PDA

View Full Version : Here's a good link about our native snakes

Jerk
3/6/2008, 08:36 PM
I just thought this was really cool.

http://www.oksnakes.org/index.cfm?id=6&all=1

mdklatt
3/6/2008, 08:59 PM
There's nothing about the three-fisted trouser snake in there.

Oh wait...I'm not native to Oklahoma. :texan:

C&CDean
3/6/2008, 09:05 PM
Yup. Just like I've always told you goobers, there ain't no cottonmouths in Cleveland County. Or McClain. Or Grady. Or.....

JohnnyMack
3/6/2008, 09:07 PM
Look, a picture of Dean pleasuring himself:

http://www.oksnakes.org/admin/photogallery/images/thumb/rough%20earth%20snake%207.JPG

mdklatt
3/6/2008, 09:08 PM
Yup. Just like I've always told you goobers, there ain't no cottonmouths in Cleveland County. Or McClain. Or Grady. Or.....

What's with the range maps? I get this question a lot, in fact. Visitors to oksnakes.org wonder why the range map for a particular species doesn't show the animal in their county when they know they're there. First, let me state that I don't generate the maps. They were all taken from the latest edition of A Field Guide To Oklahoma's Amphibians And Reptiles by Greg and Lynnette Sievert. Here is an explanation of the maps by the authors, as it appears in their new book:

"Herpetologists have no way of finding and tracking every amphibian and reptile in Oklahoma. The range maps we have constructed for each species in this book are based upon the combined efforts of Greg Sievert, Richard Lardie, Mark Howery, and Julianne Hoagland. The range maps drawn for each species include only the counties in which the senior author (who is solely responsible for any errors) believes they currently exist, rather than where they could be found based on similar habitat, as in the first editions. "

*cough*

I've seen cottonmouths swimming near the shore at Thunderbird. Or something that looks just the like the description of cottonmouths on that web site.

JPNSKER
3/7/2008, 12:16 AM
Man, that reminds me of growing up. I used to live on the OK/KS border & we used to go tubing on the Cimmaron (sp?) river. Can't tell you how many snakes we saw, but just thinking back about it, gives me the shivers.... With no cell phones & miles away from anyone, somebody probably would've died if they'd been bitten....