PDA

View Full Version : Powah Tewls

NormanPride
3/6/2008, 12:22 PM
What are your favorite brands/tools?

badger and I just bought a house, so we need some advice in this area.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 12:28 PM
two different schools of thought for you.

Going to be doing a lot of remodeling and stuff on your own? Buy high quality brands, this generally means more esspinsivo. If you are buying just for small projects and occasional stuff, go cheap. A lot of the cheap stuff works just fine. Like Delta stuff.

Do not skimp on a cordless drill. Get something good, with a good warranty. You will use it for EVERYTHING. I bought a craftsman, and I flat wear it out and it's great. DeWalts are hit and miss. Hitachi's are expensive but i've never heard complaints.

good luck.

OUDoc
3/6/2008, 12:30 PM
Craftsman's usually a good bet. (I think their power stuff is made by Ryobi anyway).

soonerbrat
3/6/2008, 12:32 PM
What are your favorite brands/tools?

badger and I just bought a house, so we need some advice in this area.

the rabbit.

mxATVracer10
3/6/2008, 12:33 PM
+1 more for Craftsman

This should have been a pole. :texan:

frankensooner
3/6/2008, 12:34 PM
Of course it varies by tool type.

Power Tools
Milwaukee tool DeWalt Hitachi

Hammers:
Plumb

Compound Miter Saws:
Delta DeWalt
Really, just do a little research and you will be fine.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 12:49 PM
the rabbit.

I see what you did there.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 12:52 PM
I'm really torn on the DeWalt stuff....I went through 4, count them, FOUR cordless drill and they ALL died very quickly, and painfully. The Craftsman has been a champ for more than 3 years, and I use it almost daily.

I also have a DeWalt sawsall that just can't be beaten, it's been dropped, rained on, abused and it's just unstoppable.

I wish their cordless drill were that good.

Whet
3/6/2008, 01:55 PM
The type of tools is also important!

- Compound miter saw - if you can get a sliding compound miter saw, perfect!
- Cordless drill
- Cordless screwdriver
- For big projects, think about air compressor and nail guns. Finishing and brad would be a good start. You can use them for all of your trim work.

Those should give you a good start!

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 02:15 PM
why on earth would you need a cordless screwdriver if you already have a cordless drill?

StoopTroup
3/6/2008, 02:29 PM
While at Leapin louies Lagoon on Sunday, I saw that Hilti was having some sort of event in one of the hotel's ballrooms.

Most folks don't think about hilti tools but it's one of the reasons that Tulsa > OKC.

:pop:

StoopTroup
3/6/2008, 02:31 PM
why on earth would you need a cordless screwdriver if you already have a cordless drill?

Most cordless screwdrivers come with a way of setting the torque on the power of the unit.

Cordless drills don't.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 02:36 PM
pfffft, buy a better cordless drill. Most ALL of the new ones have torque settings.

so there.

StoopTroup
3/6/2008, 02:38 PM
pfffft, buy a better cordless drill. Most ALL of the new ones have torque settings.

so there.

Those are really screwguns.:P

NormanPride
3/6/2008, 02:38 PM
What tools are good to start out with? I have an amazing cache of constructive implements (a screwdriver and a hammer) so keep that in mind.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm not looking to do major renovations, just minor touch-ups/projects for a while.

StoopTroup
3/6/2008, 02:49 PM
dremel

OCUDad
3/6/2008, 02:52 PM
why on earth would you need a cordless screwdriver if you already have a cordless drill?Cordless screwdriver is more compact, fits in more places and is less clumsy than the drill. I have both cordless drill (Makita) and cordless screwdriver (Black & Decker), and there are times I just don't want to lug the big ol' 3/8" drill around just to do small handy work around the house.

OUAndy1807
3/6/2008, 02:56 PM
hilti is overpriced, but there are some items that only they make.

I have a craftsman drill/saw combo with a 3 year over the counter trade in for like $89. 18v. You can't beat that.

Dewalt makes good stuff. Generally it's overpriced, but it lasts forever. It's the industry standard in commercial construction for a reason.

For my personal stuff, I think Makita is a good blend of price/quality. As long as you stick with higher quality stuff (not necessarily top of the line) you'll be ok.

Stay away from anything that says "contractor grade" Usually that's a sure sign that the product isn't contractor grade. I generally stay away from the cheaper brands that are sold as home-improvement models like black and decker, ryobi, etc....

OUAndy1807
3/6/2008, 02:58 PM
Cordless screwdriver is more compact, fits in more places and is less clumsy than the drill. I have both cordless drill (Makita) and cordless screwdriver (Black & Decker), and there are times I just don't want to lug the big ol' 3/8" drill around just to do small handy work around the house.
a 3/8" drill? Is it designed to be used by Barbie?;)

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:01 PM
Cordless screwdriver is more compact, fits in more places and is less clumsy than the drill. I have both cordless drill (Makita) and cordless screwdriver (Black & Decker), and there are times I just don't want to lug the big ol' 3/8" drill around just to do small handy work around the house.

are you sure you're a man?

NormanPride
3/6/2008, 03:03 PM
What's a good generic saw to use with simple woodworking?

Beef
3/6/2008, 03:08 PM
Definitely get a good cordless drill. You will use the crap out of it. I would also get a corded drill and a reciprocating saw. You will sometimes need the power that a corded drill gives you and a reciprocating saw is fun to tear **** up with. Those should cover the basics.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:09 PM
well, you could just buy a hand saw, if it's really simple.

or buy yourself a skilsaw/circular saw. and when picking a circular saw blade, more teeth equals smoother cut, less teeth faster, rougher cut.

Beef
3/6/2008, 03:10 PM
What's a good generic saw to use with simple woodworking?
Like cutting trim or building things like a deck?

NormanPride
3/6/2008, 03:11 PM
More like cutting trim or making a simple desk.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:12 PM
Like cutting trim or building things like a deck?

and yes, it matters.

3/6/2008, 03:12 PM
Once again, Craftsman makes a decent saw. If you are getting a miter saw, I don't recommend Ryobi. I use the miter saw all the time, but almost lost part of my hand when the Ryobi's blade guard flung off one night. Now I have a Delta compound miter saw and it's just about my favorite power tool in my arsenal.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:13 PM
cutting trim = radial arm saw/chop saw/miter saw

making a desk = circular saw/ table saw

Beef
3/6/2008, 03:14 PM
A power mitre saw comes in handy for that. Mine has turned out to be a good investment. I would also get a jigsaw.

Beef, go with the miter for doing trim work.

Whet

Because they are two different tools, used for two different projects.

You probably use a 20 oz claw hammer, rather than a 7 oz finishing hammer to put up trim, too! :D

The cordless screwdriver is just that, a screwdriver. For example, you would use a screwdriver, rather than a drill to remove/install an electrical outlet to the junction box; or changing the deadbolt on a door.......

If you need to drill a hole, use the drill, not screwdriver. Or, if you are going to drive deck screws, use the drill.

Seriously, you should also think about getting a how-to book on electrical wiring. As well as, a circuit tester......

OU4LIFE
Once again, Craftsman makes a decent saw. If you are getting a miter saw, I don't recommend Ryobi. I use the miter saw all the time, but almost lost part of my hand when the Ryobi's blade guard flung off one night. Now I have a Delta compound miter saw and it's just about my favorite power tool in my arsenal.

I got a new one for Christmas this year, it has a *doing finger quotations*Las-er.

NormanPride
3/6/2008, 03:15 PM
Hmm. I have no idea how much I'll use these tools afterwards. You all say you use them all the time, but what do you use them for? There are only so many desks to make, and only so much trim you can put on a house.

Please excuse my ignorance if I'm missing something obvious. :D

Beef
3/6/2008, 03:16 PM
As well as, a circuit tester......

If you're going to be screwing around with wires, that's the best $7 you can spend.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:16 PM
Because they are two different tools, used for two different projects.

You probably use a 20 oz claw hammer, rather than a 7 oz finishing hammer to put up trim, too! :D

The cordless screwdriver is just that, a screwdriver. For example, you would use a screwdriver, rather than a drill to remove/install an electrical outlet to the junction box; or changing the deadbolt on a door.......

If you need to drill a hole, use the drill, not screwdriver. Or, if you are going to drive deck screws, use the drill.

Seriously, you should also think about getting a how-to book on electrical wiring. As well as, a circuit tester......

I prefer a 24 ounce framing hammer for EVERYTHING.

StoopTroup
3/6/2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.veganmomma.com/blog%20pictures/Artsy%20Diva/Dremel%20Multipro%20Saw%20395.jpg

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:17 PM
Hmm. I have no idea how much I'll use these tools afterwards. You all say you use them all the time, but what do you use them for? There are only so many desks to make, and only so much trim you can put on a house.

first time homeowner much?

dude, if you are owning a home, trust me...you will use them.

a

lot

3/6/2008, 03:19 PM

You'll be surprised how much fun it is to make stuff once you get going. I started out just doing trim work and stuff, but now make custom gift boxes, shelves, dressers, etc. It is all quite rewarding.

OUAndy1807
3/6/2008, 03:21 PM

when was the last time ANYONE put up trim with a hammer? 1940?

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:21 PM
You'll be surprised how much fun it is to make stuff once you get going. I started out just doing trim work and stuff, but now make custom gift boxes, shelves, dressers, etc. It is all quite rewarding.

please edit this to sound more manly.

rewarding?

Whet
3/6/2008, 03:22 PM
You will always find new projects to do in your house! That is what is so great about owning vs. renting, you can change anything to the way you like it!

Also, there a several How-to books available that provide you with instructions on building stuff, or removing stuff and the tools to use for both.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:23 PM
when was the last time ANYONE put up trim with a hammer? 1940?

*raises hand*

last week? I redid all the inside oak trim work around the windows I installed, and I used a hammer AND a nail set....that's right...i'm old school.

Whet
I prefer a 24 ounce framing hammer for EVERYTHING.

It is the perfect tool for cracking black walnuts!

NormanPride
first time homeowner much?

dude, if you are owning a home, trust me...you will use them.

a

lot

No, this is my only time fist time homeownering. :D

I'll take your word for it. I love building things, so I have to be careful not to get carried away.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:26 PM
well, since we bought our house, I've done a ton of stuff. I've nearly finished replacing all 26 windows. Added in a custom in-wall for all my stereo/video/Home theater gear, built a center island for the kitchen, put in new cabinets and added tile countertops.

bathrooms are next. :)

3/6/2008, 03:26 PM
please edit this to sound more manly.

rewarding?

It is all KICK ***!

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:27 PM
I respect you again.

NormanPride
3/6/2008, 03:30 PM
The first thing I really want to do is revamp the master bathroom. It's all 1960's-ish.

OCUDad
3/6/2008, 03:35 PM
are you sure you're a man?Pffft. I suppose you play an entire round using only your putter. :) Different tools are there for a PURPOSE, dude. Use them or turn in your man card.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 04:08 PM
it clearly states on the back of my man card, more is better. This applies to everything.

I'd own a 50cc cordless screwdriver if I could. :)

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2008, 04:11 PM
well, since we bought our house, I've done a ton of stuff. I've nearly finished replacing all 26 windows. Added in a custom in-wall for all my stereo/video/Home theater gear, built a center island for the kitchen, put in new cabinets and added tile countertops.

bathrooms are next. :)

Please tell me you've just been using a hand-dug latrine out back until now.

StoopTroup
3/6/2008, 07:26 PM
Always make sure you have your PHD.

Post Hole Digger

OU4LIFE
3/7/2008, 09:23 AM
Please tell me you've just been using a hand-dug latrine out back until now.

seriously, who doesn't?

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2008, 12:29 PM
People without shovels.

StoopTroup
3/7/2008, 12:40 PM
Chainsaws come in handy.