PDA

View Full Version : Another sad story...

Collier11
3/4/2008, 04:39 PM
...I will never understand this, it just makes me sick! People with guns feel powerful but they are nothing but cowards. We have so many bad people in this world because all the good people keep getting taken away from us too young!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highschool/news/story?id=3276696

Beef
3/4/2008, 04:44 PM
Uggg. Prayers to his family.

Boomer.....
3/4/2008, 04:45 PM
How sad.

Leroy Lizard
3/4/2008, 06:31 PM
A truly sad story.

But let's not drag gun ownership into this. :(

snp
3/6/2008, 08:00 PM
Reminds me of Herman Mitchell, very sad.

RIP

Collier11
3/6/2008, 10:41 PM
A truly sad story.

what I said had nothing to do with gun ownership, it has to do with cowards who have no respect for human life or the power of guns

goingoneight
3/6/2008, 10:47 PM
I know someone whose girlfriend just recently bought a house. He decided he'd be a big man and bought a gun "just in case, you know..."

After about three weeks, big man has been busted twice with it. Luckily, he hasn't been stupid enough to fire off any shots yet, but most people don't have any business carrying or even owning a gun.

Now, a person who has one locked up and hidden in his home, never to be touched unless absolutely needed, or even an avid hunter, you go on and enjoy the right to bear arms. As for the thugs and over-protective types with short fuses and paranoia, you disgust me.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2008, 11:28 PM
Right to bare arms. Heh.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2008, 11:29 PM
I know someone whose girlfriend just recently bought a house. He decided he'd be a big man and bought a gun "just in case, you know..."

Okay, I give up... what does his girlfriend buying a house have to do with his buying a gun?

auto
3/6/2008, 11:46 PM
After about three weeks, big man has been busted twice with it. Luckily, he hasn't been stupid enough to fire off any shots yet, but most people don't have any business carrying or even owning a gun.

Now, a person who has one locked up and hidden in his home, never to be touched unless absolutely needed, or even an avid hunter, you go on and enjoy the right to bare arms. As for the thugs and over-protective types with short fuses and paranoia, you disgust me.

Wow, just shocking that this attitude exists.:mad: Carry a gun everyday as does my spouse, it is a tool like any other, no better or worse. Sorry you have a problem with an inanimate object.:pop:

Collier11
3/6/2008, 11:52 PM
Wow, just shocking that this attitude exists.:mad: Carry a gun everyday as does my spouse, it is a tool like any other, no better or worse. Sorry you have a problem with an inanimate object.:pop:

I for one have no problem with people having guns, I just think they are far too easy to get. For every responsible person with a gun such as yourself there are just as many that have no regard for personal responsibility

The only problem I do have is people having semi-automatic weapons and the such that they have no business with.

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2008, 02:37 AM
deleted

goingoneight
3/7/2008, 03:08 AM
I for one have no problem with people having guns, I just think they are far too easy to get. For every responsible person with a gun such as yourself there are just as many that have no regard for personal responsibility

The only problem I do have is people having semi-automatic weapons and the such that they have no business with.

Same here... re-read the post.

And the girlfriend buying a house, "big man" was paranoid and used it as a quick excuse to get himself a "gat" as he calls it.

After a few weeks, he gets the cops called on him by neighbors because he pulled the gun on someone in the front yard. His excuse = "I didn't shoot him." No ****, or you'd be in jail.

So a few days go by and his girlfriend says he flashed it at someone on the road for cutting him off. That to me doesn't sound like a little corkscrew or pocket knife... that sounds like someone (and a lot of people) who have no need for a deadly weapon.

Now, my great uncle who is military retired and a very wealthy man carries his gun, but has not shot with intent to harm since he was in Vietnam. He doesn't keep it in his glove box and go punking someone with it. It's solely for protection because of who he is and how old he is. I completely understand people who need it or are mature enough to own/carry it. However, I believe that's a VERY small portion of the people who do own and carry.

I guess it's best I put it that too many punks, thugs and paranoid people own deadly weapons.

David Earl
3/7/2008, 08:10 AM
This thread belongs at the S.O.

You folks keep it civil.

auto
3/7/2008, 09:07 AM
I for one have no problem with people having guns, I just think they are far too easy to get. .

We can agree to disagree. There is no shortage of the dumbass out there, until you regulate birth control ala "Brave New World" there will be events like this.

We live in free society, with those freedoms there are consequences.

Crime is crime and can be reduced with some effective measures which this country will neve initiate.

A line from on of the best westerns for which I am named....

"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. "

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 09:46 AM
A truly sad story.

Tru Dat
Im sure these punks Bot them legally. :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
3/7/2008, 09:50 AM
Ewwww, guns are bad and evil. :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 09:51 AM
We can agree to disagree. There is no shortage of the dumbass out there, until you regulate birth control ala "Brave New World" there will be events like this.

Crime is crime and can be reduced with some effective measures which this country will neve initiate.

"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. "

There was a Western Named AUTO ?????
Oh I get it Western Auto the store .:P

Osce0la
3/7/2008, 09:54 AM
So a few days go by and his girlfriend says he flashed it at someone on the road for cutting him off. That to me doesn't sound like a little corkscrew or pocket knife... that sounds like someone (and a lot of people) who have no need for a deadly weapon.

Tell him that if he keeps that s*** up he will likely end up on the other end of the deal - he is going to pull that thing out in traffic trying to intimidate someone (with no intent to use it) and they're going to do the same thin right back at him - with the intent to take him out.

Curly Bill
3/7/2008, 09:55 AM
I love the exploitation of a tragedy to criticize gun ownership. :rolleyes:

Not only is it sad, but all too predictable.

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 09:58 AM
Ewwww, guns are bad and evil. :rolleyes:

Yup I skeered of em
Theres 3 Loaded right By me , right Now . Some one please come and get these horrible things away !:rolleyes:

Curly Bill
3/7/2008, 10:03 AM
Yup I skeered of em
Theres 3 Loaded right By me , right Now . Some one please come and get these horrible things away !:rolleyes:

They will, if not watched carefully, or locked away out of sight and out of mind, come alive and do mischief all by themselves. ;)

proud gonzo
3/7/2008, 10:03 AM
I just want to point out that a rock or knife or a baseball bat or a car can all be deadly weapons as well. People killed each other long before guns were invented, and in places where they have no guns people still manage to kill each other.

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 10:10 AM
I just want to point out that a rock or knife or a baseball bat or a car can all be deadly weapons as well. People killed each other long before guns were invented, and in places where they have no guns people still manage to kill each other.

Say it aint So .
Oh I forgot to mention Theres 2 Knives on My PC desk also :cool:

Tailwind
3/7/2008, 10:12 AM
All NRA arguments aside, this is a tragic thing to have happen. Lets just all pray for the young man and his family and for the deaths of the perpetrators of this crime. :(

Curly Bill
3/7/2008, 10:14 AM
All NRA arguments aside, this is a tragic thing to have happen. Lets just all pray for the young man and his family and for the deaths of the perpetrators of this crime. :(

true dat...

...but us NRA types didn't leap to the defense of the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution until others decided this tragedy would make a nice forum for their distaste of guns.

Animal Mother
3/7/2008, 12:13 PM
Say it aint So .

Damn! Are you running the desk at the Baghdad Hilton??

OCUDad
3/7/2008, 12:18 PM
A line from on of the best westerns for which I am named....They named you after a motel chain?

Collier11
3/7/2008, 12:26 PM

I agree on all counts

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 01:33 PM
Damn! Are you running the desk at the Baghdad Hilton??

Nope But Only Friends come On my hill without calling the rest Think Ill shoot em :cool:

Collier11
3/7/2008, 01:41 PM
Say it aint So .

Your like an older Dwight Schrute, do you have your nunchucks hidden in your desk as well? :D

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 05:47 PM
Your like an older Dwight Schrute, do you have your nunchucks hidden in your desk as well? :D

If a 22 Magnum . a 357 , and a 38 .plus 2 Knives dont do it Im ****ed !

Killerbees
3/7/2008, 07:24 PM
That is another sad story. Those punks are a very good reason to carry gun though.

I believe firmly that I have a reason to own a semi-auto. In fact I own several in differing calibers and gauges. I enjoy shooting them. I enjoy hunting with them. I enjoy breaking them down and cleaning them. I enjoy looking at them. I enjoy knowing that I own them.

With a good guard dog and several guns stashed around in key locations I promise that the sorry waste of human life that breaks into any place I am sleeping had better quickly comply with my directions or he/she will no longer burden the american taxpayer.

I dont mind going through a quick background check to buy a gun (not that it stops a criminal from getting one).

I do mind paying money to exercise my right to carry a gun

I do mind the fact that I cannot purchase a class III weapon as easily as I can any other.

I do mind having a radical government agency running out of control, using illegal tactics to put law abiding citizens in jail.

olevetonahill
3/7/2008, 07:52 PM
That is another sad story. Those punks are a very good reason to carry gun though.

I believe firmly that I have a reason to own a semi-auto. In fact I own several in differing calibers and gauges. I enjoy shooting them. I enjoy hunting with them. I enjoy breaking them down and cleaning them. I enjoy looking at them. I enjoy knowing that I own them.

With a good guard dog and several guns stashed around in key locations I promise that the sorry waste of human life that breaks into any place I am sleeping had better quickly comply with my directions or he/she will no longer burden the american taxpayer.

I dont mind going through a quick background check to buy a gun (not that it stops a criminal from getting one).

I do mind the fact that I cannot purchase a class III weapon as easily as I can any other.

I do mind having a radical government agency running out of control, using illegal tactics to put law abiding citizens in jail.

If Some one Is deranged enough to Come In My shack :eek:
I aint talkin Im shootin

Chuck Bao
3/7/2008, 07:54 PM

Just out of curiosity, you hunt for what with a semi-auto?

Chuck Bao
3/7/2008, 07:58 PM
If Some one Is deranged enough to Come In My shack :eek:
I aint talkin Im shootin

You talking big there Olevet. You ain't gonna harm an animal, I know. ;)

With that being said, if there is ever a fight, I want to be on your side. Please. Sir.

Jerk
3/7/2008, 08:22 PM

Prairie dogs.

do you think that the 2nd amendment is about hunting?

It has nothing to do with hunting.

Kels
3/7/2008, 09:13 PM

Dove, quail, duck, squirrel, rabbit, varmit, and deer. I've never hunted for anything without a semi-auto. Well, I take that back, I've hunted deer with a Marlin 336cs and a Remingon Model 70 in High School. One was a lever action and the other was a bolt action. So, I'd say 98% of the time I've used a semi-auto for hunting.

Jerk
3/7/2008, 09:15 PM
Dove, quail, duck, squirrel, rabbit, varmit, and deer. I've never hunted for anything without a semi-auto.

Remington 1100? (or 1187)

Damn, I am good.

auto
3/7/2008, 11:06 PM

I miss what hunting had to do with self preservation and the 2nd amendment. However, every gun I duck hunt with is semi-auto, and I grew up with Class III (full auto) weapons.

Kels
3/7/2008, 11:15 PM
Remington 1100? (or 1187)

Damn, I am good.

TOTP . . .

Sorry, J!

Belgian Browning "Sweet 16." 6 3/4 lbs, 26" bbl, improved cynlider bore, 5 shot, gas operated semi-auto. Scroll work on the receiver, a real work of art. My dad bought it new in 1952. Finest bird gun a man can own.

Chuck Bao
3/7/2008, 11:25 PM
Dove, quail, duck, squirrel, rabbit, varmit, and deer. I've never hunted for anything without a semi-auto. Well, I take that back, I've hunted deer with a Marlin 336cs and a Remingon Model 70 in High School. One was a lever action and the other was a bolt action. So, I'd say 98% of the time I've used a semi-auto for hunting.

Heh! You guys are so funny. Prairie dogs I can imagine. Dove? Quail? Duck? What's left of them after your semi-auto fire? Or does it matter?

I didn't bring up hunting, someone else did.

Curly Bill
3/7/2008, 11:28 PM
Heh! You guys are so funny. Prairie dogs I can imagine. Dove? Quail? Duck? What's left of them after your semi-auto fire? Or does it matter?

I didn't bring up hunting, someone else did.

Never shot a gun before, or been around one huh?

edit...you see: a semi-auto shoots no harder, nor is not anymore deadly then any other type of firearm.

Chuck Bao
3/7/2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah, this thread got stupid a long time ago and I unfortunately added to it. Bird hunting is with a shotgun and my comment was stupid, but there are semi auto shotguns aren't there? It seems my dad has a Armsel Striker, or street sweeper, or something like that.

I was just thinking about my dad's MR-16 or his Uzi and they really aren't like for going out hunting. Well, we never used them for that.

When I was a young teenager, my own gun was a t-bolt Remington and I managed to shot one deer about 100 yards from my house. But that was a long, long time ago. To answer your question. No, I know nothing of guns.

Chuck Bao
3/7/2008, 11:53 PM
I'm going to be shot down again. I already know it.

Okay, shoot me down.

Curly Bill
3/7/2008, 11:57 PM
There are many semi-auto shotguns out there, just as there are semi-auto rifles and handguns. They are no more deadly then other types of weapons, though some of them may be considered to look "deadlier" because of being styled on military type weapons. There are also many semi-autos that are not styled after military weapons.

Semi-autos are used for the exact same purposes that other types of weapons are: hunting, defending home and person, etc...Me and my family have owned semi-auto deer rifles, shotguns, handguns, I have a Ruger Mini-14 that has a bit of the military look to it though it is nowhere near the most powerful or deadliest firearm I own. In other words semi-autos are inherently no more sinister or deadly then other types of firearms, though to an unknowing and often uncaring meida they are portrayed as such.

Curly Bill
3/8/2008, 12:00 AM
I'm going to be shot down again. I already know it.
Okay, shoot me down.

LOL...I do like a good argument about guns and/or the 2nd Amendment. I sincerely think the facts are on my side. :D

Chuck Bao
3/8/2008, 12:19 AM
I know what you are saying and I know enough about guns to know that if there is a clip then it is semi-automatic.

You have a semi-automatic shot gun and use it for bird hunting? I think the duck, quail, dove and chicken thing got me pulled into this mess. I better get out of it. I do not own a gun that I know about. The t-bolt Remington is probably still mine, but it could be a rusted pile of junk by now in some gun vault.

I know nothing of guns, but I was quite keen to buy a grenade launcher one time at a market town on the Mekong river between Thailand and Laos. I'm not keen on starting a war or anything, but I like blowing things up, a lot.

Curly Bill
3/8/2008, 12:28 AM
I know what you are saying and I know enough about guns to know that if there is a clip then it is semi-automatic.

Not necessarily, as some bolt-actions, even lever and pump actions also use a clip.

You have a semi-automatic shot gun and use it for bird hunting? I think the duck, quail, dove and chicken thing got me pulled into this mess. I better get out of it. I do not own a gun that I know about. The t-bolt Remington is probably still mine, but it could be a rusted pile of junk by now in some gun vault.

I personally have a pump, an an over/under, and a single shot as my shotguns. I know lots of peeps that have and use semi-auto shotguns.

I know nothing of guns, but I was quite keen to buy a grenade launcher one time at a market town on the Mekong river between Thailand and Laos. I'm not keen on starting a war or anything, but I like blowing things up, a lot.

Well of course! .

Chuck Bao
3/8/2008, 12:46 AM
Is a pump a semi-automatic? I thought semi-automatic means you pull the trigger and it fires, you pull the trigger again and it fires. Automatic would be if you pulled the trigger and it keeps firing.

I'm thankful for your patience because I'm now turned on and want to learn more. Where did I go so wrong?

I'm also wondering about home protection, shouldn't a sawed off shotgun be the best. And, the semi-automatic ones even better.

Curly Bill
3/8/2008, 12:55 AM
A pump is where you cycle the action by pumping the forearm stock (the one your front hand is gripping) after every shot. This of course ejects the fired shell casing and loads a new round into the chamber for firing. This is found on some rifles but mainly on shotguns.

Yes, a semi-automatic will fire each time the trigger is pulled. The action of ejecting and loading a new cartridge is carried out using the gas pressure from the just fired round.

A shorter barreled shotgun has the advantage in home protection in that the pellet pattern will spread out more (thus more likely to hit your target.) A semi-auto with a shorter barrel would have the advantage of that greater pellet spread plus the option of additional shots quicker. For most modern shotguns you can get a 20" barrel, commonly called a slug barrel that would be good for home defense, the usual barrel being 26-30". The shorter barrel also easier to maneuver in tight quarters.

Kels
3/8/2008, 02:01 AM
Is a pump a semi-automatic? I thought semi-automatic means you pull the trigger and it fires, you pull the trigger again and it fires. Automatic would be if you pulled the trigger and it keeps firing.

I'm thankful for your patience because I'm now turned on and want to learn more. Where did I go so wrong?

I'm also wondering about home protection, shouldn't a sawed off shotgun be the best. And, the semi-automatic ones even better.

I don't think you're comments are out of line. No problems with me.

The legal limit is 16" for barrel length, I believe. I have a sawed-off double barrel 12 ga that I use for home protection. With the 16" barrels, I can't miss. The double hammer-double trigger action is more reliable IMO. So, you can leave it loaded for years and it'll shoot in a pinch. Also, there isn't a danger of penetrating through walls and possible injuring one of my family members like a high powered handgun or rifle.

Collier11
3/8/2008, 02:09 AM
I have a sawed-off double barrel 12 ga that I use for home protection.

I feel bad for whomever breaks into your house, they will be leaving w/o a face!!!

Killerbees
3/9/2008, 07:19 PM

Pigs, yotes, dove, quail, duck, squirrel mostly. Deer and turkey are two that I generally only single shots on.

olevetonahill
3/9/2008, 07:42 PM
You talking big there Olevet. You ain't gonna harm an animal, I know. ;)

With that being said, if there is ever a fight, I want to be on your side. Please. Sir.

I dont hunt Cause the Only thing Im willing to kill is what pizzes me off . and Most 4 legged critters dont do that .

olevetonahill
3/9/2008, 07:50 PM
I don't think you're comments are out of line. No problems with me.

The legal limit is 16" for barrel length, I believe. I have a sawed-off double barrel 12 ga that I use for home protection. With the 16" barrels, I can't miss. The double hammer-double trigger action is more reliable IMO. So, you can leave it loaded for years and it'll shoot in a pinch. Also, there isn't a danger of penetrating through walls and possible injuring one of my family members like a high powered handgun or rifle.

Bro If you have your Barrels cut to 16 " Can you say Randy Weaver ?

Its 18 inches On the Barrell Not less than 26 Overall .