PDA

View Full Version : Jermie Calhoun strikes the pose!

oupride
3/7/2008, 01:54 PM
NO one in Alamo city is happier than me when I found out Jermie Calhoun, considered the #1 RB in the nation from Van, Tx committed to OU. However, I was disturbed today as my eyes fell upon Jermie striking the Heisman pose on the cover of the latest Sooner Spectator. I want to believe that Jermie was persuaded into his performance by Mark Roberts who is given credit for the content of the cover, however I now question the attitude of Jermie. Not only does he have to follow the footsteps of Adrian Peterson, Jermie could see very little playing time time in 2008. Other posters to this board know that I do not like to post negative comments and this thred throws me at the mercy of bad spek, however I hardly think now in Calhoun's career is to suggest comparisons to Billy Vessels, Steve Owens and Billy Sims. Unless Mark Robert's has persuaded President Boren to prepare a place in Heisman Park, I urge him to use better judgement and present our players in a more humble posture in the future to his readers.

Animal Mother
3/7/2008, 02:02 PM
NO one in Alamo city is happier than me when I found out Jermie Calhoun, considered the #1 RB in the nation from Van, Tx committed to OU. However, I was disturbed today as my eyes fell upon Jermie striking the Heisman pose on the cover of the latest Sooner Spectator. I want to believe that Jermie was persuaded into his performance by Mark Roberts who is given credit for the content of the cover, however I now question the attitude of Jermie. Not only does he have to follow the footsteps of Adrian Peterson, Jermie could see very little playing time time in 2008. Other posters to this board know that I do not like to post negative comments and this thred throws me at the mercy of bad spek, however I hardly think now in Calhoun's career to suggest comparisons to Billy Vessels, Steve Owens and Billy Sims. Unless Mark Robert's has persuaded President Boren to prepare a place in Heisman Park, I urge him to use better judgement and present our players in a more humble posture in the future to his readers.

Not a great idea, but I don't believe in curses or your career being influenced by a photograph as in making an opposing player want to break off parts of you on a tackle. Maybe Roberts sees it as an opportunity to rub it in a circular motion in the face of saxet?

sooner518
3/7/2008, 02:11 PM
its a magazine cover. who cares.

Collier11
3/7/2008, 02:19 PM
He could have been smarter about it but I dont see anywhere how it relates to his attitude. From all I hear the guy is a hard worker and a good guy.

JohnnyMack
3/7/2008, 02:25 PM
I say we revoke his scholarship and set fire to the Sooner Spectator offices.

http://www.soonerspectator.com/images/featureimages/0802cover.jpg

Partial Qualifier
3/7/2008, 02:29 PM
its a magazine cover. who cares.

Indeed and if I really wanted to get bent over the thing, It'd be about the fact that someone felt it necessary to pay homage to the Heisman, which has essentially become (in my own admittedly cynical view) an ESPN-controlled popularity contest.

cvsooner
3/7/2008, 02:30 PM
Pay homage to the Heisman? Looks like a stiffarm to me.

Partial Qualifier
3/7/2008, 02:32 PM
that was my first thought too CV, but there's a pic of the heisman trophy behind him

TheUnnamedSooner
3/7/2008, 02:44 PM
Meh, let's see how his attitude and play is on the field before we start judgment.

swardboy
3/7/2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah, but the dude's got a srsly look on his face.

I love any kid who shows the enthusiasm Jermie has in coming to OU....

Jay C. Upchurch
3/7/2008, 02:57 PM
Man, I hope this "controversy" generates a lot of new subscribers for the magazine. That would be great!

Unfortunately, the idea for the cover is rather innocent. No one is trying to say Mr. Calhoun is going to win the Heisman Trophy next season or even in 2009. That would be holding the young man to some rather unreasonable expectations.

But simply put, players aspire to do great things during their time at the University of Oklahoma. In fact, every person connected to the OU football program has high hopes and great expections.

Those are reasons Calhoun listed as to why he chose to become a Sooner. He wouldn't be coming to OU if he didn't want to play for championships and be the best possible player he can be. Winning the Heisman is the goal of all great or potentially-great running backs and quarterbacks.

Before he is done at OU, Calhoun will be in that mix. And I would not be surprised to see him win it. That being said, I would not be surprised to see DeMarco Murray win it in 2008 or 2009.

I really hope me saying that doesn't put too much pressure on him.

Scott D
3/7/2008, 03:00 PM
Jay dropping the hammer on you ninnies. I like it :D

picasso
3/7/2008, 03:13 PM
looks good to me. We probably tell recruits to come here so's they can win one of those things.

StoopTroup
3/7/2008, 03:26 PM
I think everybody expected AD to win a Heisman...

It didn't work out.

I don't think it was a magazine cover that cost him the trophy either.

stoopified
3/7/2008, 03:48 PM
NO one in Alamo city is happier than me when I found out Jermie Calhoun, considered the #1 RB in the nation from Van, Tx committed to OU. However, I was disturbed today as my eyes fell upon Jermie striking the Heisman pose on the cover of the latest Sooner Spectator. I want to believe that Jermie was persuaded into his performance by Mark Roberts who is given credit for the content of the cover, however I now question the attitude of Jermie. Not only does he have to follow the footsteps of Adrian Peterson, Jermie could see very little playing time time in 2008. Other posters to this board know that I do not like to post negative comments and this thred throws me at the mercy of bad spek, however I hardly think now in Calhoun's career is to suggest comparisons to Billy Vessels, Steve Owens and Billy Sims. Unless Mark Robert's has persuaded President Boren to prepare a place in Heisman Park, I urge him to use better judgement and present our players in a more humble posture in the future to his readers.Before you get TOO upset with Calhoun you should recall AD's actions after signing with OU.First he stated that he WOULD start as a frosh,he also said he would win a Heisman and become OU's all-time leading rusher.He further stated that IF he had gone to UT he would have beaten out CEDRIC THE GREAT to start as a true frosh.He also added that IF he went to USC he would beat out Bush and White to be the starting TB at USC.I remember vividy thinking that we were going to have an over-hyped prima dona on OUr hands.AD turned out OK,so I think Calhoun is nothing to worry about.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/7/2008, 04:10 PM
^^^ I also remember him saying that IF he ended up staying all 4 years he would own Billy Simms rushing record.

Civicus_Sooner
3/7/2008, 04:17 PM
^^^ I also remember him saying that IF he ended up staying all 4 years he would own Billy Simms rushing record.And he was right, cept he only stayed for three.

Charla
3/7/2008, 04:18 PM
To bad he didn't say he wanted to play defense.

badger
3/7/2008, 04:36 PM
Well, you can still be the greatest RB in the world and not win the Heisman at OU (see Peterson, Adrian)

But, there's no question that while OSU likes to say they are Tailback U, we were the ones that had all the great ones not named Barry Sanders :D

JLEW1818
3/7/2008, 06:24 PM
I see him RS this year. With DM and CB, I just dont see him getting the chance. He's not in spring ball is he? AD was a blue moon for a freshman. But who knows.

SouthFortySooner
3/7/2008, 06:54 PM
I say stiffarm pic. Heisman added later. If he would have been asked to do a Heisman pose he woulda hunkered down and a done it right. Me thinks. :)

cvsooner
3/7/2008, 07:23 PM
Exactly. The Heisman was added in some image editing program. I don't think it was Calhoun's idea. Heck, for all that, maybe he's just fending off the paparazzi..."no pictures, please..."

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2008, 08:55 PM
Jermie did not know they would place a Heisman Trophy behind his photo. Take the Heisman out of the background and no one would have made the connection. He was simply told to make a menacing face and stick out his hand in stiff-arm fashion. It doesn't even look like a Heisman pose.

OU-HSV
3/7/2008, 09:15 PM
Ah, I say who the heck cares. All it is, is a pic for a magazine. Did it get your attention???.....yes, so mission accomplished. Besides, it may not be far fetched in the future for him to win the Heisman. After all...seems like the staff always does a great job of landing super talented RBs.
Jay C this was another great, in depth issue. A very fine read as always.

SoonerinSouthlake
3/9/2008, 05:21 PM
that was my first thought too CV, but there's a pic of the heisman trophy behind him

what a doofus...throwing that pose when that tiny little heisman was hovering right over his shoulder....its as if he is trying to convince us he didnt know it was there. ;)