PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with this?

Osce0la
3/6/2008, 10:58 AM
The woman that works with me turned in her 2 weeks notice last Wednesday (2/27)...The following Monday (3/3) she called in, Tuesday she called and told them she wouldn't be here until around noon, and yesterday she came in and worked until 11...Now she is mad because she was told this morning that she will not be listed as 'eligible for re-hire'. I don't agree with our managers on very many things, but I don't think she has any reason to be mad - hell, if we could just take time off whenever we felt like it during our final 2 weeks I'd never even show up...

OCUDad
3/6/2008, 11:00 AM
Pretty common short-timer's disease. I'm guessing she wasn't particularly valuable before giving notice.

Osce0la
3/6/2008, 11:03 AM
She is a good worker (annoying and a little stupid, but still a good worker)...Pretty much all 3 of us over here are viewed as 'bad employees' by our manager - biggest part of why I am glad I am getting the hell out of here. I just can't believe she is surprised that when she has only been here for a total of 7 hours during the first 3 days of this week (during her 2 week notice) they won't list her as eligible for re-hire...

Osce0la
3/6/2008, 11:06 AM
I am not starting my new job until the 24th, but will be leaving here on the 19th...I will get paid for the vacation days I was not able to use, so I figured I could just sit at hom Thursday and Friday and then start the new job on Monday...

Hot Rod
3/6/2008, 11:20 AM
So, she does want to have an option to come back to place where she doesn't seem to care about....makes sense.

Congrats though Osce0la!

TheHumanAlphabet
3/6/2008, 12:50 PM
So why would she care if she is "eligible for rehire" if she has been slacking like that...I don't get. Oh, BTW, I can think of only one job my entire life that I went to after I quit. It was my chicken frying job at Krystal's hamburgers in high school.

BigRedJed
3/6/2008, 01:40 PM
That's why a lot of managers let someone go the moment they give notice. Unless it's a pretty special/critical employee, there's not a lot to be gained by letting someone work out their two weeks, and often a lot to be lost by doing so.

sooner_born_1960
3/6/2008, 01:41 PM
I think it's best not to burn bridges.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2008, 01:43 PM
So why would she care if she is "eligible for rehire" if she has been slacking like that...I don't get. Oh, BTW, I can think of only one job my entire life that I went to after I quit. It was my chicken frying job at Krystal's hamburgers in high school.

Policy at my current employer is to not hire anyone who has a reference listing "Not eligible for rehire" within the last five years.

But yeah, calling in sick during your final two weeks is a no no. Heck, you want revenge-get everyone in your office sick in those last two weeks and cash in the extra leave!

Osce0la
3/6/2008, 01:45 PM
That's why a lot of managers let someone go the moment they give notice. Unless it's a pretty special/critical employee, there's not a lot to be gained by letting someone work out their two weeks, and often a lot to be lost by doing so.

She does have a critical job here (corporate actions)...If she just quit today (or if she had just walked out instead of giving a notice) there's not very many people here that would be able to take over for her (everyone else that knew how to do that desk has been run off by the current manager as well). About the only people that really know that desk are our manager and our supervisor (who still doesn't know it very well)...

It isn't that she doesn't like the company, she doesn't like the people we work for (same goes for me)...

Osce0la
3/6/2008, 01:48 PM
Policy at my current employer is to not hire anyone who has a reference listing "Not eligible for rehire" within the last five years.
But yeah, calling in sick during your final two weeks is a no no. Heck, you want revenge-get everyone in your office sick in those last two weeks and cash in the extra leave!

A lot of businesses have policies like that - that is why I wouldn't want it listed with this job...Not to mention, I love the company, there's just not anything open for me right now here and I do not want to have to work for this manager/supervisor anymore...

Our manager has run off a lot of people since he started. Nobody in our are was here when he took over - they all left. Another area he is over also has a completely different staff than when he started - because they all left as well...

StoopTroup
3/6/2008, 01:49 PM
Great scare tactics for the ones who stay.

If any of you sumbeaches leave and you act like Roseanne Roseanna Danna did...

http://blogs.ipswitch.com/archives/You're%20Fired.jpg

StoopTroup
3/6/2008, 01:51 PM
Always give proper notice.

Rules of proper notice (http://neighborsgo.beloblog.com/archives/iquit.jpg)

BigRedJed
3/6/2008, 01:54 PM
I've shown the door to some employees who gave notice, and let others work it out. Depends on the situation, and the employee. And by "show the door," it typically hasn't been as negative/confrontational as that sounds. A lot of times people really don't want to work the two weeks, and are just giving notice so as not to burn bridges. A lot of times when I've asked if they'd be OK leaving immediately, they were actually relieved.

I also have learned to not be inclined to re-hire people who leave once. It almost never turns out well. There are a number of people who have worked for me who I continue to be friendly with, and happy to see when they drop in for a visit, but who I would never consider re-hiring. Generally when people quit the first time, there's a pretty good reason for it.

The people I'm most likely to re-hire are the ones who left for personal, non-professional reasons (relocation, family health issues, school, etc.). People who leave a job because of dissatisfaction and then when they get out in the real world and decide that their situation working for me wasn't that bad after all? They typically don't make good rehires.

StoopTroup
3/6/2008, 01:55 PM
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/mistakes.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet

Is this a common policy? New? I haven't heard of that, in fact I was only aware that most companies (and mine) will only acknowledge employment and dates of employment.

Frozen Sooner
Last job I was at I gave two weeks and they said to go ahead and walk. I told 'em that I wanted those two weeks paid and they agreed.

Mainly had to do with access to confidential information and such, though.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2008, 01:56 PM
Is this a common policy? New? I haven't heard of that, in fact I was only aware that most companies (and mine) will only acknowledge employment and dates of employment.

Most companies will give dates of employment, confirm last salary, and whether a former employee is eligible for rehire with no commentary on why.

toast
3/6/2008, 01:59 PM
If she worked where I do and took off that much after giving notice, they would have given her more than just a "non-eligible for rehire" - she would have been showed the door and told her services were no longer needed.

StoopTroup
3/6/2008, 02:02 PM
Most companies will give dates of employment, confirm last salary, and whether a former employee is eligible for rehire with no commentary on why.

If their smart...that's exactly how they should handle it.

If your gonna state that you would or wouldn't rehire an employee when approached for a reference, I'd say you'd want a few witnesses and make sure you gave the leaving employee a written statement they can or can't use you as a refence.

Question....

Don't most employers in Oklahoma have 6 months to decide whether or not an employee should continue to stay employed?

KC//CRIMSON
3/6/2008, 06:19 PM
Sounds like she got what she asked for. She made waves and got rocked.

Usually, under normal circumstances, it's beneficial for both parties employer/employee to have the employee stay and finish their last few weeks.

It gives the employee a good out with the company and gives the employer a head start on filling the position. IMO.

However, if your boss is a dill hole and you don't mind losing a few days of pay or a good reference from the company, then I say bolt.

Rogue
3/6/2008, 07:04 PM
Anymore, 2 weeks is often too little notice for professional jobs. I HATE the reference policies of "dates of hire, confirmation of employment, and eligible for rehire only." It's chicken-****. I've found folks who are worth hiring are usually worth bending that rule for and even the companies with strict lawyers will tell you that the employee is/was great if they really were.

"Not eligible for rehire" is basically a curse. Why would they tell her now if she's still working, or supposed to, for another week? Tell her if she calls in AGAIN that she won't be eligible for rehire. This is just breeding bad feelings with someone who has an important job, albeit for a week. I agree that you should be a professional to the end, last 2 weeks and all.

sooner_born_1960
3/6/2008, 07:15 PM
Also, I would caution everyone that a person can become sick after giving notice. I wouldn't expect a sick employee to come in, final two weeks or not.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2008, 07:35 PM
Also, I would caution everyone that a person can become sick after giving notice. I wouldn't expect a sick employee to come in, final two weeks or not.

Of course they can. And an employer is completely within their rights to let that employee know that unless they bring in a doctor's note stating that they were ill, that they will become ineligible for rehire.

Obviously, when you're dealing with people who have jobs that are professional in nature, you get a lot less dishonesty on this kind of thing and can be flexible. For entry-level positions, though...let's just say that I've had to go rounds with some people who were flat-out lying about being sick during their two weeks notice.

birddog
3/6/2008, 07:47 PM
when you give your two weeks, you pretty much mail it in.

BudSooner
3/6/2008, 09:54 PM
See and that is the thing that used to be common practice and was preferred, but yeah it's not needed that much anymore.

Sooner_Bob
3/7/2008, 08:32 AM
Anytime I ever changed jobs I was lucky enough to leave on good terms and my managers usually saw that I was taking a step up and not ditching them. Of course the jobs I had in college were fairly easy to fill and they didn't get left with a vacancy for more than a few days. Most of the time my replacement would show up a day or two before I left so I could show them the ropes.

I guess your manager's reaction would totally be justified if she goofed off before she gave her two weeks, but not so much if she gave her two weeks and actually had stuff come up. Besides, unless she has specific projects to complete hopefully he's been around long enough to expect some slacking off during those last few days. Otherwise he should talk to her and straighten things out.