PDA

View Full Version : Oh no - not good news!

sooner n houston
3/7/2008, 02:23 PM
DeKalb star student athlete arrested on weapon charges

By KRISTINA TORRES
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/07/08

DeKalb County star high school football player Josh Jarboe was arrested Thursday evening for receiving stolen property and having a weapon on school property — both felony charges for one of the nation's top college recruits.

Online jail records show Jarboe, 18, was booked into the DeKalb County Jail along with 17-year-old James Davis, who was charged with the same two counts. Both were arrested by DeKalb school system police officers.

The school system has not released any information about the arrests or about the two young men. A spokesman said that the police report — a public document — was not yet complete.

Jarboe is a standout wide receiver from Cedar Grove High School, ranked by Rivals.com as the 10th-best wide receiver nationally in the Class of 2008.

He committed last month to play for the University of Oklahoma, choosing the Sooners over Florida, Georgia and LSU.

In addition to the felony charges, Jarboe also could face expulsion from school under DeKalb schools policy.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/03/07/dekarrest_0308.html

sooner518
3/7/2008, 02:27 PM
oy. idiot if this is true

piusbovis
3/7/2008, 02:29 PM
I read that a few minutes ago on the longhorn board. After I heard so much hype about his all-star game performance too...

cvsooner
3/7/2008, 02:29 PM
That will probably toast his offer, I suspect, if it's proven to be true.

auto
3/7/2008, 03:39 PM
Damn, that just sucks.

Collier11
3/7/2008, 03:45 PM
If this is true, that F'n sucks

soonerloyal
3/7/2008, 03:48 PM
Oh, God in Heaven, Almighty Power...Why dost Thou test us this way? In Thy Perfect Wisdom, where does reside this apparent need for cosmic hilarity at our expense? Where is the Scripture written that the Sooner Nation be thy Job, thy testube of tribulation? Have we offended Thee, in the manner of the horned ones down south? Have we made ourselves impure, as those who wear orange have so grieviously done? Oh Father, take pity upon thy beloved servants north of the Red River, your chosen ones, and deliver us from the evil that is recruit and player stupidity! Grant your Crimson Children peace and rest, that they may see soothing oil poured upon the troubled waters of Norman. I verily pray invoking the name of the trinity of coaches with which you blessed us: Bud, Barry & Bob...Amen.

*sob*
*sackcloth & ashes*
*rending of clothes*
*throwing various items at photo of stupid recruit*
*sigh*

rainiersooner
3/7/2008, 03:48 PM
Receipt of stolen property and a weapon in charging papers can mean a lot of different things...let's see what happens.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/7/2008, 03:49 PM
That will probably toast his offer, I suspect, if it's proven to be true.

If it is is proven to be true I don't want him within 500 miles of Norman.

silverwheels
3/7/2008, 03:55 PM
Well, that's another scholarship for next year.

stoopified
3/7/2008, 04:00 PM
Oh, God in Heaven, Almighty Power...Why dost Thou test us this way? In Thy Perfect Wisdom, where does reside this apparent need for cosmic hilarity at our expense? Where is the Scripture written that the Sooner Nation be thy Job, thy testube of tribulation? Have we offended Thee, in the manner of the horned ones down south? Have we made ourselves impure, as those who wear orange have so grieviously done? Oh Father, take pity upon thy beloved servants north of the Red River, your chosen ones, and deliver us from the evil that is recruit and player stupidity! Grant your Crimson Children peace and rest, that they may see soothing oil poured upon the troubled waters of Norman. I verily pray invoking the name of the trinity of coaches with which you blessed us: Bud, Barry & Bob...Amen.

*sob*
*sackcloth & ashes*
*rending of clothes*
*throwing various items at photo of stupid recruit*
*sigh*spek,bro.I liked that so much I'm printing it off.

yermom
3/7/2008, 04:03 PM
better now than in a year or two before the bowl game ;)

Charla
3/7/2008, 04:13 PM
Looks like a good prospect for Mack, or do they need a conviction record and not just an arrest record ?

OKC-SLC
3/7/2008, 04:16 PM
gonna need a drug charge in addition to qualify for whorns.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/7/2008, 04:27 PM
So, do we get the Fulmer cup points for that or since he isn't on campus, we miss it?

MojoRisen
3/7/2008, 05:00 PM
This sucks- kiss it good bye... What did he have a friggin gun at school or something???

UTgolfer
3/7/2008, 05:41 PM
Give the guy a second chance! And once he's learned a lesson or received appropriate punishment he should be allowed to join the team. Especially since these kind of things can be more common or accepted in certain demographics - where these items are not as easily afforded.

Let the rationalizations continue!

Collier11
3/7/2008, 05:42 PM
Give the guy a second chance! And once he's learned a lesson or received appropriate punishment he should be allowed to join the team. Especially since these kind of things can be more common or accepted in certain demographics - where these items are not as easily afforded.

absolutely not!

UTgolfer
3/7/2008, 05:53 PM
Receipt of stolen property and a weapon in charging papers can mean a lot of different things...let's see what happens.

Love that mentality! Someone has to have a good excuse explaining his behavior!

TexasLidig8r
3/7/2008, 05:59 PM
Looks like a good prospect for Mack, or do they need a conviction record and not just an arrest record ?

You know.. for a school that had a freshman (Broyles) suspended the entire year for his criminal activity (not that he would have played anyway).. and the Granger thing (missing the bowl game for his criminal activity) and now this... along with the past misdeeds of Romar and the other idiot and the walk on...

That glass palace of yours is mighty fragile.

Collier11
3/7/2008, 06:08 PM
You know.. for a school that had a freshman (Broyles) suspended the entire year for his criminal activity (not that he would have played anyway).. and the Granger thing (missing the bowl game for his criminal activity) and now this... along with the past misdeeds of Romar and the other idiot and the walk on...

NO see, Stoops disciplines his players...just sayin

adoniijahsooner
3/7/2008, 06:14 PM

Yep, all of the guys that were mentioned, I dont think any touched the field after they messed up. Add in there Dusty who was also kicked off the team, and we have discipline in oklahoma. I believe everyone who was in trouble in macks palace still were able to play ball in the same year.

rainiersooner
3/7/2008, 06:16 PM
Love that mentality! Someone has to have a good excuse explaining his behavior!

All I'm saying is that - unless there's more information out there - its premature to assume that because the charging papers state possession of stolen property and a weapon he drove to school in a stolen car with a full arsenal of shotguns. We don't know. I think Stoops has shown a lot of consistency and integrity in dealing with his players transgressions. Don't get me wrong - I don't feel like working right now and spring practice just started, so this is a FASCINATING topic...but let's be honest, no one knows what the real deal is here.

UTgolfer
3/7/2008, 06:16 PM

So Stoops' idea of disciplining Granger is to let him back on the team? What will he do to this kid...couple of days helping out at the homeless shelter?

Seriously doubt the this kid ever sees OU's campus...but if he does I'll be very interested in hearing more stories about the wholesome, high character individuals that make up the OU football team.

UTgolfer
3/7/2008, 06:18 PM
Yep, all of the guys that were mentioned, I dont think any touched the field after they messed up. Add in there Dusty who was also kicked off the team, and we have discipline in oklahoma. I believe everyone who was in trouble in macks palace still were able to play ball in the same year.

I'd suggest you do a little research and edit your post.

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 06:19 PM
So Stoops' idea of disciplining Granger is to let him back on the team? What will he do to this kid...couple of days helping out at the homeless shelter?

Seriously doubt the this kid ever sees OU's campus...but if he does I'll be very interested in hearing more stories about the wholesome, high character individuals that make up the OU football team.

You guys are slippin . This :texan: was Green till a few Negs ago .
What I gotta do come clean this place up or what ?
Oh and Lids still Green whats up with that ?:mad:

Collier11
3/7/2008, 06:19 PM

Granger will be disciplined by the authorities and by Coach Stoops he has already been disciplined, by all accounts he did everything he needed to do.

I dont want him on the team as I previously stated, but if someone is on the team that does something relatively forgivable then they should be given a 2nd chance IMO

JLEW1818
3/7/2008, 06:22 PM
These kids futures are so bright, I just dont see why kids do this type of stuff?

UTgolfer
3/7/2008, 06:27 PM
I dont want him on the team as I previously stated, but if someone is on the team that does something relatively forgivable then they should be given a 2nd chance IMO

None of us are perfect...and we all deserve 2nd chances in life. But some things while understandable and perhaps forgivable do not undo the damage done. Playing football and representing a major university is a privilege and excusing bad behavior sends a terrible message to those that come later.

Whew....long climb down from my soap box.

adoniijahsooner
3/7/2008, 06:29 PM
These kids futures are so bright, I just dont see why kids do this type of stuff?

This is the real topic, what the hell is wrong with these kids who get a great opportunity and blow it by doing something stupid.

UTgolfer
3/7/2008, 06:31 PM
This is the real topic, what the hell is wrong with these kids who get a great opportunity and blow it by doing something stupid.

Because many of them believe they can simply get away with it.

BillyBall
3/7/2008, 06:36 PM
Idiot

TexasLidig8r
3/7/2008, 06:36 PM

I'm trying the best I can to get back to burnt orange spek Oleve.

mizzOUstu702
3/7/2008, 06:44 PM
USC Signee Arrested on Robbery Charges (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=783294)

At least we're not the only ones...? Nope, still doesn't help.

MojoRisen
3/7/2008, 06:59 PM

Big difference pecker - Guns and stolen property is pretty much criminal element for sure.

BillyBall
3/7/2008, 06:59 PM

GDC is rolling in his grave

SouthFortySooner
3/7/2008, 07:01 PM
Coach Bob Stoops. Responsible for what kids do all across the nation. Stupid Stupid Stupid. Jarboe's actions and the texas idiot.

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 07:16 PM
I'm trying the best I can to get back to burnt orange spek Oleve.

Not doing My Name right Is helpin
What admin turned you Green any way ?
You dont Go from 2 Mil plus down to That green Over nite Unless Beano or some one was Just wantin to Give us some Off season Practice .:D

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 07:17 PM
GDC is rolling in his grave

Then In Honor of his Passin we Need to Unite and Return This heathen to the RED depths Of Spek Hell

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2008, 08:39 PM
Guns and stolen property is pretty much criminal element for sure.

Receiving stolen property is evidence of a criminal element, but stealing property isn't?

Sounds like Jarboe made a simple "mistake" by bringing a gun onto campus and receiving stolen property. I thought he is supposed to be given a second chance? (Keep in mind that Granger is older than Jarboe, so he has even less of an excuse.)

There sure are a lot of people "throwing stones" here. :rolleyes:

UTgolfer
3/7/2008, 08:42 PM
Big difference pecker - Guns and stolen property is pretty much criminal element for sure.

But both should be given second chances right?

Partial Qualifier
3/7/2008, 09:03 PM
Longhorns, don't you feel a little ridiculous posting in this thread and the Granger thread, knowing your program's image is still reeling from the rash of UT scholarship players busted with drugs, weapons and/or assault charges?

So sorry; LOL. Speaking of that, where were you after OU kicked your *** last October? That's right. By the way, you suck for the forseeable future on the field. Have fun with that.

Your sudden presence here is retarded.

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 10:14 PM

1st Offense . He Gets Probation . which Means a 2nd Chance !dumas :texan:

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 10:15 PM
Longhorns, don't you feel a little ridiculous posting in this thread and the Granger thread, knowing your program's image is still reeling from the rash of UT scholarship players busted with drugs, weapons and/or assault charges?

So sorry; LOL. Speaking of that, where were you after OU kicked your *** last October? That's right. By the way, you suck for the forseeable future on the field. Have fun with that.

Your :texan: presence here is retarded.
Had to Fix it fer Ya bro :cool:

TUSooner
3/7/2008, 10:17 PM

Are you like being sarcastic & stuff? :D

Like yermom said: better now than later. Forget about him.

soonersn20xx
3/7/2008, 11:05 PM
Call me hardass but I am sick and tired of seeing so many young athletes making the news involved in some sort of criminal act.......it has become rampant.

Has it always been this way and not just reported or swept under a rug compared to 20 years ago? That may hold some truth but I lean towards the notion of a degeneration of morals and ethics of these young men. More often than not, these second chances that bleeding hearts want to extend is only perpetuating their behavior. College adminstration officials and coaches need to draw a hard line in the sand and start rejecting these players, let them work at McDonalds or fulfil their dreams of wannabe gangstas and get them out/off of our campuses and football field.

UTgolfer
3/7/2008, 11:06 PM
Are you like being sarcastic & stuff? :D

Of course its sarcasm!

But the comments in my original post were from different posts which are serious attempts at justifying/explaining Granger's behavior. Lots of irony in the fact that those who love to condemn bad behavior in their rivals are so quick to explain it away when one of their own is the perp.

sooneron
3/7/2008, 11:28 PM
I'm guessing that by having a gat at the HS, is pretty much grounds for Stoops not to honor this kid's scholly.

olevetonahill
3/8/2008, 12:30 AM
Are you like being a :texan: & stuff? :D

Had to Fix another :P

olevetonahill
3/8/2008, 12:32 AM
Call me hardass but I am sick and tired of seeing so many young athletes making the news involved in some sort of criminal act.......it has become rampant.

Has it always been this way and not just reported or swept under a rug compared to 20 years ago? That may hold some truth but I lean towards the notion of a degeneration of morals and ethics of these young men. More often than not, these second chances that bleeding hearts want to extend is only perpetuating their behavior. College adminstration officials and coaches need to draw a hard line in the sand and start rejecting these players, let them work at McDonalds or fulfil their dreams of wannabe gangstas and get them out/off of our campuses and football field.

No wonder your Red
Your also Stupid !

olevetonahill
3/8/2008, 12:34 AM
Of course its sarcasm!

But the comments in my original post were from different posts which are serious attempts at justifying/explaining Granger's behavior. Lots of irony in the fact that those who love to condemn bad behavior in their rivals are so quick to explain it away when one of their own is the perp.

Please tell Me you Know the Differance !
Nevar Mind your a Dumbass :texan:
you dont !

Leroy Lizard
3/8/2008, 09:18 AM
Please tell Me you Know the Differance !

Sure. The difference is that Granger is a starter; Jarboe is only a recruit. We give second chances for 22-year-old starters (after all, starters commit only "mistakes"), but not for 18-year-old backups or recruits.

OU-HSV
3/8/2008, 10:53 AM
Sure. The difference is that Granger is a starter; Jarboe is only a recruit. We give second chances for 22-year-old starters (after all, starters commit only "mistakes"), but not for 18-year-old backups or recruits.

More sarcasm, gotta like that.

Everyone,the point is, why bring someone in that you know is already causing trouble? Do you seriously think that if Jarboe had done something like this in the past and Stoops' and staff knew about it...that they would've offered him?? The answer is simply NO. So why give the kid a second chance?
I was as excited about Jarboe as much as the next Soonerfan. But I'm not excited about bringing trouble into the program and placing that red flag in the NCAA's face. Stoops' job isn't about giving people second chances...it's about winning and running as tight laced a program as possible to display the university in the best way.
Lastly,all the whorn fans posting about this is comical.

OU-HSV
3/8/2008, 10:56 AM

Is it because your whorns are "wholesome" individuals that you feel the need to chime in on a thread on this topic? :rolleyes:
May the red continue to fall like rain.

tulsaoilerfan
3/8/2008, 11:42 AM

because they are kids; how many people on here did illegal stuff when they were kids but just didn't get caught? I can almost guarantee everyone on here drank underage or drove while under the influence and some on here may have done even worse stuff

Frozen Sooner
3/8/2008, 11:55 AM
I'm guessing that by having a gat at the HS, is pretty much grounds for Stoops not to honor this kid's scholly.

He won't have a choice. A recruit convicted of a felony cannot be admitted to the University of Oklahoma. Per Castiglione.

tulsaoilerfan
3/8/2008, 12:56 PM
twould be nice if we could keep the whorns out of this thread

Frozen Sooner
3/8/2008, 01:21 PM
One's already gotten a red card. The rest aren't breaking any rules.

Yet.

47straight
3/8/2008, 05:33 PM
None of us are perfect...and we all deserve 2nd chances in life. But some things while understandable and perhaps forgivable do not undo the damage done. Playing football and representing a major university is a privilege and excusing bad behavior sends a terrible message to those that come later.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Football at a major university is a privilege.

UT Golfer, I will stand with you and sign your letter to Deloss Dodds demanding that UT scrap football as a self-penalty for not integrating until the 1970s.

47straight
3/8/2008, 05:39 PM

Here's a rock. Your players beat up witnesses who are going to testify against OTHER players. After said players had gotten arrested themselves. Talk about not learning! Talk about the team being the criminal influence! Is that "one heartbeat" - making sure that marks don't roll over on your boy?

Lid, if that witness had accidentally gotten killed during the beat down, were you going to pro bono the death penalty appeal?

Lemme, ask you this - do bitches really deserve to get kicked?

Hey Lid, what size "Stop Snitching" t-shirt are you going to wear to the trial of the UT players?

And that's all I got. If this Jarboe stuff ain't true, it's a relief, but I don't want him here if it is.

Ruuuuuufus
3/8/2008, 05:51 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't read anywhere that it was a gun he had, just a weapon. Could be a knife, nunchucks, rocket launcher, anything.

Leroy Lizard
3/8/2008, 06:18 PM
Everyone,the point is, why bring someone in that you know is already causing trouble? Do you seriously think that if Jarboe had done something like this in the past and Stoops' and staff knew about it...that they would've offered him?? The answer is simply NO.

Okay, so why is Granger being given a second chance? He broke the law as well. Instead of receiving stolen property, he stole it.

What about McGruder? He was nailed for felony drug suspension and thrown off the Tennessee team. That certainly did not dissuade Stoops from bringing him to Norman.

Where is the consistency?

Stoops' job isn't about giving people second chances...it's about winning and running as tight laced a program as possible to display the university in the best way.

He certainly gave McGruder a second chance. Why not Jarboe? (For the record, I do not want Jarboe on the team if the allegations are true and as serious as they sound.)

I agree that the Horns have no room to talk.

snp
3/8/2008, 06:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't read anywhere that it was a gun he had, just a weapon. Could be a knife, nunchucks, rocket launcher, anything.

I'm guessing trebuchet.

Ash
3/8/2008, 07:07 PM

The irony of this post coming from a whorn fan is too much. LMAO

Sabanball
3/8/2008, 08:41 PM
Hate this for you guys. How do you think Stoops will handle it? We've certainly had our off season problems, given the situation with Jeremy Elder and his illegal use of a handgun, and the Rashad Johnson mess. Sometimes you just have to wonder what is going through these kids' minds...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfbrecruit/entries/2008/03/07/sooners_signee_jarboe_arrested.html

Ash
3/8/2008, 09:13 PM
Search tool is your friend.

KYHonorarySooner
3/8/2008, 09:26 PM
He doesn't make it to Norman and in my opinion he shouldn't. This isn't a situation like Granger's that was a stupid mistake that deserves a second chance from B. Stoops - these are felonies. Being mixed up in these types of things is inexcusable. He can have a second chance as well, just not at OU.

olevetonahill
3/8/2008, 09:42 PM
One's already gotten a red card. The rest aren't breaking any rules.

Yet.

I doing My best Boss to turn em All red :D

Leroy Lizard
3/8/2008, 11:01 PM
This isn't a situation like Granger's that was a stupid mistake that deserves a second chance from B. Stoops - these are felonies.

McGruder's crime was a felony. Stoops gave him a second chance (which I opposed). Care to explain that one?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/9/2008, 12:29 AM
McGruder's crime was a felony. Stoops gave him a second chance (which I opposed). Care to explain that one?

Too bad Jarboe didn't horsecollar someone too or we could get sooner-and-ga involved.

If Jarboe had a gun at his hs I don't want him at OU. If his weapon was.

Being against Jarboe getting a scholarship and being "OK" with Stoops giving Granger a second chance are not contradictory positions.

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2008, 12:31 AM
And McGruder?

goingoneight
3/9/2008, 01:34 AM
My take is that not only is the arrest a red flag, but the simple fact that he had a gun on campus means release him and cut your losses. Granger, again, made a bad choice and it's much easier for Stoops to sit down with a guy he's built a three-year relationship with, look him in the eye and trust that he'll change his ways or not. Stoops has interviewed problem players before and cut their rope simply based on judgement call (Rawls comes to mind). I'm pretty sure DG's on the hot seat with plenty of punishment dealt his way. Major retailers prosecute shoplifters to a fitting extent and I highly doubt (knowing OUr coaching staff) that he'll just go right back to business as usual with the team. Don't believe me, go visit an ICS (inventory control specialist) at any major retailer.

As for Jarboe:
This kid has done nothing more than signing on the dotted line to play football for OU and hasn't even enrolled yet. You release him, maybe he works out his troubles and signs on somewhere else. If he doesn't, it's not your problem... it's his problem. Naturally, Stoops and Co. are going to take heat for what soem 18-year old kid has done now who is 800+ miles away from Norman and hasn't even made it to campus yet. :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
3/9/2008, 06:56 AM
Has it been comfirmed that It was on Fact a Gun ? . Has the 18 year old Kid been convicted ?

OU-HSV
3/9/2008, 08:37 AM
Okay, so why is Granger being given a second chance? He broke the law as well. Instead of receiving stolen property, he stole it.

What about McGruder? He was nailed for felony drug suspension and thrown off the Tennessee team. That certainly did not dissuade Stoops from bringing him to Norman.

Where is the consistency?

He certainly gave McGruder a second chance. Why not Jarboe? (For the record, I do not want Jarboe on the team if the allegations are true and as serious as they sound.)

I agree that the Horns have no room to talk.
I guess if you really want to know the answer to all this you'd have to ask Bob Stoops.
But my thoughts on the Granger situation is that I'm NOT in full agreement of him staying on the team as well. However, I assume because he's on the team already and Stoops took quick action on his situation..that it's easier and makes more sense for Stoops to give him a second chance. This is (to my knowledge) the first time we've heard of Granger doing anything like this. And I'm sure Granger has done everything that Stoops made him do as discipline. And although I don't approve of shoplifting. If you told me there were 2 players who have caused trouble, one had a shoplifting incident and one possessed weapons (or whatever Jarboe's final charges are)...and I had to pick between the 2 to be on the team, I'd pick the shoplifter. It's a little more innocent than packing heat at a school. But again I DON'T approve of either of these.
The McGruder deal was pre-Rhomar scandal. We are being watched closer now and Stoops knows that. I would think and hope that second chances for serious offenses would become a thing of the past for our Sooners. It's much too risky anymore. Now correct me if I'm wrong but the McGruder situation was that he got convicted for possession of pot but later the charges were dropped, right?
If you don't want Jarboe on the team if all this turns out true, then why are you continuing an argument to give the kid a second chance? That doesn't make much sense.
Again, my thing is if this comes out true, bringing him in would draw more negative attention to the program, which is something we do not need. Furthermore he could end up being a cancer and swaying other players to join in on stupid behavior.

Scott D
3/9/2008, 09:36 AM
And McGruder?

As part of the agreement with the State of Tennessee, the charges against McGruder were dismissed. Good try though.

OU-HSV
3/9/2008, 09:57 AM
As part of the agreement with the State of Tennessee, the charges against McGruder were dismissed. Good try though.
Exactly what I thought

soonerfan28
3/9/2008, 10:20 AM
I agree it's a risk to take a chance on a kid after something like this, but if he's not convicted of a felony then I don't see any reason he shouldn't be here. He has to this point been a good student and upstanding member of society. We all need to sit back and see how this thing plays out. For all we know it was his friend who had the weapon and the stolen property and they took them both into custody to see if one would turn on the other.

olevetonahill
3/9/2008, 10:27 AM
I agree it's a risk to take a chance on a kid after something like this, but if he's not convicted of a felony then I don't see any reason he shouldn't be here. He has to this point been a good student and upstanding member of society. We all need to sit back and see how this thing plays out. For all we know it was his friend who had the weapon and the stolen propertyand they took them both into custody to see if one would turn on the other.

Bingo

soonerboomer93
3/9/2008, 12:23 PM
I kinda got to go with olevet

no where, has it stated he had a gun (atleast that i've seen)
a lot of people are making assumptions about this and automatically thinks it's a gun. In the new pc world of high schools, it could have been a lot of things most of us wouldn't think of as a weapon. Hell, most of you old codgers complaining about this probably carry a pocket knife, and that would get you a weapons charge in a lot of schools.

MojoRisen
3/9/2008, 12:43 PM

You moe's can complain all you want- but if you don't see the diference between shoplifting - and having a gun and recieving stolen and likely burgurlized property- I find no reason to really reply to this.

Jarboe really must live in his own world to jepordize his scholarship - after being so highly recruited he must have known he was under a watchful eye.

Yep- 2nd chance for Granger - not so much for Jarboe for all the reason I stated in defending giving Granger a 2nd chance.

I have been pretty consistent in my view on the severity and differences of the two individuals being discussed.

MojoRisen
3/9/2008, 01:00 PM
Felony weapons charge - has to be a pretty serious weapon. I hope it was a pocket knife but it was probably a gun charge.

I don't know if you can get a felony charge on a butterfly knife but maybe you can...

Hope this is over hyped but if he picked up 2 felony charges - he must have had some pretty expensive property as well...

goingoneight
3/9/2008, 02:04 PM
People... not just kids... get busted all the time for shoplifting. All the while, they keep their jobs, scholarships, etc. But they do have a dark cloud over their head and have many penalties handed down by the law for it. I'm all for punishing a thief. I'm also all for giving them a second chance because we all make bad choices in life, some much worse.

Jarboe may get the technicality second chance, but you can't deny that this is a major red flag that the kid has weapon charges and had the weapon at his school. In light of all the school terrorism since 1999 at Columbine, I think it's safe to assume there was absolutely no explanation for having a weapon on campus outside of cruel intent. This has "thug" written all over it, and Jarboe hasn't had three years to get to know everyone and his coaching staff like DG did. Once again, if you want to get technical, Jarboe could technically stay on the bus at OU. It's happened everywhere else in the country with troubled players. However, this is a judgement call... they only know he's a talented WR who signed on the dotted line right now and it would be much easier to sever ties with him and the OU FB program.

I know what I would do, and I know obviously there's a lot of differences in opinion on here with me and probably with whatever Stoops will do.

SelmaBamaFan
3/9/2008, 03:05 PM
I hate to see stuff like this happen. As was stated earlier we have had our share of troubles this off season as well. The only thing I will say is maybe you should let all the facts come out and see what happens before pulling his scholly. Each case is different and should be treated as so.

Hopefully this kid got caught up in someone else's business and wasnt directly responsible. If he was though, I'm sure Stoops will do what is appropriate.

Simeon Castille got arrested last year for Disorderly Conduct while on the strip in Tuscaloosa. Everyone in the Bama Nation wanted him kicked off the team for being so stupid. Later, we found out he was simply horseplaying with fellow team mates out on the side walk (not fighting which was reported earlier). Now he did get rude with the police officers during the ordeal which was wrong, but most of the Bama fans attacked a young man that basically did nothing wrong, and maybe was even targetted to begin with (and not because he was a football player, but that is another topic).

Im just saying, maybe there is something not being said that could change things quite a bit. Let's let the legal system play itself out before we judge.

Having said that, if he is indeed guilty, then I dont think he will qualify for college anyways, since he is probably going to be expelled from highschool. Also, if OU is anything like Bama, then it might be out of Stoops hands. I think admissions might not let him in to begin with.

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2008, 04:32 PM
Dave-

They won't. OU will not admit a convicted felon on an athletic scholarship.

SoonerShark
3/9/2008, 05:06 PM

We don't have the advantage of subsidizing our athletes like Texas does. We need to have fake jobs and crimes. Texas, having an agricultural product as a mascot, takes the agricultural theme a bit further and advances its athletes money trees, which is how Vince Young managed to go to so many professional sports events while still a student, or at least while still enrolled like a student, at Texas. Damien James in basketball was coming to Oklahoma because he liked the Great Communicator then headed to Texas for the agricultural advantages.

As I wrote one time previously, while in Texas a while back, I was in a store and saw UT football players paying with $100.00 bills, which I thought odd for a student with a subsidized education. In the best scenario, at least as far as the NCAA is concerned, the student athletes were counterfeiters and not receiving additional benefits.

Lastly, don't you find it ironic that Bomar was in trouble for not working on a car lot and Mack Brown comes across like a used car salesman? (Actually, I like Mack. He has always been complimentary as to his time in Norman and towards Coach Switzer. He refers to many OU players by their first names and is also complimentary towards them, which is reasonable and decent since each team fishes from the same pond.)

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2008, 10:48 PM
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/03/07/dekarrest_0308.html

If guilty, I say Stoops needs to yank his scholarship.

sooner2b09
3/9/2008, 10:52 PM
just a bit too late http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109152

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2008, 10:54 PM
Sorry, didnt see it posted already.

KingDavid
3/9/2008, 11:02 PM
Has there been no further revelation on this story yet? I'm surprised we don't know more by now about whether it was a gun, etc.

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2008, 11:40 PM

If there was nothing to the allegations, then why was he thrown off the Tennessee football team in the first place? Phil Fulmer is tougher on crime than Bob Stoops?

Actually, McGruder did in fact sell drugs. His charges were dismissed simply because he underwent a treatment program.

You moe's can complain all you want- but if you don't see the diference between shoplifting - and having a gun and recieving stolen and likely burgurlized property- I find no reason to really reply to this.

You're right. In one instance, the person is receiving stolen property. In the other, he is doing the actual stealing. So there is a difference, I agree.

The "likely burglarized" assertion is unproven conjecture. How do you know they weren't shoplifted? And if they were, does that lesson Jarboe's crime?

olevetonahill
3/10/2008, 02:42 AM
LL
why dont you just give it up .
You Keep sayong the same thing over and Over with differant words
We get the Picture . You Belive a Murderer Is No more a Criminal Than a Litterer
Sides ur wearing Out My Neg Button .

Collier11
3/10/2008, 03:05 AM
LL
why dont you just give it up .
You Keep sayong the same thing over and Over with differant words
We get the Picture . You Belive a Murderer Is No more a Criminal Than a Litterer
Sides ur wearing Out My Neg Button .

What you should have said is this, "hi im LL and I enjoy being the biggest dumbazz on SF. Not because I have an opinion diff than most, but that I have to disagree on every single topic with everyone on this board just to make myself believe that I am smarter than everyone else on this board. I get off on this, I love the fact that I lack the ability to use common sense, I love being irrational, and most of all I love wasting everyone on this boards time by consistently posting garbage that no one believes or wants to read at any point in time." I think that would be more appropriate :D

olevetonahill
3/10/2008, 03:19 AM
To many words

Scott D
3/10/2008, 06:30 AM
If there was nothing to the allegations, then why was he thrown off the Tennessee football team in the first place? Phil Fulmer is tougher on crime than Bob Stoops?

Actually, McGruder did in fact sell drugs. His charges were dismissed simply because he underwent a treatment program.

You're right. In one instance, the person is receiving stolen property. In the other, he is doing the actual stealing. So there is a difference, I agree.

The "likely burglarized" assertion is unproven conjecture. How do you know they weren't shoplifted? And if they were, does that lesson Jarboe's crime?

I never said there was nothing to the charges, I simply said, his coming here was in large part due to the agreement where the charges were dropped. Pretty sure that charges being dropped does not = conviction. At least it does in the real world.

Also, despite the seriousness of the charges against Jarboe, they are also pretty ambiguous. For all we know he could be up on those charges because the other guy asked him to hold onto a backpack that had those items in it, and he unknowingly ended up in possession of those items. He could have also done something in a premeditated manner. At this point I would argue that none of us know enough about the situation to have any sort of informed opinion on it.

This is a prime example of why it's always easier for people to always assume the worst of everyone else. Definitely no shortage of rocks for all the glass houses we live in.

budbarrybob
3/10/2008, 09:33 AM
are we sure that this guy is even going to get to graduate? You get expulsion in Okla for a weapons offense.

UTgolfer
3/10/2008, 11:23 AM
I think shoplifting is less than stealing from an individual - for a kid/young man. The reason I say that is not to be argumentative but that it doesn't really hurt anyone and those stores have insurance for that kind of thing - were as a person would miss his coat.

I also think that depending on upbringing these kind of things can be more common or accepted in certain demographics - where these items are not as easily afforded.

This was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen- but if you are having fun and are young and more adventurist from going to the desert in PHX and having some free time on your hands can lead to a rush and want to do things that are a rush- no one got hurt and I am glad he is back on the team.

He will get a second shot but I am sure will be on a short rope - to say the least.

In virginia anything over 250$ is grand larsony and he could have gotten some chunk of jail time for stealing probably a 1K coat.. Probably at least a couple of weeks for a first time offense or up to a couple of months.

He is young- and he is let's not deny our best DL even over Mccoy last year for sure... So he would've been missed greatly and not that easily replaced at all- he has a bright future and I would hate to see it chunked up over 5 minutes of stupidity where no-one got hurt.

The above is what I take issue with. Rationalizing behavior because well 1) it really didn't hurt anyone, 2) the assumption the store had insurance, 3) his acts are a function of Granger's demographic group, 4) since the items where expensive they were OK to steal, 5) since he's having fun and young has some free time and wants to get a rush its OK, and last but not least 6) he's our best DL.

These excuses are PATHETIC!

And feel free to post a reply including all my sanctimonious posts where I state the superiority of my alma mater over OU. The UT kids that got busted for the various weapons and assault charges are a disgrace to the University and belong nowhere near the football field. And Mack Brown is no more a babysitter than Bob Stoops and neither can monitor the behavior of 85+ athletes on a daily basis and they are not responsible for their actions. And since he has yet to enroll, indicting Stoops responsible for Jarobe's actions is laughable. While I hate the fact that Stoops has enjoyed success against Texas, by all accounts he is a classy individual and I admire the way he handled the Bomar situation.

I agree that young men make mistakes and they do deserve second chances. Melton and Kindle both got busted for DUI, got suspended for 3 games and were allowed back on the team. And in my mind Granger falls into the same category. He should run steps until he pukes his small intestine and the run some more, sit a couple of games, and then he is all squared up in my mind.

I consider myself very objective and am quick to criticize Texas for its actions/inactions just as I am a rival. But to rationalize the behavior of a star player as was done above is simply pathetic.

footballfanatic
3/10/2008, 11:34 AM
For anyone who wants a little insight into the mindless moronic thinking that some of these kids possess should read Friday Night Lights. Two stars form the state championship Carter team who have been courted by major universities go on a robbing spree...for the fun of it!!!!! When they are caught, they are genuinely surprised by the fuss, and assume it will be taken care of of--just like everything else they had ever done. Anyway, it's a true story, and leave you wondering just how far our soicety seems to be tumbllng.

Vic n Tulsa
3/10/2008, 11:46 AM

Let's see...Book'Em Sooners! I love the sound of that...What goes around comes around!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!:texan:

Collier11
3/10/2008, 11:48 AM
Let's see...Book'Em Sooners! I love the sound of that...What goes around comes around!

that was creative, jackazz

birddog
3/10/2008, 11:51 AM

yeah, because stoops is already responsible for a kid in high school. maybe stoops even moved to georgia to keep a careful watch on him and jarboe STILL committed those crimes. :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
3/10/2008, 12:21 PM

Ya know
If any of us went to your site and Gave Yall a 10th Of the Shat Yall Give here we would be bained so Fast :rolleyes:

UTgolfer
3/10/2008, 12:31 PM
Ya know
If any of us went to your site and Gave Yall a 10th Of the Shat Yall Give here we would be bained so Fast :rolleyes:

Try it and see. Lots of OU fans on hornfans. Especially when there is a player incident.

soonerfan28
3/10/2008, 12:44 PM
Maybe this is a good time to move Madu to reciever. With the depth at running back and Madu having no real shot at seeing the field maybe we can see what he can do in the slot. I know we still have Manuel Johnson and they are raving about Broyles skills, but maybe Madu would be able to move up the depth chart there.

CK Sooner
3/10/2008, 12:45 PM
Try it and see. Lots of OU fans on hornfans. Especially when there is a player incident.

I got banned two times over at whorefans for talking about their arrests.

aero
3/10/2008, 01:00 PM
What did Forrest Gumps mom say about recruiting classes? Something about a box of chocolates? We never know if these kids will see the field, graduate or even keep up with their school work, or even step on campus. I would guess most of us shake our heads and wonder how someone with such a grand opportunity could even think about stepping out of line even a little bit. But they are kids. Can you really know who they are, their background, their morals, their basis for decision making - just from recruiting? Granger was here and, as far as I know, didn't have any prior issues. If Stoops had kicked him off, fine by me, but I don't mind giving 2nd chances as long as it isn't murder, rape, child pornography, or slandering Coach Switzer. As for Jarboe, it is a shame and I would say let the system figure out his guilt or innocence, but OU has done o.k. without him to this point and I would just as soon lose without him than win with him.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/10/2008, 01:32 PM

Yeah, but probably one and done...;)

NorthernIowaSooner
3/10/2008, 02:54 PM
new details, it was a gun

http://newsok.com/article/3214414/1205178268

Collier11
3/10/2008, 03:00 PM
new details, it was a gun

http://newsok.com/article/3214414/1205178268

That story sounds even more serious than just having a gun on school property...his scholly will not be honored and I can only imagine what his plans were for having a stolen, loaded gun at school in his waist band.

And the guy had a yellow Geo, YIKES!

NorthernIowaSooner
3/10/2008, 03:03 PM
yeah nothing cool about a yellow geo storm. so with the suspension part from school for a year would he even graduate this year?

Collier11
3/10/2008, 03:10 PM
yeah nothing cool about a yellow geo storm. so with the suspension part from school for a year would he even graduate this year?

I wouldnt think so, not sure if they take into consideration the current academic standing but I would doubt he will

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2008, 03:29 PM
His offer needs to be pulled this week.

Send the signal. You always hear "We're waiting for all the details."

Well, you got em. Pull the plug, pronto while the story is still national and your pulling of the schollie will be included in the articles.

OU-HSV
3/10/2008, 07:29 PM
His offer needs to be pulled this week.

Send the signal. You always hear "We're waiting for all the details."

Well, you got em. Pull the plug, pronto while the story is still national and your pulling of the schollie will be included in the articles.

This is exactly what needs to happen

Monster Zero
3/10/2008, 07:52 PM
Better now than a year or two from now, at the worst possible time...

shaun4411
3/10/2008, 08:11 PM
This is exactly what needs to happen

bob should call julio jones and say "hey julio, we have a WR opening for ya".

olevetonahill
3/10/2008, 08:13 PM

I dont Go there Cause Yall dont interest Me enough to Care what Yall say !

Collier11
3/10/2008, 08:13 PM
bob should call julio jones and say "hey julio, we have a WR opening for ya".

yea since thats not a ncaa violation or anything :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
3/10/2008, 08:24 PM
Hang him from the Highest Tree :mad:
At this Point The Boy Is ACCUSED, Not Convicted .
Course here On the SF.com
we all Agree
Guilty Till Proven innocent . Right ? :rolleyes:

PLaw
3/10/2008, 08:25 PM

This allegation must be investigated and thus be considered on the merits of the case. If it is true, then it brings back too many bad memories of '87-'88. We don't need any more firearms in Bud Wilkinson Hall.

Boomer

TheHumanAlphabet
3/11/2008, 01:14 PM
Dang Bob, come out with a statement already. Too much bleeding here with multiple stories of "OU Recruit" gun charges on school grounds...

dw17
3/12/2008, 03:10 PM
What on earth was he doing going back to school at 3:30 with a loaded pistol? Not much good that could have come from that.

picasso
3/12/2008, 05:17 PM

yeah that's really funny. a high school kid get's caught packin heat. I sure hope he's not dating your daughter there Vickie.

I personally like the sound of back to back Big 12 Champs Sooners!

doosh.

Theskipster
3/14/2008, 07:13 AM
http://newsok.com/article/3216068/1205465820

Oklahoma football signee Josh Jarboe told an Atlanta television station Thursday that he's still planning on coming to OU despite being charged with two felony gun counts late last week.

“I still have my scholarship, I'm still going to Oklahoma,” Jarboe told JaQuitta Williams of WSB-TV. “If I don't go to Oklahoma, I'm going somewhere. This isn't fixing to just stop me.”

Jarboe, 18, was charged in DeKalb County, Ga., with theft by receiving a gun and carrying a weapon within a school safety zone stemming from a March 6 arrest.

“If you know me, (you know) I'm a good person. This is just a speed bump that has slowed me down,” Jarboe said. “I'm going to get up out of this and go on doing what I'm supposed to be doing.”

“I ain't never been in trouble. Never been,” Jarboe said. “I was getting dropped off for my track meet. It was in his car. That's it.”

CK Sooner
3/14/2008, 08:14 AM
Video Interview.

http://www.wsbtv.com/video/15588213/index.html

cvsooner
3/14/2008, 12:45 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3216068/1205465820

Oklahoma football signee Josh Jarboe told an Atlanta television station Thursday that he's still planning on coming to OU despite being charged with two felony gun counts late last week.
{snipped}
“I ain't never been in trouble. Never been,” Jarboe said. “I was getting dropped off for my track meet. It was in his car. That's it.”

You stuck the gun in the waistband of your pants to go to a track meet? That's some hellacious starter pistol there, boy-o....

Fraggle145
3/14/2008, 12:55 PM
Video Interview.

http://www.wsbtv.com/video/15588213/index.html

Damn... That dude is country. I almost needed an interpreter.

Seamus
3/14/2008, 01:26 PM
Damn... That dude is country. I almost needed an interpreter.

He got that hellified krunkstah lean ... :cool:

shaun4411
3/14/2008, 01:43 PM
he looks 25

JLEW1818
3/14/2008, 02:44 PM
Okay can I see everybodys percentages that he will attend OU and play football?

10%

MojoRisen
3/14/2008, 02:59 PM
What if it was the other guys gun? And he was just playing with it. Pretty dumb but it was in fact the gun that was stolen as well.

Not to be a cool aid drinker- but that is better than having a Gun on you when caught or in your locker and also a bunch of stolen property.

This could actually be a dumb mistake- fooling around with another guys gun and typically they are all stolen & un-registered.

I am not sure what version of the story to buy yet... now

I expected more stolen property and some type of investigation or something.

sooneron
3/14/2008, 03:29 PM
WTF did he get on the ACT?

soonerfan28
3/14/2008, 05:12 PM
At least he dressed for the interview.

cvsooner
3/14/2008, 07:00 PM
Increasingly he's looking like he needs to be someone else's problem. He must really be something on the football field if Stoops is even thinking about giving him a chance. I tend to agree with his approach that "we don't know all the facts and let the system sort it out," and perhaps he hasn't even talked to the kid yet. I don't know. But this is just looking like a headache and a half. After Dusty, and Bomar, and Granger...who needs this?

OU-HSV
3/15/2008, 02:17 AM
Increasingly he's looking like he needs to be someone else's problem. He must really be something on the football field if Stoops is even thinking about giving him a chance. I tend to agree with his approach that "we don't know all the facts and let the system sort it out," and perhaps he hasn't even talked to the kid yet. I don't know. But this is just looking like a headache and a half. After Dusty, and Bomar, and Granger...who needs this?

Yo, very well said.
Have some green :D

freshchris05
3/15/2008, 02:22 PM
By some of your reactions to his speech, I'm guessing you guys have never been to Georgia...

sooneron
3/15/2008, 02:44 PM
By some of your reactions to his speech, I'm guessing you guys have never been to Georgia...

I guess everyone answers the door shirtless when it's a newscrew knocking?

StoopTroup
3/15/2008, 02:46 PM
If you want something bad enough...the pitfalls of life won't get in the way.

People make mistakes.

Good people learn from them.

Hopefully it works out that this is a good kid.

sooneron
3/15/2008, 02:51 PM
If you want something bad enough...the pitfalls of life won't get in the way.

People make mistakes.

Good people learn from them.

Hopefully it works out that this is a good kid.

I agree to a point, but I tend to react differently(strongly) if there is a weapon involved.

sooneron
3/15/2008, 02:54 PM
And McGruder?

Well he did save the lives of a family involved in an auto accident. What have you done?

freshchris05
3/15/2008, 03:13 PM
I guess everyone answers the door shirtless when it's a newscrew knocking?

heh... again.. i don't think you've ever been to georgia haha...

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2008, 04:27 PM
Well he did save the lives of a family involved in an auto accident. What have you done?

The decision to enroll McGruder can only be evaluated in terms of what was known at the time of his arrest. While I am sure it is quite possible for Charles Manson to save a life if he was released, I am not willing to let him out of prison to find out. And if he did manage to save a life, that wouldn't have made the decision to let him out of prison wise.

And no, I am not comparing McGruder to Manson, just using an extreme example to clarify a point.

As for Jarboe, who in here wants the person in that video representing the University, an institution of higher learning? I sure don't.

SouthFortySooner
3/15/2008, 04:50 PM
After seeing that,as a parent I imagine my reaction to the letter stating, Dear Mr. and Mrs. Middle America, we are happy your son is coming to play for the Sooners. His roomate will be Josh Jarboe. :eek:

Big Red Ron
3/15/2008, 07:34 PM
If it's true that he's never been in trouble before and that it was the driver's gun. I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Scott D
3/15/2008, 07:40 PM
If it's true that he's never been in trouble before and that it was the driver's gun. I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

these yahoos would likely claim they'd disown their own mother if she was in a poor legal situation without knowing a full story ;)

Frozen Sooner
3/15/2008, 07:57 PM
If I was in that kind of shape, I wouldn't just answer the door shirtless, I'd go to school shirtless.

Socrefbek
3/15/2008, 09:18 PM
It really does not matter. Coach Stoops is doing the right thing. If convicted of a felony ... no scholly. If the case is dismissed then he comes to OU. Kids do dumb stuff and he could have just been goofing around with the other kids gun.

Driver: "Yo dog, check out this heat I picked up"

Jarboe: " Man that's a bad azz piece, let me check it out. Remember how the dude stuck it down his pants in Boyz in the Hood? Check this out ..."

About this time the principal sees them and calls in security ...

Just sayin ... :pop:

soonerboy_odanorth
3/16/2008, 12:17 AM
When are we going to quit giving a free pass to kids that have "had it tough."???

I ain't no hater on those less fortunate...

But.....

There needs to be a "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" quality to some of this shi-ite.... otherwise it is disengenuous....

Hmph!!!

insuranceman_22
3/16/2008, 12:43 AM
While we (or at least I) certainly don't know all the facts......I'm very hesitant with this one. We've had foul ups at OU in the past, some turned it around, others didn't.....but Jarboe is a tough sell to me at this point. Just have to wait until everything comes out.

OU-HSV
3/16/2008, 08:15 PM
If I was in that kind of shape, I wouldn't just answer the door shirtless, I'd go to school shirtless.

However, on that same note...you're wise enough to go to school gunless as well

Frozen Sooner
3/16/2008, 09:38 PM
Just packing these.

*kisses left and right biceps*

Collier11
3/16/2008, 09:44 PM
Just packing these.

I heard tickets were free :D

SouthFortySooner
3/16/2008, 09:57 PM
It really does not matter. Coach Stoops is doing the right thing. If convicted of a felony ... no scholly. If the case is dismissed then he comes to OU.

Man, Socretes, you made read this whole thing again. I thought I had kept up. Where did you see/hear what Coach Stoops is doing?

OU-HSV
3/16/2008, 10:26 PM
Just packing these.

Obligatory "which way to the beach?"

HBick
3/17/2008, 03:06 AM
In the state of Georgia if you are arrested for any type of firearm in a public school you are suspended for a year. Even being involved causes problems, but hopefully he'll be able to get around this. At least this is being overshadowed now by Noel Devine's arrest.