PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Hotel

Mjcpr
3/3/2008, 08:56 PM
For those that follow this sort of thing, the Atlas Life building in downtown Tulsa is being turned into a hotel. I'm not that familiar with this building, but it has some cool "atlas" logos in it.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2008/atlas.jpg
http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/images/7959765_BG1.jpg
http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/images/7959765_BG3.jpg

There's a cool one of the door locks on the Ch 6 website up in the right hand corner...it's from a video. (http://www.newson6.com/Global/category.asp?C=112039&nav=menu682_1)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?articleID=20080303_5__SJSHo05376

King Crimson
3/3/2008, 09:00 PM
that is cool.

Boomer.....
3/4/2008, 08:22 AM
They definitely need more hotels downtown, especially with the "transformation" that it is trying to undergo.

Mjcpr
3/4/2008, 09:43 AM
I thought this would surely be at 2 pages by now.

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 09:48 AM
You need two pages?

Have I told you about my hole-in-one?

Mjcpr
3/4/2008, 09:50 AM
I'm just going to change my PPP setting to 3.

walkoffsooner
3/4/2008, 09:52 AM
You need two pages?

I would like to here about it.

sanantoniosooner
3/4/2008, 09:54 AM
careful.

Next he'll be telling you when he took one in his hole.

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 09:55 AM
How about I tell you about it, HERE.

It was a beautiful, sunny, albeit windy, August afternoon...and there I was, in the midst of a rather pedestrian round. I was on pace to post an underwhelming 80 or so...

IB4OU2
It'll be a botike hotel...cool! Stoolwater got one of those recently.

Mjcpr
I would like to here about it.

It was a stock 6-iron, 118yds, wind 20mph and helping......

Mjcpr
3/4/2008, 09:56 AM
It'll be a botike hotel...cool! Stoolwater got one of those recently.

WTF is a botique hotel?

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 09:57 AM
we come to the 17th, a deceiving little minx of a hole, 186 yards that days, the wind was a little across and into us. At this point, I just wanted the round to be over....I really had lost interest at this point and was just wanting to get it finished without too much further embarrassment.

IB4OU2
3/4/2008, 10:01 AM
WTF is a botique hotel?

I'm thinking it means sheep friendly? Not sure though.

Boomer.....
3/4/2008, 10:01 AM
WTF is a botique hotel?
boutique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boutique_hotel)

walkoffsooner
3/4/2008, 10:04 AM
we come to the 17th, a deceiving little minx of a hole, 186 yards that days, the wind was a little across and into us. At this point, I just wanted the round to be over....I really had lost interest at this point and was just wanting to get it finished without too much further embarrassment.

Then what

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 10:08 AM
Saw this on the news this morning, I always think it's cool when they revamp old downtown buidlings and get them up and running again. Like McNellies http://www.mcnellies.com
and places like that.

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 10:08 AM
I pulled the 6 iron, it plays a little downhill..and I was angry at the way I was playing so I planned on hitting something firm to take out a little frustration. I knew I had to hook it to get it there, So I played it a little right, and made a swing and hoped for the best.

it.

never.

left.

the.

flag.

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 10:10 AM
186 yards. 6 iron. hit's about 2 inches left and behind the cup, hops back and in. dunk.

then began the celebration. I can't even remember what I did on 18. srsly.

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 10:11 AM
are we at two pages yet?

once word gets out that I'm telling THE STORY, we should get to 3 pretty easily, Pat.

JohnnyMack
3/4/2008, 10:14 AM
I hate this place.

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 10:17 AM
You need two pages?

Since we're trying to hit 2 pages....
I've never had a hole in one.
I do, however, have an eagle on my record. At heritage hills course in Claremore about 6 or 7 years ago. It was hole #4 (for those of you that are familiar with that course). I had a lousy drive. Shanked it off to the left. So my second shot I pulled out my old trusty 3 wood and let it fly. It landed on the left side of the green and rolled all the way to the right side and dropped in the cup. That will probably never happen again for me. I used to hit with my woods a lot, but not so much anymore. I've become an iron out of the fairway type of player. In fact I don't even carry a 3 or 5 wood in my bag anymore.

Position Limit
3/4/2008, 10:19 AM
yes, a landmark building downtown quietly sold last week so that our worthless mayor can make the annoucement to little fanfare. so far all tenants have recieved their eviction notices. including the Atlas Grill. the best diner in the state. a resturant that has been in that lobbyway for years. the press club will be leaving also. the san francisco moneyman kanbar, bought the dilapidated property 2 short years ago and did nothing with it. me thinks kathy taylor somehow threw him a lifejacket and got some wannabe real estate developer known for 2 very tacky, glorified motel 8's in the broken arrow vicinity to buy the place. i mean with the only hotel downtown, Adams Mark, barely able to get bodies in the rooms why should'nt a "botique" hotel set the world on fire? i would love to see the fine details of this deal. i didnt realize banks were still lending money out for this garbage. i guess the credit crunch hasnt hit the commercial side yet. whatever.

IB4OU2
3/4/2008, 10:36 AM
Since we're trying to hit 2 pages....
I've never had a hole in one.
I do, however, have an eagle on my record. At heritage hills course in Claremore about 6 or 7 years ago. It was hole #4 (for those of you that are familiar with that course). I had a lousy drive. Shanked it off to the left. So my second shot I pulled out my old trusty 3 wood and let it fly. It landed on the left side of the green and rolled all the way to the right side and dropped in the cup. That will probably never happen again for me. I used to hit with my woods a lot, but not so much anymore. I've become an iron out of the fairway type of player. In fact I don't even carry a 3 or 5 wood in my bag anymore.

I birdied the first hole at Lafortune on Saturday.

Boomer.....
3/4/2008, 10:40 AM
yes, a landmark building downtown quietly sold last week so that our worthless mayor can make the annoucement to little fanfare. so far all tenants have recieved their eviction notices. including the Atlas Grill. the best diner in the state. a resturant that has been in that lobbyway for years. the press club will be leaving also. the san francisco moneyman kanbar, bought the dilapidated property 2 short years ago and did nothing with it. me thinks kathy taylor somehow threw him a lifejacket and got some wannabe real estate developer known for 2 very tacky, glorified motel 8's in the broken arrow vicinity to buy the place. i mean with the only hotel downtown, Adams Mark, barely able to get bodies in the rooms why should'nt a "botique" hotel set the world on fire? i would love to see the fine details of this deal. i didnt realize banks were still lending money out for this garbage. i guess the credit crunch hasnt hit the commercial side yet. whatever.
There is no Adams Mark hotel in downtown Tulsa. Do you mean Double Tree or Crown Plaza?

Mjcpr
3/4/2008, 10:46 AM

All of that is true except that the Atlas Grill isn't moving, nor is the Tulsa Press Club. Also, if your peeved that Kanbar did nothing with it, you should be happy he sold it and it is going to be developed. The Adams Mark/Crowne Plaza isn't the only hotel downtown, there is a Double Tree that I can see out of my window and to my knowledge, they're both doing quite well.

I have a feeling I'm going to like you. :)

Position Limit
3/4/2008, 10:46 AM
my mistake. i mean the crown plaza. i think i use to be adams mark. it's changed hands so much over the years i dont keep up. i've also been informed that the atlas grill and press club get to stay. everybody else gets to leave.

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 10:47 AM
I thought they did a good job with the motel/hotel, whatever it is up there by Bass Pro Shops. Also I'm pretty certain these guys own one of those nicer looking hotels by the movie theater on 71st street..you know, over there by Cheddars and "Restaurant Row"...I think it's the one behind Wendys, or maybe, is it more over there by Barnes and Noble that I'm thinkin they own?? I can picture it in my mind, but can't remember it's exact location.

Mjcpr
3/4/2008, 10:48 AM
my mistake. i mean the crown plaza. i think i use to be adams mark. it's changed hands so much over the years i dont keep up. i've also been informed that the atlas grill and press club get to stay. everybody else gets to leave.

Everybody else gets to leave into other properties downtown owned by Kanbar Properties, according to the article that I read. So, an old building gets updated, a hotel is added to support the arena and other vacant office space gets filled.

What's the problem?

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 10:50 AM
be nice, Pat.

Position Limit
3/4/2008, 11:28 AM
All of that is true except that the Atlas Grill isn't moving, nor is the Tulsa Press Club. Also, if your peeved that Kanbar did nothing with it, you should be happy he sold it and it is going to be developed. The Adams Mark/Crowne Plaza isn't the only hotel downtown, there is a Double Tree that I can see out of my window and to my knowledge, they're both doing quite well.

I have a feeling I'm going to like you. :)

"there is a Double Tree that I can see out of my window and to my knowledge, they're both doing quite well."

what are you a leasing agent at the central park apartments? and contrary to your knowledge the crown plaze isnt doing "quite well". also, i never wrote or implied that i was peeved that kanbar did nothing with the property, i just thought the deal did'nt make sense. hence my inquiry about fine details. my above post states that i have been informed of the atlas grill and the press club. but dont think for a second that after the hotel resturant goes in, that the grill will be gone. that hotel will need every penny it can get and it's not going to compete to get it.

how do you like me now?

BigRedJed
3/4/2008, 11:45 AM
http://tickettransaction.com/EventImages/01003-000/toby.jpg

Mjcpr
3/4/2008, 11:45 AM
"there is a Double Tree that I can see out of my window and to my knowledge, they're both doing quite well."

what are you a leasing agent at the central park apartments? and contrary to your knowledge the crown plaze isnt doing "quite well". also, i never wrote or implied that i was peeved that kanbar did nothing with the property, i just thought the deal did'nt make sense. hence my inquiry about fine details. my above post states that i have been informed of the atlas grill and the press club. but dont think for a second that after the hotel resturant goes in, that the grill will be gone. that hotel will need every penny it can get and it's not going to compete to get it.

how do you like me now?

That must be how they're affording the remodel.

I wasn't speculating, I was giving you facts....the Grill and the Press Club aren't going anywhere according to what I've read. I don't want them to either, but even if they did it's not like the Atlas Grill is some kind of long time Tulsa landmark. When did they open, 2005?

About the same as I thought I would.

Position Limit
3/4/2008, 11:55 AM
That must be how they're affording the remodel.

I wasn't speculating, I was giving you facts....the Grill and the Press Club aren't going anywhere according to what I've read. I don't want them to either, but even if they did it's not like the Atlas Grill is some kind of long time Tulsa landmark. When did they open, 2005?

About the same as I thought I would.

dude, i never said you were speculating. i corrected myself before you even chimed in. i know the owners of the grill and they've told me that they get to stay for now. good grief. and that resturant has been there longer than 3 years. it use to have a different owner. and i'd be willing to wager the press club was in business before 2005. i'm done ****ing. that's it.

i'm really liking you.

Mjcpr
3/4/2008, 11:56 AM
I win!

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 11:57 AM
I sense some tension :pop:
Can we go back to talking about golf now? :D

BigRedJed
3/4/2008, 11:58 AM
I'm glad you guys like each other so much. This is progress.

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 11:59 AM
I'm glad you guys like each other so much. This is progress.
It's almost like seeing Obama and Hellary hold hands

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 12:18 PM
way to ruin a good hole-in-one thread.

Hamhock
3/4/2008, 12:31 PM
the ambassador is a boutique hotel. i stayed there last fall. dinner and drinks at the chalkboard, wild sex at the ambassador. terrific weekend.

JohnnyMack
3/4/2008, 02:08 PM
the ambassador is a boutique hotel. i stayed there last fall. dinner and drinks at the chalkboard, wild sex at the ambassador. terrific weekend.

See, spending time alone isn't all bad, is it?

sooneron
3/4/2008, 02:12 PM
Boutique hotel in stoolwater means indoor plumbing, right?

BigRedJed
3/4/2008, 02:54 PM
A great example of a historic office building converted to boutique hotel is the Colcord (http://www.colcordhotel.com/). It was an office building for about a century. One of the proposals for the renovation/restoration of the Skirvin Hotel (http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/OKCSKHF-The-Skirvin-Hilton-Oklahoma-City-Oklahoma/index.do) was Paul Coury, who did the Ambassador in Tulsa.

He was really disappointed not to get the Skirvin project, but city leaders steered him to the Colcord Building, which was struggling as a class C office space. He gutted it (except for some key public spaces, which he did fantastic preservation work on), and turned it into a fantastic boutique hotel.

The hotel has underperformed a bit, which in my opinion was do to two things: an off-target marketing approach and the lack of association with a national reservation system. They have refined the marketing approach, and seem to be making some good headway. I think the opening of the Skirvin definitely took a bunch of wind out of the sails of the Colcord, due to the Hilton reservation system in part, but also due to the fact that many people in OKC have an emotional/sentimental connection to that building, having been to proms/weddings/graduations there. The Skirvin got a heck of a lot more local hype.

IB4OU2
3/4/2008, 03:07 PM
Boutique hotel in stoolwater means indoor plumbing, right?

Not necessarily......

sooneron
3/4/2008, 03:40 PM
Not necessarily......
So you're saying that it doesn't necessarily have indoor plumbing?

NormanPride
3/4/2008, 03:54 PM
Awesome, the Atlas Grill stays, and the building gets used. The whole tank wins!

bri
3/4/2008, 05:46 PM
TANK BEATS EVERYTHING!!!

BigRedJed
3/4/2008, 06:17 PM
There's a pretty interesting story behind Kanbar and that whole downtown real estate deal, BTW. It sortof reminds me of the Oesman Sapta period for the Skirvin.

Whet
3/4/2008, 06:32 PM
How is the Mayo Hotel doing? Is it running a full capacity?

I have been dreaming of going back to Nelson's for lunch! Next time in town, let's meet for lunch there!

bri
3/4/2008, 10:25 PM
Sigh...RIP, Nelson's. :(

Whet
3/4/2008, 10:54 PM
Sigh...RIP, Nelson's. :(

What???? What's next, ripping up the Main Stree Mall? Moving the original Coney Islander?

KC//CRIMSON
3/4/2008, 10:59 PM
What???? What's next, ripping up the Main Stree Mall? Moving the original Coney Islander?

Technically it moved twelve years ago.

Whet
3/4/2008, 11:38 PM
Geez, I've been gone a long time!!

Boomer.....
3/5/2008, 08:23 AM
Hot wieners

Makes me smile every time. :D

OU4LIFE
3/5/2008, 08:48 AM
mmmmm Nelson's.

did lunch there dang near every day for 4 years. At least it seemed that way.

but that was BEFORE the hole-in-one.

bluedogok
3/6/2008, 10:15 PM
A great example of a historic office building converted to boutique hotel is the Colcord (http://www.colcordhotel.com/). It was an office building for about a century. One of the proposals for the renovation/restoration of the Skirvin Hotel (http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/OKCSKHF-The-Skirvin-Hilton-Oklahoma-City-Oklahoma/index.do) was Paul Coury, who did the Ambassador in Tulsa.

He was really disappointed not to get the Skirvin project, but city leaders steered him to the Colcord Building, which was struggling as a class C office space. He gutted it (except for some key public spaces, which he did fantastic preservation work on), and turned it into a fantastic boutique hotel.

The hotel has underperformed a bit, which in my opinion was do to two things: an off-target marketing approach and the lack of association with a national reservation system. They have refined the marketing approach, and seem to be making some good headway. I think the opening of the Skirvin definitely took a bunch of wind out of the sails of the Colcord, due to the Hilton reservation system in part, but also due to the fact that many people in OKC have an emotional/sentimental connection to that building, having been to proms/weddings/graduations there. The Skirvin got a heck of a lot more local hype.
The Skirvin has had a great year.

The Oklahoman - After a year, the Skirvin is doing just fine (http://newsok.com/article/3211621/)

Here are a couple of quotes from the article link above.

Williams also reports that the hotel has exceeded room occupancy and rate targets. In its first year, the hotel hosted 78,000 guests, 500 meetings and 56 weddings, and served up 77,000 meals.

The hotel also has been racking up awards and honors this year. The statewide chapter of the American Institute of Architects recognized the renovation with a merit award, while AAA gave the hotel its Four Diamond rating for 2008. Hilton Hotels, meanwhile, just ranked the Skirvin 13th out of 273 full-service Hilton Properties in North and South America in the company's Voice of the Customer rankings.

Hopefully The Atlas Building can do something similar, it is a pretty neat old building.