Print
RSS
Yahoo! Buzz
Social Bookmarking
Texas A&M, Arkansas to renew football rivalry at new Cowboys stadium

02:12 PM CDT on Monday, March 10, 2008

By KATE HAIROPOULOS / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

ARLINGTON -Texas A&M and Arkansas are the newest long-term tenants of the Dallas Cowboys' burgeoning $1.1 billion stadium.

The schools plan on settling in and building a tradition, similar perhaps to the annual Texas-Oklahoma game at the Cotton Bowl.

The renewed football rivalry will begin Oct. 3, 2009, the first game of an initial 10-year contract. But the schools can pick up five, four-year options that could extend the series to a 30-year deal.

The new stadium will feature Razorback and Aggies zones, and tickets will be split 50-50.

“We’d like to be here forever,” Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne said.

Wearing hard hats and orange safety vests, school officials - including Aggies coach Mike Sherman and Razorbacks coach Bobby Petrino - joined Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in announcing the deal at the stadium’s construction site Monday morning.

“This stadium can be home to great games,” said Jones, an Arkansas alum. “It’s a thrill to have schools that are as closely aligned - and certainly the school that is my alma mater - to come in here and initiate what this stadium can do.”

Each school stands to make a base of $5 million annually from the game, Byrne said. That number could grow with future sponsorships. Ticket prices have not been determined. A&M typically makes $3.5 million from a home game in College Station.

The Cowboys will charge the home team $100 rent each year.

“The Cowboys have been very, very helpful,” said Byrne, who has been in negotiations on the deal for about a year. “They wanted this game. It’s a good deal.”

Byrne said the schools will use the Oklahoma-Texas game as a gauge for prices. Arkansas and A&M will try to schedule the game around the first week of the State Fair.

The massive new stadium will feature Razorback and Aggies zones, and tickets will be split 50-50.

The rivalry will be televised according to the standing contracts of the Southeastern Conference (CBS) and Big 12 (ABC/ESPN).

Jones said the Cowboys hope to attract another college game in the future, though he didn’t provide details.

The stadium has already landed the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic, which is moving from Fair Park beginning in 2010.

Arkansas and A&M last played in 1991 before the Razorbacks left the Southwest Conference for the SEC.

Officials from both schools touted the recruiting and exposure benefits of playing in the Dallas area.

“It’s a new tradition we hope will last a long, long time,” Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long said.

Lotta stuff in there that makes it sound like they could figure out the 50/50 split. That really makes me wonder if it's 50/50 split of ALL tickets, or tickets remaining after Cowboys season ticket holders/ Suite owners get theirs.

King Crimson
3/10/2008, 03:50 PM
ATM doesn't want to play LSU, Arkansas would rather play Texas.

best line in the article is "similar perhaps".

goingoneight
3/10/2008, 10:08 PM
I still don't know why aggies think they're so original when stuff like this pops up...

Byrne said the schools will use the Oklahoma-Texas game as a gauge for prices. Arkansas and A&M will try to schedule the game around the first week of the State Fair.

Fraggle145
3/13/2008, 04:45 PM
Just means less hotels around OU/tx time. F'em.

colleyvillesooner
3/13/2008, 04:53 PM
IT will usually be the last weekend of September.

dw17
3/13/2008, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I wonder how much "guaging" that OU/tx will be doing on how a 50/50 split works in Jerryworld?

goingoneight
3/13/2008, 11:01 PM
OU/Texas and aTm/ArkPiggy will both be premier events. Granted... only one of them will be a National Championship contenders' spotlight game, but ArkPiggy and the Cult both have great fanbases.

Now, Tech and Orange Aggy... that "rivalry" copycat will be an embarassment to any stadium that holds more than 30,000 - 40,000. NTM it loses a lot of it's luster when Leach leaves.

Primo
3/13/2008, 11:18 PM
I could not find an A&M vs. Arkansas game mentioned for Dallas. A game in Arlington, in Tarrant County, yes. :D

colleyvillesooner
3/14/2008, 07:55 AM
What part of Arlington did you grow up in? ;)

TheUnnamedSooner
3/15/2008, 11:23 AM
I heard Dale Hansen talking about this on the radio the other day. He was actually saying "how do you think OU and Texas feel" about being stuck at the cotton bowl for so many more years. Also, he went on to say that because Arky/A&M was going to be a jerry would it would only be a couple years before it outstages the RRS...

Jacie
3/15/2008, 04:04 PM
I don't think OU or saxet "feel" anything. The Red River whatever-we-are-calling-it now is one of the premier rivalry games in college football and given that it is played on a neutral field with the state fair of Texas as a backdrop on the same weekend every year makes it unique. I have been to big games in other stadiums but have never witnessed anything like the Cotton Bowl with the down-the-center split of red/orange, having to stand for every play and the crowd is screaming nonstop (except during television timeouts). The aTm/arkie game has a long way to go in the tradition building department before it takes on the mystique, grandeur and spectacle of OU/saxet. I don't envy the fans of those schools at all considering they will be paying jerry prices for parking and concessions as well as tickets. Keep OUr game in the Cotton Bowl.

Go Sooners!

bluedogok
3/15/2008, 08:42 PM
Hansen IS and will always be a complete windbag moron.......

PLaw
3/16/2008, 09:21 AM
Hansen IS and will always be a complete windbag moron.......

hansen is a nebbish homer that has deep rooted hate issues with all things OU. The boner he carried around for THE KING is well documented.
As blind as some :texan: can be about issues in fagstin, hansen takes it to a whole new level with his Osborn man-crush. This OU hate issue has made hansen a good living in the largely t-sip slanted dfw market area. It's interesting how he never made it to the national stage.

So you think I have issues with hansen? You bet.

BOOMER

PLaw
3/16/2008, 09:27 AM
How literally stupid of the faggies. The Prarie View - Grambling game will be a bigger draw outside of the eATMe / hog market areas. If the faggies wanted to get there program back to where viewers outside of the Chicken gave a flip, then they would have attempted to get this deal done with LSU.

Of course with No. 1 Hog-man owning the stadium, it was probably more important have the sooooie's in Arlington than the faggies.

King Crimson
3/16/2008, 09:56 AM
it'll be good TV and a real "cultural event". much better than the Tech-ATM "Dallas neutral site" series that was being talked about on Aggie sites....which would have been Lame-o-saurus Rex from a RRS perspective.

badger
3/16/2008, 10:11 AM
Anyone else surprised A&M gave up a home game? They've refused other attempts at taking games away from College Station for years!

Texas - Texas A&M? Still home and home.
Texas A&M - Texas Tech? Still home and home.

I really thought their athletic department was all about the stupid aggie spirit and 12th man experience and blah blah blah aggie aggie aggie. How could they possibly not demand a big opponent come to the sea of maroon or whatever the hell they call it?

It makes perfect sense to have their annual rivalries at a neutral site, but they've said no because of their oh my gawd tradition (and the athletic department wants more money).

Well, good to see Texas and Oklahoma have stayed true to college football and haven't given up a century-old site in the name of the almighty dollar. Of course, we could hold that game anywhere (Hawaii, anyone?) and it would still be as big of a deal as ever.

HBick
3/17/2008, 03:20 AM
I have been to big games in other stadiums but have never witnessed anything like the Cotton Bowl with the down-the-center split of red/orange, having to stand for every play and the crowd is screaming nonstop (except during television timeouts).

Then you my friend, need to experience the world's biggest cocktail party. The UGA/FL rivalry is a very interesting thing, and I would compare it to the Red River Shootout (screw Rivalry, shootout sounds better)

TexasLidig8r
3/17/2008, 09:08 AM
Texas vs. OU is like, Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron in a nude, jello wrestling match.

aggy - pigs is like Rosie O'Donnell and Kathy Bates in a mud rasslin match.

There just ain't a comparison.

King Crimson
3/17/2008, 10:32 AM
Texas vs. OU is like, Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron in a nude, jello wrestling match.

can't argue with that.

badger
3/17/2008, 10:55 AM

Lid, I'm glad we didn't get around to basketball betting this year :D

As long as we're talking about aggies and pigs, let's make a more valid comparison...

OU-Texas is like Toby Keith arm wrestling Matthew McConaghey and of course we win :)

Aggie-Piggie is like the Listeater interning for Bill Clinton :eek:

Tear Down This Wall
3/17/2008, 03:58 PM
No biggie. The OU-Texas game will eventually be moved there as well. All it will take now is for DeLoss Dodd to decide how to back out on his deal with the City of Dallas. Joe Castiglione just does whatever Dodd says, which is why we're stuck at the Cotton Bowl again in the first place.

The other option is for DeLoss to go ahead and just say, "We're going home-and-home from now on, Joe."

And Joe will say, "Okay, that's fine with me. Let me tell David Boren. Can I still stand on the sideline in Austin like I do in Norman and Austin?"

DeLoss: "Well, I guess, so...but no Toby Keith down here! We've got so many half-as$sed faux country musicians in Texas already, we don't need one from Oklahoma piling on!"

Joe: "Yes, sir. I'll tell him."

DeLoss: "Ship me some more of that coffee."

Joe: "Would you like some sugar and cream, too? I think a can filch a bag of each out of the cafeteria."

DeLoss: "Great!"

Joe: "Well, do you want me to call you sometime?"

DeLoss: "No. Never call here. Whenever I decide I want the Big 12 to do, I'll call all-a ya'll...except that horses-as$s Tom Osborne. I can't believe I've got to deal with him again. Oh well, hope he has fun being outvoted 11-1 again."

Joe: "How's your family?"

DeLoss: "I've got to run now, Joe. We're meeting with Red, Tom, and Jamail to try to see how to save Roger Clemens. It's easy to push around...er... I mean... work with you all in the Big 12. Congress is another story. These guys will be harder to bribe. But, if anyone has the cash to bail out Roger, it's those three guys."

TexasLidig8r
3/17/2008, 04:23 PM
No biggie. The OU-Texas game will eventually be moved there as well. All it will take now is for DeLoss Dodd to decide how to back out on his deal with the City of Dallas. Joe Castiglione just does whatever Dodd says, which is why we're stuck at the Cotton Bowl again in the first place.

The other option is for DeLoss to go ahead and just say, "We're going home-and-home from now on, Joe."

And Joe will say, "Okay, that's fine with me. Let me tell David Boren. Can I still stand on the sideline in Austin like I do in Norman and Austin?"

DeLoss: "Well, I guess, so...but no Toby Keith down here! We've got so many half-as$sed faux country musicians in Texas already, we don't need one from Oklahoma piling on!"

Joe: "Yes, sir. I'll tell him."

DeLoss: "Ship me some more of that coffee."

Joe: "Would you like some sugar and cream, too? I think a can filch a bag of each out of the cafeteria."

DeLoss: "Great!"

Joe: "Well, do you want me to call you sometime?"

DeLoss: "No. Never call here. Whenever I decide I want the Big 12 to do, I'll call all-a ya'll...except that horses-as$s Tom Osborne. I can't believe I've got to deal with him again. Oh well, hope he has fun being outvoted 11-1 again."

Joe: "How's your family?"

DeLoss: "I've got to run now, Joe. We're meeting with Red, Tom, and Jamail to try to see how to save Roger Clemens. It's easy to push around...er... I mean... work with you all in the Big 12. Congress is another story. These guys will be harder to bribe. But, if anyone has the cash to bail out Roger, it's those three guys."

Well done.:D

oh.. I thought Boren was your AD?

snp
3/17/2008, 05:04 PM
Bacon and Ags Rivalry

Anyone else surprised A&M gave up a home game? They've refused other attempts at taking games away from College Station for years!

Texas - Texas A&M? Still home and home.
Texas A&M - Texas Tech? Still home and home.

No, neither Tech nor Texas is interested in moving the Aggie game to a neutral site. A&M isn't interested in moving a conference game to a neutral site either.

HBick
3/18/2008, 02:50 AM
No, neither Tech nor Texas is interested in moving the Aggie game to a neutral site. A&M isn't interested in moving a conference game to a neutral site either.

that makes perfecet sense. Texas likes the revenue they get for home games, makes sense since they already have that with ou.

Taco Tech on the other hand likes their home games, otherwise that'd be one less game they get to throw ink on the visiting team.

TexasLidig8r
3/18/2008, 10:11 AM
But, there are news reports circulating that Okie Lite and sand aggy are about to announce a 10 year contract to play at Jerry's World beginning in 2009.

Statalyzer
3/18/2008, 10:14 AM
Arkansas and A&M will try to schedule the game around the first week of the State Fair.

That makes sense - the JV game is supposed to be played before the Varsity conteset.