PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre hangs his cleats up

soonerinabilene
3/4/2008, 09:39 AM
It wont be the same watching the nfl without him being a part of it.

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 09:40 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7870944?MSNHPHMA

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 09:41 AM
Dang, I thought I was the only one who just saw that. We submitted at same time. (we're gonna need to have my thread merged in or deleted please mods)

soonerinabilene
3/4/2008, 09:41 AM

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

Hanging them up
Brett Favre
Green Bay Packers
Quarterback

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G GS Comp Att Yds TD Int
257 253 5,377 8,758 61,655 442 288
So barring an unforeseen last-minute change of heart, Favre will leave the game after 17 years, during which he built himself into a household name and a figure synonymous with grit, toughness and perseverance.

Neither GM Ted Thompson nor head coach Mike McCarthy returned several calls left by FOXSports.com for confirmation.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

He led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game after passing for a stunning 4,155 yards, looking very much at times like a younger version of himself. In addition he threw 28 TDs — including an overtime Hail Mary pass to beat Denver in front of a national audience — and had a 95.7 quarterback rating. He was also voted into the Pro Bowl following the 2007 season but declined to go.

Favre leaves the game as the all-time record holder in several categories including wins, passing yards, touchdowns and consecutive games started. A three-time MVP, The southern swashbuckler won fans over with his carefree style that epitomized the "gunslinger" moniker and made fans out of everyone from the guy next door to those already enshrined in Canton.

If in fact, Favre does not have a change of heart, his final pass of a Hall of Fame Career was an interception by the Giants' Corey Webster, setting up New York's overtime win in the NFC title game.

For the last few years, the question of whether or not Favre was going to retire has been the most debated topic during the off-season. Two years ago he let his decision linger as reports both that he was returning and that he was retiring emerged. In fact, at one point he was supposedly going to announce his retirement at his charity golf tournament. Of course, those reports ultimately proved to be false.

Then after his final game of the 2006 season, a tearing and emotional Favre appeared on national TV and seemed to be bidding the game adieu. But once again, he had a change of heart and came back for what proved to be one heck of a final hurrah.

This time, Favre has made his decision and will likely make it publicly known soon. However, like in the past, Favre could wake up any day now and decide to change his mind, although that doesn't seem likely at this point.

The team will now shift to Aaron Rodgers, a former first-round pick, who has had few opportunities to play since being selected with the 24th overall pick in the 2005 draft. But when Favre was injured in a Thursday night game against Dallas this past season, Rodgers looked pretty good in relief. The former Cal star completed 18 of 26 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown — the first of his career — and nearly rallied the Packers to the win.

soonerinabilene
3/4/2008, 09:43 AM
Dang, I thought I was the only one who just saw that. We submitted at same time. (we're gonna need to have mine merged in or deleted please mods)

heh. I guess neither of us have anything better to do at 8:45 in the morning.

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 09:48 AM
heh. I guess neither of us have anything better to do at 8:45 in the morning.
I just came in from playin in the snow w/my wife and son.
My buddy texted me and said Favre retired. We're so fast that espn didn't even have the story posted yet when I looked. I found it on that msn.com site.

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 09:50 AM
Now they got it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

soonerinabilene
3/4/2008, 09:54 AM
Mike and Mike aint got sh*t on us!

walkoffsooner
3/4/2008, 09:59 AM
He might change his mind. Its a long summer

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 10:02 AM
Mike and Mike aint got sh*t on us!
Damn straight!

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 10:36 AM
In related news, all sharp objects were removed from the Madden Cruiser this morning...

Easting
3/4/2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks Brett. I've enjoyed every minute.

Mac94
3/4/2008, 11:25 AM
Man, I still remember seeing him play college ball ... back when Southern Miss played A&M at Kyle Field in 1989. It'll be weird not having #4 in the NFL.

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 11:38 AM
while it won't be weird having every announcer in the world mispronounce his name anymore.

it's Fav-er

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 11:53 AM
Even if you don't like Favre, you gotta respect the love he has for the game. And he's one tough sumbitch

BermudaSooner
3/4/2008, 11:57 AM
I can't believe his last pass is a game losing interception.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/4/2008, 12:47 PM
somebody check on Badger today...NP, Badger, prayers sent

GrapevineSooner
3/4/2008, 12:55 PM
somebody check on Badger today...NP, Badger, prayers sent

Don't forget Dean. ;)

Seriously, thanks for all those great years, Brett. It was great watching you play.

Especially at Texas Stadium. :D

TUSooner
3/4/2008, 01:04 PM
I thought he'd come back for one more.
It sounds hokey these days, but his "love of the game," was what made him great to watch and admire. Whenever you see somebody doing a good job well and enjoying it, it makes you feel OK.

sooneron
3/4/2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the fun memories, Brett.

SoonerBOI
3/4/2008, 01:20 PM
No one plays with more passion more intensity for the game than this man. He'll be missed.

StoopTroup
3/4/2008, 01:50 PM
It's was time...

I think last years performance showed he was one of the greats.

I'm not a Packer fan but he was a perfect fit for them.

They will be hard pressed to fill his shoes.

Denver had this same thing happen when Elway retired.

Even though I'm not a Packer fan...I hope it doesn't get to ugly for them...

jdsooner
3/4/2008, 01:54 PM
Say it isn't so, Brett.
Thanks for the memories and Go Pack Go!

Partial Qualifier
3/4/2008, 02:15 PM
The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

that statement is a little overblown, isn't it?

bri
3/4/2008, 02:19 PM
Man, I guess he was serious when he said the Pack needed to get Randy Moss if they want him to keep playing. :D

GottaHavePride
3/4/2008, 02:22 PM
that statement is a little overblown, isn't it?

Maybe a tad. But all the same, how many records does the guy own? And just sheer longevity puts him past most other guys.

MojoRisen
3/4/2008, 02:23 PM
Who would you rate as your top 5 QB's of All time? Here are mine in no specific order

1. Joe Montana
2. John Elway
3. Johnny Unitas
4. Dan Marino
5. Brett Farve

Lot's of people rate this off of superbowl wins - but I think all of these guys are better than Tom Brady - I hate that dude.

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 02:30 PM
Maybe a tad. But all the same, how many records does the guy own? And just sheer longevity puts him past most other guys.

most?

try all.

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 02:32 PM
Who would you rate as your top 5 QB's of All time? Here are mine in no specific order

1. Joe Montana
2. John Elway
3. Johnny Unitas
4. Dan Marino
5. Brett Farve

Lot's of people rate this off of superbowl wins - but I think all of these guys are better than Tom Brady - I hate that dude.

I like Danny Marino as much as anyone, but based on just about every conceivable category Fav-Er has him beat. I don't see any way you can rank Dan ahead of Brett.

MojoRisen
3/4/2008, 02:58 PM
I hear you - but Dan did not play as many years - I did not mean to give them any specific order above- just wanted to name top 5

Partial Qualifier
3/4/2008, 03:09 PM

sure, no doubt - I agree. But "Longetivity" doesn't equal "Most storied ever". Maybe just a poor choice of words.

I like Brett; just saying. A great QB to be sure but hardly the "most storied". Johnny U, Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Elway, Montana, hell.. Joe Namath for that matter were all "more storied" than Favre.

Enjoy your retirement Brett, you truly earned it.

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 05:29 PM
I wonder how GB feels now about letting ENA go...and that other QB that ENA was competing w/last preseason at GB. If I remember correctly, their only QB now is Aaron Rodgers

Breadburner
3/4/2008, 05:40 PM
Who was Farve's first NFL team.......

Partial Qualifier
3/4/2008, 05:40 PM
Atlanta

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 05:41 PM
The falcons right?

SleestakSooner
3/4/2008, 06:01 PM
I can't believe that article didn't mention Favre's consecutive games started streak which can only be compared to what Cal Ripken did in the major leagues.

As far as SB rings goes he may not compare to other greats, but combine all his accomplishments up and consider his durability and he is easily a top five QB all time in my book.

SoonerInKCMO
3/4/2008, 06:53 PM
Bah. Cheeseheads and anyone that plays for them suck. Good riddance.

Breadburner
3/4/2008, 06:55 PM
Yup....Falcons....It's a good one to bring up in football conversation.....I have used it on more than one Packer fan....heh...

badger
3/4/2008, 07:35 PM
:cry::cry::cry:

stoops the eternal pimp
3/4/2008, 07:51 PM
glad your ok

Sabanball
3/4/2008, 08:45 PM

1. Joe Montana
2. John Elway
3. Johnny Unitas
4. Dan Marino
5. Brett Farve

Hard to argue with that list, at least as far as the modern era of the NFL is concerned. However I can think of some others deserving mention and consideration if we're going to go back before 1950...

As far as the Brett Favre thing goes, I think ESPN overplayed the whole deal if you ask me. To watch their programming today, you would have thought a national tragedy or death occurred. The fact of the matter is this guy should have retired 3-4 yrs ago. That being said, I respect what he accomplished. I had the opportunity to see him play his senior year at Southern Miss. He came to Birmingham in '90 and beat us, along with our new coach Gene Stallings, in our opener. We were two years away from our last NC and it was considered a huge upset at the time, but seeing how he turned out we were probably lucky to make it a close game that day at legion field.
Look forward to having you back in God's Country, Brett....

BudSooner
3/4/2008, 08:46 PM
Considering that after Holmgren left the team was going thru so much crap just to get back to being a decent team, restructuring his contract when alot of players are seeking more money, the tough times he has experience yet toughed it out...death of his dad/bro in law/wife going thru cancer...this man has much much respect from me.
Brett, your one of a kind, a legend, your a Super Bowl winner...and the last true gunslinger.

Never been a Pack fan, but man you made the game fun to watch.
Enjoy your retirement and go fishing dammit! :D

badger
3/4/2008, 10:27 PM
I miss him already :(

We also had a few layoffs today, so I had a doubly sad day :(:(

goingoneight
3/4/2008, 10:53 PM
I can't believe his last pass is a game losing interception.

Believe it. In between a deflected first pass and a career-ending interception lies probably the greatest NFL career or all time. This coming from a Dallas fan.

OU4LIFE
3/5/2008, 09:07 AM
I miss him already :(

We also had a few layoffs today, so I had a doubly sad day :(:(

hope all that stuff misses you.

badger
3/6/2008, 09:30 PM
hope all that stuff misses you.

It was a different office, but it was still sad. I was in no place to be moping about my favorite football player retiring with that stuff going down the same day.

BudSooner
3/6/2008, 09:37 PM
Look at it like this, he didn't go out like Jordan a man who clearly couldn't see that it wasn't in his best interest to play for the Wizards...it made him look like a ****ing joke. Sad really, i'm a Jordan fan fwiw.

KC//CRIMSON
3/6/2008, 09:45 PM
In related news, all sharp objects were removed from the Madden Cruiser this morning...

You know that guy just ate/destroyed five turduckins. Belch!

joeTsooner
3/7/2008, 01:00 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/07/packers-now-turn-their-attention-to-finding-somebody-to-back-up/

Saw this write up about finding a back up for Aaron Rodgers and I thought, what about Paul Thompson? Isn't he still in the picture?

Collier11
3/7/2008, 01:07 PM
Great career! We truly got to watch one of the greats, I see him somewhere around #4-8 but def. one of the top 2-3 that ive ever seen play