PDA

View Full Version : Stoops' Spring Practice Press conference

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 06:20 PM
..was today. Here's a link.
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030408aaa.html
Sounds like he's excited to get MM and JJ the majority of the carries in spring practice.

Stoops Kicks Off Spring Practice
Quotes from Coach Stoops' Tuesday press conference which led off the 2008 spring season.

NORMAN, Okla. -- Head coach Bob Stoops led off the 2008 spring season with a noon press conference Tuesday in the Kerr-McGee Stadium Club. Stoops addressed a variety of topics and answered questions from the media relating to OU's goals for spring practice, which begins Wednesday.

Visit 2008 Spring Practice Central for exclusive coverage of OU's spring workouts including video highlights, interviews, photo galleries and more!

The annual Red/White Spring Football game is scheduled for Saturday, April 12. Tickets for the Red/White game go on sale Wednesday, March 5.

Following is a complete transcription of Tuesday's press conference.

Head Coach Bob Stoops

Opening comments:
"We are all excited to start spring ball tomorrow. We have finished about a six week period here in the weight room and in the indoor, doing speed training and lifting. We're trying to build our team up physically; more speed, more strength and more explosiveness. Coach Schmidt is really pleased with how all that has gone. The conditioning exercises have been really strong and positive. Now is a good time of year to start practicing again. We will have to work in the indoor some, Wednesday and Friday for sure, but we have great room in there and the ability to have a great practice. We are looking forward to starting that tomorrow.

"Everyone always wonders what you work on; we work on building our team. More than anything, I think it is critical this time of year to build your depth. Building your team and building players, preparing them to play at any time. We want all players to perform better and play more consistent. Every position needs to improve and needs to work. There are no positions ever guaranteed, guys have to continue to earn them by how they play and their performance. But again, I look at it as an opportunity to get more players ready to play so that when we start next year we've got a group of players we know we can win with. So that is where our focus is. We will have some good competition, long and competitive practices. Hopefully we can improve and make ourselves better."

On building depth at running back:
"There is a perfect chance to build depth with Mossis Madu and Justin Johnson. They will get the bulk of it; we will give Matt Clapp some back there as well. But those guys have not played much at all and it will be a great opportunity. We already know what the other guys can do, so it is perfect."

On whether or not there is time to add wrinkles in the spring:
"We constantly tinker with everything that we do. Now is a perfect time to do it. Once we get into the practices and get comfortable with what we are doing initially, we will keep adding things."

On the offensive line:
"There is still going to be some great competition there. There are a lot of guys that are coming on that are going to have their chance to compete. Cory Brandon, Brian Simmons and Donald Stephenson are all coming back. There are a number guys who have a chance. We just have to get them out there and get them working."

On the fullback and tight end positions:
"Brody Eldridge, I have said all along, has always been one of our best and most consistent players. We really like Matt Clapp, the way he has worked and the size and quickness he has. Jermaine Gresham is one of the best there is out there. We will always try to work those guys to take advantage of the things they do well."

On the secondary:
"Nic Harris won't be in there because of his shoulder surgery, but he has played a lot of football and will be fine and back once the summer comes. Other guys will get a lot of snaps. Quinton Carter, Dominique Franks, Jamell Fleming and Brian Jackson have had a great winter. They will be competitive and we will pay very close attention to them all the way through, because there is a lot of potential there."

On where DB Lendy Holmes will play:
"I think it depends on who plays the best out of the other guys. Lendy has the unusual ability to really be solid at corner or at safety and he has been that way for us. So I think that is a plus that he has the ability to do either one. We will just see how the other guys do and see what is best for him."

On QB Sam Bradford's development:
"He had an amazing year. All you have to do is compare his statistics to the All-Americans or offensive players of the year in our league and he is there. When you look at wins and losses, you look at touchdowns and interceptions, you look at all that and he is right there with anybody in the country. He is an exceptional player. He did everything we asked him to do; direct the team and direct the offense. The things you may take for granted, we don't. Things like command of the huddle, command of the line of scrimmage, we were very clean in all those areas.

"Everything we have asked him to do he has been exceptional, so I think you have to be careful that he doesn't go out there and try to be superman. That is not what we ask our guys to do. We rely on everybody; do your job, do what you're asked to do, direct in a positive way. I think with another year under his belt he will be more of a leader vocally. He was a great leader in his actions last year, but now with more experience I think more of that will come. In everything he is doing I think he will just get stronger with his arm and more precise with his steps. He has a lot of room for improvement but I am sure he will make it."

On Asst. Offensive Coordinator/WR Coach Jay Norvell:
"Jay has a lot of excellent experience that I am excited about. He is a very positive, team-oriented guy who is incredibly competitive and passionate about the game. That is something I love about all the assistant coaches. I am excited about all of that combined with an excellent knowledge of offense. Just look at where he has been with UCLA and Nebraska and before that. I am excited about his work when he was in Indianapolis and Oakland. He brings a lot of experience in that particular position and a lot of experience in his overall knowledge of offensive schemes. So he fits in perfectly and he has been fun to work with the last month or so."

On WR Ryan Broyles:
"He is real shifty guy that has that ability to stop and start and make people miss him. What we saw early on is that he just one of those guys that is really competitive on the field and will make plays. We are hoping he will continue to come along that way and that we can work with him on that inside position. He definitely has a chance to make a difference."

On DE John Williams returning for another year:
"It is good to have him back. He has had two back-to-back years of really unfortunate incidents that are really unusual as well. It is positive in that he gets the chance to play a full year and it makes a huge difference to have him and Auston English, both starters last year, back."

On how the Fiesta Bowl loss affects spring practice:
"Each year is a new team. I've never seen one year tie to the next. We have won the National Championship before and it didn't have anything to with the next year and we have lost in it and it didn't have anything to do with the next year. Each year is a different team, with different players. In the end you have to go at it again. I will say we have been pretty consistent in going after the Big 12 Championship and we look to do that again next year. Hopefully, we can finish the year a little bit better."

swardboy
3/4/2008, 07:42 PM
Sounds like Broyles has sufficiently atoned for his sin. I'm excited to see him perform.

KantoSooner
3/4/2008, 09:25 PM
Hopefully, we can finish the year a little bit better."

Dammy! For Bob, that's almost like throwing down the gauntlet to the nation at large.

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 10:14 PM
Sounds like Broyles has sufficiently atoned for his sin. I'm excited to see him perform.
Yep me too. Sounds like he'll be a playmaker

OKC-SLC
3/4/2008, 10:19 PM
Is it September yet?

KantoSooner
3/4/2008, 10:25 PM
No, we still have the unmitigated horror known as 'baseball' to struggle through,
but, LO! In the distance, bathed in the light of spring, there is hope yet in these dark days.
The Spring Game is only 38 days away.

goingoneight
3/4/2008, 10:48 PM
The thing that has plagued us in the bowl games isn't a lack of talent, coaching, speed or anything like that. The one common problem was playing flat. Whether it was coming out flat for three quarters against Boise State and turning the football over four times or laying down and letting USC beat us when we knew damn well we could have at least been competitive if not had a chance to win that game on a good night. The offense starts out slow against LSU and WVU, throw the ball right into the hands of a hungry opponent and you aren't doing your ailing team any favors.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the bowl losses are circumstantial. When the days comes that we do three things, we'll win one...

1. Be the better team. You can't help it when someone else is better than you. It varies with the year, you can lose to USC one year by 36 points and come back and beat them by 50 the next. We've shown that plenty of times against Texas.
2. Want to win. Coaches can give a pep talk or even a locker room speech, but you can't make a guy care. When we're down big in the BCS bowls and you look on the sideline and guys are laughing, slouching or look like they want the game to be over with... what can you do? That's a hundred 18-24 year old guys with bad attitudes. Senior captains and leadership has killed us on the big stage.
3. Bad breaks can't happen. Once again, how can Stoops or Venables or anyone do anything about an All-conference DE getting the flu during bowl preparation? Is it Brent's fault Kelly blew out his knee? Is it Kevin Wilson's offense that lost the game, or is it having six starters out of the game? We've had a lot of good breaks in Stoops's tenure, we're just dealing with some bad ones it seems the last three or four years. Let me tell you, if a bad break is taking the conference crown and 11-win seasons, I'll take it like a man and wait for the good breaks to come back.

swardboy
3/4/2008, 11:02 PM
And I love the extremely positive feedback Bob gives us on how Norvell is fitting in really well as an offensive guru. I hope that translates into bringing the younger receivers along quickly as well as some new wrinkles in offensive scheming. Maybe we'll stun the nation and hand the ball off to the fullback some. Imagine the panic we'll throw into opposing D's when they have to stop and think that maybe more than one back might get a handoff.

goingoneight
3/4/2008, 11:09 PM
I just want to see us be able to run a hurry up offense successfully this year. There's no reason they shouldn't work on that given the experience they return. We've taken way too long in some games to get a play off versus Heupel, Hybl and White who could command and roll in a no-huddle.

swardboy
3/4/2008, 11:15 PM
I just want to see us be able to run a hurry up offense successfully this year. There's no reason they shouldn't work on that given the experience they return. We've taken way too long in some games to get a play off versus Heupel, Hybl and White who could command and roll in a no-huddle.

Amen brother. It's almost like the defense can plan on going when the play clock runs down to 0.5 seconds....not to mention the damage to my heart almost every play. "Hike the freakin' ball!!!!!!!"

goingoneight
3/4/2008, 11:19 PM
I just remember it taking four minutes in the Fiesta Bowl to get off five or six plays... guys need to learn out-routes, get OOB!!! I know it's mostly just a growing pain for Sam... I mean, he can't be PERFECT in his first season. Hopefully the speed of execution and command of the offense improves in his sophomore campaign.

CatfishSooner
3/4/2008, 11:43 PM
I just remember it taking four minutes in the Fiesta Bowl to get off five or six plays... guys need to learn out-routes, get OOB!!! I know it's mostly just a growing pain for Sam... I mean, he can't be PERFECT in his first season. Hopefully the speed of execution and command of the offense improves in his sophomore campaign.

He can be PERFECT in his 2nd season right???? :pop:

;)

47straight
3/4/2008, 11:54 PM

That'll come with time.

Salt City Sooner
3/5/2008, 01:55 AM
That'll come with time.
We have a winner. Lest we forget, OU hasn't had a returning QB since '04. 3 straight noobs behind center makes a team put those extra wrinkles on the back burner in pretty short order.

David Earl
3/5/2008, 08:07 AM
I have a feeling our DB's may get lit up a little this spring. Not because I think we'll be crummy back there, but most the guys are young and it could take a while for them to adjust. Meanwhile, Sam is in full swing... I don't know.. I'm just sayin' don't get all tored up about it if the O moves the ball a little at first.

KantoSooner
3/5/2008, 08:59 AM
We should be upset that our offense bullies its way into the endzone?

I am not sure I get the angst.
:)

David Earl
3/5/2008, 09:05 AM
There is no angst, but conventional wisdom says you want your defense to do better than your offense in practice. If Sam lights 'em up this spring fans will be understandably concerned. I'm thinking we have holes to fill in the secondary and it will take a while to get the young guys ready. I expect the DB's to struggle some this spring but believe we'll be okay by autumn.

CincySooner
3/5/2008, 09:11 AM
That'll come with time.

Agreed. However, I hope its sooner rather than later. With the new clock rules, I think we'll see a lot more hurry-up in college football in general. I know that control the clock and play good defense is the ideal answer to prevent a scoring orgy, but it would be nice to at least have the option of moving down the field in a flash.

swardboy
3/5/2008, 09:21 AM
There is no angst, but conventional wisdom says you want your defense to do better than your offense in practice. If Sam lights 'em up this spring fans will be understandably concerned. I'm thinking we have holes to fill in the secondary and it will take a while to get the young guys ready. I expect the DB's to struggle some this spring but believe we'll be okay by autumn.

Yep. The best preparation for a Chase Daniels is practicing against a Sam Bradford....

Collier11
3/5/2008, 12:36 PM
Rivals Spring look at us

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=781894

OU-HSV
3/6/2008, 08:22 PM
I'll add to that Collier, here's yahoo's spring look at us

EDIT:NEVERMIND YAHOO AND RIVALS DO THE SAME THING. MY BAD.

goingoneight
3/6/2008, 10:10 PM

Traditionally, correct. But, the crowd was in an uproar when the offense made plays last spring. In fact, it's been that way for awhile. I remember Reggie Smith toying around with MK and JI in the 2005 spring game, batting down or picking off every QB throwing his way and nobody started cheering until Rhomar threw a TD pass. Nobody gave a shat about the D getting torched last spring, they were all giddy about Sam and DeMarco.

OU-HSV
3/6/2008, 10:16 PM
Mainly we were giddy about DM. He broke off a couple nice runs. It was the first time we really got to see the amazing skills that DM holds.
I remember SB playing well, and we all kind of figured he'd end up the starter...but we still weren't certain of it. Man did he ever pan out in a great way.

goingoneight
3/6/2008, 10:55 PM
I remember everyone trying their best to campaign for Nichol. Especially the people who use the mobile quarterback and "Leak/Tebow" angle. The guy didn't exactly go all Jamelle Hollieway, he just took off running a couple of times and rolled out of the pocket.

OU-HSV
3/7/2008, 12:02 AM
I remember everyone trying their best to campaign for Nichol. Especially the people who use the mobile quarterback and "Leak/Tebow" angle. The guy didn't exactly go all Jamelle Hollieway, he just took off running a couple of times and rolled out of the pocket.

Very true. I mean KN didn't get a ton of snaps either. He did look quick when he had to run though.

goingoneight
3/7/2008, 12:27 AM
They were just gaga about the star recruit. Same with everyone campaigning for Bomar in fall 2004 over returning Heisman winnar and 3-year vet PT. The same pundits are on scout board making up stuff about Landry Jones stealing Sam Bradford's job.

OU-HSV
3/7/2008, 12:36 AM
Yep. But I still think it would be cool to let KN come in every now and then and have a few option plays, zone reads, etc. By no means a rotation...just something to add a slight twist/spice to our offense. Something to keep the D wondering.

goingoneight
3/7/2008, 01:44 AM
The thing KN should be used for is a #2 guy. We haven't had a solid QB rotation since early 2001, where we had a future Heisman winnar and a Rose Bowl MVP at 1 and 2.

Yeah, he's a nice recruit, but a lot of people are seriously reaching thinking he's going to just wow everyone and go all Vince Young/Michael Vick. Nice arm strength, but you don't need to zip every ball and accuracy is more important, and he's not totally immobile, but neither is Sam. Just because a guy gets tabbed a "runner" andruns a QB draw for a few yards in junk time against East Popcorn State doesn't mean he's the Jamelle Hollieway of the west coast offense.

Something to keep the D wondering would be finding more than just three ways (up the gut, off-tackle, delayed draw) to run the ball with the talent we have. Something to keep the D wondering is the end-arounds and double-reverses KW ran against Miami, UNT, USU and Mizzou, but didn't have it in him to keep them in the book for the bigger games. Another thing to keep defenses honest is for OUr OL to learn the difference between pass-blocking and run-blocking. West Virginia didn't beat us on speed, they beat us by blowing up OUr linebackers and downfield DBs because their blockers did more than sumo-wrestling for three yards and falling on their butts. Their blocking scheme combined with their misdirection is the reason they run the ball so well.

Option plays, I agree totally. I'm the biggest fan in the world of the Jermaine Gresham Red-Zone pass play, but why not go with an option on 1st and goal at the 5? What happened to the shovel pass? You don't have to draw up a statue of liberty, swap players in and out or run a bunch of laterals to keep the D honest... just do more than Coach Boone's four plays (just like cough medicine... give it time it always works).

As smart and athletic as Sam is, I don't see anything within reason he can't run as OUr quarterback. Hopefully the playbook opens up now that we'll have a solid returning starter with a good insurance policy or two backing him up.

David Earl
3/7/2008, 08:02 AM
I'm the biggest fan in the world of the Jermaine Gresham Red-Zone pass play, but why not go with an option on 1st and goal at the 5? What happened to the shovel pass? You don't have to draw up a statue of liberty, swap players in and out or run a bunch of laterals to keep the D honest... just do more than Coach Boone's four plays (just like cough medicine... give it time it always works).

Well said.

MojoRisen
3/7/2008, 09:44 AM
Bradford can run, but I did notice last year that he was kind of indecisive about comitting to the run and got hit hard and akwardly on a few occasions. I believe one being Iowa St. and I was grimizing for him as he could have definitely got hurt. If he runs more I hope he knows to comit to it a little faster and or learn to get down. Seeing his 6-5 frame crupple to the ground like a pretzel isn't good.

Nichol again needs to redshirt or be the number 2 QB... I think for all conservative reasons - that Hazle in his last year will be the number 2 regardless and we can keep Landry Jones active as third string since he is in for Spring and redshirt him next year.

OU-HSV
3/7/2008, 09:39 PM
The thing KN should be used for is a #2 guy. We haven't had a solid QB rotation since early 2001, where we had a future Heisman winnar and a Rose Bowl MVP at 1 and 2.

Yeah, he's a nice recruit, but a lot of people are seriously reaching thinking he's going to just wow everyone and go all Vince Young/Michael Vick. Nice arm strength, but you don't need to zip every ball and accuracy is more important, and he's not totally immobile, but neither is Sam. Just because a guy gets tabbed a "runner" andruns a QB draw for a few yards in junk time against East Popcorn State doesn't mean he's the Jamelle Hollieway of the west coast offense.

Something to keep the D wondering would be finding more than just three ways (up the gut, off-tackle, delayed draw) to run the ball with the talent we have. Something to keep the D wondering is the end-arounds and double-reverses KW ran against Miami, UNT, USU and Mizzou, but didn't have it in him to keep them in the book for the bigger games. Another thing to keep defenses honest is for OUr OL to learn the difference between pass-blocking and run-blocking. West Virginia didn't beat us on speed, they beat us by blowing up OUr linebackers and downfield DBs because their blockers did more than sumo-wrestling for three yards and falling on their butts. Their blocking scheme combined with their misdirection is the reason they run the ball so well.

Option plays, I agree totally. I'm the biggest fan in the world of the Jermaine Gresham Red-Zone pass play, but why not go with an option on 1st and goal at the 5? What happened to the shovel pass? You don't have to draw up a statue of liberty, swap players in and out or run a bunch of laterals to keep the D honest... just do more than Coach Boone's four plays (just like cough medicine... give it time it always works).

As smart and athletic as Sam is, I don't see anything within reason he can't run as OUr quarterback. Hopefully the playbook opens up now that we'll have a solid returning starter with a good insurance policy or two backing him up.

You say some very,very true things and I agree with all you say here.
I guess I need to change my stance to: If SB isn't capable/quick, or natural enough to run some options, etc....then we should install more of a mobile package for KN to enforce on occasion..or hell even if it's just during mop-up time as a backup. But as I've said before I'm not a supporter of a QB rotation..and that's not, by any means, what I'm trying to say needs to happen. If it would take too much away from SB to let KN take 2 or 3 snaps during a game...then let's not do it. But if SB can keep his groove going while KN comes in and shakes things up a bit on the ground giving us variety in our chances to move the ball...why not do it? While I agree with you that there are other ways as well...I'm just saying it could be one way to mix things up a bit.
SB is an excellent QB and was amazing last season, and for anyone to think he shouldn't be the starter and main QB, I say they're crazy. I actually recall a recent thread where someone was saying it should be an open QB battle this spring. I say that's wrong. We've got our starter, let's keep it that way. He's going to continue to develop and mature and at the rate it's going, he's going to be one of the greatest QBs we've ever had (if not the greatest in the end).
In regards to the Shovel, it is odd how it seemed to have left when Q left. I mean that's the last time period I remember us consistently throwig that in there every now and then.

Salt City Sooner
3/7/2008, 10:33 PM
You say some very,very true things and I agree with all you say here.
I guess I need to change my stance to: If SB isn't capable/quick, or natural enough to run some options, etc....then we should install more of a mobile package for KN to enforce on occasion..or hell even if it's just during mop-up time as a backup. But as I've said before I'm not a supporter of a QB rotation..and that's not, by any means, what I'm trying to say needs to happen. If it would take too much away from SB to let KN take 2 or 3 snaps during a game...then let's not do it. But if SB can keep his groove going while KN comes in and shakes things up a bit on the ground giving us variety in our chances to move the ball...why not do it? While I agree with you that there are other ways as well...I'm just saying it could be one way to mix things up a bit.
SB is an excellent QB and was amazing last season, and for anyone to think he shouldn't be the starter and main QB, I say they're crazy. I actually recall a recent thread where someone was saying it should be an open QB battle this spring. I say that's wrong. We've got our starter, let's keep it that way. He's going to continue to develop and mature and at the rate it's going, he's going to be one of the greatest QBs we've ever had (if not the greatest in the end).
In regards to the Shovel, it is odd how it seemed to have left when Q left. I mean that's the last time period I remember us consistently throwig that in there every now and then.
Moreso when Mangino left, IMO. It didn't seem like we ran the shovel nearly as much in '02 as in previous years. 99% of the time that year, Q got the ball either on the smoke draw, or on the flat pass. I watched KU several times last year & FWIW, it's still a staple of MM's offense.

OU-HSV
3/8/2008, 02:59 AM
Moreso when Mangino left, IMO. It didn't seem like we ran the shovel nearly as much in '02 as in previous years. 99% of the time that year, Q got the ball either on the smoke draw, or on the flat pass. I watched KU several times last year & FWIW, it's still a staple of MM's offense.

I was thinking about that when I typed my last post. I couldnt remember exactly if it was when Mangino left or Q left. Both close in time it seems.

goingoneight
3/9/2008, 01:47 AM
The shovel pass is good for quick little "scat-backs" like Q, Noel Devine, or even a healthy DeMarco Murray, however, simple as it looks just tossing the ball to #7, lots of guys have problems running that play effectively and convincingly. When Heupel shovel passed, no one ever saw it coming, even to the bigger backs, it always surprised opposing defenses. But then again, he also ran a lot quicker offense that was based on his own performance downfield moreso than the run game like OU offense is now. Still, I think it's be neat if say... 3rd and 5, Texas backing off to a cover two, Sam just whipped out the shovel pass and D-Mu rolls up about 15-20 yards just to toy with ole Muschamp.

Big Red Ron
3/9/2008, 11:30 AM
JJ

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/JUSTINJOHNSONAA200.JPG