PDA

View Full Version : Stoolwater Community College

Sooner_Havok
3/6/2008, 05:21 AM
This has really bothered me for a while, and well, I just figured I might as well ask. Why is it that "people" (I use that term loosely) from that particular state institution have this high and mighty attitude? They say that they are proud of their "school"( again, I use this term loosely) for more than just athletics, but what else do they have to be proud of?

The fact that their minimum ACT score is around the same as OCCC, Redlands, and University of Phoenix?

The fact that their enrollment has continued to drop over the last 3 years?

The fact that their "real college town" is a smelly back-water town 100 miles from civilization?

I mean really, I don't get it. Hell, my girlfriends little brother got two mailers from there, begging him to come. All they said he had to do was send $35 and they would let him in. Now I am not going to lie, I applied to that place, and got an acceptance letter back in about a month. I am not proud of it, but with only a 32 ACT and a 3.5 GPA, I was sweating OU, I had to have a backup plan, I was to poor to leave Oklahoma. But I mean come on. I think now it is a foregone conclusion that if an Oklahoma kid applies up there they get it. So really, why this smug "We are better than OU" attitude? I ask them to back up this statement and they just call me a gooner and snort-laugh.

Any ways, discuss, I am going to bed, it has been a LONG day

sooner_born_1960
3/6/2008, 07:42 AM
You were sweating a 32, 3.5? Don't be silly.

LilSooner
3/6/2008, 07:45 AM
You were sweating a 32, 3.5? Don't be silly.

Yeah that's a little much right? I had only a measly 22 and a 3.7 and easily got in.

27 on act gets you a full scholastic scholarship at OU or at least it use to.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/6/2008, 07:49 AM
He may have been from the hillbilly sticks because being from Atoka...I was terrified that my 32 and 3.86 wouldn't be enough. To us poor country folks..OU is the Princeton of the Plains..

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 08:16 AM
look, i'll bash the pokes as much as the next guy, but it's all in fun and about the sports. As far as education (or educaition as they call it) goes, it's all good man. There is nothing wrong with an education from OSU. As a matter of point, there are fields of study that OSU has advantages over OU, just the same as OU has over OSU, but it's weak smack dude. And as far as the Stillwater community, it's a very nice area of the state to live in...and it's growing. Stillwater is 65 miles from both Tulsa and OKC, so while you two point and laugh at the other, we have both choices inside of an hour away.

I'd say just stick to the sports smack.

sooner_born_1960
3/6/2008, 08:21 AM
Which two?

Sooner_Bob
3/6/2008, 08:23 AM
look, i'll bash the pokes as much as the next guy, but it's all in fun and about the sports. As far as education (or educaition as they call it) goes, it's all good man. There is nothing wrong with an education from OSU. As a matter of point, there are fields of study that OSU has advantages over OU, just the same as OU has over OSU, but it's weak smack dude. And as far as the Stillwater community, it's a very nice area of the state to live in...and it's growing. Stillwater is 65 miles from both Tulsa and OKC, so while you two point and laugh at the other, we have both choices inside of an hour away.

Hairy has spoken . . .

May I add, that unless you've lived there you don't really have a right to bash the community and what it's like to live there. Stillwater may not be this mecca of social activity, but there's not a nicer place in the state to raise a family.

We made some lifelong friends when we lived there . . .

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 08:27 AM
Which two?

the Hills and trees folks and the OKC folks.

IB4OU2
3/6/2008, 09:51 AM
Bottom line is were all a bunch of Okies (OSU /OU) and I really liked living in Perkins just south of Stillwater and have nice friends there...it's was just really hard to raise chickens. ;)

3/6/2008, 10:03 AM
Dang, 32 is pretty close to perfect, isn't it? I had a friend score a 34 who is now a professor at MIT.

I think I scored a 2.

crawfish
3/6/2008, 10:26 AM

Hairy has spoken . . .

May I add, that unless you've lived there you don't really have a right to bash the community and what it's like to live there. Stillwater may not be this mecca of social activity, but there's not a nicer place in the state to raise a family.

Whatever, "OSU4LIFE" and "Cowboy_Bob".

:D

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 10:47 AM
I will kill you.

hard.

NormanPride
3/6/2008, 11:17 AM
Don't listen to Hairy. He'd talk up Hell if he shot a hole-in-one there. ;)

Mixer!
3/6/2008, 02:41 PM
The fact that their "real college town" is a smelly back-water town 100 miles from civilization?
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7442/1bjwfc0.jpg

"I like the way you think, why don't you come work for me? We'll raze it to the ground and rebuild it in my image."

Sooner_Bob
3/6/2008, 02:46 PM
Whatever, "OSU4LIFE" and "Cowboy_Bob".

:mad:

Boomer.....
3/6/2008, 03:03 PM
Hairy has spoken . . .

That is debatable.

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:06 PM
Don't listen to Hairy. He'd talk up Hell if he shot a hole-in-one there. ;)

just to be clear, I've never had a hole-in-one in Stillwater. I did have an eagle on a par 4 there once though. 185yard 4-iron.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/6/2008, 03:12 PM
The only way to stop Hairy....is to lynch him...

OU4LIFE
3/6/2008, 03:20 PM

mdklatt
3/6/2008, 03:35 PM
Stillwater may not be this mecca of social activity, but there's not a nicer place in the state to raise a family of goats.

Well, yeah.

Sooner_Havok
3/6/2008, 07:04 PM
Look, don't get me wrong here. I will usually not bag on anyone for bettering themselves by getting a college degree. If you get one from anywhere, good for you. And though I might think it, I hardly ever bring up the fact to OSU folks that I think OU is better. But I mean these people (not all, but a fair share of them) really think that there degree in general studies from OSU is better than any degree you can get from OU. I will admit that OSU has academic areas that are better than OU. But come on, McDonald's has better fries than Ruth's Chris, but would anyone argue that McDonald's is a better restaurant? (extreme example, but it gets my point across)

Like I said, most of the time I am happy that people get college degrees, I usually don't care where they are from, but to say that your college is better than mine academically, really, I don't like playing the game but I will.

I just had to vent, people up there have the ability to **** me off quicker than just about anything else.

Oh, and I was worried about getting in to OU because I did the early admission thing because they said I would find out sooner. The longer I didn't hear from OU, the more worried I got, and the day before OSU's deadline I sent my stuff in. I month later I got a letter from OSU, and about a week after that OU finally accepted me. And yes, I am from the stcks so there!

OU4LIFE
3/7/2008, 09:28 AM
Just a tip, if you are going to slam another institution for 'there' education, you could at least use correct spelling and grammar.

BigRedJed
3/7/2008, 09:31 AM
I saw that to.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/7/2008, 09:32 AM
Just a tip, if you are going to slam another institution for 'there' education, you could at least use correct spelling and grammar.

I see what you did their.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/7/2008, 12:55 PM
Just a tip, if you are going to slam another institution for 'there' education, you could at least use correct spelling and grammar.Their's not a spelling portion on the ACT.

Sooner_Bob
3/7/2008, 12:57 PM
That is debatable.

Well yeah, so is everything else.

soonerbrat
3/7/2008, 01:00 PM
32 on ACT is an outstanding score. your just being silly.

OU4LIFE
3/7/2008, 01:00 PM
Their's not a spelling portion on the ACT.

well he may have spelled it right, who am I to say? I didn't want to assume.

OU4LIFE
3/7/2008, 01:02 PM
Well yeah, so is everything else.

oh yeah?

I had a hole-in-one.

new razorblades are sharp.

the sun is bright

fire hot

Sooner_Bob
3/7/2008, 01:03 PM
oh yeah?

I had a hole-in-one.

new razorblades are sharp.

the sun is bright

fire hot

That's debatable.

OU4LIFE
3/7/2008, 01:04 PM
ok,

Bob - dork

TheUnnamedSooner
3/7/2008, 03:09 PM
The Sun is bright.

Depends on your perspective. If you compare the sun to most stars, it's really not that bright.

See, bob was right, debatable.

setem
3/7/2008, 03:23 PM
I got into OU with a 0 act and a 1.7 HS GPA!

I also went to OCCC and got a 3.7 over 60 credit hours:P

OU4LIFE
3/7/2008, 03:39 PM
The Sun is bright.

Depends on your perspective. If you compare the sun to most stars, it's really not that bright.

See, bob was right, debatable.

I didn't say 'bright when compared to other stars', just bright.

go ahead and tackle the hole-in-one debate.

OU4LIFE
3/7/2008, 03:41 PM
oh and 'isn't that bright' is still bright. you even said so.

pwn3d

TheUnnamedSooner
3/7/2008, 04:07 PM
oh and 'isn't that bright' is still bright. you even said so.

pwn3d

The fact that you are "dabating" with me about this proves that Cowboy_Bob was right all along, that it is debatable.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/7/2008, 04:12 PM
go ahead and tackle the hole-in-one debate.

You didn't have a hole-in-one.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/7/2008, 04:20 PM
Oh.

Snap.

OU4LIFE
3/7/2008, 04:31 PM
You didn't have a hole-in-one.

I've got 7 witnessessess. How many do you have that say I dint?

that's what I thought.

*swish*

TheUnnamedSooner
3/7/2008, 04:38 PM
There you go again, debating your so-called "non-debatable" statements. You guys in stoollwater are easy! ;)

IB4OU2
3/7/2008, 04:43 PM
I've got 7 witnessessess. How many do you have that say I dint?

that's what I thought.

*swish*

No wonder that course was backed up that day....you were playing with a sevensome. :mad: ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/7/2008, 04:44 PM
I have 7 friends that say you didn't

TheUnnamedSooner
3/7/2008, 04:45 PM
No wonder that course was backed up that day....you were playing with a sevensome. :mad: ;)

Good Point! This adds to the evidence that he did not have a hole-in-one.

Sooner_Havok
3/9/2008, 05:39 PM
Ok, I have cooled down a bit here, but I still...

Like I said, I am not going to argue that OSU doesn't have any areas of study that are better than OU. Clearly they have areas of study that OU doesn't, and are better at others than OU is. I was just upset that the OSU crowd said, literally, that any degree from OSU is better than any degree from OU.

Let me say this again so as not to confuse anyone: There are areas of study at OSU that are better than their counterparts at OU.

But just going off the two schools admittance standards, how can any OSU fanboy say that OSU is "A lot better academic institution than OU could ever hope to be."

Again, I am not saying that OSU has no areas where it isn't better than OU. Architecture, for example, is better at OSU than it is currently at OU. I understand this, but I also understand that I, as an OU alumni, have no business bringing up academic smack to UT or Mizzou. I know that OU has particular fields of study that are better than those two schools, but as an overall institution, OU is not the same caliber.

I just had a rough time with some OSU fans after the last game, they were saying how there(:D ) school was head and shoulders above OU in every way other than "a few athletic fields, but that is because we cheat so much and the NCAA just let's us get away with it."

I am not ****ed off anymore, so I can look at this a little more objectively now, some of the stuff was overboard, but I still fail to see how OSU is a better academic school, overall, than OU. Yes, they may have certain areas that are better than OU, or certain areas that OU doesn't offer, but I fail to see how that makes them a better school overall. OU has a better meteorology school than Harvard, but I bet that a Harvard degree pulls a little more weight than an OU one.

Mixer!
3/9/2008, 07:21 PM
Dude, they're aggy. Logic and reasoning don't enter into their thinking processes.

Sorry you had such a crappy experience, but it goes with territory, ya know?

Sooner_Havok
3/9/2008, 07:33 PM
Dude, they're aggy. Logic and reasoning don't enter into their thinking processes.

Sorry you had such a crappy experience, but it goes with territory, ya know?

Yeah, I know. All I said to them was "Tough break guys, hope you beat Texas next Sunday" And I get a rant about how OU is nothing but cheating athletes, and a crappy place to get a degree.

OU4LIFE
3/10/2008, 07:14 AM

well, three of them were the ones that live in my head...

MrJimBeam
3/10/2008, 08:06 AM
If Pumpkin U were a better degree than OU they wouldn't have to continue to remind you. It would be common knowledge.

OU4LIFE
3/10/2008, 08:09 AM
I don't think anyone on here is going to argue with you about hating them, or their logic.

The issue for a few of us was the accusation that it's a smelly little backwater town 100 miles from civilization. That's just not the case. :)

Sooner_Bob
3/10/2008, 08:19 AM
I'm tellin' you people, listen to Hairy.

mdklatt
3/10/2008, 09:25 AM
The issue for a few of us was the accusation that it's a smelly little backwater town 100 miles from civilization. That's just not the case. :)

Right, it's only 65 miles or so from civilization. And it's even closer to Edmond.

:pop:

Sooner_Bob
3/10/2008, 09:34 AM
I will say that depending on where you drive and the time of day it does smell a little.

jr4ou
3/10/2008, 01:06 PM
The owner of the business i work for is a "big" aggy fan. I work in the same office as his wife. she has all that crap in her office. when she found out i was an ou fan she just looked at me in disgust.