PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to make Jeff Capel

soonerguild
3/9/2008, 02:18 PM
a millionaire?

How much of a raise do you think Capel deserves after this year and last year. Or should I say how much do you think we should pay him to make him feel like he is really wanted. Rumor has it south carolina offered him 1.5 million and he said no. That is more than twice what he makes now. I have a feeling he is about to get paid!

badger
3/9/2008, 04:24 PM
I have a feeling we are about to make a solid run at the NCAA :D

Dio
3/9/2008, 05:33 PM
How much of a raise do you think Capel deserves after this year and last year.

However much it takes to keep him here.

I have a feeling we are about to make a solid run at the NCAA

Same here

Vegas Sooner
3/9/2008, 05:39 PM
yes

princetonsooner
3/9/2008, 06:55 PM
I concur,best to happen to Sooner Basketball!

stoopified
3/9/2008, 06:56 PM
Pay the man.

tulsaoilerfan
3/9/2008, 08:11 PM
Capel is a great fit; whatever he's making should be increased to make sure he isn't inclined to look elsewhere

tommieharris91
3/9/2008, 08:35 PM
I'm sure that, if the team turned a profit this year or is expected to turn a profit next year, that he will earn a raise higher than what other coaches get. I have heard that there will be more interest in OU men's basketball next year mostly based on this year's team (especially if Blake comes back), so if that happens, he should earn a modest raise.

sooner2b09
3/9/2008, 09:37 PM
Fran Fraschilla thinks so too

3. Good Selection Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione took a calculated gamble when he hired young VCU coach Jeff Capel two years ago. Capel, a terrific player for Mike Krzyzewski at Duke, was the youngest head coach in the country when he was hired at VCU. Four years later, he was snapped up by Oklahoma. Remember, Castiglione also hired Bob Stoops when he was Steve Spurrier's defensive coordinator at Florida.

At the time, I likened the hiring of Capel to drafting a high school player in the first round of the NBA draft. Potentially, Capel had "star" written all over him, but he had not yet proved he could coach in a league such as the Big 12. Right now, it's looking as if Castigione has drafted LeBron James.

Forget the 21 wins and the likely NCAA bid. What has impressed me the most has been Capel's crisis management skills. Hubie Brown used to say, "The notoriety of a coach is directly proportional to his team's execution under pressure." Upon being hired, Capel endured the loss of rising stars Scottie Reynolds and Damion James, who bolted for Villanova and Texas after signing with then-Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson. With the returning cast, those two guys would have had the Sooners a top-15 team a year ago.

This season, Capel lost his two leading scorers, Blake Griffin and Longar Longar, for two games each in conference play and went 2-2. With Griffin out with a knee injury on Wednesday, the Sooners won at rival Oklahoma State, which was coming off its best stretch of the season.

Capel has a quiet confidence and relates well to his players. It's obvious. What's also obvious is that Oklahoma has a gem and might have to ward off potential suitors such as South Carolina this offseason. My feeling is that Capel might be about to get a raise at Oklahoma.

link to full article: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/weeklywatch018

bri
3/9/2008, 09:43 PM
I'm sure that, if the team turned a profit this year or is expected to turn a profit next year, that he will earn a raise higher than what other coaches get. I have heard that there will be more interest in OU men's basketball next year mostly based on this year's team (especially if Blake comes back), so if that happens, he should earn a modest raise.

Well, since we're looking at making some sweet tourney coin and we saved overhead by wearing Ohio State's extra gray unis this year, turning a profit shouldn't be a problem. :D

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2008, 11:13 PM
Yes, he should be paid. But I would wait to see what happens after the season.

soonerguild
3/9/2008, 11:34 PM
Personally I think we should make a statement with this next raise, something that A) lets the rest of the world know that at least our administration is serious about basketball, and B) lets Coach Capel know that our administration is serious about basketball. I think we have a built-in loyalty being the school that gave him his "big shot" but that only goes so far.

I think something like 1.2 million.

StoopTroup
3/9/2008, 11:56 PM
I say we should give him a little salary bump once he brings home the National Championship. ;)

GottaHavePride
3/9/2008, 11:57 PM
his raise should be proportional to how much lower his phone bill is.

;)

Jimminy Crimson
3/10/2008, 12:02 AM
I think he'll probably get something around 1.333 or 1.475.

soonerguild
3/10/2008, 12:05 AM
I think he'll probably get something around 1.333 or 1.475.

We can only hope!

tommieharris91
3/10/2008, 12:11 AM
Well, since we're looking at making some sweet tourney coin and we saved overhead by wearing Ohio State's extra gray unis this year, turning a profit shouldn't be a problem. :D

I dunno, I think the program used that money making shirts and jerseys for promotions. Maybe next year we will use only one basketball for warmups and shootaround. It could make pregame a lot more fun. :pop:

NormanPride
3/10/2008, 09:49 AM
I think a subscription to the jelly of the month club should suffice. :D

kevpks
3/10/2008, 10:15 AM
I think a subscription to the jelly of the month club should suffice. :D

Clark, that's the gift that keeps on givin the whole year.

birddog
3/10/2008, 11:45 AM
that it is, edward.

pay that dude so the program and fans know we have stability and a great young coach that brings alot of fun to bball.

bri
3/10/2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, if we can pour all that money into facilities then we can compensate the head coach. I'd rather have a great coach than great facilities.

mccoolio
3/10/2008, 01:31 PM
He's young and has already taken us to nearly Top 25 status after many players backed out...He has earned at least a doubling of his salary if he is serious about staying at the U.

SoonerBOI
3/10/2008, 08:02 PM
Worth every penny. Coach of the year for me.

tommieharris91
3/10/2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, if we can pour all that money into facilities then we can compensate the head coach. I'd rather have a great coach than great facilities.

:stunned: Wel i wud rathr hav faceleetes then cheetin coches!!! :stunned:

bri
3/10/2008, 10:06 PM
Heh, aggy has neither.

tommieharris91
3/10/2008, 10:24 PM
[hairGel] YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!!

They're gonna have the facilities... :rolleyes:

bri
3/10/2008, 10:36 PM
Ooh, are they raising the roof at GIA again?

That place is a full-on dumphole. Blerg.

tommieharris91
3/10/2008, 10:41 PM
If T-bone says they're raisin da roof, they're raisin da roof!

Jimminy Crimson
3/11/2008, 12:34 AM
That place is a hellhole.

:texan:

shaun4411
3/13/2008, 08:14 PM
he'll need a raise if we want him to stay in town. thats for sure.

thedeanisin
3/14/2008, 08:29 AM
No. He hasn't convinced me that he should remain at OU. If he is so unhappy with fan support and wants to be closer to home and his family, GOODBYE!

However, I do like the comment he made to his players in the dressing room at OSU after they beat the Aggies. I wouldn't want to spend anymore time in that hellhole than I had to.

cheezyq
3/14/2008, 08:42 AM
No. He hasn't convinced me that he should remain at OU. If he is so unhappy with fan support and wants to be closer to home and his family, GOODBYE!

thedeanshouldleave, what hole did you crawl out of? Every coach wants better fan support, and he's right to ask it of OU fans, since he's proven so far that he can put a winning product on the court.

But I haven't read or heard anything about him being so unhappy with the fans and being away from family that he wants to head back east. Where have you heard that? And why the heck would you bid good riddance to him if that IS the way he feels?

thedeanisin
3/14/2008, 08:52 AM
He will get better fan support with a better record. Just a winning product doesn't always put fans in the seats.

I happen to get that information from an article in the paper last week. Give him a big box of Kleenix and send him home.

And the hole I crawled out of is a pretty comfortable hole.

thedeanisin
3/14/2008, 08:57 AM
BTW, there was pretty good support for the Sooners at the games I attended.

Isn't it nice that a Sooner fan would cut other fans like you just did. Are you sure you aren't an Aggie?