PDA

View Full Version : Terrelle Pryor's Brhavior Leaves Much to be Desired

SoCal
3/9/2008, 06:22 PM
Sorry if this has been posted.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/10824-College_Football-Ohio_State_Football-Penn_State_Football-Terrelle_Pryor_s_Behavior_Leaves_Much_To_Be_Desire d-240208

I made the three-hour bus trip from State College to Pittsburgh for the weekend, excited to see my brother’s basketball team take on the highly-ranked Jeannette Jayhawks in the second round of the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League (WPIAL) playoffs.

And, of course, I wanted to see Terrelle Pryor with my own eyes.

For months, I had heard about the 6-foot-6-inch quarterback from Jeannette High School who could run the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds. The talk increased when he decided not to sign a Letter of Intent on National Signing Day.

A true athlete, Pryor had been dominating on the basketball court, while waiting to make a decision on which college he would attend. It seemed to be the general consensus that Pryor’s decision to take more time to pick a college was a good sign for Penn State.

On Feb. 16, I arrived at the Baldwin High School gymnasium with my family and the families of my brother’s teammates at about 10:30 a.m. for a noon tip-off. Spectators started filtering in shortly after, anticipating a sell-out crowd.

The South Fayette fans saw a hard-fought game, worth every penny of the $6 they paid to spectate. Both sides played their hearts out through four periods and overtime. In Pryor, they saw a tremendous athlete—fast, strong, and agile.

They also saw one of the most disgusting and, quite frankly, disappointing displays of unsportsmanlike behavior they’d ever witnessed. It started before the tip-off and lasted well after the final buzzer.

He never properly was rebuked for it by the refs or by his own coach. Perhaps it was because he is considered by many to be the Prince of the WPIAL, the Duke of High School Sports, or the Lord of Gridiron.

In any case, I can’t remember when athletic prowess became a free pass to act like a jerk.

Pryor taunted the South Fayette players/coaches with a condescending laugh as they filed into the gym for the pregame shoot-around.

His Royal Highness then took time out of his warm-up to threaten the South Fayette student section, comprised of no more than 50 students, one of whom was dressed like Ohio State football head coach Jim Tressel.

“I’m going to kill you, motherf*ckers. I’ll see you after the game."

At the end of warm-ups, Pryor threw a basketball into the student section, where it hit an elementary school student.

Although he was quite busy with a basketball game, he was kind enough to take the time to repeat this threat at the student section throughout the game.

As the starting lineups were called, all of the players shook the opposing coach’s hand—except Pryor. He pulled his hand away and turned his head as South Fayette coach Rich Bonnaure reached out to shake it.

On the court, Pryor scored 24 points and had 21 rebounds. He also used a variety of racial slurs against the player guarding him.

After the game, the teams lined up for the usual postgame handshakes. Pryor went down the line and said, “You f*cking suck” to all the South Fayette players.

He then went over to the South Fayette student section and continued his threat of bodily harm and invited them to meet him in the hallway after the game, until a Whitehall policeman told him to stop, and his teammates finally pulled him away.

It is disturbing behavior for such a highly-touted recruit.

Two South Fayette students were ejected from the game for swearing at the refs. Shouldn’t the players be held to the same standard of behavior, if not a higher one? I have attended dozens of high school basketball games, but I have never seen another player’s behavior even closely resemble that of Pryor’s that day.

Perhaps more disturbing than Pryor’s behavior was the fact that his coaches and the referees allowed it to continue.

As lifelong Penn State fans, my family and I were very disappointed by what we saw in Pryor that weekend.

Pryor is obviously an amazing athlete. Everything that has been said about his speed and strength has not been exaggerated. Yesterday, in the WPIAL championship game against Beaver Falls, Pryor came up with 39 points, 24 rebounds, 10 blocked shots, and 6 assists. The win came just two months after Pryor led Jeannette’s football team to a state championship.

His behavior, however, leaves much to be desired. We can only hope that it is not too late for Pryor to learn some humility and decorum in college.

Big Red Ron
3/9/2008, 07:04 PM
Meh, anyone stupid enough to go to Penn State shouldn't have much expected of them.

adoniijahsooner
3/9/2008, 09:45 PM
Is this post for real?

Watch Me Stride
3/9/2008, 09:58 PM
A fight reportedly broke out after the game and Terrelle was involved.

goingoneight
3/9/2008, 09:59 PM
What's a 'brhavior?'

KingDavid
3/9/2008, 11:17 PM
Story is obviously embellished. I read elsewhere that the students at this game were taunting him heavily.

StoopTroup
3/9/2008, 11:59 PM
There's nothing like a good rivalry IMO. :D

DangTire
3/10/2008, 04:14 AM
Whether he was being taunted by the student section or not and if this story has any validity to it at all Michael Vick better move his stuff over because there's another ****** bag getting ready to join him. And everyone with any authority at all present at that game who stood by and did nothing should be pistol whipped and fired for being incompetent twits.

oudivesherpa
3/10/2008, 06:55 AM
Someone needs to tell this guy, if he's going to play with the big boys he needs to grow up. How many cases do we have of players buring out not because they couldn't play but because they were jerks?

badger
3/10/2008, 08:26 AM
Ok, I looked up the original post, and there are more than 200 comments back, mostly saying that this guy is full of crap. He gave a one-sided account (their words, not mine) of the situation, which was mostly about players and students taunting him and calling him racial slurs, which was what caused certain students to be ejected.

We've all seen it, likely - whenever another team has a star, who do you taunt? You certainly don't go after the bench boys! One of our conference players had this All-Conference First Teamer with the first name "J.C." Being the nice high school that we were and all (I was not present at this game), our students chanted "JUICY CRABS! JUICY CRABS!"

...so, it's high school. Most students don't have something to look forward to like this recruit does, so they are going to make him earn it.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/10/2008, 08:31 AM
Quoting the great philosopher, "Meh".

starrca23
3/10/2008, 09:08 AM
Reminds me of a former tulsa area football player that got in some trouble at a basketball game. Ironic that P. Elliot is on the cover of the Tulsa World sports page today.

illinisooner
3/10/2008, 11:46 AM
Even if the fans are taunting and using racial slurs...there's no reason for Pryor to return the favor. That just fuels the fire, and any athlete knows that, and Pryor should expect lots of taunting every time he takes the court. Of course, the students who did that were rightfully ejected, there's no call for that. But throwing the ball into the student section, not shaking hands with the players, etc...that's ridiculous. It's classless and unsportsmanlike. Even if it was a one sided account of what happened, I doubt the players on the other team were as vulgar and unsportsmanlike as he was.

CK Sooner
3/10/2008, 11:53 AM
I’m going to kill you, motherf*ckers. I’ll see you after the game.

Sounds like Micheal Vicks little brother.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/10/2008, 12:16 PM
Sounds like Micheal Vicks little brother.

Michael Vick would just say it to dogs

Crimson Kid
3/10/2008, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a cocky little brat.

freshchris05
3/10/2008, 02:38 PM
this whole story is bullsh!t... fwiw

MichiganSooner
3/10/2008, 07:49 PM
I read about this on the Detroit Free Press web site sometime last month. (same game?). He was taunted heavily by the opponent's fans and he reacted to the taunting. Your story seems to be somewhat embellished.

Bccajun
3/10/2008, 07:50 PM
More to it.
"According to what one officer said into his walkie-talkie, the physically aggressive South Fayette student was being detained in a room at the school, and his day was minutes away from getting worse.

That’s when a Jeannette assistant exited the Jayhawks’ locker and complained about the conduct of the South Fayette students. That’s something he had a right to do.

One officer, however, did not appreciate the direction of the conversation. He was present when Pryor accosted the South Fayette fans.

“You’re lucky we didn’t take your kid (Pryor) in,” the officer said. “He threatened to go into the crowd.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/kovakstory/02-17-08-kovak-column

BC

Curly Bill
3/10/2008, 07:56 PM
I heard that after the game he caught some of the opponents fans in the parking lot and strangled like two dozen of them with his bare hands. ;)

freshchris05
3/10/2008, 08:50 PM
I heard that after the game he caught some of the opponents fans in the parking lot and strangled like two dozen of them with his bare hands. ;)

and then... beat up an elderly couple:( shame..

tommieharris91
3/10/2008, 09:11 PM
and then... beat up an elderly couple:( shame..

And then he went home and drowned some puppies and kittens just for the fun of it. :eek: