PDA

View Full Version : OU-OSU Game Thread

Phil
3/6/2008, 01:52 AM
Sooners win 68-56. Shortest. Game. Thread. Evar.

limitedvista
3/6/2008, 02:16 AM
Says all that needs to be said. Enjoy the NIT pokes.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2008, 02:22 AM
Hee hee.

SleestakSooner
3/6/2008, 02:34 AM
What's better than stunned aggie? 10,000 of them,
who just paid good money to watch this swagger reducing outcome.

Thousands of Damned Cheating Gooner threads are popping up on gloss orange web sites

That game was fun to watch

BOOMER!

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2008, 02:38 AM
I guess that's the biggest margin of victory over those pukes in 18 years?

Really?

SleestakSooner
3/6/2008, 03:03 AM
I don't remember any blowouts, before last night that is

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2008, 03:20 AM
Well, we won by 16 in '03, so I guess that's wrong. Maybe the biggest in their gym?

SleestakSooner
3/6/2008, 03:37 AM
yeah most likely

I kept waiting for the inevitable run from oSu, instead we fouled out Eaton

I will say this much for the poke fans, at least they showed more class than Baylor fan tonight. At least they know what a good pick looks like.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2008, 03:42 AM
You know what kills me is because the board was down and I was at work, I forgot to check scores until I got home. When I finally checked the score, it was final.

SleestakSooner
3/6/2008, 03:56 AM
well after this if the Sooners beat MU they will be fourth and get the bye for the conference tourney.

one win away from locking a bid to the dance

may be looking at a 5th seed now as well

OUsooner1
3/6/2008, 05:18 AM
it was the oddest thing not following the board while watching the game. never again, never again.

ouflak
3/6/2008, 05:37 AM
Really wish we'd had a real thread on this. Would love to have heard the comments about the fans streaming out with 90 seconds left.

Great win for the Sooners! One or two more ought to be enough for the dance.

badger
3/6/2008, 07:52 AM
I missed the board, too! :( But we had such a great time beating those silly aggies that it made up for it!

Dio
3/6/2008, 08:09 AM
That was a nice inbound toward the end of the game by the ags. :D

Boomer.....
3/6/2008, 08:15 AM
Great win! It is going to be nice to quit hearing about the Aggie win streak.

william_brasky
3/6/2008, 08:51 AM
That was a nice inbound toward the end of the game by the ags. :D

Yes it was.

I made up a joke about it just now:

How many Pokes does it take to inbound the ball after a made shot?

Two. One to inbound the ball, the other to watch the ball be stolen by a mean old Sooner. haha. joke of the day. :texan:

King Crimson
3/6/2008, 09:25 AM
being out of state, woulda been fun to enjoy this one in a game thread.

nice win for our guys.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/6/2008, 09:35 AM
I guess that's the biggest margin of victory over those pukes in 18 years?

Really?

Same thing in the Morning DOK. They are whining that LosuR are "REAL" fans and that OU is only fair whether fans more interested in football. Frickin' aggies!

EDIT: Must have still been sleepy, I meant to quote Sleestack's comment , not Mikes. My targeting was off...

Mixer!
3/6/2008, 09:44 AM
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3591/poster31514633di2.jpg

sooner518
3/6/2008, 09:51 AM
After trying in vain to fool ESPN360 into thinking I had Verizon internet, I gave up and went to my friend's house in the 2nd half. Of course I forgot he has a sattelite sports package and we were able to watch the last 4 minutes. OSU looked awful in that time. There were a couple chuckle inducing moments

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/6/2008, 09:53 AM
Really wish we'd had a real thread on this. Would love to have heard the comments about the fans streaming out with 90 seconds left.

Great win for the Sooners! One or two more ought to be enough for the dance.

20 wins, an RPI in the mid 20's and a SOS of 8th. I think we are in even if we lost to MU and our first game in the Big 12 tourney.

I think we are going to beat MU soundly and make it to the Big 12 semis anyway so I'm not worried.

badger
3/6/2008, 10:23 AM
brb. LOL!

Yeah, so OSU probably won't even NIT things, because don't they guarantee mid-major ALMOST bids to the NCAA's first crack at the NIT now? You know, the second-place teams of the conference tournaments that came oh-so-close to the Big Dance?

OSU - no postseason at all?

OU - NCAA Here We Come!

That game was so much fun we started impersonating Poke fans after every call for OU and non-call for them. "Cheatin' Gooners done paid off them refs... Them Cheatin' Gooners need to stop cheatin'... them Cheatin Gooners done fixed our rim so the ball won't go in..."

As the fans started walking out early, it changed to "Fairweather Fan Cheatin' Gooners never graduated from OU... Fairweather Fan Cheatin' Gooners never stay till the end of the game... I'm so angry at them Fairweather Fan Cheatin' Gooners that I'm gonna leave."

:D

crawfish
3/6/2008, 10:29 AM
Great game. GIA wasn't too loud last night...

cheezyq
3/6/2008, 11:25 AM
As the fans started walking out early, it changed to "Fairweather Fan Cheatin' Gooners never graduated from OU... Fairweather Fan Cheatin' Gooners never stay till the end of the game... I'm so angry at them Fairweather Fan Cheatin' Gooners that I'm gonna leave."

:D

I always wondered why they call us fairweather fans. I mean, how would we know when the weather's bad, sports-wise? Other than the years between Switzer and Stoops in FB, and before Tubbs was here in BB, the weather's been pretty dang rosy in the major sports for OU fans.

On the other hand, I think they say that because the weather always sucks in stoolwater, and they keep getting fooled by that brief ray of sunshine that peeks through, and the weather person (their athletics department) talking of brighter days ahead. I guess that makes them better fans because they cheer for a team that has no relevance in any sport other than groin-grabbing? Sheesh, I don't know.

OUSKINS
3/6/2008, 11:41 AM
Can't believe no one has mentioned Austin Johnson in this thread. Crocker was the MVP of the game, and Longar got us off on the right foot. But AJ made the key plays in the 2nd half. There were a few tense moments where it looked like OSU might make a run, but each time AJ made a huge play. It's amazing how good things happen when you drive the basketball.

crawfish
3/6/2008, 11:42 AM
Did anybody else think the refs were trying to keep the game close in the second half? There were some calls on OU players that had me scratching my head. Griffin gets called for a charge against a player who was moving sideways, off his feet? And THEN Longar's fourth was called a block when he was set?

I guess I shouldn't complain about a 12-point win in Stoolwater, tho. :D

Boomer.....
3/6/2008, 11:46 AM
Did anybody else think the refs were trying to keep the game close in the second half? There were some calls on OU players that had me scratching my head. Griffin gets called for a charge against a player who was moving sideways, off his feet? And THEN Longar's fourth was called a block when he was set?

I guess I shouldn't complain about a 12-point win in Stoolwater, tho. :D

Some of the calls were HORRIBLE! I guess it's just that "home court advantage".

NormanPride
3/6/2008, 11:49 AM
No, the calls were pretty bad all-around. Some of our and-1's were iffy at best, and Longar got away with being pretty aggressive in the post a lot. Mostly, they were just inconsistent. A charge one way wouldn't get called, but then the next trip there was a hand check before the guard even gets started.

I was pleased to see Eaton foul out with a ****ty night. Man, I really hate that guy's "game".

Youngsooner
3/6/2008, 12:39 PM
mannn it killed me with the board down during this game!

My favorite parts of the game was near the end when taylor griffin was fouled and shooting his free throws, you could see the smirk he had throwing his second throw.... and did anyone notice after Crocker missed that dunk it he looked over at the crowd and i guess they were talking crap to him and he just looks over and points at the scoreboard :D

Boomer.....
3/6/2008, 12:45 PM
I noticed TG smiling and clapping during those free throws. :D

meoveryouxinfinity
3/6/2008, 12:51 PM
mannn it killed me with the board down during this game!

My favorite parts of the game was near the end when taylor griffin was fouled and shooting his free throws, you could see the smirk he had throwing his second throw.... and did anyone notice after Crocker missed that dunk it he looked over at the crowd and i guess they were talking crap to him and he just looks over and points at the scoreboard :DLOL I don't blame them. That (the miss) was funny. In fact, that's probably the only thing they have to smile about from last night.

Civicus_Sooner
3/6/2008, 01:07 PM
Can't believe no one has mentioned Austin Johnson in this thread. Crocker was the MVP of the game, and Longar got us off on the right foot. But AJ made the key plays in the 2nd half. There were a few tense moments where it looked like OSU might make a run, but each time AJ made a huge play. It's amazing how good things happen when you drive the basketball.He did have a great second half but it was mostly after they took him off of the point. Who was the last real PG on our team? Lavender?

cheezyq
3/6/2008, 01:17 PM
No, the calls were pretty bad all-around.....

That's just Big 12 officiating, though. Our refs don't have a clue what the principle of verticality is, and they try to anticipate fouls before they actually happen. That's why you see so many "and-1s".

What cracks me up, though, is the whole issue of rebounding/over-the-back/blocking out. A lot of times a player will back another player out of the rebounding area, and the commentators will say "that was a nice blockout by <insert name here>". In reality, that's a foul. You can't use your body to displace another player from his position. You can use your body to protect an area before the other player gets there, but you aren't supposed to "back them out" of position. It never gets called though.

I don't watch too much BB from other conferences, but it appears that some of the other conferences call their games more correctly. I've wondered for years whether this is the reason that the Big 12 has struggled in the tourney. We get hailed as this "physical" conference, but the truth lies somewhere between physicality and just plain basketbrawling due to poor officiating.

Heck, I'm convinced that Blake wouldn't have either of these injuries if he didn't have to put up with a mauling everytime he gets the ball in the post or goes for a rebound.

birddog
3/6/2008, 01:22 PM
you all missed a good one. we just dominated them in every phase.

aj was extremely active with the ball. he was penetrating, getting to the hoop, and dishing the ball better than i've ever seen him.

Salt City Sooner
3/6/2008, 02:37 PM
I'll throw in some kudos to TGriff as well. He was one free throw away from one of the quietest double-doubles I've ever seen.

SleestakSooner
3/6/2008, 08:35 PM
The whole team played GREAT! They pretty much shut down Eaton in his own house. OU didn't allow Dove to do much on defense because they rarely went inside to the man he was guarding and Longar passed well when he was double teamed.

Yes Tony Crocker was smoking hot and L2 and AJ had nice halves. But the overall team defense led by Godbold, Davis and Leary and Coach Capel's well timed switching between various zone defenses with some man to man kept the Pokes off balance all night long.

I would have to give Coach Capel the game ball for bringing and implementing a good game plan. They all made me proud to be a Sooner last night.

Crocker pointing to the score board after they jeered him for missing an easy dunk at the very end of the game was classic.

tommieharris91
3/6/2008, 09:29 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=49824

And we're classless... :rolleyes:

tulsaoilerfan
3/6/2008, 09:38 PM
aggies pretty much quite IMO the last 2 minutes

tulsaoilerfan
3/6/2008, 09:40 PM

i tried reading a couple of those threads, but i really need an interpreter to understand what they are saying:D

Flying Scotsman
3/6/2008, 10:41 PM
Baaaaa.....Baaaaaa........Baaaaaa......

OUstud
3/7/2008, 09:32 AM

"Maybe if OSU judged players by their talent rather than the size of their weiner..."-Rawr

lol

htownpoke
3/7/2008, 09:08 PM
Congrats on the win. I think OU played a tremendous game. I was most impressed with your defense thought it was very good. OU never let us get anything started on offense the whole night. I think you all just about guaranteed a NCAA tourney spot. Good luck in the tourney.

birddog
3/7/2008, 09:20 PM
yeah, i must say i was very surprised with the outcome. the pokes put together a good string but maybe they just couldn't get up emotionally, or maybe they were just tired.

tulsaoilerfan
3/8/2008, 01:15 AM
yeah, i must say i was very surprised with the outcome. the pokes put together a good string but maybe they just couldn't get up emotionally, or maybe they were just tired.

i think that everyone from the coaching staff on down to the equipment mgrs looked at this game as an easy win without griffin playing; they never looked like they were ready to play IMO