem with it as long as it isnt below the belt...

scream your head off but leave mama's out of it...

BermudaSooner
3/11/2008, 09:14 AM
frigan blue states...

bri
3/11/2008, 09:43 AM
Wow, less than five replies for a question about basketball noise to get turned into a Democrats vs. Republicans issue. This place is awesome.

Jeopardude
3/12/2008, 10:30 AM
That does seem an antiquated idea. Colorado's head football coach raised a stink after they lost to OU in 1957 because the Owen Field crowd had made noise when the Colorado QB was calling signals. He was shocked! He singled out OU's drum major at the time who then had his picture in the NEw York Times the next week before the game to Notre Dame.

bri
3/12/2008, 11:33 AM
I had a noise maker confiscated at a basketball game when I was in high school, but that's about as far as The Man went towards making us not hurt the other team's feelings. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
3/12/2008, 11:36 AM
I do know that you ll get a suspension if you throw a basketball up in the stands at someone..14 years ago it was a one gamer..at least for me

bri
3/12/2008, 11:48 AM
I think I led the Metro Lakes Conference in "technicals called on people in the stands" during the 90-91 season. :D

meoveryouxinfinity
3/12/2008, 12:34 PM
In OK they still do it. Not like it really works. A good shooter will make them. An inconsistent one won't.