PDA

View Full Version : Saw a New-braska fan the other day...

David Earl
3/4/2008, 08:03 AM
After dining in Lubbock I noticed a Nebraska fan. Stopped to chat and our conversation quickly went to football and their new coach. He seemed like a really classy guy, not pumping too much sunshine, but positive about his program.

Two things from our conversation really stood out. He did NOT like Callahan. He likes Bo and thinks they should have hired him in the first place. He feels like NU has a shot at getting pretty good pretty quick and competing for the North in a year or so. At least that was my impression of his feelings.

I told him I think NU will eventually return to former glory B.P. It will take him some time, but I suspect the immediate result may be NU finishing second or third in the North in 08.

oudivesherpa
3/4/2008, 08:07 AM
Truly elite programs have the ability to bounce back after poor coaching, remember the Blake years, or better yet forget the Blake years.

King Crimson
3/4/2008, 08:23 AM
i don't think it's gonna be that (coupla years) easy for NU. on the good side, Callahan recruited pretty well but they've been terrible on D. Cosgrove sucked out loud. I guess Pelini will help there. i find the love affair with bugeaters and pelini kinda dumb. All of a sudden, they adore Frank Solich who was misused by Pederson (the devil). when most of them were ragging the guy for recruiting and they got sold a bill of goods with Cally. who pretty much everybody BUT NU fans saw was a jerk, liar, and bad fit at NU.

most of them were all ready to sell their souls for Callahan if he won 10 games last year. they are in a delusional state of "back in teh family", now.

objectively speaking, Bo's asst. coach hires are pretty underwhelming. and with too much the Dr. Tom fingerprint. Barney Cotton?

at this point, NU fans are so desperate to win they'll buy any sack of crap. at least the 90's type fans. older fans, who remember that Dr. Tom was 5-12 against Switzer, are a little more realistic.

soonerfan28
3/4/2008, 09:41 AM
Are there any consistently great teams in the Big 12 North. Last year was good for Mizzou and Kansas, but is that going to be the same this year. Maybe for Mizzou, but Kansas will struggle with a tougher schedule. Although I wish Mangino the best except on Oct 18th. My point is this, the North has been a Jeckyll and Hyde division, so Nebraska being Nebraska can become a power in the North probably in the next 2 years. I think this year it's Mizzou's to lose. They have a ways to go before they can compete with OU and Texas. Well, maybe just OU.

David Earl
3/4/2008, 09:51 AM
Mizzou or KU is understandably favored for this season, but I think old Bo may figure out a way to rattle Chase. We'll see.

MojoRisen
3/4/2008, 12:54 PM
Nebraska did recruit some talent over the years so I could see them emerge in 09 for sure and maybe this year- I am not sure why they sucked so bad last year on Defense.. The year before they were actually a pretty solid team- we jumped them in the Big 12 CH and got a lead early but it was competitive - and they blew the game against a good Auburn Team in the cotton bowl and blew the Texas game they basically had sealed. Then all the suden they sucked last year - I guess they had no depth after kariker and some others went pro.

Nebraska has good in state talent and damn good facilities - you would have to suck like Callahan not to win games at Nebbish.

There loses in 06 were OU, Texas, USC , Auburn and one other - and they were competitive in all those games above and could have maybe won a couple...

StoopTroup
3/4/2008, 01:47 PM
Once a Dynasty...always a Dynasty IMO...

Except for Notre Dame. :D

colleyvillesooner
3/4/2008, 03:20 PM
Mizzou or KU is understandably favored for this season, but I think old Bo may figure out a way to rattle Chase. We'll see.

Probably by watching our two game films. :D

sooneron
3/4/2008, 03:29 PM
I would put them on a 3 year plan to win the North. Maybe 4. Like stated earlier, the North is never consistent. I think MU will be very good with KU pressing them. CU seems to be on the right track. It's a division that could be ripe for upsets for the next two-three years. KSu could also be in the mix as a surprise either next year or the following.

Jacie
3/5/2008, 07:02 AM
It's like who is hungrier, the program that has never made it to the top or the program that knows what it is missing.

opksooner
3/9/2008, 05:34 PM
If Nebraska has a nice season we should all remind them ___ repeatedly___ that it is really Callahan's team. Doncha think, DE?

Big Red Ron
3/9/2008, 07:10 PM
If Nebraska has a nice season we should all remind them ___ repeatedly___ that it is really Callahan's team. Doncha think, DE?
And John Blake's players.

Jacie
3/9/2008, 07:20 PM
I prefer the term "nebbish" when discussing anyone from the other Big Red.

Big Red Ron
3/9/2008, 07:56 PM
I prefer the term "nebbish" when discussing anyone from the other Big Red.
Or just Neb.

David Earl
3/9/2008, 08:12 PM

LOL, I think that would start a riot with some Huskers.

goingoneight
3/9/2008, 10:07 PM
Shouldn't they change their call to "big orange?" mean, srsly... when was the last time they wore red? :confused:

Louisiana Husker
3/11/2008, 05:17 PM
Shouldn't they change their call to "big orange?" mean, srsly... when was the last time they wore red? :confused:

And as Bugs Bunny would say, "You all are a bunch of Maroons." ;)

ric311
3/11/2008, 06:58 PM
Here's the problem facing nebraska: They have a brand new head coach with no previous head coaching experience at any level. Not even high school. Their assistants, as KC noted, are entirely mediocre. Barney Cotton, Shawn "The booger" Watson, etc. So they have a head coach with no head coaching experience leading a bunch of guys who've proven nothing. Maybe he'll get it turned around, maybe not. If I were TO, I would have wanted a guy who had run a program before. Pelini is a risky hire, IMO. I think a better hire for them would have been Joe Glenn at WYO. A guy who's been a head coach for a long time, has won championships, and has roots in Lincoln. Apparently none of that mattered, though.

Their other problem is that the B12 North is getting better, not worse. Missouri, Kansas and Colorado are all ahead of them right now and trending up, and KSU and ISU are really not that far behind. They have some catching up to do.

Louisiana Husker
3/11/2008, 10:22 PM
Here's the problem facing nebraska: They have a brand new head coach with no previous head coaching experience at any level. Not even high school. Their assistants, as KC noted, are entirely mediocre. Barney Cotton, Shawn "The booger" Watson, etc. So they have a head coach with no head coaching experience leading a bunch of guys who've proven nothing. Maybe he'll get it turned around, maybe not. If I were TO, I would have wanted a guy who had run a program before. Pelini is a risky hire, IMO. I think a better hire for them would have been Joe Glenn at WYO. A guy who's been a head coach for a long time, has won championships, and has roots in Lincoln. Apparently none of that mattered, though.

Their other problem is that the B12 North is getting better, not worse. Missouri, Kansas and Colorado are all ahead of them right now and trending up, and KSU and ISU are really not that far behind. They have some catching up to do.

ric, you are wrong, Bo does have experience as a head coach, even though it may not be an entire season. He was the interim coach after Solich got fired and lead the Huskers to the Alamo Bowl win over Michigan State. Also IIRC the vast majority of the Husker Nation wanted Pelini to become the next Husker coach.

As for what KC said, obviously he forgot that the Blackshirts also sucked when Craig Bohl was the defensive coordindator, hence the reason why several Husker fans gave Cosgrove the nickname "Coshbohl", yet the one year that Pelini ran the Blackshirts he was able to take a defense that was ranked 55th nationally the year before and make it the 11th ranked defense in the nation along with leading the nation in turnover margin.

As for the hiring of numbnuts, I gave him the benefit of doubt, but with me also being a KC Chiefs fan, I was unsure of his hire, especially with the way that Pedey seemed to be on a one person crusade during that time.

Also ric, it seemed that our offense worked a lot better when numbnuts actually allowed Watson to run the offense, look at the KSU and Colorado games.

Big Red Ron
3/11/2008, 10:31 PM
Neb.'s real problem is that they have no natural recruiting base. I honestly believe they have fallen to the point that their best possible place in CFB is somewhere between Colorado and Auburn. Good solid program with a few nice peaks but I'd be shocked if they won a national championship in the next 20 years.

David Earl
3/11/2008, 10:47 PM
BRR, I'll be shocked if ANYBODY wins a ntational championship in the next 20 years. I mean... really... you know?

Big Red Ron
3/11/2008, 10:56 PM
BRR, I'll be shocked if ANYBODY wins a ntational championship in the next 20 years. I mean... really... you know?Naw, I feel ya. I really was going to type ever but I hedged. I just don't see them getting into the OU, USC, Texas, FLA, tOSU tier of CFB ever again.

ric311
3/11/2008, 11:30 PM
ric, you are wrong, Bo does have experience as a head coach, even though it may not be an entire season. He was the interim coach after Solich got fired and lead the Huskers to the Alamo Bowl win over Michigan State. Also IIRC the vast majority of the Husker Nation wanted Pelini to become the next Husker coach.

As for what KC said, obviously he forgot that the Blackshirts also sucked when Craig Bohl was the defensive coordindator, hence the reason why several Husker fans gave Cosgrove the nickname "Coshbohl", yet the one year that Pelini ran the Blackshirts he was able to take a defense that was ranked 55th nationally the year before and make it the 11th ranked defense in the nation along with leading the nation in turnover margin.

As for the hiring of numbnuts, I gave him the benefit of doubt, but with me also being a KC Chiefs fan, I was unsure of his hire, especially with the way that Pedey seemed to be on a one person crusade during that time.

Also ric, it seemed that our offense worked a lot better when numbnuts actually allowed Watson to run the offense, look at the KSU and Colorado games.

My man, I know you're trying to feel better about things, but saying Pelini was a head coach by stating that he was the interim coach for three weeks doesn't cut it. That's a real reach. He's never put a team through spring practices. He's never installed an offense. He's never set a starting lineup. In reality, he's never been a head coach. Whether the majority of fusker nation wanted him to be the coach after Solich left is irrelevant. If he was that good, he would have been given a HC shot somewhere in the five year interim period, wouldn't you think? I would.

And take it from somebody who knows, Watson is horrible. Be prepared for lots of bubble screens and 5 yard outs when it's 3rd and 8. The guy has ONE good game in him per year. And that Colorado game wasn't nearly as great as you're making it out to be. True, the fuskers scored 35 points in the first half and then NOTHING in the 2nd half until it was garbage time. You call that good coaching? Great adjustments there, captain booger.

Finally, Pelini won't be running the defense, will he? That's going to be somebody else's job.

The one guy on that staff that has proven something is Ted Gilmore. Why he's still there is beyond me.

You can rationalize all you want. I think the fuskers have problems. Bo Peep may turn out OK, but he hasn't proven anything yet.

David Earl
3/12/2008, 12:25 AM
Naw, I feel ya. I really was going to type ever but I hedged. I just don't see them getting into the OU, USC, Texas, FLA, tOSU tier of CFB ever again.

Maybe there is enough $ and drive to win up in Husker land they can pull it back together. When OU fired Blake a lot of UT fans said the same stuff about OU. Yet here we are in the mix on a regular basis... I'm not saying it WILL happen in Husker land, but I believe it CAN happen.

NormanPride
3/12/2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, but the biggest difference is that we can pull from Texas a lot easier than NU can. Whereas if we slip a bit in stature we can still clean up on the recruits Texas doesn't want, NU does not have that luxury.

David Earl
3/12/2008, 11:48 AM
NU could draw on recruits from the Dakota's and Wyoming...

David Earl
3/12/2008, 11:48 AM
SRSLY, they can pull from Illinois and the midwest.

NormanPride
3/12/2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah, but they have to compete with the Big 10 there. Any way you slice it, they have to get people from either a long way away or from a different conference's area. That's an uphill battle, especially since Illinois is getting better.

Civicus_Sooner
3/12/2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, but they have to compete with the Big 10 there. Any way you slice it, they have to get people from either a long way away or from a different conference's area. That's an uphill battle, especially since Illinois is getting better.Compounding their problem is their almost worse than Penn State's uniforms. That goofy looking N on their helmets with the stripe is so weak.

dw17
3/12/2008, 02:14 PM
I would think that anyone considering Nebraska would be into tradition and they do have traditional uniforms. Just don't let Nike get a hold of them.

dw17
3/12/2008, 03:06 PM
You guys are mean. And then nice right after. :D

Husker In Oklahoma
3/17/2008, 04:06 PM
He's never put a team through spring practices. He's never installed an offense. He's never set a starting lineup. In reality, he's never been a head coach.

Neither was Stoops before OU hired him. NU is going to win immediately. Mark it down. 8 wins minimum in 2008.

HBick
3/18/2008, 02:45 AM
chase seems to get really excited and then when something doesn't go his way (lofton tackling him from behind big 12 championship game anyone?) he tends to get flustered and lose some of his poise. although i'm sure if ou makes it back to the big 12 championship game it will be mizzou.

Civicus_Sooner
3/18/2008, 11:43 AM
Neither was Stoops before OU hired him. NU is going to win immediately. Mark it down. 8 wins minimum in 2008.

Well, it's safe to say, he's no Bob Stoops. Heck, who is? We won 7 games in Stoops first year.

Sat, Aug 30 Western Michigan Memorial Stadium W

Sat, Sep 06 San Jose State Memorial Stadium W

Sat, Sep 13 New Mexico State Memorial Stadium W

Sat, Sep 27 Virginia Tech Memorial Stadium L

Sat, Oct 04 Missouri * Memorial Stadium L

Sat, Oct 11 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas L

Sat, Oct 18 Iowa State * at Ames, Iowa W

Sat, Oct 25 Baylor * Memorial Stadium W

Sat, Nov 01 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla. L

Sat, Nov 08 Kansas * Memorial Stadium L

Sat, Nov 15 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan. L

Fri, Nov 28 Colorado * Memorial Stadium L

By my count, you should be 5-7, with some luck you'll be 6-6

MojoRisen
3/18/2008, 11:58 AM
Nebraska's facilities crush Illinois facilities. Osborne never had any problem recruiting Nationally.

Nebraska has actually recruited pretty well over the last couple of years so I think that the talent is there.

You have to be a homer not to win at Nebraska - look at their weight room, locker room and practice facilities and they can attract top Recruits nationally if they have anyone capable of recruiting. Solich couldn't sign the players was his problem - Osborne did all over including California recruits.

ric311
3/20/2008, 06:52 PM

Bob Stoops also had some pretty good assistants on that staff. The same cannot be said for the group Pelini has put together.

Where are those 8 wins going to come from?

Just more fusker delusional rantings.

ric311
3/20/2008, 06:55 PM
Well, it's safe to say, he's no Bob Stoops. Heck, who is? We won 7 games in Stoops first year.

Sat, Aug 30 Western Michigan Memorial Stadium W

Sat, Sep 06 San Jose State Memorial Stadium W

Sat, Sep 13 New Mexico State Memorial Stadium W

Sat, Sep 27 Virginia Tech Memorial Stadium L

Sat, Oct 04 Missouri * Memorial Stadium L

Sat, Oct 11 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas L

Sat, Oct 18 Iowa State * at Ames, Iowa W

Sat, Oct 25 Baylor * Memorial Stadium W

Sat, Nov 01 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla. L

Sat, Nov 08 Kansas * Memorial Stadium L

Sat, Nov 15 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan. L

Fri, Nov 28 Colorado * Memorial Stadium L

Eight freaking home games. Unbelievable. Only in stincoln.

goingoneight
3/21/2008, 12:48 AM
I think if someone was smart enough and willing to take the criticism for it, they could Bill Snyder their way back to the North Championship and take their chances at the BCS by battling OU or Texas. They're the best program hands down in the North division, they just haven't been managed well since Pederson arrived. He's gone, hopefully things change... I like Nebraska when they're not playing OU... same with Alabammer and Florida.

KentuckySooner
3/25/2008, 10:12 AM
I ask that this thread be deleted immediatly...it must be a hoax! NEBRASKA does not have FANS!

The VIIIth
3/27/2008, 01:53 PM

I'm rejoining Huskerpedia tonight, if only to ensure that OPK's wishes come true...that and the fact that I heard nothing for five years past the NC in 2000 (How cool is it to win the FIRST National Championship of the Millennium) from Nebbish fans other than Stoops can only win with Boo's players...

viii

royalfan5
3/27/2008, 02:57 PM

That's a cross I'd be willing to bear.

cvsooner
3/27/2008, 05:25 PM
Pelini is acting like a head coach. From collegefootballtalk.com:

POSTED 5:31 p.m. EST, March 26, 2008

PELINI TELLS CORNHUSKERS BARS ARE OFF-LIMITS

In an attempt to head off trouble away from the field, Nebraska coach Bo Pelini has declared several downtown Lincoln bars to be off-limits to his players.

The policy seems to be a reaction to the March 8 arrest of Nebraska player Andy Christensen for suspicion of sexual assault. Christensen was accused of grabbing a woman underneath her skirt while at a bar in downtown Lincoln. A police report says Christensen aggressively fought with officers as they tried to arrest him and kicked a dent in a police car. Christensen is suspended from the team indefinitely.

Nebraska quarterback Joe Ganz says the players accept the new policy.

"We're grown men. We understand what we have to do to help us get there," Ganz said. Like all college kids, we like to go out and have fun with each other. We always hung out with each other. But it's something we're going to have to sacrifice, and it's not really a big sacrifice to make if we're going to do what we want to do."

Ganz said there is no rule barring players who are 21 and older from drinking.