PDA

View Full Version : Goin' to Kansas City?

opksooner
3/6/2008, 08:48 PM
I received the following info from the KC OU Alumni Club and thought it would be useful to anyone coming up here for the Big XII Tournament. Lotsa "goin's on" goin' on.

Enjoy.

In conjunction with the 2008 Big XII Basketball Championships, Kansas City is very excited to officially launch our revitalized downtown area, the Kansas City Power & Light District (the District). This $850 million entertainment district is the largest new development project in the Midwest, covering the 9 blocks across from the Sprint Center, with various retail, dinning, and entertainment options and providing a vital link between downtown Kansas City’s convention center, hotels, businesses and attractions.

It is located between the blocks of 12th Street & Truman Road and Baltimore Ave. & Grand Ave. The District will feature broad, brick-paved sidewalks, extensive landscape, fountains, fire pits, pocket parks and outdoor seating. Given the close proximity of the women's and men's championship arenas to each other, the District will provide a festival atmosphere that is sure to have something for everyone including music on the corners, Fan Fest, food & drink venues, the College Basketball Experience, and the Kansas City Live! stage that will feature live music throughout the championships and bracketology on the big screens on Sunday.

Contained within one block of the District, Kansas City Live! features a multilevel design with dining and entertainment options, surrounding a covered center atrium for events of all types. Some specifics, as known to date, are listed below:

Women’s Spirit Rallies

Kansas City Convention Center, Level two, in rooms 2502 B and 2504 A. There will also be rooms designated to teams specifically for their fans & alumni. To get to the rallies, take the walkway from Municipal Auditorium, then turn left once you are in the convention center.

Men's Spirit Rallies

Kansas City Power & Light District, Kansas City Live! & parking lot next to Sprint Center (between Truman and Grand), at the Fan Fest/Basketball Oasis Tent, daily beginning March 13. This will be the gathering spot for fans and alumni groups.

Fan Fest/Basketball Oasis Tent

When: Thursday, March 13 thru Sunday, March 16 (10 a.m. - 10 p.m.)
Where: Parking lot next to Sprint Center (between Truman and Grand)
What you'll find: Delicious Kansas City food favorites, drinks, big-screen televisions and much more.

Kansas City Live!

Thursday, March 13 - Jeff Jenkins and the International Band of Leisure - 4-6 p.m.
Friday, March 14 - 90 minutes - 8:30-9:30 p.m. THEN Sister Hazel - 10 - 11:15 p.m.

Daily Activities

Kansas City Jazz - artists will play throughout the District.
Road to Glory - unique experience showcasing basketball greats from around the region, set up on 14th Street between Sprint Center and Municipal Auditorium.

College Basketball Experience

Connected to the Sprint Center arena via a common lobby, the 41,500-square-foot entertainment facility contains hands-on, interactive basketball exhibits and houses the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. Once inside, a coach’s voice accompanies fans throughout the facility, guiding them through several stations to hone their skills. High-energy exhibits recreate the intensity of a college basketball game — from foul-line hecklers to a last-second buzzer beater. The ESPNU anchor desk provides fans the opportunity to call the play-by-play of college’s most memorable games, just like on SportsCenter. Inside the Mentor’s Circle area, the nation’s finest coaches describe who inspired them and visitors can record their own video testimonials.

KC P&L District Venues open/*scheduled to be open:

Howl at the Moon (dueling piano bar)
McFadden's Sports Saloon (Irish-themed sports bar)
Ted's Montana Grill (national restaurant chain)
Vinino (southern European wine bar and bistro)
Gordon Biersch Brewery and Restaurant * (hand-crafted beer and made-from-scratch food)
Bristol Seafood Grill * (local seafood legend)
Tengo Sed Cantina * (high-energy hangout with South-of-the-border flavor)
Angel's Rock Bar * (rock bar with live and recorded music)
Lucky Strike Lanes * (the coolest bowling alley you've ever seen)
Raglan Road * (Irish pub made in Ireland, literally)
Famous Dave's Barbecue * (award-winning barbecue)
Chefburger * (locally-owned, create-your-own burger restaurant)
Chipotle Mexican Grill * (national Mexican restaurant chain)
Sprint Studio * (retail shop)

Sooner24
3/8/2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the info!

We will be arriving at the downtown Marriott on Wed. so it looks like we will be right in the heart of the action.

KCPowercat
3/9/2008, 03:10 PM
As in years past when Big 12 events were happening in KC, I try to visit all the big 12 sites (with fans that actually travel) to help out the fans. For those Sooners fans traveling down to KC for the tournament, I'd like to offer my services for any help you might need. I'm part of the KC Big 12 fan information volunteer group and would be happy to get any questions out of the way before you head south. Post them here or email me at and I'll get you the info as far as transportation options, hotels, eating, drinking, things to do, whatever....

We will have fan info volunteers setup at downtown hotels to help out fans as well...other hotels have gotten information for their front desk or doormen to help fans out.

Should be an awesome tournament.

SleestakSooner
3/9/2008, 05:16 PM
As in years past when Big 12 events were happening in KC, I try to visit all the big 12 sites (with fans that actually travel) to help out the fans. For those Sooners fans traveling down to KC for the tournament, I'd like to offer my services for any help you might need. I'm part of the KC Big 12 fan information volunteer group and would be happy to get any questions out of the way before you head south. Post them here or email me at [email protected] and I'll get you the info as far as transportation options, hotels, eating, drinking, things to do, whatever....

We will have fan info volunteers setup at downtown hotels to help out fans as well...other hotels have gotten information for their front desk or doormen to help fans out.

Just one question... why would Sooner fans travel south to get to KC? ;)

Jeopardude
3/9/2008, 05:32 PM
As in years past when Big 12 events were happening in KC, I try to visit all the big 12 sites (with fans that actually travel) to help out the fans. For those Sooners fans traveling down to KC for the tournament, I'd like to offer my services for any help you might need. I'm part of the KC Big 12 fan information volunteer group and would be happy to get any questions out of the way before you head south. Post them here or email me at [email protected] and I'll get you the info as far as transportation options, hotels, eating, drinking, things to do, whatever....

This post alone is making me thinking about a road trip. I hope OKC's this prepared and helpful for the tourney next year.

KCPowercat
3/9/2008, 06:30 PM
Just one question... why would Sooner fans travel south to get to KC? ;)

Caught me in a cut and paste from my ISU post....I'm really not THAT bad at giving directions.