PDA

View Full Version : Leukemia knowledgeable people...

Okla-homey
3/9/2008, 07:23 PM
serious question. A highly regarded member of the TU law school faculty succumbed this weekend. She was diagnosed with leukemia last month. Question: Assuming this was a particularly virulent form of this scourge of mankind; is that form common?

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2008, 11:58 PM
My nephew was diagnosed with Leukemia several years ago. He was very fortunate to be living in Arizona at the time and got superb care at the University of Arizona Oncology Department, where the world's foremost expert on his particular type of Leukemia (Philadelphia Syndrome) was in residence.

Anyhow, which form of leukemia did she have?

yermom
3/10/2008, 12:08 AM
well, it's also, how was it detected?

i mean it was already so bad that it was causing other problems that sent them to the doctor, it might have just been really far along or something

Okla-homey
3/10/2008, 06:38 AM
My nephew was diagnosed with Leukemia several years ago. He was very fortunate to be living in Arizona at the time and got superb care at the University of Arizona Oncology Department, where the world's foremost expert on his particular type of Leukemia (Philadelphia Syndrome) was in residence.

Anyhow, which form of leukemia did she have?

I don't know, but it was obviously the "run over you like Rufus Alexander" kind. I'm going to try to make her memorial service Thursday where perhaps I'll find out.

OUDoc
3/10/2008, 08:14 AM
As you get older, CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) is more common, if memory serves. But it's like it says, chronic and people usually live a while with it. There are several other forms, including acute types, that would be more deadly. Kids more commonly get AML.
I think I just used up all my knowledge of leukemia (assuming what I just told you was correct). I send my patients to a hematologist at that point.

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2008, 08:55 AM
That's as much as I know as well.

Grandmother died from CLL, and a baby of a co-worker's daughter died of AML, not too long after the received the diagnosis. Nasty stuff.