PDA

View Full Version : Worst Officiated Games Involving Your Team(s) That You've Ever Seen...

Sabanball
3/4/2008, 09:30 PM
These are the first ones that come to my mind:

1)Bama/Penn St 1983--we mounted a 28 pt comeback, and a td pass from Walter Lewis to Preston Gothard in the waning moments that would have given us the win in happy valley was wrongly and BADLY called out of bounds

2)Bama/Auburn 1995--same thing, but involved our qb Freddie Kitchens and receiver Curtis Brown. The picture of his feet landing in the endzone with possession of the ball was plastered all over every magazine in the country the week after that...

3)OU/Texas 1984...In a downpour, Buster Rhymes called out of bounds late in the game inside the 10 as he raced untouched toward the endzone--helped UT preserve a 15-15 tie. If I recall correctly, Switzer swore after that game that official would never call another OU game...

4)OU/Oregon 2006--Need I say more? You guys were absolutely jobbed--

SoonerBorn68
3/4/2008, 09:34 PM
3)OU/Texas 1984...In a downpour, Buster Rhymes called out of bounds late in the game inside the 10 as he raced untouched toward the endzone--helped UT preserve a 15-15 tie. If I recall correctly, Switzer swore after that game that official would never call another OU game.

I was there. Hands down the worse evar!

John Kochtoston
3/4/2008, 09:35 PM
The issue in the '84 OU/Texas game was that Keith Stansberry picked off a Tejas pass in the end zone. Falling backwards, his butt clearly came down in bounds, but the aforementioned downpour caused him to slide through the back of the end zone. Tejas was then able to kick a field goal and gain a chicken **** 15-15 tie. On Tejas' final drive, Texas also should have lost a fumble, but the runner was ruled down, and there was a very questionable pass interference call in the Whorns' favor.

SoonerBorn68
3/4/2008, 09:35 PM
I take that back, we got ducked in '05. :mad: Second worst evar!

Sabanball
3/4/2008, 09:38 PM
The issue in the '84 OU/Texas game was that Keith Stansberry picked off a Tejas pass in the end zone. Falling backwards, his butt clearly came down in bounds, but the aforementioned downpour caused him to slide through the back of the end zone. Tejas was then able to kick a field goal and gain a chicken **** 15-15 tie. On Tejas' final drive, Texas also should have lost a fumble, but the runner was ruled down, and there was a very questionable pass interference call in the Whorns' favor.

That's true, but I believe, if my memory is correct, that if the bad call on Rhymes had not been made, that play involving Keith would have been a nonissue. But, I could be wrong...

John Kochtoston
3/4/2008, 09:42 PM
The call out of bounds was much like OU/Oregon in 2006. If the ref makes the right call, the game is over. Texas still would have had some time if Rhymes hadn't been called OOB. Edit: Now that I think about it, the Rhymes run you're thinking of may be from another game.

Sabanball
3/4/2008, 09:47 PM
The call out of bounds was much like OU/Oregon in 2006. If the ref makes the right call, the game is over. Texas still would have had some time if Rhymes hadn't been called OOB.

That's certainly true, but given the rainy conditions on the floor of the cotton bowl that day, and how good your D was, you guys would have held on to win. Your final record that year should have been 10-2, not 9-2-1.

soonerinabilene
3/4/2008, 09:55 PM
every big 12 game for the last 3 years.

Salt City Sooner
3/4/2008, 09:57 PM
The issue in '84:

http://img84.exs.cx/img84/6585/kstansmall.jpg

Personally, as big of a jack job as '84 was, I still have to rate '06 Oregon above it. They had the benefit of 10 minutes worth of looking at instant replay to correct the bad call & refused to do it despite the evidence being plain as day.

KantoSooner
3/4/2008, 10:29 PM
In the case of both the '84 UT game and the '06 Ducks, none of the sub-human scum officiating should be allowed to as much as pump gas from here on out. Look at the picture from '84 above. The dork was about 5 feet from the play, looking at it. And he still got it wrong.

Not that I hold a grudge or anything.

Sooner24
3/4/2008, 10:29 PM
'84 was worse.

I wasn't soaked to the bone after the Oregon game.

badger
3/4/2008, 10:36 PM
OREGON! (duh)

OUMonster
3/4/2008, 11:19 PM
Oregon '06. So many significant errors all in one play.

swardboy
3/4/2008, 11:19 PM
Oregon and any game called by Mr. Bible.....

Salt City Sooner
3/5/2008, 01:42 AM
In the case of both the '84 UT game and the '06 Ducks, none of the sub-human scum officiating should be allowed to as much as pump gas from here on out. Look at the picture from '84 above. The dork was about 5 feet from the play, looking at it. And he still got it wrong.

Not that I hold a grudge or anything.
The ref from the Oregon game must've done something right (at least according to the Pac-10), because he got a promotion last year. He's now the coordinator of officials for the entire conference.

Coordinator of Football Officiating: Dave Cutaia

http://www.pac-10.org/school-bio/staff-dir.html

Jacie
3/5/2008, 07:00 AM
You youngsters . . . the BIGGEST GAME EVER was decided by not one but two missed clipping calls against the nebbish when Johnny Rodgers took a punt return to the house. That single play was the difference 'tween winning The Game of the Century and not.

CU Sooner
3/5/2008, 08:44 AM
Although not ranking in the top 5, the K-State game in 2000 was pretty bad. There was a holding call against ksu in the second half that was reversed because "the player fought through the hold". That is the worst explanation I have heard for reversing a call. So according to the ref, if he would have just fallen down and given up it would have been a penalty, but he persisted and fought through the hold.

cheezyq
3/5/2008, 09:27 AM
Well, I was born a Sooner in 1976, so I'm sure I saw the 84 game, but I was only 8, so I don't remember it (blocking it out, perhaps). Oddly, I remember TA getting knocked out and us winning the OB in 85, but anyway.

Worst I remember seeing by far is ducks '06. It wasn't just the one play that was so bad, it was the entire sequence. The official called it duck's ball while never seeing a duck player with the ball after it had already squirted out and AP was picking it up. Plus, an Oregon player clearly touched the ball before 10 yards. Then, after several minutes of review, they uphold the ludicrous call. If OU gets the ball, as they should have, the game is a kneel-down and over.

Then there's the follow-up pass interference call despite the fact that the ball was clearly tipped at the LOS.

cheezyq
3/5/2008, 09:31 AM
Although not ranking in the top 5, the K-State game in 2000 was pretty bad. There was a holding call against ksu in the second half that was reversed because "the player fought through the hold". That is the worst explanation I have heard for reversing a call. So according to the ref, if he would have just fallen down and given up it would have been a penalty, but he persisted and fought through the hold.

That seems like a rule translation that's exclusive to the Big 12. Unless your last name is Loadholt, your man has to be in the grass before they'll ever call holding on you.

primetime43
3/5/2008, 09:41 AM
Hands Down the Oregon game

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ouoregonzv7.jpg

BigRedJed
3/5/2008, 10:07 AM
After the 2000 Kansas game in Norman, I left thinking "that's the worst-officiated football game I've ever attended." OU won, and of course won the MNC, so it didn't stick in everybody's craw the way the Nebraska/Texas/Oregon games mentioned did. Also, those games were typically defined by one or two horrific, game changing calls, whereas this one had many, many, some of which were still game-changing, but obviously didn't cause a loss for OU.

But I do remember this: there was a time (I think in the fourth quarter) where OU fans loudly booed the refs for 20+ minutes straight. Then they let up when OU had the ball, but booed between snaps. Then they booed every time Kansas had the ball. I had never seen anything like it.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/5/2008, 10:09 AM
I'd have to go with the Oregon game in Eugene.

SoonerinSouthlake
3/5/2008, 10:55 AM
Hands Down the Oregon game

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ouoregonzv7.jpg

Dito OREGON
the 84 game wasa terrible call...now that you see a replay. The ref missed a call that was moving real fast. Same with the GOTC and clips...those were just misses.

OREGON game ---- a ref made a gave the ball to the ducks because basically the players talked him into it... The replay official admited that he knew the play was wrong AT THE TIME..but didnt say anything.

Allthough 84 and GOTC were bigger games... No way it gets worse than Oregon unelss a ref admits he took money to intentionally call wrong calls

Mac94
3/5/2008, 11:05 AM
The Oregon game, to me, wins, although the "ties of Texas are upon you" game (Dallas Times Herald headline) in 1984 is certainly close. A bit suprised the 2005 Tech game hasn't been brought up ... that was pretty bad as well.

I'll throw one out that no one around here will care about. 1989 Arkansas @ Texas A&M. The Aggies are holding a lead late in the 4th quarter with the SWC title on the line. Arkansas is facing a fourth down on their final drive and QB Q. Grovey drops back and fires a pass that is broken up by Aggie DB Larry Horton. The Aggies go wild as the Razorbacks are turned away on 4th down. As the celebration continues a late flag flies .... pass interfenrance against Texas A&M. Replays show the call to be bogus ... but Arkansas is given new life and socres the game winning TD. The injustice is only heightend when it is learned after the game that the ref that threw the late flag on a very very questionable call was an Arkansas alum and former Hog football player.

NormanPride
3/5/2008, 12:16 PM
After the 2000 Kansas game in Norman, I left thinking "that's the worst-officiated football game I've ever attended." OU won, and of course won the MNC, so it didn't stick in everybody's craw the way the Nebraska/Texas/Oregon games mentioned did. Also, those games were typically defined by one or two horrific, game changing calls, whereas this one had many, many, some of which were still game-changing, but obviously didn't cause a loss for OU.

But I do remember this: there was a time (I think in the fourth quarter) where OU fans loudly booed the refs for 20+ minutes straight. Then they let up when OU had the ball, but booed between snaps. Then they booed every time Kansas had the ball. I had never seen anything like it.

As popular as '06 Oregon and '84 Texas are, I'd have to agree with you on this one, Jed. We booed for a quarter and a half after a ref called a fumble on Q. Q had the ball, sitting on his butt, then set the ball down beside him. A KU player picked it up as an afterthought, and the ref ruled it recovered. Biggest bull**** play I've ever seen, as there was nobody around and the ref was literally 2 feet away from Q.

I remember hearing the student section yelling death threats at the ref who made the call (who also made about 12 other horrible calls that game). :D "I'll be waiting for you in the parking lot, H!" "I know where your kids live, H!"

TheHumanAlphabet
3/5/2008, 12:37 PM
The Oregon game, to me, wins, although the "ties of Texas are upon you" game (Dallas Times Herald headline) in 1984 is certainly close. A bit suprised the 2005 Tech game hasn't been brought up ... that was pretty bad as well.

The difference with the Tech game, was it was a judgement call on the field. Granted it was a call no one wanted to make and kept looking for someone to pony up, only after the fact that we found out the guy was a Tech homer did the outrage really hit the fan... That and the replay clearly showed he was down prior to endzone contact...

We waited so long at the Oregon game, I could have drunk a bottle of liquor if I had on me.

kramer9802
3/6/2008, 08:50 AM
Oregon of course..
Texas Tech....

Then

...the NBA officials handed the Miami heat the NBA championship a few years ago over those last 4 games. Phantom call after Phantom call on Dwayne Wade. One game he went to the line 25 times and the Mavericks went to the line 25 times. The phantom call in game 5 on Dirk was an embarrassment. Wade should have won an oscar for all the flops in game 6....

cheezyq
3/6/2008, 09:01 AM
As popular as '06 Oregon and '84 Texas are, I'd have to agree with you on this one, Jed. We booed for a quarter and a half after a ref called a fumble on Q. Q had the ball, sitting on his butt, then set the ball down beside him. A KU player picked it up as an afterthought, and the ref ruled it recovered. Biggest bull**** play I've ever seen, as there was nobody around and the ref was literally 2 feet away from Q.

I remember hearing the student section yelling death threats at the ref who made the call (who also made about 12 other horrible calls that game). :D "I'll be waiting for you in the parking lot, H!" "I know where your kids live, H!"

There was a similar call last year with Oregon State, I think. The runner stretches out, and his entire body is down as he reaches out with the ball. He sets the ball down and the opposing player runs it the other way for 40 yards or something. Call, despite being completely bogus, was upheld. Someone needs to fire all the Pac-10 booth reviewers.

oupride
3/6/2008, 11:21 AM
Oregon.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/6/2008, 12:01 PM
didnt involve my team but the Seahawks-Steelers SB was one of the worst ever I ve seen

crimson&cream
3/6/2008, 04:42 PM

Actually Keith intercepted the pass headed to sideline of the end zone with the ball in his hands 2/3 yards before he slid out of bounds on endzone sideline,this on top of two other blown calls that should have went our way before that. The Ref who made the interception call out of bounds was a Big 8 ref who after seeing the tapes later apologized as did the Big 8. The game should have been an OU victory 3/4 times over if not for terrible calls one after another. Right up there w/Oregon.

StanberryWasIn
3/6/2008, 04:51 PM
Another vote for the 84 Texas game from me, obviously (note username).

UO in Eugene was pretty bad though.

Sabanball
3/6/2008, 08:00 PM
You youngsters . . . the BIGGEST GAME EVER was decided by not one but two missed clipping calls against the nebbish when Johnny Rodgers took a punt return to the house. That single play was the difference 'tween winning The Game of the Century and not.

you're definitely right about that being one of the most horrendous 'no calls' in the history of the game, however I did not 'see' it as my thread title stipulated(except the game replayed on ESPN Classics a few times), so I didn't include it in my list. But glad you brought it up though--funny no one else has mentioned it....

dog-knee
3/7/2008, 12:10 AM

For a couple years after that game, some OU fans wore t-shirts that showed a football field with part of one end zone cut out for the Stansbberry interception that was overruled, and an add-on to the other end zone -- Texas had scored a touchdown where it was clear the receiver had both feet outside the end line before the catch.

ouwapiti
3/7/2008, 10:56 AM
witnessed the '84 tu game in person...i was more PO'd after i saw the replays........oregon game.....heads shoulda rolled after that 'abortion' !!!!!

TheUnnamedSooner
3/7/2008, 11:25 AM

You must have been sitting close to me. A buddy and I were yelling that at H for the rest of the game!

MamaMia
3/7/2008, 12:11 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/71937006.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/OU%20Football/0A9AC353-98F8-E08F-2A548954DE44444E.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/OU%20Football/6481F9E4-C5C7-8B87-5865E295728613DA.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/OU%20Football/ArseonGround.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
3/7/2008, 12:16 PM
The score at the bottom of the last pic is priceless

Animal Mother
3/7/2008, 01:32 PM

I'm glad someone else remembers that call. I live in saxet and mentioned it and was looked at like I was wearing a cow pie on my head at our company Xmas party. They're mostly UT and ATM flim fans so it shouldn't be a surprise.