PDA

View Full Version : I guess we don't get out much...

Okla-homey
3/8/2008, 07:42 AM
but last night, we're at this thingy attended by about 400 some odd people dowtown. Mostly professionals and their spouses. Many quite well-heeled.

That said, it was one of those charity-type events and part of the draw was the fact several of the city's most popular restaurants donated the food. You just picked up a plate and went through several mini-buffets set up by the various eateries.

Anyhoo, here's the thing. After eating, Mrs. Homey went to the ladies room to powder her nose and what not, and she reported to me there were literally, at least half a dozen "Stepford wives" intentionally yacking all that fine chow into the porcelain.

Now, I ask ya? WTF!?!

These gals can afford lipo as evidenced by the other areas of their bodies they had obviously artificially enhanced ( if you know what I mean.) I mean, here they were, size 2 high-dollar cocktail dress, 'spensive shoes, hair and make-up perfect, tig ol' bitties and they are sticking their fingers down their throats in a ladies room.:eek:

I guess I was naive. And not to make light of the situation because I know people can die of this condition, but I thought wimmens eventually outgrew those eating disorder dealios when they hit late twenties/early thirties. Apparently not. sheesh.

olevetonahill
3/8/2008, 07:50 AM
Give Me a Lady comfortable with Who she Is and Id be happy

Okla-homey
3/8/2008, 07:52 AM
Give Me a Lady comfortable with Who she Is and Id be happy

seriously man. Like Jed Clampett used to say; pit-ee-full.

olevetonahill
3/8/2008, 08:03 AM
seriously man. Like Jed Clampett used to say; pit-ee-full.

I dont reckon Ill ever Find a Lady , So Ill just die single and Have a Great time getting there

Miko
3/8/2008, 08:52 AM
Maybe it had nothing to do with body image. Maybe they were trying to permanently alter their monthly cycles or had vendettas against the enamel on their teeth.

Or maybe it was the shrimp?!?!?!

VeeJay
3/8/2008, 09:14 AM
Instead of yakking in the toilet, if I were a thin broad I'd just eat less.

I would think "picky eater" would be slightly more admirable than coming back to the table with chunks on your evening dress.

Frozen Sooner
3/8/2008, 11:34 AM
wimmens eventually outgrew those eating disorder dealios when they hit late twenties/early thirties. Apparently not. sheesh.

An eating disorder isn't something you outgrow. Eating disorders stem from a negative body image. While some people are able to eventually come to grips with themselves, others flatly cannot. That's not an indication of immaturity, but of low self-esteem.

OCUDad
3/8/2008, 11:36 AM
If skinniness is a sign of low self-esteem, Mike and I can claim to have extremely high self-esteem. Off-the-charts high self esteem.

Frozen Sooner
3/8/2008, 11:45 AM
Well, yeah. I mean, I've come to grips with the way I look. :D

OCUDad
3/8/2008, 12:58 PM
Well, yeah. I mean, I've come to grips with the way I look. :DIt's just that the rest of us haven't. :D

Frozen Sooner
3/8/2008, 01:20 PM
Hence me frequently coming to grips with myself.

If you know what I mean.

Scott D
3/8/2008, 02:31 PM
An eating disorder isn't something you outgrow. Eating disorders stem from a negative body image. While some people are able to eventually come to grips with themselves, others flatly cannot. That's not an indication of immaturity, but of low self-esteem.

eh partially low self-esteem, partially somewhat ridiculous standards to try and match.

Frozen Sooner
3/8/2008, 02:46 PM
eh partially low self-esteem, partially somewhat ridiculous standards to try and match.

Right. Which reinforces low self-esteem. Society tells women now that if they're not a size 0 then they're not attractive. I've even heard women say that they want to be a -2 or whatever. There is no possible way for the vast vast majority of women to be a healthy size 0. But they'll keep hearing that's where they "should" be and that's backed up by the clothing designers.

Not just women, by the way.

Our culture is really weird. We have probably the lowest percentage of people at a healthy body weight of any industrialized nation-but it's not that everyone is fat (though we have a ton of fat people) or everyone is malnourished (though we have a ton of unhealthily thin people). Nobody can seem to just hang out at a healthy weight.

Scott D
3/8/2008, 02:47 PM
at least we can look at the fact that on average the German Army is 5% fatter than our Army :)

that random fact brought to you by an issue of USA Today from sometime earlier this week.

StoopTroup
3/8/2008, 02:51 PM
They must have been from Stillwater...

I hear they like good looking yaks there.

mdklatt
3/8/2008, 02:53 PM

From Homey's description, it sounds like these are trophy wives trying to keep the luster going as long as possible before the husband upgrades to a newer model.

Scott D
3/8/2008, 02:57 PM
yeah, but any Homey description has to be decoded to figure out what is beyond his preconceived notions. ;)

SicEmBaylor
3/8/2008, 02:58 PM
This is going to be somewhat controversial, but I have no sympathy for self-imposed "diseases" like anorexia and bulimia. There are lots of suffering people out there with disease that aren't self-imposed that deserve our sympathy a hell of a lot more than some dumb *** girl/woman who voluntarily sticks her finger up her throat.

I'm not saying they don't need treatment, but I'm not going to sit around feeling sorry for them either.

StoopTroup
3/8/2008, 02:58 PM
Or...

Maybe they just like to look nice for the pool boy.

StoopTroup
3/8/2008, 02:59 PM
This is going to be somewhat controversial, but I have no sympathy for self-imposed "diseases" like anorexia and bulimia. There are lots of suffering people out there with disease that aren't self-imposed that deserve our sympathy a hell of a lot more than some dumb *** girl/woman who voluntarily sticks her finger up her throat.

I'm not saying they don't need treatment, but I'm not going to sit around feeling sorry for them either.

But would you be their pool boy?

OCUDad
3/8/2008, 03:02 PM
If SicEm were their pool boy, they wouldn't even have to eat to throw up.

SicEmBaylor
3/8/2008, 03:03 PM
But would you be their pool boy?

Yes.

StoopTroup
3/8/2008, 03:05 PM
Sicem....

They can't eat their cake and throw it up too.

Wait....

KC//CRIMSON
3/8/2008, 03:22 PM
This story sounds like shenanigans. Six women spewing chunks at the same time in one bathroom?

C'mon, please.

Women who have this disease (if that's what it really is, could have been the fish) almost never barf in public. It's a very private disease.

Frozen Sooner
3/8/2008, 03:25 PM

Anyone else surprised that SicEm's ability to comprehend mental illness is on a par with general comprehension of the human condition in general?

I suppose that depressed people should just cheer the **** up.

SicEmBaylor
3/8/2008, 03:26 PM
Anyone else surprised that SicEm's ability to comprehend mental illness is on a par with general comprehension of the human condition in general?

Yes, they should!

Okla-homey
3/8/2008, 04:48 PM
This story sounds like shenanigans. Six women spewing chunks at the same time in one bathroom?

C'mon, please.

Women who have this disease (if that's what it really is, could have been the fish) almost never barf in public. It's a very private disease.

Chicks go to the terlit in at least pairs in public places. Thus, three pairs or two triples is not outlandish. Besides, the alcohol was flowing, which perhaps lowered inhibitions. Either way, I wasn't there. I only report what my wife came back to the table and whispered to me. Thus, inadmissable as hearsay.

I was just struck by the notion grown wimmen would be doing this sort of thing, Karen Carpenter notwithstanding.

proud gonzo
3/8/2008, 05:32 PM

C'mon, please.

Women who have this disease (if that's what it really is, could have been the fish) almost never barf in public. It's a very private disease.well, it wouldn't necessarily mean they're anorexic/bullemic but maybe just that they wanna make sure they look nice and skinny in their expensive dress that evening.

Melo
3/8/2008, 06:04 PM
Im a size 0.
I eat a LOT of food, I love food, I think about it all the time.
However, I do not throw up my food or restrict what I eat, nor do I work out, at all.
I feel like I get made fun of/talked down to just as much as other girls who claim to have weight issues. I cant help it anymore than you claim you cant help what you weigh.

Having said that, however, Ive always had a very strong love for myself. I know myself better than anyone else, I think that inner confidence and inner beauty is the most beautiful thing in a woman, and that is what I strive for. If I make myself happy, then the rest doesnt matter.

I think a lot of women miss that lesson.

Chuck Bao
3/8/2008, 06:09 PM
If the booze be flowing, maybe they were like drunk and the throw up was the kind of the spinning room and sinking feet variety.

Besides I believe all hillbillies know you don't get the beer gut without the beer. So, lay off the booze you well-heeled women!

Scott D
3/8/2008, 07:29 PM

I just consider SicEm a poster child for those who don't get out much.

Okla-homey
3/8/2008, 08:24 PM
Im a size 0.
I eat a LOT of food, I love food, I think about it all the time.
However, I do not throw up my food or restrict what I eat, nor do I work out, at all.
I feel like I get made fun of/talked down to just as much as other girls who claim to have weight issues. I cant help it anymore than you claim you cant help what you weigh.

Having said that, however, Ive always had a very strong love for myself. I know myself better than anyone else, I think that inner confidence and inner beauty is the most beautiful thing in a woman, and that is what I strive for. If I make myself happy, then the rest doesnt matter.

I think a lot of women miss that lesson.

and that mindset, is precisely why you'll make a good airman, enjoy the USAF, and get a lot out of your service. Girls who feel good about themselves do well in Big Blue. The other kind of girl gets victimized and ends up marrying some d00d she met in tech school, promptly pregnant...and it's all downhill from there -- professionally and emotionally speaking.

just sayin'

Frozen Sooner
3/8/2008, 08:28 PM
and that mindset, is precisely why you'll make a good airman, enjoy the USAF, and get a lot out of your service. Girls who feel good about themselves do well in Big Blue. The other kind of girl gets victimized and ends up marrying some woman who's way older than her she met in tech school, promptly pregnant...and it's all downhill from there -- professionally and emotionally speaking.

Then they wind up in Spokane for a week.

just sayin'

Fixed. :D

Okla-homey
3/9/2008, 08:58 AM
Fixed. :D

ZANG!

Melo
3/9/2008, 04:12 PM
and that mindset, is precisely why you'll make a good airman, enjoy the USAF, and get a lot out of your service. Girls who feel good about themselves do well in Big Blue. The other kind of girl gets victimized and ends up marrying some d00d she met in tech school, promptly pregnant...and it's all downhill from there -- professionally and emotionally speaking.

just sayin'

Im ready.
Maybe not completely, but I am as ready as I can be, knowing what I know. The only thing Im waiting on is my test (2 1/2 days counting) which hopefully, I will qualify for the job I want. If I dont, Im not real sure what I will do. But the past few days have found me at home, thinking a lot, researching a lot, etc. I feel very confident and ready to move on.
:D

Okla-homey
3/9/2008, 06:59 PM
Im ready.
Maybe not completely, but I am as ready as I can be, knowing what I know. The only thing Im waiting on is my test (2 1/2 days counting) which hopefully, I will qualify for the job I want. If I dont, Im not real sure what I will do. But the past few days have found me at home, thinking a lot, researching a lot, etc. I feel very confident and ready to move on.
:D

darn skippy. And here's another thing you need to understand. Even if you don't get your desired job right out of basic, people cross-train into different career fields all the time. The key is, and this is very important, do the best job you can do at the job you get. That way, you'll have the support of your chain-of-command in your hip pocket if you decide you want to do something else.

See, some people end up in a job that they later find they're not too jazzed about, mainly because its practically impossible to really know whether you'll really like something until after you achieve your five-level (a/k/a "craftsman" rating) in that job.

Until then, as an entry-level "apprentice" whatever, you're still learning a lot, studying training materials and doing OJT getting ready to take your test. In some jobs, that can take a couple years after you get to your base.

I never refused to support a troop who wanted to cross-train if he/she was a good troop and did their best. The whiners who "hated their job" and who didn't give 100% who wanted to cross-train? Not so much. Bottomline, if the supervisor, NCOIC and commander don't support a troop's cross-training application, it won't happen and they're stuck.