PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Made the Digg front page!

Sooner_Havok
3/10/2008, 01:32 AM
For this story,Hooray? :confused: (http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/03/09/oklahoma-state-rep-goes-on-anti-gay-tirade/)

LilSooner
3/10/2008, 06:08 AM
Yeah unfortunately it was also on perezhilton.com.

soonerhubs
3/10/2008, 08:32 AM
Wow! That was an extremely bigoted tirade that she went on.

sooner n houston
3/10/2008, 08:50 AM
Wow what a great site! If you don't agree with their left wing philosophy your post are deleted and you are banned! A real life example of freedom of speech for the left! :D

TheHumanAlphabet
3/10/2008, 09:51 AM
Wow what a great site! If you don't agree with their left wing philosophy your post are deleted and you are banned! A real life example of freedom of speech for the left! :D

That's what I figured. "tolerance" is only "their" way...

Viking Kitten
3/10/2008, 12:09 PM
Heh. She represents District 84 in Oklahoma City, which is the district just south of Bethany, and the district just west of the 39th and Penn area.

She's literally at the corner of Lesbian and Fabulous.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/10/2008, 01:30 PM
Heh. She represents District 84 in Oklahoma City, which is the district just south of Bethany, and the district just west of the 39th and Penn area.

She's literally at the corner of Lesbian and Fabulous.

But represents Bethany and the home of Southern Nazarene University. I bet she isn't too far off the way the people in her district - that vote - thinks.

achiro
3/10/2008, 01:49 PM
She was interviewed last night and claimed that they had pieced together the clip to make it look like she was just going off on gays. I don't know, haven't seen it, "ain't" gonna go to the link.

SoonerTerry
3/10/2008, 02:32 PM
There are some real winners over there

yermom
3/10/2008, 03:19 PM
and we make the front page again...

http://digg.com/space/Creationists_can_t_fail_Earth_Science_Oklahoma?OTC-ig

Okla-homey
3/10/2008, 04:55 PM
Okay. It was insensitive and she's a maroon for saying that stuff. That said, why is any public statement by anyone that is less than accepting of that lifestyle considered per se hate speech?

I mean look, we either have the freedom to believe what we want or we don't. Frankly, I'm pretty damn tired of seeing people get painted as Hitler-grade "haters" just because they happen to oppose a particular theory and/or school of thought and have the temerity to admit it. sheesh.

StoopTroup
3/10/2008, 05:02 PM
I hope Perez is OK.

GrapevineSooner
3/10/2008, 05:15 PM
Okay. It was insensitive and she's a maroon for saying that stuff. That said, why is any public statement by anyone that is less than accepting of that lifestyle considered per se hate speech?

I mean look, we either have the freedom to believe what we want or we don't. Frankly, I'm pretty damn tired of seeing people get painted as Hitler-grade "haters" just because they happen to oppose a particular theory and/or school of thought and have the temerity to admit it. sheesh.

Yep.

While I don't necessarily share her sentiments, I don't think what she said could be construed as hate speech.

The idiots issuing death threats against her are more bigoted and less tolerant that she is, IMO.

GrapevineSooner
3/10/2008, 05:17 PM

If only that edict had been thrown down while I was in high school. :D

Sooner_Havok
3/10/2008, 05:21 PM

I think you should also have to add in the parts about the beer volcano and the midgets, just to prove you know your stuff :D

Sooner_Havok
3/10/2008, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I agree that people should be entitled to their own beliefs and should be able to say what the feel, but they also need to be ready when people don't agree with what they said. Those who oppose what she said have every right to express their beliefs and say what they think about her philosophy. The death threats (first I heard of this) are way off base however. I just don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over someone else's lifestyle or beliefs. If you think they are "damed to hell" for what they do, then be happy with the thought that God will smite them down some day. I don't see why acceptance is such a bad thing. I accept that some people worship Jesus, some people worship Ala, and some people worship Brahma, I may think they are all wrong, but that doesn't mean I come out and attack them for what they believe. What right do I have as a mere mortal to question someone else's belief system? No mere mortal could ever hope to fully understand an omnipotent being's thinking, so why pretend that we can?

Eh, Sometimes people are way to sensitive to stuff though.

GrapevineSooner
3/10/2008, 05:40 PM
some people worship Jesus, some people worship Ala

Exactly.

What's wrong with being a fanatical Crimson Tide fan? ;)

Sooner_Havok
3/10/2008, 05:47 PM
Exactly.

YOU ARE WRONG, THERE IS ONLY ONE FOOTBALL TEAM YA IDGIT, THE OU SOONERS!!!!!1:D :D

and BTW, GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!1

StoopTroup
3/10/2008, 06:21 PM
Exactly.

It's just weird when a guy that has been wearing Bear Apparel suddenly leaves and goes to a school where a Bear put the Football team on the map.

yermom
3/10/2008, 09:18 PM

a greater threat than Islam or terrorism? really?

next she's going to suggest an island...

M
3/10/2008, 09:39 PM
Yes, thank you, Sally Kern. Thanks for these bigoted, backward remarks that have made their way onto YouTube, PerezHilton.com and other sites that get millions of hits every day. You have just handed us a prime example of why the entire world thinks that Oklahomans are a bunch of ignorant rednecks.

Czar Soonerov
3/10/2008, 09:44 PM
Eddie Sutton & Mike Gundy haven't helped much either!

Okla-homey
3/11/2008, 06:51 AM
Yes, thank you, Sally Kern. Thanks for these bigoted, backward remarks that have made their way onto YouTube, PerezHilton.com and other sites that get millions of hits every day. You have just handed us a prime example of why the entire world thinks that Oklahomans are a bunch of ignorant rednecks.

Actually, I respectfullty suggest only the openly ghey and fabulous part of the entire world thinks we're ignorant rednecks. The folks who are creeped out by ghey-ness probably don't have a problem with her comments and may indeed even be sending her e-mails, cards and letters stating their support.

One other thing thing gets me though. Borrowing from Bill Shakespeare; "Methinks [Ms. Kern] doth protest too much." Thus, like the publicly anti-ghey Larry Craig, she could be a saying this stuff while secretly doing Craig-esque rest room Morse Code and the tapping toes ;)

Viking Kitten
3/11/2008, 07:23 AM
One other thing thing gets me though. Borrowing from Bill Shakespeare; "Methinks [Ms. Kern] doth protest too much." Thus, like the publicly anti-ghey Larry Craig, she could be a saying this stuff while secretly doing Craig-esque rest room Morse Code and the tapping toes ;)

I have to be very careful about what I say here. So I will only comment that the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw Rep. Kern was that she certainly... looks like... a woman who wears comfortable shoes.

soonerhubs
3/11/2008, 08:02 AM
I don't see why acceptance is such a bad thing. I accept that some people worship Jesus, some people worship Ala, and some people worship Brahma, I may think they are all wrong, but that doesn't mean I come out and attack them for what they believe.

Some people even go to Oklahoma State University. ;) :) :D

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 09:24 PM
... and regarding the dangers of gays in America...a bit of a "black eye" for the State of Oklahoma...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFxk7glmMbo

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 09:30 PM
...what do you think an embarrassment or great statements ??? I think it is embarrassing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFxk7glmMbo

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the merge, I looked but did not find the other thread...

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/11/2008, 09:34 PM
Here it is!

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 09:35 PM
thanks

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 09:49 PM
I hope this blows over because it is an embarrassment to Oklahoma...

Sooner_Havok
3/11/2008, 09:57 PM
I hope this blows over because it is an embarrassment to Oklahoma...

Yeah, and the last thing this state needs is more embarrassment.

MR2-Sooner86
3/11/2008, 10:10 PM
wow, what ****ing retards some people are. We have evolved to a point were we do not need religion nor gods anymore. ANyone who still believes in this **** and dedicates their lives to worshiping some fictitious being does not deserve to be tolerated, does not deserve to be taken seriously and should be locked in a mental institution

You can tell they're so loving over there. Got to love liberals.

jdsooner
3/12/2008, 09:51 PM
A graduate of the University of Texas who doesn't like gays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPB7bTdz2xQ

http://www.okhouse.gov/Committees/Member.aspx?MemberID=87

Sooner_Havok
3/12/2008, 09:53 PM
merge (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109330)

olevetonahill
3/12/2008, 09:55 PM
i dont like :texan: s
aint that the same thing ?

Rhino
3/14/2008, 11:27 AM
HBzTWcTwJJM

Chuck Bao
3/15/2008, 08:48 AM
Heh! Good on Ellen and good on you.

The whole "ought to die" thing is a good thing to know.

State Investigates Kern's Threatening E-mails

The Oklahoma State Board of Investigation is examining the 7,000 e-mails and voice-mail messages that Rep. Sally Kern received after a recording was released of a speech she made that called homosexuality worse than terrorism. The audio, by the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, has had 827,000 hits on YouTube as of Thursday afternoon.

While it was initially reported that some correspondence she has received has contained death threats, investigators are finding that the actual messages have been embellished, according to the Tulsa World newspaper.

OSBI spokeswoman Jessica Brown said that a fellow lawmaker suggested they go through the e-mails because of their threatening nature. She said that she wouldn't characterize the messages as death threats as they say, "You ought to die," rather than "I am going to kill you."

Three OSBI agents are analyzing the messages and interviewing some of the senders to assess their intent. Some may be referred to the district attorney for prosecution, according to the report.

Kern said in her speech that same-sex relationships are the "death knell of this country" and that the government wants to indoctrinate children as young as 2 to believe that homosexuality is acceptable. She also warned that city governments across the country are being taken over by gays.

Victory Fund president Chuck Wolfe wrote an open letter to Kern, explaining that her words have heavy implications.

"What you said is not OK, but that’s not because most sensible people disagree with it," he wrote. "It’s because your words give aid and comfort to those who would hurt, maim, and even kill people who are different from you. Comparing gays and lesbians to cancer and terrorism and saying they are the 'biggest threat to America' gives license to others to treat us that way, especially given the leadership position you hold in your community."

He also wrote that the Victory Fund made her speech public to point out to people that "even elected leaders like you are saying some nasty and potentially dangerous things about your fellow citizens." Wolfe mentioned the murders of Matthew Shepard, Lawrence King, and 62-year-old Steve Domer, who was killed in Oklahoma in the fall.

SoonerInKCMO
3/15/2008, 01:35 PM
Actually, I respectfullty suggest only the openly ghey and fabulous part of the entire world thinks we're ignorant rednecks.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

If my readings of the editorial pages in the Seattle papers are any indication, pretty much everyone thinks Oklahomans are ignorant rednecks. ;)