PDA

View Full Version : I need to talk

Melo
3/5/2008, 03:15 PM
To someone very familiar with the USAF.
Maybe some other military branch MIGHT be able to help me.
But Im really looking for AF.
Who all does that include?

GottaHavePride
3/5/2008, 03:19 PM
Homey. AFS (or is it still airforcesooner?). Boffingham. SoonerStormchaser (right?).

Curly Bill
3/5/2008, 03:20 PM
Navy here...

...course I been out over 13 years

dolemitesooner
3/5/2008, 03:21 PM
I myself am a former member of United States azz F******

BigRedJed
3/5/2008, 03:32 PM
The United States Assforce?

NormanPride
3/5/2008, 03:39 PM
SoonerDood just joined up a few months ago, but I don't know if he has much internet access. He did call me and rant about it for a couple hours the other day, though. FWIW.

Beef
3/5/2008, 03:40 PM
I myself am a former member of United States azz F******
I always thought you were more of a catcher than a pitcher.

Melo
3/5/2008, 03:57 PM
Homey. AFS (or is it still airforcesooner?). Boffingham. SoonerStormchaser (right?).

Thank you.
I knew Homey and SSC were AF.
I was just seeing if anyone else was AF and online.

sooneron
3/5/2008, 04:02 PM
You're much too young for stormchaser...

olevetonahill
3/6/2008, 02:54 AM
Flag will tell Ya true
Im Olevet from the nam , Will help you waht I can

TUSooner
3/6/2008, 07:19 AM
Be careful about what those officer-types tell you about it. You won't be joining their exact same outfit, y'know. ;)

olevetonahill
3/6/2008, 08:01 AM
Be careful about what those officer-types tell you about it. You won't be joining their exact same outfit, y'know. ;)

What he said
Less you going in as an Ocifer, you Need to Talk to E men
I recomend Flag cause hes a doosh !
The Only thing I know about AF was in the Nam they had A/C baracks and Flush tolets
they were 10 Clicks from My base , we had cold showers , C-rats to eat , and a sweet bucket to shat in
Talk to Flag about the enlisted crap of the AF
Talk to me about the E Dudes in the Army
Army Ya make rank faster
AF Ya just f*** off takes a few yrs longer .

SoonerStormchaser
3/6/2008, 08:51 AM
You could try me, but I'm out of pocket for the next few weeks.

Okla-homey
3/6/2008, 08:57 AM
What do you want to know? If I can't answer the question, I promise I'll get you the straight dope from people I know.

Also, I wasn't enlisted, but I commanded a squadron filled with them. I know how assignments work on the enlisted side, and I also know how enlisted promotions work.

PEEM if you want. Oh yeah, one more thing. If you sign-up, I'll split the bounty they pay retirees for encouraging people to do so with you. Fair enough?

olevetonahill
3/6/2008, 09:18 AM
You could try me, but I'm out of pocket for the next few weeks.

The skool thingy you In Is E an E right ? Please tell me you are Trying like hell to do the 1st E:pop:

Okla-homey
3/6/2008, 09:24 AM
The skool thingy you In Is E an E right ? Please tell me you are Trying like hell to do the 1st E:pop:

Here's the problem bro. I did the school at about the same time of year. The snow in the woods was a couple feet deep. I had never even seen snowshoes except the one's on the wall at Applebee's, but had to wear them for a week or disappear in a snowbank. Kinda tough to be elusive on snowshoes.:O

TheUnnamedSooner
3/6/2008, 11:07 AM
Have you tried talking to Topper Harley? I heard he had a pretty good run in the AF

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f6/Hot_Shots.jpg/200px-Hot_Shots.jpg

Killerbees
3/6/2008, 11:17 AM
10 yrs Navy here. Dunno if I can help or not but I wont feed you line of BS either.

SoonerStormchaser
3/6/2008, 02:31 PM
Right now, it's preparation for the Survival and Evasion part...we leave for the field on Sunday. "Capture," whether we're good at evading or not, happens next Thursday. Then they release us, give us Resistance/Escape instruction, then put us in the prison camp the following Tuesday for 36-72 hours.

Fun **** going on up here :rolleyes:

Melo
3/6/2008, 04:23 PM
I go for my ASVAB and MEPS next Thursday.
My friends boyfriend was in the Navy 3 years ago, and told me that when I go in for my job counseling, they will want me to have a pretty good idea of what I want to do as my job.

Problem is, I dont know. I really have no idea.

So any one-on-one advice, info, whatever, would be awesome.
And I do have a more specific question concerning a job.

mdklatt
3/6/2008, 05:00 PM
when I go in for my job counseling, they will want me to have a pretty good idea of what I want to do as my job

Well hell, if you knew that you wouldn't need the counseling!

Have you thought about flight training? Speed limits in the air are a lot higher than on Katy Freeway.

Melo
3/6/2008, 05:10 PM
Well hell, if you knew that you wouldn't need the counseling!

Have you thought about flight training? Speed limits in the air are a lot higher than on Katy Freeway.

I dont think I am qualified for that kind of stuff.

Harry Beanbag
3/6/2008, 05:33 PM
I go for my ASVAB and MEPS next Thursday.
My friends boyfriend was in the Navy 3 years ago, and told me that when I go in for my job counseling, they will want me to have a pretty good idea of what I want to do as my job.

Problem is, I dont know. I really have no idea.

So any one-on-one advice, info, whatever, would be awesome.
And I do have a more specific question concerning a job.

Your ASVAB will determine what jobs you can possibly qualify for. Some jobs have lower limits.

Melo
3/6/2008, 05:37 PM
Yea, I understand.
I went and took the practice test and scored well above average.
The recruiter told me most people score 10-15 points higher, so if that holds true for me, I think I will be pretty set.

SoonerInKCMO
3/6/2008, 05:39 PM
Yea, I understand.
I went and took the practice test and scored well above average.
The recruiter told me most people score 10-15 points higher, so if that holds true for me, I think I will be pretty set.

Not that I'm a cynic or anything, but that sounds like something recruiters tell people to convince them to come back and take the real test.

Harry Beanbag
3/6/2008, 05:44 PM
If you score a 99 the recruiter will have to change his pants. They get bonuses for signing people up to some programs.

Melo
3/6/2008, 05:50 PM
Not that I'm a cynic or anything, but that sounds like something recruiters tell people to convince them to come back and take the real test.

I think it has something to do with the practice test only scoring you in certain areas, where as the ASVAB scores in more areas?

I have no idea. All I know is with my practice score alone, I qualified for a lot of jobs. According to the chart he showed me.

mdklatt
3/6/2008, 07:14 PM
ASVAB

That's the thing with the duck, right?

Petro-Sooner
3/6/2008, 08:08 PM
A click is how far? I've always wondered that.

BoomerSooner07
3/6/2008, 09:47 PM
I've been in the AF for a little over 4 yrs. I'm stationed at Tinker now. Any questions let me know...

SoonerStormchaser
3/6/2008, 11:07 PM
You can always come fly with me!
(yah...I finally got done for the day...0530-2000 today...I'm ready to drop dead).

GottaHavePride
3/6/2008, 11:21 PM
A click is how far? I've always wondered that.

I think it's slang for a kilometer.

OCUDad
3/6/2008, 11:37 PM
I think it's slang for a kilometer.Yes, and it's "klick."