PDA

View Full Version : Torn meniscus's or menisci??

Turd_Ferguson
3/9/2008, 10:52 PM
I know there's some hillbilly's in here that's had'em.....what's the best pain relief medicine until surgery? The Doc has me on Meloxicam....it ain't touch'n ****. I'm about ready to take a poulan to my upper thigh....I can't take anything that's gonna muss me up during work hours. I have a project I have to comlete in the next 12-13 days. Help..:mad:

sooner_born_1960
3/9/2008, 11:01 PM
So, you want to be in pain during work hours?

Viking Kitten
3/9/2008, 11:01 PM
I have heard that for some people it works to combine tylenol and ibuprofen for very effective, non-loopy pain relief. I have to be honest though, when I tried that after a particularly bad root canal, it didn't do jack ****. Which sucks, because me being loopy at work is not a good thing.

Is your pain tolerance normally high or low?

Turd_Ferguson
3/9/2008, 11:05 PM
I have heard that for some people it works to combine tylenol and ibuprofen for very effective, non-loopy pain relief. I have to be honest though, when I tried that after a particularly bad root canal, it didn't do jack ****. Which sucks, because me being loopy at work is not a good thing.

Is your pain tolerance normally high or low?I think it's high...and this knee is kick'n my ***. My wife think's I'm being a *****. I'm bout ready to pull a Nancy Kerrigan on her ***:O

Turd_Ferguson
3/9/2008, 11:06 PM
So, you want to be in pain during work hours?I ain't had much choice SB. I can't find anything to help.

Viking Kitten
3/9/2008, 11:10 PM
I think it's high...and this knee is kick'n my ***. My wife think's I'm being a *****. I'm bout ready to pull a Nancy Kerrigan on her ***:O

Eh, try it and see. I'm a big wus when it comes to pain, so it makes sense I gotta go straight for the heavy stuff. It's all about the Lortab and benadryl, baby.

sooner_born_1960
3/9/2008, 11:14 PM
My guess is that anything that works is going to leave you loopy. So, take something strong to let you sleep, then tough it out during the day.

Turd_Ferguson
3/9/2008, 11:16 PM
Eh, try it and see. I'm a big wus when it comes to pain, so it makes sense I gotta go straight for the heavy stuff. It's all about the Lortab and benadryl, baby.I think I will. However, my liver may not be too happy. But heh, I'm will'n to give up a vital organ for a bum knee.:D

Viking Kitten
3/9/2008, 11:20 PM
My dentist suggested two tylenol, wait two hours, two ibuprofen.

Viking Kitten
3/9/2008, 11:21 PM
I should reiterate this did absolutely nothing for me.

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2008, 11:42 PM
Meniscuses.

StoopTroup
3/9/2008, 11:48 PM
I'm sure your in lots of pain if you tore it.

The therapists tell me to put this Arnica Gel on my knee area to help with the PT pain. Mix that with the Liquid Advil Gels during working hours and it might help you through it until you can get home and take something stronger.

Sorry to hear TF.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wz6O2ryYL._AA280_.jpg

StoopTroup
3/9/2008, 11:51 PM
I don't think taping up the knee will help with a menicus tear either but you might check with a good sports medicine guy.

tommieharris91
3/10/2008, 12:13 AM
I know there's some hillbilly's in here that's had'em.....what's the best pain relief medicine until surgery? The Doc has me on Meloxicam....it ain't touch'n ****. I'm about ready to take a poulan to my upper thigh....I can't take anything that's gonna muss me up during work hours. I have a project I have to comlete in the next 12-13 days. Help..:mad:

Ask Blake Griffin and Alex Brown.

pott_2
3/10/2008, 12:26 AM
Any anti-inflamitory will work. I just had the surgery a few months ago. I was taking celebrex(sp).

BajaOklahoma
3/10/2008, 04:03 AM
Are you taking 7.5 or 15 mg? Ask if you can take the higher dose.
Tell the doctor that you are having to take advil during the day - see if they will change the med. Mobic seems to be the drug of choice now that vioxx is off the market. Celebrex doesn't work for everyone.
You have to be very careful taking high doses of anti-inflammatories. Both your liver and heart are susceptible to damage.

Have you tried ice? I have a Artic Ice machine - continuous ice water flows through tubing to a pad that I am putting on my shoulder. As much as I hate cold, it is wonderful. You can get them on eBay or ask the doctor for one - they charge around 10 or 15 dollars a day to rent one or buy it for under a hundred.

texas bandman
3/10/2008, 02:17 PM
Meloxicam is in the same class of drugs as Ibuprofen. When I had my knee surgery Lortabs did the trick, but I went into withdrawal when I came off them too quick. I now know why drug addicts want to keep taking them. WITHDRAWAL SUCKS!!

texas bandman
3/10/2008, 02:23 PM
And the surgery for my torn meniscus didn't work too well. Right after the surgery my doctor said I'd need a knee replacement. My knee gives me more problems now than it ever did pre-surgery. I'm still putting off the knee replacement. My body didn't handle the anesthetic too well. (My BP dropped to 60/20 post op.) All I know was that everyone was running around and they pumped lots of stuff in me to raise my BP. I'm not sure I want to do that again.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/10/2008, 02:28 PM
i went about a month and a half after tearing mine before sugery..loritab does nothing to me so i took it..ibuprofen 800 s as well

Petro-Sooner
3/10/2008, 06:32 PM
I feel for ya man. Thats a pain I dont wish on anyone. Seems everytime the weather changes I can feel where it tore. Beer helped me through it.

Turd_Ferguson
4/2/2008, 06:53 AM
Coffee & Lortab.....best breakfeast evar.:D Got the scope done yesterday and already feel better. I think the anysteesyologist tried to remove my tongue when she intubated me:mad:

OU4LIFE
4/2/2008, 07:20 AM
I'm sure things have changed in 20 years, but back inna day, there wasn't much you could do for the pain.

I hope it gets better for you man.