PDA

View Full Version : Last Doughboy Gets Presidential 'Thank You'

sooner n houston
3/7/2008, 10:33 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=4404661&page=1

Cool!

Flagstaffsooner
3/7/2008, 03:34 PM
What a great story. I thought that all the ambulance drivers were CO's and Quakers and stuff.

BigRedJed
3/7/2008, 03:50 PM
That's a great story. I was kind of surprised by it when I saw it last night, but I guess that you would have had to be over 100 at this point to have served, even at the end of the conflict.

SoonerStormchaser
3/7/2008, 03:55 PM
The sad thing is that the odds are great that we'll have no WWI vets by the end of the year...

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 05:39 PM
The sad thing is that the odds are great that we'll have no WWI vets by the end of the year...

We all have to Go sometime .
I also Liked that story .

Kels
3/7/2008, 09:37 PM
Great story! My next-door-neighbor as a kid was a combat vet of WWI. He tried to join the Navy and the Marines but they wouldn't take him (because of a bad hip). He told me he immediately went down to the Army recruiting station and they signed him up right away.

He made warrant officer by the end of the war. He fought at St. Mihel and the Argonne. I'm looking at the Croix de Guerre he was awarded as I type this. He was gassed, hit by shrapnel, and lost his hearing in one ear. He told me that he saw the Red Baron flying over his position at sunset one evening. His widow gave me his trench knife and German helmets from some POWs he captured.

Anyway, for a kid who didn't have a grandfather, Clarence Dietz was a real hero to me. He died in 1984 at the age of 93. I really miss him.

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 10:21 PM
Kels 1st an 2nd WW vets Had it tuff , Treasure those Gifts . Pics here would Be nice
Out side of a Busted right Eardrum , and a Few small lil holes I went Unscathed

Kels
3/7/2008, 10:35 PM
Kels 1st an 2nd WW vets Had it tuff , Treasure those Gifts . Pics here would Be nice

I'll see if I can't put them up later.

Kels
3/7/2008, 11:38 PM

Here you go OV . . .

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5967/img1817ne8.jpg