PDA

View Full Version : I've finally got a congressman...

Ike
3/10/2008, 09:22 AM
Since Denny resigned, we've been un-represented in congress...Now Hastert's seat has gone to a democrat.

Considering the people running, this really is the best we could have sent to Washington. The other guy makes damn good ice cream but not a lick of sense.

But this is only for the next 8 months or so.

In November, it's gonna be the same two guys on the ballot.

On the plus side, maybe having Foster there will help get funding back to the lab.

OklahomaTuba
3/10/2008, 09:36 AM
Congrats!

People love to spin elections like this as if they some how hint at future elections nationally. Never really works out though, as politics is always local, even the national contests.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/10/2008, 09:37 AM
I am shocked!

I would suspect they thought the seat was so Repub that an early exit would have gar-an-teed another repub. Sounds (from NPR) the repub was campaigning very stupidly.

The demos for that district must have changed drastically.

Ike
3/10/2008, 09:42 AM
Congrats!

People love to spin elections like this as if they some how hint at future elections nationally. Never really works out though, as politics is always local, even the national contests.

It is local. Being a district with a huge national lab that does a hell of a lot of business in the area, that also just had its funding cut...it was likely that the guy who used to work at the lab would win. (even though a lot of people here believe we were screwed by the democrats on that one...which is partially true)

If the republicans had put up someone that was maybe capable of campaigning on issues other than "uh oh, I'm running against a democrat, and that automagically means that he's for raising taxes, so vote for me because I'm not" or "The immigrants are comming to take your jobs!!!", then they might have had a chance at holding the seat.

Ike
3/10/2008, 09:44 AM
I am shocked!

I would suspect they thought the seat was so Repub that an early exit would have gar-an-teed another repub. Sounds (from NPR) the repub was campaigning very stupidly.

The demos for that district must have changed drastically.

This isn't the first time Oberweis has run for congress...altho it's the first time he's run for this seat. He has a long record of being rather moon-bat-ish.